Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The Helix album by Tom Assemblage 23 and Mari Kattman was sorta boring. The remix album is a lot better IMO: https://helix.bandcamp.com/album/helix-remix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

teethgrinder posted:

I was scrolling through ID:YD's top 25 of the year, and the higher the rankings got, I was thinking, "wow harsh, Ashbury Heights didn't even make top 25".

Instead, it turns out they made it their number 1! I'm very surprised. The album has really grown on me in a huge way for what it's worth.
I just looked at the list and haven't listened to any of this! :sigh:

Well I suppose I should give it a go

mennoknight posted:

How is there any top anything list that isn't just Laibach 25 times
Seriously

That's album of the decade

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Going through the ID:YD list.

Well all of this owns so far. Ashbury Heights doesn't quite work for me though. It's too... affected? I dunno.

Twin Tribes: Love it. Bonus points for being from Texas and double bonus for being from the RGV.

Move over Blutengel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1EUT1h9gEQ

Oh and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVjkkjD1g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAM3NS3VMeg

I also like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--cgGK59gk4

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 22, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
That reminds me, Blutengel has gotten back to the vampire thing, with a song literally titled "Vampire." That theme seemed to fade into the shadows in the past few records:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBBIW9UVtzQ

But people want vampires. Though musically he has plateaued I think. Feels like he's been going through the motions for several records now.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

I like all of Ashbury Height's stuff up except Victorian Wallflowers - none of the songs really stand out to me or are all that interesting. I've only listened to them on YouTube as you can't check out the whole album on Bandcamp, and I don't want to buy it if it's, y'know, not good.

It's not like I'm an anti-pop purist, I liked the Looking Glass Society, and even though a song like "Piano" could practically be a Kerry Perry anthem, I still love it.

Just none of the new songs seem that... interesting. When I saw that was ID:YD's number 1, I was like, "hmmm... curious what they say on the podcast tomorrow." And the song they played from it was loving "Firebird" which I just find... musically blah and lyrically awkward. And they praised their lyrics!

I just don't get it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Lyrically awkward is the best description I've heard of it. But at the same time I'm a huge New Order fan, so I can't complain.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

teethgrinder posted:

Lyrically awkward is the best description I've heard of it. But at the same time I'm a huge New Order fan, so I can't complain.

Yeah, trust me, it's not like lyrics are a dealbreaker for me, sometimes that part of my brain just shuts off and I just don't perceive them.

And, yes, Ashbury Heights does have some great lyrics on Take Cair Paramour (Beautiful Scum is probably one of my favorites ever), but praising their lyricism and then playing Firebird is just... doesn't work for me.

Also, I'm shocked Actors wasn't their number 1. I think they're cool, but I'm not ga-ga over them, and those guys were all about them all year long.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My favorite Ashbury Heights remains Three Cheers for the Newlydeads- I feel like since then their stuff's lacked a certain, I dunno, impact? Enthusiasm? I don't know enough about music to articulate why I like some things and not others.

Also speaking of Blutengel I really liked "Surrender to the Darkness" and in a mood to share with people I found the song on YouTube, since that's generally the easiest and most accessible way to share music with people. Oh neat, there's a video! Aaaaaannnnnnnd 90% of it is a model wearing not very much and sort of writhing around. Great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

That reminds me, Blutengel has gotten back to the vampire thing, with a song literally titled "Vampire." That theme seemed to fade into the shadows in the past few records:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBBIW9UVtzQ

But people want vampires. Though musically he has plateaued I think. Feels like he's been going through the motions for several records now.

Not as funny as the video for Black but the lyrics were funnier.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

mennoknight posted:

How is there any top anything list that isn't just Laibach 25 times

In the case of ID:YD they usually skip things like Laibach because they try to focus on acts that wouldn't get much press coverage in other outlets / outside the 'scene', as far as I know.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Speaking of ID:YD do they still have that Slack going, or is there a Discord or something now?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That Slack is still going! You can mail them (with the subject Telekon) to get an invite.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Entropist posted:

In the case of ID:YD they usually skip things like Laibach because they try to focus on acts that wouldn't get much press coverage in other outlets / outside the 'scene', as far as I know.

They just did a whole podcast episode on the new Laibach "Sound of Music" thing. Definitely an album that's more interesting to discuss than listen to! I've heard all of the Goatherder song, and a chunk of "Favorite Things,' and... yeah, I'm good, thanks!

