Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Troi is Lt-Cmdr, hardly a low rank. There's the uncountable hundreds of ensigns and lts below her still, with only like, two people substantively above her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

She became a full commander in the b-story to the Data-as-Frankenstein's-Monster episode. Probably to placate Marina Sirtis by giving her something to do.

I'm sure in-universe, they never expected her to actually be in command during a critical situation like in Disaster. She'd be the one getting bridge duties while the ship was in spacedock or whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

spincube posted:

I don't think the Q put the anti-time whatsit there on purpose?

Q didn't put it there at all (directly). Picard put it there by initiating the same :techno: in the three time periods. The paradox he had to realize wasn't it moving backwards in time, they knew it was anti-time early on. The test was figuring out that HE was causing it and stopping.

Of course, it was only possible because of Q shunting him back and forth through time.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Troi is Lt-Cmdr, hardly a low rank. There's the uncountable hundreds of ensigns and lts below her still, with only like, two people substantively above her.

Am I misremembering or did she have to ask what a warp core breach was in one episode? I want to say it was the one where she was somehow the ranking officer on the bridge and she got into it with Ro.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

CaveGrinch posted:

Am I misremembering or did she have to ask what a warp core breach was in one episode? I want to say it was the one where she was somehow the ranking officer on the bridge and she got into it with Ro.

Yep, "Disaster." It's what motivated her to kill Geordi and get promoted.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Encounter at Farpoint reads as a parody at my current space and time

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

lol but seriously I posted:

Encounter at Farpoint reads as a parody at my current space and time

It features some of the most Troi-est telepathy ever, though. From sadness dialed up to 11 to anger dialed up to 11, it's all there. You wouldn't see psychic empathy quite that intense again until the Traveler landed the Enterprise-D in the magical galaxy where reality is what you think it is because that's just how that corner of space works. Remember how they all got home? If you said, "by thinking happy thoughts," then you're right!! And Troi was there to tell us what it felt like when everyone on board simply chose to be happy and optimistic when they were stranded a billion years from Earth because of an engineering experiment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Again, it's pure San Fran Facebook-exec style politics, where everything presented is right because it has the right trappings without any willingness to explore the complexities of their government's ethics and the consequences of how their approach is executed in challenging scenarios.

The Facebook-world planet is the prime example. Picard would have figured out who the statue was of, and the cultural significance of this person, at some point. He would have learned about the history of the upvote/downvote system and deeply considered what an interruption to that system would mean, and probably even made some references to situations where "pure democracy" would have shaped the Federation in some aspect. The decision to flood the Masterfeed would not have been done lightly, and Picard would have reflected on it after the fact.

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 5, 2019

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

CPColin posted:

Yep, "Disaster." It's what motivated her to kill Geordi and get promoted.

How could anyone possibly even get into the Academy without knowing what a core breach is?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Because she's medical personnel, they always have special paths.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Again, it's pure San Fran Facebook-exec style politics, where everything presented is right because it has the right trappings without any willingness to explore the complexities of their government's ethics and the consequences of how their approach is executed in challenging scenarios.

The Facebook-world planet is the prime example. Picard would have figured out who the statue was of, and the cultural significance of this person, at some point. He would have learned about the history of the upvote/downvote system and deeply considered what an interruption to that system would mean, and probably even made some references to situations where "pure democracy" would have shaped the Federation in some aspect. The decision to flood the Masterfeed would not have been done lightly, and Picard would have reflected on it after the fact.

You honestly seem to be taking to some figment that argued that Captain Mercer is equal to or better than Picard or some paragon. No poo poo Picard was smarter and better. That's very nearly the actual underlying premise of the Orville

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

You honestly seem to be taking to some figment that argued that Captain Mercer is equal to or better than Picard or some paragon. No poo poo Picard was smarter and better. That's very nearly the actual underlying premise of the Orville

It has nothing to do with Picard at all. It has to do with conflict framing. I could have said the same thing using DS9, TOS, or even goddamn Voyager. TOS fleshes out the conflict, and then derives a conclusion from the conflict. The Orville arrives with its conclusion intact, and then constructs a strawman conflict that is resolved with this pre-packaged political perspective, in the process never having been credibly challenged or explored.

The episode with the flying farmship is a perfect example; the show enters obviously believing organized religion is bad but a little mysticism can be cutesy as long as we all know it's stupid bullshit your girlfriend likes or some poo poo. Then an episode is written where having this exact perspective on religion is 100% justified. The Orville reeks of backforming conflicts instead of cultivating conflicts.

loving TAS did it better with How Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth.

Pick fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 5, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I see what you're saying now and yeah it's generally true. The Orville is not as good at philosophy as most Trek. It tends to rush that stuff to get in some jokes.

I suspect there are a lot of forces at work behind the curtain including that Fox doesn't think enough people would watch conference table Trek in 2018/19 or that Seth genuinely loves Trek but misses out a bit when trying to recreate it, especially with the added humor.

On the other hand, the episodes are often every bit as worthy of moral discussion among viewers. Maybe (and perhaps by accident) moreso since we'd more often criticize what we saw rather than just nod sagely and say Picard Good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pick posted:

The episode with the flying farmship is a perfect example; the show enters obviously believing organized religion is bad but a little mysticism can be cutesy as long as we all know it's stupid bullshit your girlfriend likes or some poo poo. Then an episode is written where having this exact perspective on religion is 100% justified. The Orville reeks of backforming conflicts instead of cultivating conflicts.

Yeah I'd agree with that

That laziness is particularly evident with the S1 ender, which filled in the conflict by using the most cliche possible options at every point.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

The Bloop posted:

On the other hand, the episodes are often every bit as worthy of moral discussion among viewers. Maybe (and perhaps by accident) moreso since we'd more often criticize what we saw rather than just nod sagely and say Picard Good.

The same kind of conversations seem to be happening after episodes of this show that I can remember happening after episodes of Trek when it was good, show's not perfect but so far it's been close enough for me *shrug*

p.s. its fine for a show to say organized religion is bad and to start from that point is not an invalid position to take

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

You're all talking about a planet where what you imagine comes true. And saying "The Orville" but I think you mean TOS, with Bones and The White Rabbit and whatnot.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

simplefish posted:

You're all talking about a planet where what you imagine comes true. And saying "The Orville" but I think you mean TOS, with Bones and The White Rabbit and whatnot.

TNG and DS9 both did that plot, if not specifically on a planet, too.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ty memoryalpha

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
this is still the best memoryalpha page

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/BoomerNiner/status/1081391340292898817

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish that was a real scene.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That just makes me want a Vitruvian Morn

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I started watching Voyager from the third season onward, skipping the opening two-parter in which the resolution to the Kazon plot is "they took back the ship and left their space, with nothing within their space having changed". "Flashback" is really good because Tuvok's actor, Tim Russ, really sold it in this one, it has a lot of background information on his character, and it has some scenes with George Takei as a guest star that feel like they really fit into Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. "The Swarm" is also good, but the conclusion with The Doctor having lost his memory and this confusingly never being referenced again makes the ending a little anticlimactic.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

galenanorth posted:

I started watching Voyager from the third season onward, skipping the opening two-parter in which the resolution to the Kazon plot is "they took back the ship and left their space, with nothing within their space having changed". "Flashback" is really good because Tuvok's actor, Tim Russ, really sold it in this one, it has a lot of background information on his character, and it has some scenes with George Takei as a guest star that feel like they really fit into Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. "The Swarm" is also good, but the conclusion with The Doctor having lost his memory and this confusingly never being referenced again makes the ending a little anticlimactic.

Flashback also established canonically that all Starfleet officers sleep in full uniform.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tuvok has jammies. we see them.

well gently caress, here's just the memory alpha page on pajamas

e: although it's incomplete! I know offhand we see Sisko, Jadzia, and Bashir in pajamas.

Sisko's are a man's jammies :lofty:.

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 6, 2019

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Memory Alpha is not buying what Jonathan is selling re: what that woman is wearing.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Lobster God posted:

Flashback also established canonically that all Starfleet officers sleep in full uniform.

That's normal, though? I wear my uniform at all times; sleeping, bathing, I don't even remove my trousers while defecating.

My sergeant-major and I have a standing Monday morning charge parade.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
“Looking for par’Mach in All the Wrong Places” has the saddest B-plot ever. O’Brien and Kira have more chemistry in five minutes than he and Keiko have had in five years. :(

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Keiko's a good woman!!

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Riker in those fuzzy one-piece jammies with feet, only you know it's the future in Space because there's no poop-hatch and there's an embroidered Starfleet arrowhead made out of this material:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Pick posted:

Keiko's a good woman!!

She’s a terrible wife.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

LOL go to that MA entry about nightgowns and click on the link to "woman"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Phylodox posted:

She’s a terrible wife.

Just ask Klinger!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Keiko took the kid for a year and comes back sometimes just for sex, letting O'Brien live a bachelor life. And tries to give him a romantic getaway with Kira. She's the best wife ever

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Memory Alpha is not buying what Jonathan is selling re: what that woman is wearing.

Lol

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

galenanorth posted:

"The Swarm" is also good, but the conclusion with The Doctor having lost his memory and this confusingly never being referenced again makes the ending a little anticlimactic.

It is very briefly mentioned at the beginning of Future’s End, part 2, but the first chunk of season 3 is a bit of a mess continuity wise with episodes 1,2,5 and 7 being made as part of Season 2 and the others being made at the beginning of Season 3. Of the first 7 episodes, The Swarm was the last of the 7 to be made, so subsequent episodes which should have referenced it were already long completed.

Of course at the same time that would mean episodes having long term consequences, and we know how much Voyager loves them...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

spincube posted:

Riker in those fuzzy one-piece jammies with feet, only you know it's the future in Space because there's no poop-hatch and there's an embroidered Starfleet arrowhead made out of this material:

I have a nice comforter made out of this material and I bought it specifically because lol star trek, unfortunately it's so slippery it just slides off of whatever I put it on so it's useless

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My favorite part of the TNG bedding is the weird flat triangle pillows that must have been completely useless to lay on. The concrete slab cots from DS9 look more comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Man I wish I had those. Ever pillow I buy is way too thick. I sleep without one entirely most of the time when my neck is sore and then it feels better