Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
As it turns out, NavCanada being private has yet another advantage.

Mind you I believe our government also lacks a mechanism to shut itself down on its own deranged whim, so it probably wouldn't be a concern.

Best of luck and hopefully y'all's country gets back on its rocker shortly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

MrYenko posted:

If you have an A-side and they’re telling you you’re furloughed, contact your rep IMMEDIATELY. If they refuse to help you, PM me, or email me at username at the googles.

Operationally certified means you’re essential.

I sent my area rep an email asking for clarification on what's going on. The "don't come in we'll find out more after Christmas," came from another trainee who's also A side certified. I don't mind asking questions and pressing a few buttons if it means I'll (eventually) get paid.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I don't know how I make it through this shutdown without killing one of the several people that have asked "how is this not slavery?!? :byodood: "

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

I don't know how I make it through this shutdown without killing one of the several people that have asked "how is this not slavery?!? :byodood: "

It’s my last couple days as rep, and since I garnered an entire six votes, I’ve answered every stupid loving I-can’t-be-bothered-to-read-my-loving-email shutdown question with “I don’t loving care about your problems, read your loving email.”

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

hey I'm not in natca (I've heard about a quintillion natca commercials on nats radio broadcasts tho) but I thought the Senate passed something saying all the employees would get paid before they hosed off for the holidays, which may or may not be meaningless, but the House will be Democratic next pay period too

given that poo poo, I wonder why natca thinks you won't get paid? eventually

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Chillbro Baggins posted:

In the context of this thread? Airliners.

Well sonuva bitch!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
The last time there was that one day shutdown my area took 7 sick leave hits while I don't think the other areas had any. We took 3 sick leave hits last night and we're already up to 3 tonight. Just real quality people.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Today seem way busier than normal for anyone else? I feel like traffic was down maybe 20% from a normal day. Which was cool since they let us go down to 6 people and we had to open 5 sectors and throw a D-side on one. Gotta love those 1:45 sessions on Christmas day!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Look at this guy, senior enough that Tuesday Christmas isn’t an RDO.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Look at this guy, senior enough that Tuesday Christmas isn’t an RDO.

:lol:

I'm 37 and have 7 people under me in seniority. #1 in my area is 9 years older than me. I actually had some options as far as training lines for this year but took Wed/Thurs because gently caress having weekends off. I'm Tues/Weds this upcoming year and had an option on five different crews. Doing things in a hosed up fashion also goes to bidding for my area.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I have two full crews underneath me, and I’m still TUE/WED/THU next year. I’m expecting to be on that crew until the heat death of the universe.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I have two full crews underneath me, and I’m still TUE/WED/THU next year. I’m expecting to be on that crew until the heat death of the universe.

I'm in the exact same spot I was in KC. I'd at least have a bunch of trainees under me there though. Someone tried to bring up losing all my seniority if I took a supe job and I just laughed at them.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1079028026128650241

:toot:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Hard not to feel a little piled on.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Great timing, dumbass. When’s the election again?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Great timing, dumbass. When’s the election again?

He doesn't give a poo poo. He already said that all the furloughed workers are Democrats. His base loves it and the right is pushing the "non-essential workers are non-essential for a reason, fire them and use the money to build the wall" angle really hard. I'm surprised he hasn't tweeted about using the pay freeze money to pay for it yet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Kind of related, my wife became eligible to retire a few months ago. Events of the last month have pretty much sealed that she won’t be working by next Christmas.

Good luck to you guys, I mean that sincerely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I hope that when he's no longer president, planes are routed over that fucker's house at low altitude until the day he dies.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

PT6A posted:

I hope that when he's no longer president, planes are routed over that fucker's house at low altitude until the day he dies.

But that would be cruel and unusual punishment for the rest of the prison

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016

its all nice on rice posted:

I sent my area rep an email asking for clarification on what's going on. The "don't come in we'll find out more after Christmas," came from another trainee who's also A side certified. I don't mind asking questions and pressing a few buttons if it means I'll (eventually) get paid.

If you're still sitting at home - you should be asking your RVP why. Any operationally certified (A-Side and up) employee should be at work.

PM me and i'll send you some info to contact someone

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

TangoFox posted:

If you're still sitting at home - you should be asking your RVP why. Any operationally certified (A-Side and up) employee should be at work.

PM me and i'll send you some info to contact someone

Rep said that (in a nutshell) the FAA gave facility managers the decision as to who is essential, an ours decided that A-sides were not.
What really sucks is that we were supposed to start D-side labs today.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

Rep said that (in a nutshell) the FAA gave facility managers the decision as to who is essential, an ours decided that A-sides were not.
What really sucks is that we were supposed to start D-side labs today.

Thats not the loving facility manager's call. Your rep is rolling over and throwing you under the bus.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

Thats not the loving facility manager's call. Your rep is rolling over and throwing you under the bus.

