Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Zaphod42 posted:

I thought Heretics were different from Sorcerers or whatever
It's all very nebulous, but the general distinction between a Sorcerer and any other kind of Psyker is that the former use power from daemons to boost their own. Either as bargained favours and/or binding lesser daemons to various bits of their bling to use them as a glorified battery.

E: And since dealing with deamons and carrying around bottles of daemon juice is generally frowned upon in the Imperium, a Sorcerer is automatically a heretic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Here's another angle of that Techpriest with a different head and gun.

That CSM dude is loving amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stephenls posted:

I'm guessing new unit type that answers the question "Wait, wouldn't it make sense for CSMs to use psykers for a role similar to loyalist marine chaplains?"

Dark Apostles are that, they are litterally dark chaplains, and just like chaplains they are not psykers. Chaplains aren't librarians. I don't play CSM anymore but did they get psyker powers?

Its probably just a sorcerer model, but the pose and staff really threw me off at first. That or he's just a really dramatic apostle.

You don't see chaplains flying around usually either. Librarians sure, or Assault marines. But chaplains are usually like, bowing their heads or they're like shouting out some poo poo with outstretched arms.

Groetgaffel posted:

It's all very nebulous, but the general distinction between a Sorcerer and any other kind of Psyker is that the former use power from daemons to boost their own. Either as bargained favours and/or binding lesser daemons to various bits of their bling to use them as a glorified battery.

E: And since dealing with deamons and carrying around bottles of daemon juice is generally frowned upon in the Imperium, a Sorcerer is automatically a heretic.

Yeah I meant Dark Apostle, I couldn't remember what they're called because I never fielded any in my tsons army.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 5, 2019

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

Soviet Commubot posted:

Here's another angle of that Techpriest with a different head and gun.

The steepled fingers and focus on the screen is pure AdMech. So much personality.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
I thought Dark Apostles would be defined as psykers by the imperium, considering they channel powers of the warp and all. Just because they can't take psyker powers in the rules doesn't mean they aren't like psychic lightning rods in the lore what with communicating with and summoning daemons and all. It makes sense for a Dark Apostle to float and hold fistfulls of sulphur lorewise imo, I think people are just getting fluff and crunch mixed up.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

nite_moogle posted:

The steepled fingers and focus on the screen is pure AdMech. So much personality.

From the promo pic I thought he was doing a "Ssssh" motion which I thought was really odd - "Sssshh I'm hwunting gwenestwealers!" Vibe

With the steeples fingers though he looks like a fat goon. So excellent.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

IPA Regulations posted:

I thought Dark Apostles would be defined as psykers by the imperium, considering they channel powers of the warp and all. Just because they can't take psyker powers in the rules doesn't mean they aren't like psychic lightning rods in the lore what with communicating with and summoning daemons and all. It makes sense for a Dark Apostle to float and hold fistfulls of sulphur lorewise imo, I think people are just getting fluff and crunch mixed up.

Fair enough.

I think keeping some imagery distinct between the two makes it easier to tell which is which on the field, but with people fielding proxies and grey plastic (and ~ illegal conversions ~) that's an issue anyways.

The new GSC units look amazing but I also have to echo the goon who said earlier, why so many characters? Hopefully some new GSC units to come as well.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm wondering if they'll be releasing some of these characters as part of another Broodcoven-like set with several on one sprue. That's a bit more realistic than expecting people to buy them all individually at £15-20 each.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Having 2 troop boxes doesn’t mean GSC need more troops, what they have are probably the best looking infantry kit in the game that make a bunch of varied units.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Why is a chaos chaplain jumping through the air?

Probably just took a round in the chest from a space marine.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

So how terrible is this rattle can primer?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ropes4u posted:

So how terrible is this rattle can primer?

IDGI? Looks perfectly fine to me?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

Zaphod42 posted:

Fair enough.

I think keeping some imagery distinct between the two makes it easier to tell which is which on the field, but with people fielding proxies and grey plastic (and ~ illegal conversions ~) that's an issue anyways.

The new GSC units look amazing but I also have to echo the goon who said earlier, why so many characters? Hopefully some new GSC units to come as well.

I'm kind of looking forward to having a load of weird elite-choice characters with abilities and auras and so on, the death guard guy with the plague firehose who rolls 2d6 for strength is a hilarious little fucker.

As far as it goes, adding a fast attack choice with the bikers means that there's now at least one GSC exclusive unit in every slot.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

IDGI? Looks perfectly fine to me?

It looked okay to me too, but I’m new and wanted feedback. I will let them dry until tomorrow then try some batch painting.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Ropes4u posted:

It looked okay to me too, but I’m new and wanted feedback. I will let them dry until tomorrow then try some batch painting.

