Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
PDS easily replaces the turret anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

FFF #276: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-276

For 0.17 they're updating the spacing between items on a belt so that a compressed belt always holds exactly 8 items per tile and throughput is in multiples of 15 instead of 13.33.

This pleases me greatly.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Paper Tiger posted:

FFF #276: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-276

For 0.17 they're updating the spacing between items on a belt so that a compressed belt always holds exactly 8 items per tile and throughput is in multiples of 15 instead of 13.33.

This pleases me greatly.

This is a good change.

Now I'll need to redo all my belt furnace blueprints to fully utilize the new throughput.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Invincible tank thanks to repair drones is the best. just :killdozer: them all, you don't even need ammo!

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Count Roland posted:

Just toss grenades. The best part of the tank is that it isn't made of glass.

True, the ability to toss grenades out of the tank is pretty great

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Thanks Gargantua, the latch works, as well as some other gadgets such as a sushi belt, a timer, something that divides output into chests evenly. Those seemed to be the more helpful combinator recipes from the wiki. Are there any other common uses of combinators in the pre-robotics stage? I get how these work but I'm not sure the mechanics are clear enough for me to make original constructions yet.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
So I started a game on the "Train" setting to try and space things out a bit and encourage train usage, since I find them interesting....but I can't find oil anywhere - is it possible to turn off the oil display? Could I have done that somehow? Or am I just getting really, really unlucky with where I'm exploring? :)

e: I've explored this much so far with no oil that I can see...

e2: gently caress, the map generation just hates me, I finally found some...

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 5, 2019

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Ha, that's pretty funny. With defaultish world settings I usually find oil much closer than that so I'm holding out hope there is some nearby your base. You could explore in a circle or throw up a couple radars for a few minutes to scan things out. Or, use... trains?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I did finally find more patches, including some quite a bit closer, but I'm having trouble deciding how to setup trains to get things going.

I've never done a main bus before, but it seems to be the most common way to rig things up, so I'm considering finding room to do that, but not sure how to work it with trains involved and with my map layout... open to suggestions :)

I suppose I could just find a more open area and start bringing in ore for smelting?

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 5, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Magus42 posted:

I did finally find more patches, including some quite a bit closer, but I'm having trouble deciding how to setup trains to get things going.

I've never done a main bus before, but it seems to be the most common way to rig things up, so I'm considering finding room to do that, but not sure how to work it with trains involved and with my map layout... open to suggestions :)

I suppose I could just find a more open area and start bringing in ore for smelting?

I usually do something like this:

If you want some inspiration you can go check out KatherineOfSky or whoever you prefer on YouTube and watch some choice bits of a megabase let's play and you'll see plenty of bus.

e: also, build radars

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 5, 2019

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Thanks, I'll see if I can work something like that

TheFluff posted:

e: also, build radars

I'm in a no-biter game for now while I get the hang of things :)

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Magus42 posted:

I'm in a no-biter game for now while I get the hang of things :)

Radars give remote vision around them, which you'll be able to use to remotely build things when you get robots, and also passively "explore" surrounding areas for you. They're great no matter if you have biters or not, you should throw them up around any mining outposts and train tracks you build just to find more stuff.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Radars are worth building everywhere, just for the remote vision they provide! Check the minimap as you're placing them to see the area they will reveal on the map for you. :)

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Since it took me forever to work it out, you can use remote vision by scrolling in on the map screen. If a radar is nearby you'll scroll all the way in to the regular view. Great for when you get a biter attack warning and want to go have a peek at how serious it is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fans posted:

Since it took me forever to work it out, you can use remote vision by scrolling in on the map screen. If a radar is nearby you'll scroll all the way in to the regular view. Great for when you get a biter attack warning and want to go have a peek at how serious it is.

And while in this view you can remotely place blueprints for your bots! full automation now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are there any cons to bussing iron gears besides, well, having a wider bus? Seems like the things are loving everywhere so I thought I'd dedicate a bus lane or two this time

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
One potential con is that your gear production is decoupled from the consumption so keeping production up requires more vigilance than just plopping down some perfect ratio blueprint that generates gears inline

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Ciaphas posted:

Are there any cons to bussing iron gears besides, well, having a wider bus? Seems like the things are loving everywhere so I thought I'd dedicate a bus lane or two this time

No cons, gears are much more compact that plates. Just don't accidentally convert all your iron into gears and then into blue belts I guess? Blue belts eat up an incredible amount of iron if you're not paying attention.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ciaphas posted:

Iron gears are more compact than iron plates so they make your bus narrower

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

M_Gargantua posted:

No cons, gears are much more compact that plates. Just don't accidentally convert all your iron into gears and then into blue belts I guess? Blue belts eat up an incredible amount of iron if you're not paying attention.

