Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Insanite posted:

So were you dropped on your head as a child or was it just a lot of lead paint

Down is up... it makes perfect sense!
Forums user insanite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Extremely this

Extremely

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

When I first found Jim Sterling from reading Escapist I sort of enjoyed him but the honeymoon wore off quickly once I started actually having to listen to him and look at him, and he just rails on the same poo poo over and over and is so over dramatic about all of it. You can tell the guy's entire world is video games and it's off putting as gently caress. Even if he can be funny on occasion. Also that top hat with a corset on it is just unforgivable.

I still watch his videos once in a while though lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 6, 2019

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
have yall ever tried inverted z. it makes poo poo thats far away up close, and it makes poo poo thats up close, far away

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

veni veni veni posted:

When I first found Jim Sterling from reading Escapist I sort of enjoyed him but the honeymoon wore off quickly once I started actually having to listen to him and look at him, and he just rails on the same poo poo over and over and is so over dramatic about all of it. You can tell the guy's entire world is video games and it's off putting as gently caress. Even if he can be funny on occasion. Also that top hat with a corset on it is just unforgivable.

I still watch his videos once in a while though lol.

Same but Angry Joe. I both hate him but like when he shits on a bad game

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I play inverted Y because before 3d camera controls were the norm, every game with them defaulted to it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Thank god for Sterdust.

I thought he was really bad and then somewhere I saw some clip of him wrestling. So I looked into it and the dude is actually getting in the ring. Gotta admire someone who is willing to do it.

Anyway, I watched some of his vids and once I got past the schtick I realized that he is a good writer who knows his poo poo and is on our side. He might be repetitive but it's about the poo poo that really needs to change. And during the time when everyone was sucking Breath of the Wilds dick, he gave it a 7/10 because that's what the game is. As much as it has some incredible aspects, it also has some major flaws. 7/10 is a good game.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The cum thing was him claiming some game that was made by Devolver Digital made him the cum. The game itself was literally a bunch of dicks and ball with buttholes and it was basically a bunch of 4-player minigames involving getting the dicks and balls to gently caress each other's buttholes.

I know the more I describe it, the more it just sounds like posting in D&D, but that is actually the most accurate description.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

having to adjust the settings of the game to change the y-axis is probably a mental disability, I don't even care about that sort of thing and I'm pretty sure most other people don't, either

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

people who invert the y axis probably have their dick and balls inverted i.e balls on top of dick

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Thanks for breaking it down

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

having to adjust the settings of the game to change the y-axis is probably a mental disability, I don't even care about that sort of thing and I'm pretty sure most other people don't, either

Most systems just have an option you set on the dash and it gets applied to every game you start.
I could probably learn how to play un-inverted if I used it for a month like when I switched from keyboard only to mouselook but I don't see any reason to.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No actually my eyeballs just move up or down while my head stays level doofus. Inverted is for weird rear end twitchy eccentric people who gesticulate too much and should probably live on the street

With a strict diet and exercise regimen you should be able to regain the movement of other parts of your body than just the eyes. Godspeed.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjM8woqBOX8

Inverted Y is correct

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

actually, the opposite of whatever this nerd says is probably the actual truth

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Or just use which ever way you enjoy the most :yayclod::rory::yaycloud:
There's people who like playing with the controller upside down

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jan 6, 2019

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Oh gently caress I saw one of those nerds when I was a kid. The shiela used the mouse upside down, and clicked with the meaty part of her palms.

I have attempted to replicate this at least once a year, every year of my life since seeing it, and cannot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

McGiggins posted:

Oh gently caress I saw one of those nerds when I was a kid. The shiela used the mouse upside down, and clicked with the meaty part of her palms.

I have attempted to replicate this at least once a year, every year of my life since seeing it, and cannot.

This post took on an accent suddenly

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Don't country shame

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Getting mad or caring that someone else uses inverted or non inverted controls is just another log on the world's biggest bonfire of proof that gamers are a bunch of doofuses. Who loving cares.

E: Also full inverted Y and X axis makes the most logical sense but almost no one uses it cause it's weird .

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 6, 2019

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Getting mad or caring that someone else uses inverted or non inverted controls is just another log on the world's biggest bonfire of proof that gamers are a bunch of doofuses. Who loving cares.

This. It's the most inconsequential thing to care about

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
but you see if other people dont play the game the same way i play the game then i'm playing the game wrong. which means they have to be playing the game wrong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still find my philosophy of 'play games exactly to your personal satisfaction in whatever way works for you, no more and no less' is by far the best option.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Except people who play Bloodborne with the brightness all the way up.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

a bone to pick posted:

Same but Angry Joe. I both hate him but like when he shits on a bad game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTNkoDzP1hI

Long vid but it's hilarious to see a gamer try to fight against the gaming entertainment industry and just get slammed around so hard

highlights are pretty close to the start of the video where he barely gets any attention from Geoff Keighley, the VGA guy

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Flannelette posted:

Except people who play Bloodborne with the brightness all the way up.

