Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BoyBlunder posted:

I haven't read Tom King's Batman - is that worth picking it up, meaning vol 1 up to the wedding?

I think so. It was already love it or hate it, and I think the result of the wedding tipped people to the hate side, but I think there are a lot of brilliant issues getting there.

edit: His other DC stuff, Grayson, Omega Men, and Sheriff of Babylon are definite picks.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Nov 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

BoyBlunder posted:

Comixology is doing a DC sale for Black Friday - up to 88% off (https://www.comixology.com/DC_Black...iday_Sale_Email)

I haven't read Tom King's Batman - is that worth picking it up, meaning vol 1 up to the wedding?

I have only read up to I Am Bane but it was quite good throughout, it adds a degree of emotional vulnerability to Batman that I liked (I Am Suicide).

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
How often does Marvel Unlimited put out a promo code? I'm thinking about treating myself and getting it for a month in December, when I'll have some time off work to just chill and read.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC BOGO sale is up
https://www.comixology.com/DC-Buy-One-Get-One-Free-Sale/page/20228

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

If you're getting something expensive, the 5$ DC trade sale is still going on over on amazon

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1071105976793591810?s=19

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Don't really read a lot of Manga, but that seems nuts for $2.

What does this mean?

quote:

Can I read all 10,000 chapters in one day?!
Currently, the limit is 100 chapters a day. You will be able to read another 100 chapters beginning 12 a.m. Pacific Standard time each day.

How much is that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm sure it varies by series but generally a chapter is from what I've seen the size of a western floppy in page length if not a little more

So 100 is still a lot

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

site posted:

I'm sure it varies by series but generally a chapter is from what I've seen the size of a western floppy in page length if not a little more

So 100 is still a lot

But 10,000 might not be a lot of series - isn't One Piece like a thousand chapters by itself?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
No idea I've never read it, the video says that 10k is just about everything they've ever published in English though

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

100 manga chapters is roughly equivalent to 10 shonen jump books. 10,000 chapters would be 1,000 manga books, which is conceivably more than SJ has available in English.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Reading 100 chapters a day would basically be setting a pretty big chunk of time a day aside just for reading manga.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
For reference, the complete ten year run of Dragon Ball is 519 chapters, Naruto and Bleach in their entirety are around 700 chapters each, and One Piece is up to chapter 926.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yeah, that's a lot. I read 20th Century Boys when it was slow at work. If I believe Wikipedia, that's about 144 chapters. Took me at least a week.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't read Manga outside of Lone Wolf and Cub, but for 2$, that's worth a shot.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Been messing with the Shonen Jump sub, so I figured I'd report in with some thoughts.

You can totally just download the app and see what their selection is without having to subscribe, but there's one small catch, you can't read the collected volumes for free, just chapters. Most series offer both options available, but certain popular series like One Punch Man or Tokyo Ghoul don't offer chapters. There's also a few chapters you can read for free (like One Piece #1-3!!) to try out the comic viewer.

Downloaded chapters automatically get deleted after 7 days.
Also there's no indicator if you've read a chapter or not, so good luck trying to keep track of where you are in One Piece without using up your 100 chapters a day.
There needs to be some kind of way to bookmark or favorite a series, so I'm not scrolling through the entire list of comics. Also on that note, their search seems broken.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 20, 2018

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Meh, I wish comixology unlimited was open outside the US, if not for the free comics then for the discounts.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So this Wolverine is back poo poo. Its on sale. Is it done? How many parts are needed how many are just loving unneeded?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

given your tone it seems like you already think all of it is unneeded

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Alaois posted:

given your tone it seems like you already think all of it is unneeded

Nah its just I see like 500 pages for the Hunt for Wolverine and as I'm adding to cart I see there is like 4 other tie ins, and its drat hard to know if they are needed to understand the story. Or was this event like Fear Itself and best avoided altogether?
I like going in blind but its a giant hassle when swaths of the story are sold separately or trying to find out if a comic is good without spoiling it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I haven't read anything since the Hunt for Wolverine one-shot, but maybe just wait for the proper ongoing and read the recap.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
It feels a year has gone by and Wolverine is still in the process of returning without a full explanation for it.

That said, I did like parts of the Hunt for Wolverine.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Have not payed attention to the old Wolverine, but I enjoyed All-New Wolverine.

Which does not feature the original Wolverine, but female clone of Wolverine.

And a clone of the clone.

And future version of Wolverine.

And an actual wolverine.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hunt for Wolverine was not an event or anything it is just a few disconnected minis featuring various groups of people searching for Wolverine after his resurrection. The books are not actually about Wolverine and deal more with those characters and their relationships with Wolverine. They don’t really advance the Return Wolverine at all.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I have no idea what’s happening with Wolverine or the infinite Infinity books.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

So wait, Doctor Octopus is Wolverine?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
For whoever was asking about hellboy sales a while ago, comixology just sent me an email saying their dark horse catalog is 50% off right now

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I think you need to use the code DH50

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Uthor posted:

I think you need to use the code DH50

Yep. And unfortunately, it doesn't stack with the 15% off for Unlimited members. Guess Dark Horse has a deal a'la DC Comics not allowing you to use both.

This DID get me to the deals page, where I found that there were loads of deals on Image, DC and Marvel stuff, so I picked up some trades I've been meaning to get (Saga, Paper Girls, the Ed Piskor X-Men stuff, etc.)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I'm a weirdo and like getting single issues digitally. All the recent Marvel sales were for collections. :(

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Huge comics sale at Amazon starting today.

I've been meaning to start Hellblazer forever and it looks like most (all?) of it is on sale. What should I get?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J4YTJV4/ref=series_rw_dp_sw

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The OP mentions some kind of front end for Marvel Unlimited called Nightcrawler, but the link is dead. Does this still exist in any form? Is there any other way to make MU a little more user friendly?

Wish they would have picked a name that’s easier to search for.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I wrote the OP and don't remember Nightcrawler at all. :ohdear:

Sorry, can't help you. I haven't used Marvel Unlimited in forever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The last time I used Nightcrawler it was busted, or at least not updated enough to be useful.

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

It looks like Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators is still up and scraping. It's not particularly friendly, especially for non-PC browsing, but it has some useful indexing. I used to use the yearly summary for browsing Marvel Unlimited:

http://www.maelmill-insi.de/UHBMCC/dat2018.htm

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Baby Proof posted:

It looks like Unofficial Handbook of Marvel Comics Creators is still up and scraping. It's not particularly friendly, especially for non-PC browsing, but it has some useful indexing. I used to use the yearly summary for browsing Marvel Unlimited:

http://www.maelmill-insi.de/UHBMCC/dat2018.htm

If you don't mind, I quoted this in the OP.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 6, 2019

Baby Proof
May 16, 2009

There is a no-frames page, https://maelmill-insi.de/UHBMCC/datanfr.htm so the indexes aren't 100% broken on tablets, but I'd just go straight to the yearly summary pages for browsing.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

If anyone else uses Comixology Unlimited, they've just added DC and Vertigo books.

You also get the same 15% discount you get with Marvel.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Oh HELL yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Greekonomics posted:

If anyone else uses Comixology Unlimited, they've just added DC and Vertigo books.

You also get the same 15% discount you get with Marvel.

Huh, this might get me to sign up for unlimited