Hell, I made that mistake with red on my last save, I shudder to think of doing that on blue. Chest inventory limits (or circuits) are your friend~

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Ugh I got the itch to restart playing only two days ago and now I keep telling myself to wait for the update. I wonder if Angelbob's function will be undisturbed by the update, given that it's probably all novel entities and recipes :v:.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of mistakes made, ugh, build a drat radar at the start. I'd have seen all these massive loving cliff ranges to my west, right on the bus line, if I had. :sigh:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of mistakes made, ugh, build a drat radar at the start. I'd have seen all these massive loving cliff ranges to my west, right on the bus line, if I had. :sigh:
You can blow up cliffs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

That's post-oil, right? I hit the end of the line after just barely getting green science going, so I either have to turn the bus and rebuild or, uh, restart with cliffs off in mapgen :v:

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

LLSix posted:

Iron gears are more compact than iron plates so they make your bus narrower

Just also remember that 1 lane of gears takes two lanes of plate (before production modules) to make. So if you only have, say, 4 smelter lanes of iron plate coming out, and send two to make a lane of gears, it doesn't matter how many belts are on your bus since if those gears get consumed you've only really got 2 lanes of iron plate on your bus.

Biggest advantage of having a dedicated gear bus is being able to easily upgrade it to use prod later on - all the gears are made in one place, so it's easy to just rebuild that area instead of going around finding all the individual gear assemblers spread around.

Also, when planning your bus, no matter how well you think you've planned everything, leave room for at least 50% more lanes, if not double, than initially planned for. Leave room for pipes - each "lane" of pipe should have room for at least two tiles so you don't have to do weird squiggly things to get your undergrounds lined up without intersecting other pipes. If you end up not needing the room, all you've done is spent a few extra belt, but if you do you save a lot of time in not having to tear up and rebuild half a bus.

In this base, my bus runs left to right.

That big section of vertical lines to the right of the copper smelters is just a giant runoff area I left room for expanding my bus if I need to.

(Almost) all of my intermediates are made below the bottom stone path. I didn't leave enough room to put plastics on the bus before red chips wanted to take them off, which is why they're shoved in the top left corner. Good thing I had extra unused space there! Blue chips are temporary just to get me through pre-space science until I can clear that copper patch.

Another option for bus design/spacing is to leave an extra set of lanes open between each planned lane - this gives you more room to both add lanes in the future as well as route products off the bus. If you're going to have a consumer use a mixed belt, why send 2 full belts out from the bus when you could mix it inside the bus and send just one belt. I kind of do this in my current design (2 tiles is just enough space if you get creative) but having an extra space there would make it easier. Otherwise it can turn into very spaghetti very quickly:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Roflex posted:

Another option for bus design/spacing is to leave an extra set of lanes open between each planned lane - this gives you more room to both add lanes in the future as well as route products off the bus. If you're going to have a consumer use a mixed belt, why send 2 full belts out from the bus when you could mix it inside the bus and send just one belt. I kind of do this in my current design (2 tiles is just enough space if you get creative) but having an extra space there would make it easier. Otherwise it can turn into very spaghetti very quickly:

I leave two empty tiles between every 4 bus belts, and it's plenty. Also, since they added splitter output priority, I never put actual balancers on the bus anymore - anything that needs a full yellow belt of something gets a splitter with output priority, and then I use a few more splitters with the same configuration to shift the other lanes one step upwards. It gets much easier to keep track of how the bus is tapering off that way, and it's super easy to ensure that something that needs N full yellow belts gets them.

Obligatory screenshots:

Map:

Bus:

To the far right on the iron plates you can see three lanes going off into the military science factory (which does eat three full yellow belts if it's running all out) so after that there's not much left of those belts. Still, a few splitters and it all gets consolidated into the top lane.

Currently bottlenecked by miners - I have plenty of ore but I need to go find more patches to put more miners on so I can have more throughput.

Also, wriggling yourself out of not having quite enough space is at least a third of the fun with the game :colbert: (another third is trainsperging)

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 6, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Big buses can be really deceptive because they make things look plentiful when they're backed up, and then you add something that actually consumes things and suddenly the entire bus is empty. If you have four belts of iron plate coming out of your smelters, you should not still have four belts of iron plate halfway down your bus.

I stick with max two belts of any given product (which works well when you're putting gaps at yellow-underground-length - each product can split off from one side, then you can rebalance the "inside" belt to the outside) - if you need more than that further down the line, add more lanes further out and then merge them back into the bus itself at they point they become necessary.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
It begins!

