Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Big McHuge posted:

Is there anything that clears as mindlessly and quickly as a SWK monk? So far I've tried a firebats WD and a meteor wizard, but neither have remotely come close to what the monk can do.

Along these lines, what's going to be the fastest mindless clear of the free sets in S16?

quote:

Barbarian – Immortal King’s Call
Crusader – Seeker of the Light
Demon Hunter – Natalya’s Vengeance
Monk – Uliana’s Stratagem
Witch Doctor – Spirit of Arachyr
Wizard – Vyr’s Amazing Arcana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Uliana's is probably the most mindless but IK is the fastest to get going. Would stay away from Seeker and Vyr's since they both need lots of supporting items and you do have to kind of pay attention.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I'd disagree about Uli, but yeah IK is super easy to get up and running and there are like 4-5 builds just off the top of my head that use IK4 or IK6 so you'll have plenty of options when you are ready to branch out.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
How click spammy is Uliana's? I never played a monk but figured I might try to spam bells because it looks fun and seems to have decent mobility.

Kinda torn between Monk/Barb/Crusader, not sure who gets most out of the free RoRG. The only setup I really checked was Akhan Condemn sader, where I'd probably replace the necklace with a Hellfire one.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

How click spammy is Uliana's?

Not at all, your main dmg is while you sit there watching your character perform seven sided strike.

It gets finicky at high GRs when you start worrying about snapshotting mythic rhythm and area damage, but most of the time its just apply EP > boom

Vakal
May 11, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Uliana's is probably the most mindless but IK is the fastest to get going. Would stay away from Seeker and Vyr's since they both need lots of supporting items and you do have to kind of pay attention.

Uliana's also gets a point for having one of the best 2-piece set bonuses in the game, which when you are starting fresh and not power leveling in a large group is very helpful.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

The Darkening of Tristram event is live. Looks like there's nothing new this year (yet again).

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kheldarn posted:

The Darkening of Tristram event is live. Looks like there's nothing new this year (yet again).

Even the bugs are old! (wirts leg doesn’t salvage into the map and needs to be hotfixed, just like last year)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dameius posted:

I'd disagree about Uli, but yeah IK is super easy to get up and running and there are like 4-5 builds just off the top of my head that use IK4 or IK6 so you'll have plenty of options when you are ready to branch out.

Vakal posted:

Uliana's also gets a point for having one of the best 2-piece set bonuses in the game, which when you are starting fresh and not power leveling in a large group is very helpful.

Some 2pc and 4pc bonuses are getting buffs with next season / patch; this sentiment may shift.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
When is the new season? Next Friday?

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

bamhand posted:

When is the new season? Next Friday?

Season 16 begins Friday, January 18 at 5:00 p.m. PST in North America, 5:00 p.m. CEST in Europe, and 5:00 p.m. KST in Asia.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

The 'Wirt's leg is not legendary, it's only blue, and I can't get the Map of the Stars on salvage' bug is back. It'll probably get hotfixed by or on Tuesday I estimate. I went onto the Blizzard forums to verify the issue... and for a reminder of the insane, self-centered, no-life hell that is the online video game community. So many Veruca Salt quality whines. I mean sure, this is the same bug as prior year, so that's hilarious... but it's still a loving video game, and it's a bug in a content update event that's being distributed for free.

At any rate, for laughs, I looked at my meager 8-post history on their forums. They're almost all either reporting bugs, or confirming bugs other people have reported. Except for this one post where I had responded to Wyatt Cheng almost 3 years ago, where he was telling everyone not to expect double bounty weekends ever because it either might break the game, or make the part of the playerbase that has to work on weekends to get all butthurt they maybe can't fully exploit it. So, lol, not likely ever guys!
Yeah this is the guy heading up the mobile game. Quite the visionary.

mewse
May 2, 2006

5er posted:

The 'Wirt's leg is not legendary, it's only blue, and I can't get the Map of the Stars on salvage' bug is back. It'll probably get hotfixed by or on Tuesday I estimate. I went onto the Blizzard forums to verify the issue... and for a reminder of the insane, self-centered, no-life hell that is the online video game community. So many Veruca Salt quality whines. I mean sure, this is the same bug as prior year, so that's hilarious... but it's still a loving video game, and it's a bug in a content update event that's being distributed for free.

At any rate, for laughs, I looked at my meager 8-post history on their forums. They're almost all either reporting bugs, or confirming bugs other people have reported. Except for this one post where I had responded to Wyatt Cheng almost 3 years ago, where he was telling everyone not to expect double bounty weekends ever because it either might break the game, or make the part of the playerbase that has to work on weekends to get all butthurt they maybe can't fully exploit it. So, lol, not likely ever guys!
Yeah this is the guy heading up the mobile game. Quite the visionary.

