Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Black August posted:

4 hour hellslog

what superbosses are you thinking of here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

cheetah7071 posted:

what superbosses are you thinking of here

Yizamat comes to immediate mind

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Relax Or DIE posted:

what's the best superboss

i'm tempted to say ozma but it can't be because you can still die to rng

so hades

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The FF13 postgame is awesome and the only JRPG postgame I've ever finished

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its the demifiend in SMT Digital Devil Saga

In Training posted:

The FF13 postgame is awesome and the only JRPG postgame I've ever finished

Does Vercingotrex ever stop casting impenetrable aura is there a way to stop that? I just reached him today adn the fight was "do damage, v-boy impenetrable auras back to full health while I get back to full health, repeat 4 times"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Relax Or DIE posted:

Black August posted:

One that challenges you on your mastery of every system provided by the game, who hits insanely hard but folds quickly if you're sufficiently skilled and fast instead of being a 4 hour hellslog

While I would say this is a good ideal to strive for, my favorite boss fights in games I played this year weren’t exactly challenging but punched me in the brain and heart

The ending boss of Hotline Miami 2 is so wild and insane that it’s maybe my favorite boss fight I played this year. Or maybe tied with Yakuza Kiwami, which made me fight while simultaneously wiping tears out of my eyes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

While I would say this is a good ideal to strive for, my favorite boss fights in games I played this year weren’t exactly challenging but punched me in the brain and heart

The ending boss of Hotline Miami 2 is so wild and insane that it’s maybe my favorite boss fight I played this year. Or maybe tied with Yakuza Kiwami, which made me fight while simultaneously wiping tears out of my eyes

they specified superbosses, which are usually more of a skill test than an experience

the only one who jumps to mind for me is Laurence from Bloodborne's DLC, for being maybe the only single-player enemy in years to actually make me Mad At Video Games, elevated heart rate and everything

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

Firestarter Mimiron or Alone in the Darkness Yogg-Saron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hWPFigaqk

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Another New Year's resolution.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Doom Goon posted:

In Monster Hunter GU you can play as a cat. They seem to be designed to be maximally adorable.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doom Goon posted:

What game is this

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

chumbler posted:

FF13 once again proves itself good due to the eidolon battles testing whether you understand the systems (many apparently did not, and hated them).

if you do understand the systems, they are merely boring and repetitive!

now it's time for YRP

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

now it's time for YRP

YRP is good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
FFX2 is my jam

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

please rikku put on a shirt this is not ok

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The opening of ffx-2 is fuckin lit

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

please rikku put on a shirt this is not ok

You can fix that in short order. Sadly the thief outfit looks terrible on all three.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
kirby has good superbosses

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Looper posted:

kirby has good superbosses

I can confirm, although Void Soul was honestly more fun than Void, to be honest

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Superboss update: I went and did everything else in the game and crafted some super items and now I am able to reach the threshold where she murders me much more quickly and safely, and successfully stay non-wiped in that phase long enough for her to heal to full!

I think the trick will be to save my supers and try to burst her down really fast as soon as she hits the HP threshold

now it's time for YRP

Did you finish FFX already?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Splatoon's Octavio is the best 3rd person shooter boss in recent memory.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

Superboss update: I went and did everything else in the game and crafted some super items and now I am able to reach the threshold where she murders me much more quickly and safely, and successfully stay non-wiped in that phase long enough for her to heal to full!

I think the trick will be to save my supers and try to burst her down really fast as soon as she hits the HP threshold

Did you finish FFX already?

Have you made an Ankh? they can boost stats which is helpful. high speed = more turns for you

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Have you made an Ankh? they can boost stats which is helpful. high speed = more turns for you

The boss sets up increasing number of indefinitely repeating attacks which strip buffs off of you. My buff game is kind of weak but they wouldn't do anything anyways

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hell yeah AGDQ schedule is up and i am keen to watch some games played swiftly

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

hell yeah AGDQ schedule is up and i am keen to watch some games played swiftly

ah poo poo that's tomorrow ahhhhhhhhh poo poo poo poo poo poo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TASBot plays Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow

:getin:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

What game is this
The Stories of Ihatavo, that new Super Famicom translation me and corn talked about a little. Despite that picture it's not overall a very light-hearted game (although it's pretty quaint).

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Black August posted:

ah poo poo that's tomorrow ahhhhhhhhh poo poo poo poo poo poo

get my work week started right with a majora's mask runnn

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Songbearer posted:

I played Gothic 3 after being blown away by Oblivion and jonesing for more hot RPG action. I took a dive on Morrowind GOTY edition years before, playing it with no knowledge of what it was, and after a bumpy start I found it to be an incredible gaming experience so I figured a series as established as Gothic would probably be pretty good

I probably got an hour into the game where I was stunlocked by a boar to death over and over again with no recourse or ability to change my grisly fate before writing it off entirely. That was not a fun experience

I played Gothic 1 and 2 on release and then when 3 released my computer was not good enough to play it. Over the years, I tried to play it at least five times and always shelving it for later. Last year, my computer was still not good enough for Gothic 3 but I decided to play it anyway. As someone who loved 1 and 2, that game is a piece of crap and even the Community Mod won't help it in a thousand years. It's a game that suffered from open world fatigue way before Assassin's Creed made it a widespread thing. There are some cool things but mostly you'll be grinding your way to finally be able to kill the big bad. I stopped after about 15 hours when it was becoming really obvious that end game is going to be even worse than ever before.

That said, I kind of enjoyed ELEX even though it's literally the same game again because Piranha Bytes doesn't know how to make anything else.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am enjoying Pokémon Let's Go.

I think I should have gone with the Pikachu one though, Eevee is a bit much

Edit: Also I am watching John Wick 2 and I can't stop thinking "John Wick is in grave danger", the internet has ruined this for me I think

I wouldn't even think twice before punching my credit card details if John Wick 3 needed it

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I would buy John Wick as many DLC dogs as he needs

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Can someone tell me when awful block actually starts at adgq? I know they have the schedule but if you go by that you're likely to come in way late because of how the schedule shifts

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Whoever recommended Dujanah to me after Hylics thanks! This is definitely my speed.

It's funny how I used to prefer games to last as long as possible but now I'd rather have it be short, concise and focused unless it's some game for goofing around.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Did I just overlook it or is there no Celeste this year? It was hype AF last year

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

best superboss is the ur-dragon from dragon's dogma, because it suddenly turns a single player game into multiplayer and it takes weeks to beat

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Favourite superboss is the demilich in Baldur’s Gate 2, he’s nigh unstoppable if you play it straight, but you can trivialize him super easily with scrolls of protection that make you immune to magic or the undead, scrolls which aren’t even well-hidden

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

god drat it where are the chocobos

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

What game is this

Stories from Ihatovo, which is a weird, loving homage to Kenji Miyazawa stories (Galactic Railroad, etc). It's basically a walking simulator where you wander around, talk to people, and hear stories about things

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

god drat it where are the chocobos
in a world without sin, everyone ate the chocobos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stories from Ihatovo, which is a weird, loving homage to Kenji Miyazawa stories (Galactic Railroad, etc). It's basically a walking simulator where you wander around, talk to people, and hear stories about things

Oh dang I was hoping for cattes the RPG