Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I want to see Trump try and declare a national emergency

lets go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

gently caress Duke.

Indeed. However Zion is a national treasure and transcends all Duke hatred imho

Shame he is going to end up in Cleveland.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I want to see Trump try and declare a national emergency

lets go

operation Jade Helm but real this time

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

someone crammed an alexa into a shitter and called it a smart toilet at CES

Can it track the weight, volume, and color of my poops?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

deedee megadoodoo posted:

Just have a pencil and piece of paper nearby like a normal person Ms MEGADOODOO

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

someone crammed an alexa into a shitter and called it a smart toilet at CES
A regular toilet or one of those Japanese toilets with the timed heated seat and music to mask the noise and bidet wand?

I can put an Echo dot on the tank lid next to the scented candle and call it a smart toilet.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

deedee megadoodoo posted:

They're all classified as megadoodoos

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83KLxQ1jjdg

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is fun.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

yeah right now it's like what, a 30' high wall? with wind exposure category c or d (it will experience a metric fuckload of wind exposure one way or the other) and the steel would have to be set at 12" centers to keep people from shimmying through meaning it's basically catching almost all of the wind blowing against it....those vertical steel posts are going to need to be like W8 or so sized steel with some relatively boss sized wind bracing behind each and every one

the galvanization on the steel would need to be loving insanely thick to have a reasonable time till first maintenance unless they plan on having border patrol kitted out with cherry pickers to have them galv spray everything as they go down the line. i don't even know where to begin to see how much zinc is mined each year and how much galvanization material is produced yearly but i'm assuming it's a massive chunk of what america produces

not to mention the concrete footers or caissons necessary to support the wall, guess they're not going to ready mix that poo poo lol. i work in an area where concrete is easily brought to a site and weather conditions aren't much of an issue, i have no idea how the gently caress you would try to set concrete in a place that has such temperature extremes

the engineer in me is like "yes a giant mega project like this would be fun to see how it plays out" because it would be one of the largest engineering and construction undertakings in human history, it will require several times more concrete than the hoover dam, somewhere around 5-10 billion pounds of steel in just rebar for the concrete alone which would represent roughly 1/3rd of all american yearly steel output, and i don't know how much of that can be formed as rebar

i don't do much concrete reinforcement design in my job so i'm going to be lazy and just assume they'll use trumpcrete that is magic and needs no steel and can perfectly hold this giant dumb loving wall up from toppling forces. just to make the wall "tamper" proof it needs a continuous 5' deep concrete footer, and ideally 3' wide to prevent it from being easily punched through, and, no matter what steel it is, you need a pretty big loving footer to land all that steel in

so you get 2000mi*5*3 and you get roughly 160 cubic million feet of concrete, at roughly 150lbs per cuft for some relatively respectable strength concrete, which is about 10% of total concrete output in america (which, just the way concrete is, tends to be localized because concrete doesn't travel very well). so we need to build an insanely large supply chain for all the aggregate etc just for that alone

that $5bn number $2.5m a mile, and just using some kludge numbers for that concrete you end up using half of that money just in concrete alone lol not even including the labor to transport and put the concrete in place, all the steel necessary, and the steel wall itself

not to mention even if all regulatory concerns are somehow bypassed, it's still a legal nightmare for land acquisition because i'm pretty sure i read somewhere that 75% of the proposed route is on private land?

and that you'd need to find tens of thousands of workers who would be willing to go live out in an inhospitable area in temporary housing, along with building all the necessary logistical stuff like sanitary sewer, hospitals, potable water, food, blah blah blah

like the wall is just so loving insanely stupid from a feasibility standpoint and it hurts to even think about. it's like "yeah let's just re-direct the entirety of the american economy to build a wall that does nothing". it's loving painful to see people talk about it like it will actually happen instead of a giant grift by bechtel where $5bn is absconded with for nothing in return. $5bn barely loving covers the "cheap" part that can be done from a desktop like acquisition or design. the whole thing will run into the trillions loving easily

also not to mention people will just roll out to the wall with a torch and make off with some free steel

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Kalli posted:

Is the board going to light up with telestrator circles and penises to tell you which ramp / bumper to hit next?

in a dream world, instead of tickets the game would dispense free turducken for every high score

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Those drop targets on the left side are going to spell "BOOM" and when you get all four, some crazy poo poo is gonna happen.

