Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

yeah he's right, you kids suck, you...

*reads card*

....kids who saw their best friends got murdered at school next to them and nothing has been done to stop this kind of thing for 30+ years, you guys uhh, yeah you suck.

and what's up with this global warming thing? what's so bad about a little heat, I thought everyone liked warm weather!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

I've been listening to some Bill Hicks compilations on my phone which doesn't have an ad blocker and it's real weird listening to him rail on advertising, marketing and the satan spawn of consumerism then get interrupted for an ad. In a way, it kind of fits the material.

And, geez. I didn't know Hicks did some of those horrible gay jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_wVZXLW7vo

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Bruh those were not even good jokes lol

That poo poo was mad lazy

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
What’s dumb is that the “high schooler testifying before Congress” idea could be a good bit. Except you go about it talking about the absurdity of adults not willing to testify or listen to children saying they don’t want to be shot. So eventually kids try to do it themselves and are outright dismissed despite their very reasoanable pleas of “we don’t want to die of gun violence in school.”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can see a meta bit about the generations of modern slacker teenagers being mad that current teens are behaving like young adults.

"Hey, I didn't jack off for six years just to have you make young me look like a jack off"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's a really easy bit to make good. Just make the focus how absurd it is literal high schoolers are asking lawmakers to make it a BIT harder for them to get gunned down in English Lit, and the lawmakers are going 'eh...I dunno...'

Like, that plus some generic 'I mean, I was a piece of poo poo kid who thought my world was ending when my crush called me a dipshit but these kids saw friends get shot and actually did poo poo instead of breaking down' jokes and you've got a good little current event joke to do.

Instead I guess it's easier to just go 'gently caress those guys am I right fellow chuds?'

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Boywhiz88 posted:

What’s dumb is that the “high schooler testifying before Congress” idea could be a good bit. Except you go about it talking about the absurdity of adults not willing to testify or listen to children saying they don’t want to be shot. So eventually kids try to do it themselves and are outright dismissed despite their very reasoanable pleas of “we don’t want to die of gun violence in school.”

"yeah well we had real bullies in our day loving pussies! They were something to really be scared of. We got our asses beat all the time" is the next step for Louis on that "joke"

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
louis set was good but the comedy crusaders calling him a chud now are even funnier

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

"Kids these days" was tired when Socrates did it

Bitching about kids not wanting to get shot and trans people is literally just fox news. He's not edgy he's just a Chud.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If I wanted to hear a 40 year old white guy complain about kids I'd just listen to one of the thousands of comedy albums put out between 1911 and today.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
what a broken piece of poo poo

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

"Kids these days" was tired when Socrates did it

Bitching about kids not wanting to get shot and trans people is literally just fox news. He's not edgy he's just a Chud.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This is my go to image for showing people that the "Kids/Generation below me" thing is old and has been around forever.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm not going to watch that whole awful set to see how he said this, but as far as I can tell this happened:

https://www.vulture.com/2018/12/louis-ck-leaked-standup-comedy-audio-parkland-nonbinary.html posted:

During an extended bit on black men’s penis sizes, C.K. also delivered a racist joke about Asian men:

You know why Asian guys have small dicks? Cause they’re women, they’re not dudes. They’re all women. All Asians are women. And they have big clits, really big clits, and when they have sex they just stick their clits in each other’s pussies, and then they procreate using math. I can’t prove this, by the way, but I don’t have to.

and I thought this was a pretty alright tweet:

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/sta...-nonbinary.html

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

it's just so fuckin lazy and hacky, goddamn

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
list of lazy unfunny hacks: louis ck, norm macdonald, dave chappelle, chris rock

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Skip My Posts posted:

list of lazy unfunny hacks: louis ck, norm macdonald, dave chappelle, chris rock

im so bummed that i cant disagree with chappelle

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Nah you can. His take on trans people is dumb as fuuuuck.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Any comic can do something hackey. Even Chappelle turned on his own Wayne Brady and Bryant Gumble punchlines.

"Does Wayne Brady have to choke a bitch" was written as part of him making up with Brady about it.

Chris Rock disowned his most famous bit because he realized it ended up being harmful

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Any comic can do something hackey. Even Chappelle turned on his own Wayne Brady and Bryant Gumble punchlines.

"Does Wayne Brady have to choke a bitch" was written as part of him making up with Brady about it.

Chris Rock disowned his most famous bit because he realized it ended up being harmful

Any comedian who performs primarily for a minority audience has to worry about the majority distorting their message. I hope Mel Brooks never finds out that straight up Nazi apologists are using him as a defense of their right to make antisemitic “jokes.” https://youtu.be/62cPPSyoQkE

(Though Chris Rock also has a lot of sexist jokes that have nothing to do with a misguided audience, and his pro-bully bit in his latest special was awful.)

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 3, 2019

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe you guys are dumb dumbs and those guys are funny. Ever think of that?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Skip My Posts posted:

Maybe you guys are dumb dumbs and those guys are funny. Ever think of that?

Nah.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
*anxiously wrings hands*

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
RIP Super Dave.

Also, Lol when people believe outright that Dave, Norm and Chris aren't funny. This current wave of comedy can't leave fast enough. I don't know if I want it to go back to what it was in the past but drat.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

They're funny they also have material that didn't age well and have some hack/sexist/homophobic etc material. It's possible to think both of these things.