The documentary coming out about it and their performance in North Korea might be worth checking out, though.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Oh, I saw a documentary about it some months ago. Not sure if it's the same one but that was quite interesting, though unfortunately they showed almost nothing of the actual performance(s).
And yes, I would recommend the podcast, it's good. They also mentioned there again that they don't write about Laibach and other large groups because other sites do it well, but they do cover them on the podcast.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

LabyaMynora posted:

They just did a whole podcast episode on the new Laibach "Sound of Music" thing. Definitely an album that's more interesting to discuss than listen to! I've heard all of the Goatherder song, and a chunk of "Favorite Things,' and... yeah, I'm good, thanks!

The documentary coming out about it and their performance in North Korea might be worth checking out, though.

Lol, my thoughts exactly.

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.
What's the beef between VNV Nation and And One? I remember hearing about it but can't recall.

I saw them back in 2006 when And One opened for VNV. And One left the tour a few shows after, supposedly after some arguments with Ronin. Even when Steve mentions Ronin, it's always off-handed (he recently used Shrek as an image for Ronin, which was pretty funny).

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Saw Agent Side Grinder yesterday, it was a small venue at a local bar but they put on a really good show, sadly they had no saxophone on stage.

The supporting act Nevrosa also put on a great show

https://nevrosa.bandcamp.com/track/worthless

Kamrat fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 6, 2019

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Godmachine posted:

What's the beef between VNV Nation and And One? I remember hearing about it but can't recall.

I saw them back in 2006 when And One opened for VNV. And One left the tour a few shows after, supposedly after some arguments with Ronin. Even when Steve mentions Ronin, it's always off-handed (he recently used Shrek as an image for Ronin, which was pretty funny).

I didn't know there was beef, but I saw that show in Milwaukee. 2006... 12 years ago. gently caress man, I'm old.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Kamrat posted:

Saw Agent Side Grinder yesterday, it was a small venue at a local bar but they put on a really good show, sadly they had no saxophone on stage.

The supporting act Nevrosa also put on a great show

https://nevrosa.bandcamp.com/track/worthless

Oh my god, I love that books are the backdrop to the stage!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I guess anyone who would be interested is probably already aware, but Ant-Zen/Hymen are ceasing production/sale of physical media (though will continue to release digitally via Bandcamp). They're having a closing out sale on their mailorder site with a whole lot of stuff reduced down to 4 Euros.

https://www.facebook.com/antzen.official/photos/a.10150199225577614/10155074519667614/?type=3&theater

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
The label AnalogueTrash is giving away a new sampler album. It has some deviations from traditional scene music but it's a pretty eclectic batch of tracks.
https://bandcamp.analoguetrash.com/album/analoguetrash-label-sampler-vol-4

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Konstruct posted:

The label AnalogueTrash is giving away a new sampler album. It has some deviations from traditional scene music but it's a pretty eclectic batch of tracks.
https://bandcamp.analoguetrash.com/album/analoguetrash-label-sampler-vol-4

I forget how, but I hit their bandcamp today. it's pretty awesome and everyone should do this!

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Someone on my facebook feed linked this very interesting Icelandic band Hatari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS4YLbgVucg
The video has English subtitles for those of you who want to know what they're singing about

Apparently they've already broken up because they failed to dismantle Capitalism? I suppose this could be a joke, the statement is quite funny to read or it could be mistranslated.
https://grapevine.is/culture/music/...JvhJSqAHFSh2a1A

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I have a review copy of the new Front Line Assembly album!! out next month

it's 2019 and it sounds like easy listening these days. the Robert Gorl guest vocal track is good. uh, track 11 is pleasant on repeat listens. nothing else caught my attention.

i suppose i should turn it up and imagine it playing in a lovely goth club

the loved one didn't know Delerium was basically FLA going disco. but it explained a lot about this to her.

so, on from the tedious easy-listening new Front Line Assembly album to the tedious easy-listening new VNV Nation album! It's nice, it's Ronan doing what he does. I can't remember a tune after the song finishes. But every note is precisely what I expected. I'll give it more listens, but I don't expect my opinion to change.

GODDAMMIT RONAN JUST GIVE US A GOOD SINGLE, SURELY YOU REMEMBER HOW TO WRITE GOOD SINGLES

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

divabot posted:

I have a review copy of the new Front Line Assembly album!! out next month

it's 2019 and it sounds like easy listening these days. the Robert Gorl guest vocal track is good. uh, track 11 is pleasant on repeat listens. nothing else caught my attention.