Brett Favre happens.

Or Pat Summerall pops up to tell you about 60 Minutes and Murder... She Wrote.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

in a dream world, instead of tickets the game would dispense free turducken for every high score

It definitely needs a Turducken Multiball with animations of balls popping out of that carcass.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

FizFashizzle posted:

This is fun.

I know that you know this, but no one who earnestly wants the wall knows this, much less cares about this.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

FizFashizzle posted:

This is fun.

"that $5bn number $2.5m a mile, and just using some kludge numbers for that concrete you end up using half of that money just in concrete alone lol not even including the labor to transport and put the concrete in place, all the steel necessary, and the steel wall itself"

For perspective, $2.5 million a mile is about the cost of building a 2 lane undivided road in a rural area. So the entire $5 billion would be spent on the road to access the wall. And that's just for regular access, there's canyons and cliffs and mountains and just general rough terrain that are areas where it's lovely and expensive to build.

$5 billion for the wall is a laughable amount just on the face of supplies, never mind labor and logistics and government billing feature creep. Why build one when you can build one at the price of four plus cost?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

FizFashizzle posted:

This is fun.

CannonFodder posted:

For perspective, $2.5 million a mile is about the cost of building a 2 lane undivided road in a rural area. So the entire $5 billion would be spent on the road to access the wall. And that's just for regular access, there's canyons and cliffs and mountains and just general rough terrain that are areas where it's lovely and expensive to build.

$5 billion for the wall is a laughable amount just on the face of supplies, never mind labor and logistics and government billing feature creep. Why build one when you can build one at the price of four plus cost?

I hate engineers and architects because they consistently want you to build things the dumbest way possible since they generally have little to no field experience with actual building. Take for example the post you quoted, that's a couple hundred words to say that $5bil is a drop of piss in an ocean of expense for a wall that has no practical means of succeeding even it's built.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

weird Asian candy posted:

Indeed. However Zion is a national treasure and transcends all Duke hatred imho

Shame he is going to end up in Cleveland.

You clearly do not hate Duke enough.

Flight 932 was carrying the wrong team.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Saw Mary Poppins today; Emily Blunt really made me have some weird feelings

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Yeah, but her wearing deeply colorful stockings and petticoats and hats fit for a royal wedding

Wanna see you in nothin' but them stockings, Ms. Poppins

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

That proper accent too.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I prefer women with boobies

Update goon spreadsheet accordingly

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
My mom's boyfriend's son died in a motorcycle accident because he wasn't wearing a helmet. I didn't really know the guy (saw him once in 4 years) so I'm not affected a whole lot but god drat that sucks. Also, naturally the accident was posted to facebook and people are arguing that if MC drivers dont have to wear helmets they shouldnt have to wear seatbelts..

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

All women have boobies

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I hate engineers and architects because they consistently want you to build things the dumbest way possible since they generally have little to no field experience with actual building. Take for example the post you quoted, that's a couple hundred words to say that $5bil is a drop of piss in an ocean of expense for a wall that has no practical means of succeeding even it's built.
TRUCKER STORY TIME

http://www.nflroads.com/_layouts/FDOT%20D2%20Northeast%20Florida%20Road%20Construction/ProjectDetails.aspx?pid=402&sid=All

quote:

Work began in August 2016 on a 7.3-mile long, four-lane truck route designed to relieve some of the congestion on U.S. 301 in Starke.