NATCA!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Rep rolling over or not, we were notified by NATCA and management that we're staying home until further notice.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/1081258348937445376

How long before the NAS stops functioning? First missed paycheck will obviously do something, I think poo poo would grind to a halt by the second one.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ZTL and A80 have apparently warned adjacent facilities that since meetings regarding special events are not part of essential duties and therefore aren’t happening, we can expect 50-100MIT during the Super Bowl.

I expect the shutdown to end that Monday.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

ZTL and A80 have apparently warned adjacent facilities that since meetings regarding special events are not part of essential duties and therefore aren’t happening, we can expect 50-100MIT during the Super Bowl.

I expect the shutdown to end that Monday.

That will go up since poo poo will have already hit the fan if we're still shut down at that point.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
At some point does this get worse for you guys? I know you're already on "essential duties only" but if this thing continues are they eventually going to start cutting back staffing? I imagine that if they stop your pay we're suddenly going to see 5 hour EDCTs popping up everywhere like we did with the sequester.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

KodiakRS posted:

At some point does this get worse for you guys? I know you're already on "essential duties only" but if this thing continues are they eventually going to start cutting back staffing? I imagine that if they stop your pay we're suddenly going to see 5 hour EDCTs popping up everywhere like we did with the sequester.

Too bad deicing crews wouldn't also be reduced, this combined with that would jack actual block times through the roof!

e: woops it's the ATC thread! Just joking guyz :keke:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

The plan is literally “expect controllers to come to work indefinitely without pay until the shutdown ends this will totally work out fine and not have any repercussions.”

I know of at least one (typically ignorant) controller at my facility who has asked if it is expected to go past two weeks, since they can’t go that long without a paycheck.

:stonklol:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

I know of at least one (typically ignorant) controller at my facility who has asked if it is expected to go past two weeks, since they can’t go that long without a paycheck.

:stonklol:

There are plenty of these everywhere. I'm good for 6+ months, most people would probably be lucky to make it one.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
There are plenty of level 5 controllers who don't exactly rake in the big bucks too. No excuse for bad planning but everyone's situation is different and those guys with more modest take home pays will run into issues much sooner than us better off workers.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

lol at the millions or maybe it's a lower order of magnitude of people who voted for Trump to be their boss

they deserve anything

including both your and my shithead coworkers

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Ferret King posted:

There are plenty of level 5 controllers who don't exactly rake in the big bucks too. No excuse for bad planning but everyone's situation is different and those guys with more modest take home pays will run into issues much sooner than us better off workers.

Some peoples emergency funds are not as robust as others, agreed. Going off an emergency fund calculator someone making only $3k a month saving for a 6 month fund ($18k) by putting 30% from each months earning away would take about a year and a half. Now if median rent in the town you live in is half your paycheck, 30% isn't always possible so it may take longer...

Oh wait this is more of a controller-centric conversation, I'll see my flight data rear end out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

If you don't get paid, or it gets "delayed" because of bullshit you can't control, ain't nothing wrong with not going into work anymore.

We don't let student pilots fly on credit, I don't work for clients on the hope that their idea "pays off" and then they'll pay me. You pay, I work, end of story. The fact that y'all's government is so deeply loving dysfunctional doesn't change that. Working on a vague promise is some loving bullshit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Working on a vague promise is some loving bullshit.

It's not really a vague promise for the people that are actually working. If we don't eventually get paid there are much bigger things to worry about since the government has collapsed. This obviously doesn't help the people that have a mortgage payment in SoCal that's due tomorrow.

Not paying furloughed people is a whole different can of worms. That's an ugly road to go down and I don't think Congress is stupid enough to do it. And that's from someone that has zero faith in the government to not do the stupidest poo poo possible at any given moment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fknlo posted:

It's not really a vague promise for the people that are actually working. If we don't eventually get paid there are much bigger things to worry about since the government has collapsed. This obviously doesn't help the people that have a mortgage payment in SoCal that's due tomorrow.

Not paying furloughed people is a whole different can of worms. That's an ugly road to go down and I don't think Congress is stupid enough to do it. And that's from someone that has zero faith in the government to not do the stupidest poo poo possible at any given moment.

Meh, I suppose that's true, but at the same time, I've spent most of my life as a contract worker, and if you want Net 60 or Net 90 terms, that poo poo's gonna cost you bigly and you'll pay quite a deposit up front.

No one should ever work if they're not being paid as their employer agreed to pay them.

Does the contract include language to the effect of "you might be hosed over by the vicissitudes of the deranged American political system, and you still have to show up to work?"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The controllers can just go on strik-ahahahahahahahahahha

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just got an email from our facrep saying that the agency is going to be investigating sick leave usage during the shutdown. Gonna be some letters getting sent out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Just got an email from our facrep saying that the agency is going to be investigating sick leave usage during the shutdown. Gonna be some letters getting sent out.

They really don’t have a loving clue.

It would be comical if it were happening to someone else.