I posted a suggestion that GR invites should make a loud bonging noise so people who are alt-tabbed will hear something happening. I got downvoted to oblivion and told to go back to WoW or something

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Playing through the darkening event on the switch, I can see why dungeons today are 3-4 levels at max with waypoints everywhere.

Its kinda infuriating going through the place multiple times when you are trying to get all the unique monster kills.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pharohman777 posted:

Playing through the darkening event on the switch, I can see why dungeons today are 3-4 levels at max with waypoints everywhere.

Its kinda infuriating going through the place multiple times when you are trying to get all the unique monster kills.

I had a lot easier time with it on switch than I did on PC (years ago), partly because I still had my boss rush build set up so every floor was sub-30 seconds and partly because I didn’t get RNG-hosed into having the last one I needed to spawn be on floor 14 for 10 consecutive runs

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
How did you find boss rush on the switch? I found it significantly harder than any previous season (my 5th run to the usual 1, maybe 2) and I'm not sure if it's because I was just undergeared from starting a couple of weeks ago, or the long load times on the switch were adding minutes to the clock.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I oneshotted it accidentally when I went to go try Adria to see how bad it would be, got to her super fast, and said "gently caress it guess I'm doing it live"

I don't know how far under the timer I was at the end

This was with a TR speedfarming variant with Krelm's Belt and an Aether Walker

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

hampig posted:

How did you find boss rush on the switch? I found it significantly harder than any previous season (my 5th run to the usual 1, maybe 2) and I'm not sure if it's because I was just undergeared from starting a couple of weeks ago, or the long load times on the switch were adding minutes to the clock.

It took me about 9 attempts and I usually do it in 1 or 2. But I’ve only ever done it with an impale DH, and this time I was using a WW barb so I’m not sure the load times were the problem.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Is there a guide to doing boss rush solo? My only big thing I'm missing is a third conquest, and boss rush looks to be it.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I think most guides have you go to all the variable spawns first, in order of difficulty to find, but I generally do it by act: 5, 3, 4, 1 then 2. I prefer that way because I don’t have to remember a list of bosses and which act they’re in.

I’m sure you can find some guides on google, but really I think it’s more just understanding that you need to abandon a run if a boss is taking too long to find.

The best way to do it is probably just to find one or two other people and split run.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So against my better judgement, I just bought Diablo 3 Battle Chest, despite the fact that I didn't finish Diablo 2 (in fact, I got burned out on D2 once I hit the Chapter 2 desert area).

I wanted to ask about the Darkening of Tristram event, and if I can jump into that right away, or if I have to reach a certain point in the game before it's accessible.

I also noticed that after I bought the game, there was an option to 'upgrade' Reaper of Souls to the Digital Deluxe Edition for $20. What's the deal with that?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Darkening will be available to a level one character, and there is an achievement for doing the whole shebang from level one and only gaining xp in the event.

Digital deluxe gets you a bunch of cosmetic poo poo, you don't have to do it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dameius posted:

Darkening will be available to a level one character, and there is an achievement for doing the whole shebang from level one and only gaining xp in the event.

Digital deluxe gets you a bunch of cosmetic poo poo, you don't have to do it.

That's cool. I was worried I might miss it.

Do I have to make a seasonal character or something for the Tristram event? I just booted up the game, buy I probably won't play it until a little bit later, since I'm watching AGDQ right now. I don't know how the whole character/event/season thing works in Diablo 3.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does your BattleChest come with the Reaper of Souls expansion? I’d assume so, but if not you’ll want that. Otherwise you only have half of the game. There’s also the necromancer class pack. It is/was $15 unless the BattleChest has that also. It’s a neat class.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Does your BattleChest come with the Reaper of Souls expansion? I’d assume so, but if not you’ll want that. Otherwise you only have half of the game. There’s also the necromancer class pack. It is/was $15 unless the BattleChest has that also. It’s a neat class.

I believe so (Battle Chest comes with both D3 base game, and Reaper of Souls; either that, or Blizzard just ripped me off). When I booted the game up, it played the Reaper of Souls intro movie.

I believe it does not come with the Necromancer class; that has to be bought separately. It's okay, though, because I'd like to play the game a bit before dropping more money on it, and I've heard Necromancer can be a difficult class to play (or at least it was in Diablo 2). I remember someone said in another thread that they didn't think the Necromancer was that amazing.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Create season char > adventure mode > darkening of tristram event

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It is fun, but given what you said about you and D2, I'd hold off on getting the Necro until you've put some play time in the game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dameius posted:

It is fun, but given what you said about you and D2, I'd hold off on getting the Necro until you've put some play time in the game.