Did you like Echogenetic? Just trying to get a gauge on your tastes to adjust my expectations.

OTOH, FLA is a band that tends to release an absolute stinker every couple of albums, so they are due...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Tactical Neural Implant is a great album. It's so good that it makes every prior effort by them obsolete.

Millennium is a good album. The sound was nothing revolutionary, but it broke new ground for the band.

IMO no album since then has lived up to either incarnations of the band.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 15, 2019

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
The following is a list of FLA albums that are good in order

TNI
Millennium
Hard Wired
Caustic Grip

the rest ranges from dogshit to garbage

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Here we go - let's rank FLA albums:

Tactical Neural Implant - groundbreaking, by far the most important album, and what they'll be remembered for
Epitaph - everyone else hates this one, I like it. Maybe because it was the one that was new at the time I got into FLA
Echogenetic - Sounds like Epitaph with more current (at the time) sounds
Hard Wired - works back-to-back with TNI
Implode - Good lead up to Epitaph
Airmech - Good lead up to Echogenetic
Artificial Solider - Solid FLA album with great guest vocals by Jean-Luc De Meyer and Eskil Simonsson
Civilization - weird, ambitious attempt at getting away from the FLA sound. Not bad, but I'm rarely in the mood for it

===line of meh

Warmech - it's like the unused/rejected sessions of Airmech. Every time I listen to this, I just end up turning it off and listening to Airmech
Caustic Grip - interesting, listened to it once on YouTube, didn't feel compelled to buy it

===line of bad

Millenium - sorry, I just don't like the Pantera guitar samples
FLAvour of the Weak - I've listened to this twice and can't remember anything from it
Improvised Electronic Device - I bought this when it came out without listening to it and I do not like it

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LabyaMynora posted:

Tactical Neural Implant - groundbreaking, by far the most important album, and what they'll be remembered for
Epitaph - everyone else hates this one, I like it. Maybe because it was the one that was new at the time I got into FLA
Echogenetic - Sounds like Epitaph with more current (at the time) sounds
Hard Wired - works back-to-back with TNI
Implode - Good lead up to Epitaph
Airmech - Good lead up to Echogenetic
Artificial Solider - Solid FLA album with great guest vocals by Jean-Luc De Meyer and Eskil Simonsson
Civilization - weird, ambitious attempt at getting away from the FLA sound. Not bad, but I'm rarely in the mood for it

===line of meh

Warmech - it's like the unused/rejected sessions of Airmech. Every time I listen to this, I just end up turning it off and listening to Airmech
Caustic Grip - interesting, listened to it once on YouTube, didn't feel compelled to buy it

===line of bad

Millenium - sorry, I just don't like the Pantera guitar samples
FLAvour of the Weak - I've listened to this twice and can't remember anything from it
Improvised Electronic Device - I bought this when it came out without listening to it and I do not like it
By far the biggest problem with Millenium is the blatant sampling. The extent to which this bothers you probably depends on how many early 90s metal CDs you own (Sepultura’s Arise is another one they heavily sample from). This Faith is the best and guess what, no guitars there.

FLAvour has some good songs - basically all the ones with no/minimal vocals. Corruption, Evil Playground, and Predator are all good. The rest are... not good, but it does have one of the highlight wtf FLA lyrics (“greased with lotion”).

Echogenetic I would put one tier down. I thought it was disappointing compared to AirMech.

AS and IED are indistinguishably boring to me. They still manage some bangers on there (is Release the song without the try-hard guitars?) but they’re few and far between.

Other than that I agree with your list...

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

david_a posted:

The extent to which this bothers you probably depends on how many early 90s metal CDs you own (Sepultura’s Arise is another one they heavily sample from).

This is a great point, I was really into heavy metal from 5th to 9th grade, so I owned Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power," and "Far Beyond Driven," and while I didn't own any Sepultura, I was aware of them and their music around that mid-90's time period.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

LabyaMynora posted:

This is a great point, I was really into heavy metal from 5th to 9th grade, so I owned Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power," and "Far Beyond Driven," and while I didn't own any Sepultura, I was aware of them and their music around that mid-90's time period.
The next album “duo” (FLAvour and Implode) has a similar thing but with Aphex Twin, Chemical Bros, etc instead. Although Chris Peterson (especially by Implode) worked hard to disguise the samples better so it’s not as blatant.

david_a fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 15, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Sampling is cool and good, and kind of integral to FLA.