Yeah you got it, just do more of that.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

eSportseXpert posted:

I'm kind of looking forward to having a load of weird elite-choice characters with abilities and auras and so on, the death guard guy with the plague firehose who rolls 2d6 for strength is a hilarious little fucker.

As far as it goes, adding a fast attack choice with the bikers means that there's now at least one GSC exclusive unit in every slot.

This exactly. I cannot wait to poo poo all over enemy plans with the drill, too.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So the new tech priest isn’t exactly my jam but I’ll get the kill team box that he is in for the other bits. I’m assuming I’ll not struggle to sell the dude on.

I guess we have no idea of release date for this new stuff?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I don't know if there's an official reference somewhere, but just by eye it looks like screamer pink and kabalite green.

Turns out they are both in How To Paint Imperial Knights. Green is Incubi Darkness, Kabalite, Biel Tan and Sybarite. Purple is Screamer Pink, Pink Horror and Bloodletter.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
the new Crimson Fists tactic seems like it combos well with some of the plasma options.

There are suddenly a lot of situations where 3-man plasma inceptors can overcharge safely, and plasma redemptors are no longer causing mortal wounds on 2's if you move if while overcharging units with 10+ models.

character plasma pistols and combis are always safe to overcharge unless you're shooting a single model.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Techpriest might be a Magos Biologist.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Fracking as a GSC plot is right in every way.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
A genesteal techpriest makes so much sense that I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen the idea come up

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Improbable Lobster posted:

A genesteal techpriest makes so much sense that I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen the idea come up

The crossover between GSC and AdMech was baked into the initial design of the minis, 'the cult of the bladed cog' is GW's official phrase for it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Thanqol posted:

The crossover between GSC and AdMech was baked into the initial design of the minis, 'the cult of the bladed cog' is GW's official phrase for it.

I have been a away from the hobby for a while. I don't remember the concept coming up back in like 6th edition or earlier

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
BSF!

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Best Space Friends indeed.

These own.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

When are we playing?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Improbable Lobster posted:

I have been a away from the hobby for a while. I don't remember the concept coming up back in like 6th edition or earlier

Darren Latham had a hand in both ranges and he's talked a few times about purposely making the Skitarii and Neophytes interchangeable.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I was never really happy with the design of the Primaris Chaplain, so this evening I went and kitbashed myself a replacement.

The body is the Aggressor Sergeant with the hood cut off; I very carefully cut off and glued heat vents from a spare regular Primaris backpack I had to the sides to give it the profile of a regular backpack; likewise I cut the tubes off the back of the gravis armor legs.

The arms are from the Intercessor kit. The hands and weapons are from the Primaris Chaplain kit, as is the Iron Halo, the reliquary hanging off his chest (replacing the iron cross looking thing hanging off the Aggressor Sergeant chest), the book, the pistol holster, and the two ribbons hanging from where his chest meets his shoulders (uh, tricky extracting those from the chaplain model...). I wanted to use gravis shoulders but they just couldn't fit over the Intercessor arms so I made due with one generic Intercessor shoulder and the one detachable shoulder from the Chaplain kit. The blue sight is from an Easy to Build Intercessor (obviously) and the extended pistol magazine is from a spare Intercessor stalker bolter doodad. The head is, of course, a Reiver head; I really didn't want to use it, to the extent that I bought skull helmets from Shapeways, but those just didn't work out and going with the Reiver head with the rivets really makes a difference.

Also there's a bunch of extra purity seals from various places that I just pulled out of my purity seals bag. If there were ever a time to go crazy with purity seals, it's a custom chaplain, right?

I'm reasonably happy with it!

The one element of it I'm not satisfied with, ironically, is the bird skull, taken from the Citadel Skulls kit and incautiously glued to the shoulder pad before I stuck the shoulder pad on the dude, for reasons that made sense at the time but which I can no longer explain. I may try to fix it, or at least produce a better effect, by drilling a hole through the eye socket and then stringing some thread through it and looping it under the shoulder pad so it looks like it's lashed there.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Really hoping when GW says ‘Early 2019’ that doesn’t mean genestealer cult could show up march. It’s about as nebulous as you can get with a release. Mostly because eBay bucks expire in February.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Badablack posted:

Really hoping when GW says ‘Early 2019’ that doesn’t mean genestealer cult could show up march. It’s about as nebulous as you can get with a release. Mostly because eBay bucks expire in February.

I'm confident we'll see them in the first half of Feb. GW has an informal 3 month window for previewing new releases, and the codex & first round of models were shown at the end of November. Plus the new Chaos / Black Legion / Vigilus stuff looks like it's due for March, so they'll want GSC all wrapped up first.

My money says we get today's final wave of AoS Goblins, a week or two of releases for the smaller games (Shadespire, AT, Killteam, etc) then GSC.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Abaddon's 80 day limit for the fall of Vigilus is late Feb I think. I'd expect things to fit in with that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

I was never really happy with the design of the Primaris Chaplain, so this evening I went and kitbashed myself a replacement.