The approximately $90 million project will be constructed between County Road 227 and County Road 233 on the west side of Starke. The new roadway will consist of two travel lanes in each direction, and overpasses will be constructed over County Road 100A, the CSX Railroad, and County Road 229. Interchanges will be constructed along the new roadway to provide access to State Road 100 and State Road 16.

The new roadway will provide an alternate route for freight-carrying trucks, and will help alleviate some of the traffic congestion on U.S. 301 through downtown Starke.

In addition to relieving congestion on the busy U.S. 301 corridor, it is expected to provide additional capacity for future traffic growth. The new route is projected to carry more than 25,000 vehicles per day by 2020, and increase to more than 31,000 per day by 2040.

Construction on the new truck route should not affect travel in and around Starke.

Or normal weeks my dad drives the Big Truck through Starke twice a week while I either ride shotgun or try to sleep in the bunk. US 301 has heavy traffic both from truck traffic taking the direct route from Jacksonville to Ocala / Tampa, and from local traffic just doing their thing. For the past 3 years Florida has spent $90 million to build a 7.3 mile highway at the cost of ~$12.3 million per mile.

Now, compared to TrumpWall, there are some factors that make this more expensive than $2.5M per mile. It's 4 lanes instead of 2 lanes, so it's basically two 2 lane highways alongside each other. It's going to be overbuilt for heavy trucks, so that means more labor and materials to construct the sturdier base upon which the highway is built. There are bridges which are $$$$$. There are also mitigating costs, because the highway is being built on flat land with local labor and materials instead of rugged remote land with labor and materials shipped in which would be the case with the TrumpWall.

$5 Billion for a 2000 mile wall is bullshit and everyone knows it but Trump has built his whole life and persona on winning and he just cannot lose.

Also next week I'm gonna take a picture of the artillery piece in Starke that is aimed south directly down US 301. Why? Florida.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The most erotic part of a woman

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Edit: wrong thread

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

while we were watching big dick magic

https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1082057464131043328
https://twitter.com/60Minutes/status/1082067620004810752

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
She was a waitress at the time? That’s incredible. How did she get the support to be the party representative and how did she get the money to actually run a campaign?

Teach me your wisdom Jedi master

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

She was a waitress at the time? That’s incredible. How did she get the support to be the party representative and how did she get the money to actually run a campaign?

Teach me your wisdom Jedi master

She didn't, she managed to primary the 3rd most powerful democrat in the House by just doing good local campaigning and no real money

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

So you know, she actually tried unlike other democrats

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

hell, same

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Christian Bale just thanked Satan in his Golden Globes acceptance speech for inspiring his preformance.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Were those his words or did he actually thank Dick "Mass Murderer" Cheney?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He literally thanked Satan.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

He thanked Satan lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

She didn't, she managed to primary the 3rd most powerful democrat in the House by just doing good local campaigning and no real money

So you know, she actually tried unlike other democrats

Yeah, one of the things with having ultra-safe districts is a lot of these people have never faced a competitive election. Like Joe Crowley was put in place by by his successor replacing his name with Crowley's on the ballot on the last day to do so, preventing anyone else from trying to get the nomination, and since he's in an overwhelmingly dem district, never faced any kind of republican challenge.

For another example, Pelosi was the handpicked replacement by her predecessor, who threw all her business contacts behind her and she's never faced a real opponent, ever.

swickles posted:

He literally thanked Satan.

seems reasonable.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My cousin worked on Spider-Man: Into the Spiderverse & it won best animated movie. Here's hoping it does the same at the Academy Awards.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pretty sure Jeff Bridges just went on a drunken rant at the Golden Globes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Dude just gave an engineering lecture and talked about Buckminster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Glumslinger posted:

Quoting for emphasis, AOC ran a grass roots knock on every door campaign during the primary and won because she knocked on all the doors while the incumbent didn't campaign at all. AOC won by a very slim margin in the primary and her win surprised everyone including her.