Final Impact on Tactical Neural Implant samples Without Belief by Nitzer Ebb throughout almost the entire song, in a similar way to how the guitar samples are used on Millennium.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 15, 2019

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Millennium rules so hard. The b-sides are incredible. Murder's coherent, volatile spleen. I will die on this hill.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LabyaMynora posted:

LET'S GO

Caustic Grip - Best and only FLA album I ever want to listen to because it is SO GOOD and SO PERFECT

Tactical Neural Implant - If Caustic Grip didn't exist and I had to listen to another FLA album instead, I'd listen to this one but there'd be a gap in my life

Gashed Senses & Crossfire - Album I sometimes think is good then remember actually it's only No Limit and Digital Tension Dementia that I like

All other FLA albums - whatever.

(my first FLA album was actually FLAvour of the Weak and I was all "wtf I thought these guys were classic industrial" but then I got the Reclamation greatest hits type compilation and realised they had changed style somewhat over the years)

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Biomute posted:

Final Impact on Tactical Neural Implant samples Without Belief by Nitzer Ebb throughout almost the entire song, in a similar way to how the guitar samples are used on Millennium.
Sampling is pretty inherent to nearly all of 80s/90s industrial so I'm not knocking it.

BTW, if anybody wants more of the FLAvour/Implode style, there are two one-off side projects I recommend looking into:

Pro>Tech - Orbiting Cathedrals: This feels like a dress rehearsal for FLAvour of the Weak, except there's no vocal tracks (ie the worst parts of FLAvour). The first two tracks are amazing and are cut from the same cloth as Evil Playground.

Equinox - Holon: Sort of in-between the FLAvour and Implode sounds. Also instrumental.

I wouldn't be shocked if some of these tracks are actually outtakes (reworked or not) from the FLA releases. FLA is notoriously for dumping unused tracks as side projects. One of the Noise Unit albums (I forget which) is a scrapped FLA album. Even the side projects have side projects (Delerium, Synæsthesia, Intermix, etc).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Let's rank some loving FLA.

1. Tactical Neural Implant: Fantastic album, is the sound I most associate with early 90s electro-industrial. Some great remixes too.

2. Hard Wired: Some days I like it more than Millennium because it's a bit more refined, some days I like it less. Today I like it more. Also has some fantastic remixes, especially Neologic Spasm and Barcode on Remix Wars.

3. Millennium. Millennium is one of their best songs, no one will agree but Victim of a Criminal also is. I loving love samples and love the blatant guitar samples. Less exciting remixes on this one.

4. Caustic Grip: A few weaker songs, but the Provision and Iceolate are some of their best work, especially the extended mix of Provision.

5. Implode: I can't stand FLAvor but this has some really strong songs like Retribution.

6. Gashed Senses: The best songs here are better with their single mixes but they are still strong songs. Big Money is up there with The Bonening in terms of FLA material that makes me laugh.

7. I assume Artificial Soldier would be here but for some reason I only own Fallout which I mostly like.

8. Civilization: I kind of like it.

9. Epitaph: Ditto. It's fine.

Everything else...

Last: Echogenetic. This was very bad and even Daniel Myer couldn't save Blood from being atrocious. It was also very funny to see live because the crowd had been super into all the old stuff and died for Blood.

Reclamation is one of my favorite Greatest Hits albums.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

david_a posted:

The next album “duo” (FLAvour and Implode) has a similar thing but with Aphex Twin, Chemical Bros, etc instead. Although Chris Peterson (especially by Implode) worked hard to disguise the samples better so it’s not as blatant.

Biomute posted:

See, I'm just ignorant. Listening to Without Belief now, and I'm just like... "Oh, of course..."

I mean, I know Aphex Twin, but mostly from Come to Daddy on forward. It took me 20 years to find out that Come to Daddy is a parody of the stuff I like. :argh:

W424
Oct 21, 2010

mennoknight posted:

The following is a list of FLA albums that are good in order

Hard Wired
TNI
Caustic Grip

the rest ranges from dogshit (Millennium) to garbage

Fixed some errors, list now revised and final.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MassRafTer posted:

no one will agree but Victim of a Criminal also is.

It seems like a lot of people think it's their worst song ("we hate all music, and especially rap"), but for me it's among the top five FLA tracks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Is S. Alexander Reed a goon? Why is he randomly posting his ranking of FLA albums on twitter 5 hours ago? :tinfoil:

https://twitter.com/industrial_book/status/1085423759471927297