(it feels backwards building this out with red belts already, due to my loving around early-game without a bus)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Jabor posted:

Big buses can be really deceptive because they make things look plentiful when they're backed up, and then you add something that actually consumes things and suddenly the entire bus is empty. If you have four belts of iron plate coming out of your smelters, you should not still have four belts of iron plate halfway down your bus.

I stick with max two belts of any given product (which works well when you're putting gaps at yellow-underground-length - each product can split off from one side, then you can rebalance the "inside" belt to the outside) - if you need more than that further down the line, add more lanes further out and then merge them back into the bus itself at they point they become necessary.

The point of having lots of belts on a bus is being able to support lots of heavy consumers, as long as not every single one of them is active at the same time (and to have all your smelters and train stations in the same place, I guess). If full capacity for every consumer on the bus is necessary, then a bus probably isn't the right tool for the job at all, and it'll be more fun and use a lot less belts to just go all in on local dedicated production. In my case though I know my science stuff will eat almost exactly eight full yellow belts of iron because I designed it that way, but I don't run it all out all the time so I've attached a whole bunch of other poo poo to the bus as well. With splitter output priority it's super easy to have priority consumers if you want them. (Or in other words, I agree with you that buses should taper off down the line.)

Magus42 posted:

(it feels backwards building this out with red belts already, due to my loving around early-game without a bus)

Red belts are good for buses, you'll use half as much space as with yellows.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jan 6, 2019

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I wish there was a better way to generate mud later in Bob's. If you're doing anything with farming at a large scale, the size of your mud production area ends up absolutely massive (yes, I know, beacons :v:).

simble
May 11, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

That's post-oil, right? I hit the end of the line after just barely getting green science going, so I either have to turn the bus and rebuild or, uh, restart with cliffs off in mapgen :v:

You can also use underground belts to go through cliffs.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Magus42 posted:

It begins!

I would save myself so much trouble if I made each belt on the bus an underground belt apart, instead of just picking something arbitrarily big.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

simble posted:

You can also use underground belts to go through cliffs.

Good to know! It was like a fuckin forest of cliffs that way though, no room for new builds even with undergrounding :v:

Later today I was thinking I might restart with that Quick Start mod on medium; apparently that gives you, among a bunch of other poo poo to kinda skip past the burner phase, 50 construction bots with generator, batteries and personal roboports to run em. It's rare that I get to the Bot Phase of gameplay so might be an interesting changeup

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.

Ciaphas posted:

skip past the burner phase

Oh you mean 15 minutes into a new game without mods :smug:

Really wish the burner phase was longer, there is the AII mod that does that but it is hilariously unbalanced to the point of some of the supposed burner stuff being better than vanilla electricity.

I see people saying that .17 is coming out this month, any specific wording or actual planning for that? I saw on the December FF that they said it would be a couple months more but they were probably referring to.18

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jeesis posted:

Oh you mean 15 minutes into a new game without mods :smug:

Really wish the burner phase was longer, there is the AII mod that does that but it is hilariously unbalanced to the point of some of the supposed burner stuff being better than vanilla electricity.

I see people saying that .17 is coming out this month, any specific wording or actual planning for that? I saw on the December FF that they said it would be a couple months more but they were probably referring to.18

hey it's 15+30+ minutes I don't gotta spend right clicking stone for one more furnace to get things moving :v:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Magus42 posted:

It begins!

You can get those circuits to fill both sides of the output belt if you switch the iron supply to use underground belts near the second assembler and then output that assembler with a regular inserter onto a belt that is side loading on the output belt.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I get the feeling I'm stretching on this one, but: is there any way to lay down blueprint ghosts and NOT have them immediately fulfilled by construction bots, besides deconstructing the robotics network in the area? For visualizing layouts and the like.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 6, 2019

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

I get the feeling I'm stretching on this one, but: is there any way to lay down blueprint ghosts and NOT have them immediately fulfilled by construction bots, besides deconstructing the robotics network in the area? For visualizing layouts and the like.

I've always had to go off to another empty area outside the network to futz with my blueprints. If I'm doing something where I have to try and fit it into an existing part of my base I'll make a blueprint of that area, then paste that into the empty area before trying to build within/around the ghosts.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

hey it's 15+30+ minutes I don't gotta spend right clicking stone for one more furnace to get things moving :v:

Mine the big rocks. Each one gives enough stone for multiple furnaces, and sometimes you get coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh, you CAN mine those :doh: