Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Two questions:

1) How did they transition Edge and Christian from being vampires to just being dudes? Did they ever storyline de-vamp? Or was it like "ah ha! We never specifically said they were vampires, so maybe they were just weird goth guys!" or what? I had stopped watching around then.

2) I feel like New Japan has very little for me ever since Shibata murdered himself and Nagata stepped aside. What's my best option for watching really quality matches with tough bastards kicking the gently caress out of each other now? I care about quality matches but also how easy or difficult it is to follow a timeline. It doesn't have to be current, but I'd really like to watch things with some semblance of order and direction rather than just searching youtube for whatever old NOAH or Big Japan Strong match looks good. Basically I want a thing worth watching and a way worth watching it on.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Two questions:

1) How did they transition Edge and Christian from being vampires to just being dudes? Did they ever storyline de-vamp? Or was it like "ah ha! We never specifically said they were vampires, so maybe they were just weird goth guys!" or what? I had stopped watching around then.

the brood were only ever described as "living a vampire lifestyle" i don't think we were ever supposed to believe they were actual supernatural undead monsters, they were just really into Vampire: The Masquerade LARPing which is reinforced by the fact they were led by a man named Gangrel

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TTBF posted:

Nikkolas, you should check out the NY 64 thread and listen to the podcast in the OP for more info on the ring boy scandal, as well as a lot more.

Thanks for the link. I'm listening to the podcast right now and also subscribed to that thread.

This is gonna make me so dirty for giving these people money now. I should be looking at other wrestling companies anyway. I'm interested in Mexican wrestling now and just started following CMLL on YouTube.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Alaois posted:

the brood were only ever described as "living a vampire lifestyle" i don't think we were ever supposed to believe they were actual supernatural undead monsters, they were just really into Vampire: The Masquerade LARPing which is reinforced by the fact they were led by a man named Gangrel

So did they just show up one day and were no longer goth? I just don't get how you go from that to calling your fans "peeps"

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

2) I feel like New Japan has very little for me ever since Shibata murdered himself and Nagata stepped aside. What's my best option for watching really quality matches with tough bastards kicking the gently caress out of each other now? I care about quality matches but also how easy or difficult it is to follow a timeline. It doesn't have to be current, but I'd really like to watch things with some semblance of order and direction rather than just searching youtube for whatever old NOAH or Big Japan Strong match looks good. Basically I want a thing worth watching and a way worth watching it on.

Every current All Japan match that I've seen describes what you're looking for. Dragon Gate is another option, although it's harder to track down to see if you'll like it. Both have streaming services.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They went from vampire adjacent wrestlers to just wrestlers after the TIT ladder match (:russo:), and then over the next couple years slowly got goofier with the biggest switch coming out of backstage stuff with Kurt Angle, which led to them cutting pre-match promos and the "for the benefit of those with flash photography..." before eventually Christian betrayed Edge and Edge turned face for a while.

If I'm not mistaken, Christian calling the crowd his "peeps" was supposed to be a heel move but the crowd dug it and started cheering him, and then Christian ran into the JAAAAAAAAWN CEEEEEEEENA train and got trapped in mid-card hell before eventually bouncing when his contract was up and being the Biggest Signing In NWA TNA History Until Kurt Angle Arrived

So to answer your question: yes

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Man, I was so hype about the Christian/Tomko/Trish pseudo-faction for like, all five minutes of it

also in glorious tape-recorder-recording-a-TV-playing-a-VHS quality, here's the weird transitional phase of Edge & Christian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oreQq1KHCqI

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Tomko, drop me a beat."

"No."

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Current NOAH is probably the closest to this but is a little difficult to keep up with without a streaming service. There are Twitter accounts you can follow that'll post the links to their stuff but it takes more effort.

BJW's Strong Division is also great but BJW Core loving sucks and is down for maintenance.

AJPW has a streaming service and has a lot of tough bastards. If you start with this year's Champion Carnival or Oudou Tournament then there's a bunch of matches right up your alley. Not much in the way of a back catalogue though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry to bust in with another random question but I've been watching those Wrestling's Most Countdowns from Kayfabe Commentaries and they interviewed a lot of ex wrestlers and wrestling personalities. One person featured has a mask on and is only listed as Masked Superstar. Everybody in the comments though says it is Bill Eddie/Ax. Can anyone think of why he would try to disguise himself?

I don't know much about Demolition except they were a Road Warrior knockoff that were actually really good and got over in spite of this. And I think they are persona non grata with the WWE despite being such an important tag team? Dunno if that plays any part in why he was hiding his identity.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Masked Superstar was his gimmick before Demolition

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry to bust in with another random question but I've been watching those Wrestling's Most Countdowns from Kayfabe Commentaries and they interviewed a lot of ex wrestlers and wrestling personalities. One person featured has a mask on and is only listed as Masked Superstar. Everybody in the comments though says it is Bill Eddie/Ax. Can anyone think of why he would try to disguise himself?

I don't know much about Demolition except they were a Road Warrior knockoff that were actually really good and got over in spite of this. And I think they are persona non grata with the WWE despite being such an important tag team? Dunno if that plays any part in why he was hiding his identity.

They are persona non grata because they came up with the gimmick, and sued Vince to get the rights to it, and won, and Vince is a petty, petty man.

Masked Superstar was hella over back in the day, btw.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Masked Superstar was his gimmick before Demolition

Randaconda posted:

They are persona non grata because they came up with the gimmick, and sued Vince to get the rights to it, and won, and Vince is a petty, petty man.

Huh, well that's remarkably simple and straightforward. Thank you both.

I really gotta figure out a way to go back and watch all this old stuff. I guess there's the Network but a lot of the best wrestling from the 80s wasn't WWF so far as I know. Lots of online tape sellers but that poo poo gets expensive. Not that I blame them and it's pretty cool this stuff even still exists at all.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

I really gotta figure out a way to go back and watch all this old stuff. I guess there's the Network but a lot of the best wrestling from the 80s wasn't WWF so far as I know. Lots of online tape sellers but that poo poo gets expensive. Not that I blame them and it's pretty cool this stuff even still exists at all.

Arguably, most of the best in-ring stuff was not in WWF in the 80s, since everybody was gassed to the gills there.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

NikkolasKing posted:

this channel uploads a lot of memphis and georgia stuff https://www.youtube.com/user/KrisZ891979

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Randaconda posted:

Masked Superstar was also the Super Machine before Demoliton

But Demolition also threw their names in with the concussion lawsuit that ambulance chaser tries every couple years, so you're probably not going to see them for a while.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Current NOAH is probably the closest to this but is a little difficult to keep up with without a streaming service. There are Twitter accounts you can follow that'll post the links to their stuff but it takes more effort.

BJW's Strong Division is also great but BJW Core loving sucks and is down for maintenance.

AJPW has a streaming service and has a lot of tough bastards. If you start with this year's Champion Carnival or Oudou Tournament then there's a bunch of matches right up your alley. Not much in the way of a back catalogue though.

I'm starting to get into NOAH simply because it is so much easier to follow, if you know the right places to look. Though it was annoying when they stopped updating the Puroresu Dream website.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Are there any booking runs that are seen as critical successes but commercial failures? Since drawing is so important you don't really hear about stuff like that. The only two that come to mind for me are Eddie Gilbert in Continental and Paul Heyman in ECW

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Smoking Crow posted:

Are there any booking runs that are seen as critical successes but commercial failures? Since drawing is so important you don't really hear about stuff like that. The only two that come to mind for me are Eddie Gilbert in Continental and Paul Heyman in ECW

Steve Austin heel turn 2001.

Edit. Sorry, thought you meant specific angles rather than promotors.

CityMidnightJunky fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 6, 2019

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Smoking Crow posted:

First 9 years of ROH?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So are the NOAH and AJPW streaming services better than NJPW World? Last time I checked out World they used Google Translate and had like a zillion bad transliterations of Big Van Vader tagged.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
1997 WWF might fit? Creatively far better than what followed: but commercially not great really - Mania 13 was the worst Mania for business in history despite having the best WWF match in history on it.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IceAgeComing posted:

1997 WWF might fit? Creatively far better than what followed: but commercially not great really - Mania 13 was the worst Mania for business in history despite having the best WWF match in history on it.

To be fair, Mania 13 was loving terrible outside the best Mania match in history

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

WCW in 89 was one of the best years in wrestling history but the company didn't draw well at all.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MassRafTer posted:

WCW in 89 was one of the best years in wrestling history but the company didn't draw well at all.

God, Ric Flair might have been the best wrestler I've ever seen, overall, that whole year.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Smoking Crow posted:

Lucha Underground, initially, and brief periods of latter day TNA hype from between when taping occurred and stuff actually aired

Technically, several of NXT’s hot streak years

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Randaconda posted:

God, Ric Flair might have been the best wrestler I've ever seen, overall, that whole year.

It's a toss up between Flair's run in 89, Okada's 17/18 IWGP run and Kobashi's GHC run as best overall title run in terms of in ring quality

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So are the NOAH and AJPW streaming services better than NJPW World? Last time I checked out World they used Google Translate and had like a zillion bad transliterations of Big Van Vader tagged.

New Japan World is the easiest to use of all the streaming Japanese wrestling services. Despite still having lots of bad transliterations of wrestlers and the search being useless.

NOAH doesn't even have a service. If I want to watch any I tend to check PuroresuDream on Twitter. I believe they have most of their broadcast 2018 shows but I've just checked and they've also not tweeted since Christmas so maybe they've gone dark. Which would suck. Alternatively, Rutube, Daily Motion, it's ridiculously easy to find any wrestling from Japan that's been televised between those 2 sites. Mainly rutube.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 6, 2019

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Stardom World is really easy to use but it's also Web 1.0

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

New Japan World is the easiest to use of all the streaming Japanese wrestling services. Despite still having lots of bad transliterations of wrestlers and the search being useless.

Maybe I should just get World and watch every Nagata match they have and then jump to NOAH to fill in the gaps. I really miss Yuji Nagata, y'all.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Maybe I should just get World and watch every Nagata match they have and then jump to NOAH to fill in the gaps. I really miss Yuji Nagata, y'all.

Seems like they might be angling for a Nagata/Ishii singles match at New Beginning?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

Seems like they might be angling for a Nagata/Ishii singles match at New Beginning?

Oh *poo poo*.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Stardom are ahead of others on making the stories around certain things accessible: usually each match has little pre-match promos with the people involved that are subtitled into English as are any post-match stuff. It’s not everything - press conferences aren’t but I imagine that considering this stuff is a one man effort that’s too much work - and that plus their English social media makes them easier to get into than a lot of other promotions.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Two questions:

Edge and Christian split off from Gangrel so Gangrel recruited the Hardys to be The New Brood and the two teams were engaged in some farce called the Teri Invitation Tournament (or T.I.T. because Russo,) but then they had that amazing ladder match, so the next night, the two teams shared a promo talking about what an accomplishment that match was, because it was so good it was actually noteworthy enough to do that. Teri was dropped, and the Hardys said during that promo that "we're not The New Brood. We're the Hardys" and that was that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Can anybody else no longer edit their posts, or is it just me?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I was never able to edit your posts, but have kept on trying for my entire posting career

edit: This is not a real edit. Just kidding; it is a real edit. I've added it to the post and it wasn't here originally but I have done so quickly enough that it doesn't show up as edited.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
If the big North Korean expo... thing is the biggest wrestling gate in history (with the caveat that attendance was basically mandatory), what's the second biggest? I.e. the biggest "legit" attendance for a wrestling show?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why do you think that a crowd is "illegitimate" because they weren't motivated by low-brow entertainment, but by an interest in examining decadent Western popular culture through the lens of Juche Thought, Comrade Kim il Sung's creative doctrine of Marxism-Leninism?

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Maxwell Lord posted:

If the big North Korean expo... thing is the biggest wrestling gate in history (with the caveat that attendance was basically mandatory), what's the second biggest? I.e. the biggest "legit" attendance for a wrestling show?

1992 SummerSlam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well the second biggest is the other night of the North Korean Peace Festival show!

There are reports that Jim Londos drew 100,000 for a match in Greece but it was probably less than that.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 7, 2019