Goon hyperbole: requiring people be hand held through the simplest things

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Odddzy posted:

RIP Super Dave.

Also, Lol when people believe outright that Dave, Norm and Chris aren't funny. This current wave of comedy can't leave fast enough. I don't know if I want it to go back to what it was in the past but drat.

There is no such thing as the current wave of comedy. It's something you made up to feel better. All comedy ages poorly. Literally, all comedy from the history of comedy.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

WerthersWay posted:

There is no such thing as the current wave of comedy. It's something you made up to feel better. All comedy ages poorly. Literally, all comedy from the history of comedy.

That ancient roman graffiti that was basically the first "what if I'm gay" is still good

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Brutus go on Cvm Towne

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
And yeah, Norm, Chappelle, Rock, etc are funny as hell which is why it's disappointing to see them fall into the same dumb old man hack poo poo as a million mediocre comedians before them.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I for one am partially glad that they're getting lazy. It leaves room for new comics to rise in the ranks. Also, I'm partially pissed because they're getting paid good money and they're just coasting.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

WerthersWay posted:

Sure, we've passed and outgrown a lot of stuff when it comes to comedy, but the new stuff doesn't make me laugh at all. the state of comedy currently is kind of rough for my tastes. Like it's all manufactured and not really coming from an interesting point of view, it's all just about trump on TV for example. Open mics where I live (not the US) have comedians making jokes on the wall and it's just incredibly cringe. I've never done stand-up so I can't talk about the state of it for people on stage, but I do feel like people are more interested in finding and exaggerating their outrage on the subject of a joke instead of enjoying silliness for it's own sake.

Edit : I've been watching a lot of kids in the hall sketches these past weeks and by god those guys had/have an interesting points of views on things. most stuff nowadays has absolutely no edge in comparison.

Odddzy fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 5, 2019

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Can someone post clips from a funny & unknown/ascending comic? I'm out of the loop on Global Comedy and would gladly read subtitles if necessary

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

WerthersWay posted:

Mitch Hedburg?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Laterite posted:

And yeah, Norm, Chappelle, Rock, etc are funny as hell which is why it's disappointing to see them fall into the same dumb old man hack poo poo as a million mediocre comedians before them.

Remember how baffled Seinfeld was at kids not laughing at his "gay French king" joke?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

Can someone post clips from a funny & unknown/ascending comic? I'm out of the loop on Global Comedy and would gladly read subtitles if necessary

You're in luck. On New Year's Day, Netflix posted several dozen comedy specials from international stand-ups from quite a few countries (including a handful from the U.S.), under the heading Comedians of the World. They all have subtitles, so it's fascinating to see the universality of certain subjects and themes in comedy, as well as the nation-specific differences.

One of the U.S. comics with a new special on Comedians of the World is Nicole Byer, the host of Nailed It (that baking show where everyone screws up their cakes), and she was hilarious. I've liked her ever since she showed up on the How Did This Get Made podcast to discuss Bloodsport, but mostly just talked about wanting to bang Van Damme.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You're in luck. On New Year's Day, Netflix posted several dozen comedy specials from international stand-ups from quite a few countries (including a handful from the U.S.), under the heading Comedians of the World. They all have subtitles, so it's fascinating to see the universality of certain subjects and themes in comedy, as well as the nation-specific differences.

One of the U.S. comics with a new special on Comedians of the World is Nicole Byer, the host of Nailed It (that baking show where everyone screws up their cakes), and she was hilarious. I've liked her ever since she showed up on the How Did This Get Made podcast to discuss Bloodsport, but mostly just talked about wanting to bang Van Damme.

Thanks, will dig through Netflix

Nicole was funny on Doughboys and high-energy-enough to hold her own on High & Mighty

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Analytic Engine posted:

Nicole was funny on Doughboys and high-energy-enough to hold her own on High & Mighty

I think she's amazing and wish her all the best. Hopefully this special will give her career a boost like "Mostly Sex Stuff" did for Amy Schumer.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Someone leaked an unaired Match Game pilot form 2008 with Norm Macdonald, Super Dave, Sarah Silverman, Scott Thompson, Niecy Nash and Rashida Jones as the panelists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufi__LSY6o

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
People are saying stand up is a dead and tired art form but I don't know.

Jim Jeffries is top ten all time already I think. Kinane and Stanhope are pretty loving great. Chapelle's specials were good and CK had a good run there. I still like Chris Rock. There's good stuff out there.

Did anyone watch "Bumping Mics" on Netflix? It was pretty hit or miss but I like Jeff Ross and Dave Attell a lot plus I love that improvisational format so I found it worth my time overall. Good to have on the background while you're doing poo poo.

What do people think of Joey Diaz?

And, apropos of nothing, I find that stand up is perfect for keeping your spirits up when you're cleaning, painting or doing some mundane poo poo that you hate. My co-workers think I'm insane because I stream comedy at work and often burst out laughing at seemingly random periods.

Speaking of really popular comics, wtf ever happened to the horribly unfunny yet somehow stupidly popular and uber famous Dane Cook? Did people finally figure out he sucks or did he retire or something? He's like The Big Bang Theory of stand up and how he filled arenas is baffling to me. Like I even get Dice and Kevin Hart packing arenas but how the gently caress did Cook ever claim that throne?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

14-24 was cooks demo they aged out