Ah yes, the "Dark Souls 2" graphic settings.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

You're not wrong but surely some irony can be found in you complaining about people bickering about stupid poo poo in a video game thread in gbs.

And I suspect that nobody is mad. It's even doubtful that anyone cares.

It's complicated.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

the game that made me stop inverting Y was anachronox, a classic western JRPG in the quake 2 engine, because that game switches between 3d control and using a mouse cursor over the 3d world. Inverting Y never makes sense for a mouse cursor, and switching between the two in that format with 3d inverted was really confusing for whichever part of the brain is responsible for this kind of motion translation

My brain still expects inverted Y for flying in 3d but that's about it.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 6, 2019

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I don't care about what a game is rated, although its funny to think about how much poo poo Jeff Gerstmann caught for an 8.8, but Breath of the Wild is an incredible game and I think acting like it's just okay is the most tryhard of hot takes. Obviously, it has flaws, but the fact that they made a Zelda game that you can beat 4 times over in the time that it would take you to complete the tutorial zone in a normal Zelda is out of this world. I really hope they stick to the open format going forward.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
What you don't seem to be grasping is that the game has some really big flaws. They are not small nitpicks. And beyond that, the things that are so great often are a detriment to others. I've talked to many people who got bored while on the plateau. It has what amounts to a 3 hour tutorial. That's really long and it turns people off. But weapon durability being a joke is not a good thing. You may not have minded but most people did. It didn't make the game more fun, it got in the way of the game being more fun. On top of that there are very few monster types out and about so combat gets repetitive and annoying very fast.

It's a 7/10. Could have been much better with just a couple adjustments.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a new study bible! posted:

I don't care about what a game is rated, although its funny to think about how much poo poo Jeff Gerstmann caught for an 8.8, but Breath of the Wild is an incredible game and I think acting like it's just okay is the most tryhard of hot takes. Obviously, it has flaws, but the fact that they made a Zelda game that you can beat 4 times over in the time that it would take you to complete the tutorial zone in a normal Zelda is out of this world. I really hope they stick to the open format going forward.

Zelda games have always been open world, since Zelda 1. thats the whole point

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

After the 8.8 I don't think I've ever seen so many variations of "jeff's fat" in such a short time.
Unpopular opinion: watching jeff grow up before our eyes from a fat man who talks about games into a fat, old, bald, grumpy man who talks about games is blessed.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

Just so we're clear, you're mad that people don't like a game because it's got good reviews so everyone should like it, right?

BotW is literally the most boring open world game I've ever played. The combat is bad. The cooking stuff is stupid. The world has next to nothing in it. The only thing it has going for it is being pretty. It's not even okay, it's straight up awful.

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Waltzing Along posted:

What you don't seem to be grasping is that the game has some really big flaws. They are not small nitpicks. And beyond that, the things that are so great often are a detriment to others. I've talked to many people who got bored while on the plateau. It has what amounts to a 3 hour tutorial. That's really long and it turns people off. But weapon durability being a joke is not a good thing. You may not have minded but most people did. It didn't make the game more fun, it got in the way of the game being more fun. On top of that there are very few monster types out and about so combat gets repetitive and annoying very fast.

It's a 7/10. Could have been much better with just a couple adjustments.

Weapon degradation forces ingenuity. I found mysellf without a paddle in a lot of situations and were forced to think outside of the box to kill enemies.

My biggest gripe with the game is the lack of real dungeons and the fact that I can't climb in the rain.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Rutibex posted:

Zelda games have always been open world, since Zelda 1. thats the whole point

Alttp basically has you on rails for a good portion of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Smoke Break posted:

Weapon degradation forces ingenuity. I found mysellf without a paddle in a lot of situations and were forced to think outside of the box to kill enemies.

My biggest gripe with the game is the lack of real dungeons and the fact that I can't climb in the rain.

Can you fight with a paddle Miyamoto Musashi style?

A Smoke Break
Feb 28, 2009

*snicker*

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Can you fight with a paddle Miyamoto Musashi style?

It'd be my goty that year if you could.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

A Smoke Break posted:

Weapon degradation forces ingenuity.

You know what also forces ingenuity? Good game design. A bow breaking after using it 10 times is not good game design. It's moronic. A steel sword breaking after killing a slime is not good game design. It's frustrating and immersion breaking. 7/10

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

inverted y-axis life. it's like tilting a camera irl

So, why are you only inverting the y-axis if it's like a camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

A Smoke Break posted:

Dunno how you ended up like that since my cycle was get weapon>kill baddy>weapon may or not break>take baddy's weapon. I was never in want of equipment. Sure you can be creative with your kills but the combat in general is such a chore and super unfun. I was using that one wind spell to just fly past enemies past a point.