For some context, prior to starting Diablo 2, I played through Diablo 1 with the Belzebub HD mod, and I had some fun with that. However, part of that I attribute to the QoL improvements made by that mod (gold can stack, TAB key will highlight items, you have a storage chest that can hold tons of items).

Diablo 2 was improved in that your movement wasn't locked down to a grid, and it seemed like it was faster, but inventory management was a chore (you have so little inventory space, both on your person, and in your storage chest), and it fell into that obnoxious cycle of running out of room and returning to the hub so Deckard Cain will ID your stuff. Combat also seemed off to me, as if it lacked impact or something (not really sure). For reference, I played through D1 as a Warrior, and for D2, I took the Sorceress, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

D3 fixes a lot of complaints you have but building characters is kind of easy and no risk aside from gear.
I like it for those reasons but I also got the whole thing with xpac for 23.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Does Tristram give anything different if you're seasonal? If I already have the pet is there any point in doing it?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Does Tristram give anything different if you're seasonal? If I already have the pet is there any point in doing it?

I want to ask about this too, because I just started up the game and was playing it when I got a message that the Season was ending in 30 minutes. Once that elapsed, the game kicked my to start screen, and I couldn't rejoin. Did I screw something up?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
No difference seasonal or not. No difference from previous years. If you have everything, it'll be for funsies this year or you can just skip it.

Hearing the sfx is pretty nostalgic inducing though.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dameius posted:

No difference seasonal or not. No difference from previous years. If you have everything, it'll be for funsies this year or you can just skip it.

Hearing the sfx is pretty nostalgic inducing though.

Can I still do the achievement where I start from Level 1 and run through all 16 floors? I don't think I can get there without fighting my way through.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Just run past poo poo. Start in adventure mode and take the way point and run. Once you are under the gfx filter you are good to kill stuff.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dameius posted:

Just run past poo poo. Start in adventure mode and take the way point and run. Once you are under the gfx filter you are good to kill stuff.

Unfortunately, it looks like I can't access Adventure mode until I beat the campaign mode at least once.

Guess I'm going to have to start running through the campaign.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Oh yeah, on a brand new account you will have to beat the campaign at least one time. The story is.... Not great. Just beat it once and never return again.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dameius posted:

Oh yeah, on a brand new account you will have to beat the campaign at least one time. The story is.... Not great. Just beat it once and never return again.

Don't worry, I'm already skipping most of the dialog. Plus, with the items I nabbed before the season ended, I got something of a running start in terms of dealing with enemies.

That's one thing I have to say about the game, that right out of the gate, attacking enemies (as the Crusader) feels like it has some impact, or punch (I'm sure if I was playing the console version, there'd be some controller vibration, which make me wonder if I can set one up on PC). Inventory space seems pretty spacious so far.

There are a couple of things that I don't quite get. One is that potions have been redone, so that you just hit Q and use one, and it seems to be infinite, but it has a cooldown. The other is with your abilities: I have a few different kinds of attacks, but it seem like I can't toggle between them on the fly; I have to go into the menu and change them. Is there a hotkey for it, or is it just something you have to decide on before entering an area full of enemies.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
You can't use a controller on PC, which is a pity since the game is so much more fun with a controller.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Don't worry, I'm already skipping most of the dialog. Plus, with the items I nabbed before the season ended, I got something of a running start in terms of dealing with enemies.

That's one thing I have to say about the game, that right out of the gate, attacking enemies (as the Crusader) feels like it has some impact, or punch (I'm sure if I was playing the console version, there'd be some controller vibration, which make me wonder if I can set one up on PC). Inventory space seems pretty spacious so far.

There are a couple of things that I don't quite get. One is that potions have been redone, so that you just hit Q and use one, and it seems to be infinite, but it has a cooldown. The other is with your abilities: I have a few different kinds of attacks, but it seem like I can't toggle between them on the fly; I have to go into the menu and change them. Is there a hotkey for it, or is it just something you have to decide on before entering an area full of enemies.

Potions: You are correct. It is now infinite with a cooldown. There are other potions that can drop. They offer some other bonus in addition to healing, but you can only use one of them at a time.

Skills: Again, you are correct. You have to chose your 6 skills and set them while not in combat. Also, any skill on cooldown can't be changed. Other than that, you're free to change skills, runes, and passives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
You can go into the settings and enable elective mode (name might be different, going from memory), that lets you basically map any skill to any spot which you should absolutely do.