The body is the Aggressor Sergeant with the hood cut off; I very carefully cut off and glued heat vents from a spare regular Primaris backpack I had to the sides to give it the profile of a regular backpack; likewise I cut the tubes off the back of the gravis armor legs.

The arms are from the Intercessor kit. The hands and weapons are from the Primaris Chaplain kit, as is the Iron Halo, the reliquary hanging off his chest (replacing the iron cross looking thing hanging off the Aggressor Sergeant chest), the book, the pistol holster, and the two ribbons hanging from where his chest meets his shoulders (uh, tricky extracting those from the chaplain model...). I wanted to use gravis shoulders but they just couldn't fit over the Intercessor arms so I made due with one generic Intercessor shoulder and the one detachable shoulder from the Chaplain kit. The blue sight is from an Easy to Build Intercessor (obviously) and the extended pistol magazine is from a spare Intercessor stalker bolter doodad. The head is, of course, a Reiver head; I really didn't want to use it, to the extent that I bought skull helmets from Shapeways, but those just didn't work out and going with the Reiver head with the rivets really makes a difference.

Also there's a bunch of extra purity seals from various places that I just pulled out of my purity seals bag. If there were ever a time to go crazy with purity seals, it's a custom chaplain, right?

I'm reasonably happy with it!

The one element of it I'm not satisfied with, ironically, is the bird skull, taken from the Citadel Skulls kit and incautiously glued to the shoulder pad before I stuck the shoulder pad on the dude, for reasons that made sense at the time but which I can no longer explain. I may try to fix it, or at least produce a better effect, by drilling a hole through the eye socket and then stringing some thread through it and looping it under the shoulder pad so it looks like it's lashed there.

That really does look fantastic. Did you use super glue or plastic glue? If it's super you can still crack the skull off.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That really does look fantastic. Did you use super glue or plastic glue? If it's super you can still crack the skull off.

It’s plastic cement.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

It’s plastic cement.

Oh. Uh... enjoy your skull.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Stephenls posted:

Just awesome!

What don’t you like about the Primaris Chaplain model? That’s one seems to be gushed over by most.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Der Waffle Mous posted:

the new Crimson Fists tactic seems like it combos well with some of the plasma options.

There are suddenly a lot of situations where 3-man plasma inceptors can overcharge safely, and plasma redemptors are no longer causing mortal wounds on 2's if you move if while overcharging units with 10+ models.

character plasma pistols and combis are always safe to overcharge unless you're shooting a single model.

I hadn’t even considered how this helps Inceptors and Aggressors!

Trying new Vigilus / WD Crimson Fist stuff today for the first time. Going to be a small 1000 point game against a guy using an IG guy using an Armored Company I think so not much use for the new Chapter Tactic. Going to run the Vigilus Liberator Strike Force so will at least get to try a few new things.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Just awesome!

What don’t you like about the Primaris Chaplain model? That’s one seems to be gushed over by most.

Because of one piece of art that I saw one time and liked (I’m aware I’m being unreasonable), I have two specific preferences in chaplains:

1) Regular space marine armor, exaggeratedly stylized to the point where it looks like a walking refrigerator. Like, not terminator armor, just regular armor that looks super bulky to the point where the head looks tiny perched on top of it. Have purity seals and stuff dangling over it, but don’t cover it in a robe—or, if it is covered in a robe, make sure the silhouette is dominated by the underlying armor, as if the fabric were very thin and covering something very bulky.

2) A skull helmet, but not a helmet pretending to be a real skull. Just a helmet with a skull embossed on it. Not a regular helmet with a skull painted on, either, like the Grimaldus mini has. Something like these. (I have those, in fact in practice I found they’re just slightly too large and the 3D printed resin isn’t quite up to representing the detail on the face; this would be better, if I were up to sculpting at that size, which I’m not.)

Turns out there isn’t an existing chaplain mini I like; they either have robes or they’ve got a non-skull helmet or they’ve got a helmet that’s modeled to look like an entire skull and it just looks kind of goofy, or they’re in Terminator armor or they’ve got a lot of chapter-specific iconography.

The Primaris Chaplain model is good for what it is. I just want something else.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 6, 2019

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

IPA Regulations posted:

IIRC most Chaos units use sorcery, not psyker powers, where psyker power is an individual drawing energy from the warp and manipulating it through their own talents and sorcery is doing the same thing through pacts with a warp entity. It's not a very important distinction mechanically but it does mean that Psykers are rare and behave mostly the same while literally everything on the Chaos side is technically involved in sorcery to some degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
It's really dumb but I'm so excited to see the Manufactorum and Sector Fronteris terrain kits. I don't even want to paint miniatures at this point, I just want to magnetize and paint loads of buildings.