Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

That is something I won't miss about the 90s, everything was just about grossness for a while.

Everybody wanted their own Ren & Stimpy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDC216wFedQ

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
I would like to think Batman: TAS is the beginning where I actually began to like good shows (and movies) vs. bad shows...
The opening to the show

The music is stellar:
Batman The Animated Series Music

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I had Madden 95. The easiest way to get a touchdown was to go for a fake field goal every damned. I didn't know about 2 point conversions yet, but I'm sure that worked every time too.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Video-game tie-ins for movies was a pretty '90s thing, too, come to think of it. I played the hell out of Independence Day and Tomorrow Never Dies on PS1.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Here's something pretty 90s that I thought about the other day: Oddbodz

For those of you who have never heard of them, they were series of collectible trading cards you got from potato chip packets. Only available in New Zealand and Australia from 1996-1998 or so. There were a few different series and they were hot poo poo at primary (elementary) school.

Very 90s because of the art style and the gross-out humour.

Here's an example:

And a fansite:
http://oddbodz.yolasite.com/

The fact the yellow has faded quite a bit really changes the appearance of that card.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

I actually have one these, minus the back to the battery part. Also one of the buttons is broken. I’m not sure why I haven’t thrown it out.

JuiceOne
Sep 5, 2007

The "neon lights" pop art Pepsi can was scandalous at the time because if you lined up two or three (or something like that) the background design spelled out "SEX"

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

JuiceOne posted:

The "neon lights" pop art Pepsi can was scandalous at the time because if you lined up two or three (or something like that) the background design spelled out "SEX"

I think that was the ice in a coke ad. The Pepsi was a blow job, I believe?

Or maybe they both did? I dunno. Lots of hidden images back then.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Nickelodeon probably
Had a lot to do with the while grossness popularity, what with sowing the seeds in the 80s with You Can’t Do That on Television. By the 90s every show had to have boogers and barf and farts even if it wasn’t necessary because at that point it was literally the identity of Nickelodeon.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Ferrule posted:

I think that was the ice in a coke ad. The Pepsi was a blow job, I believe?

Or maybe they both did? I dunno. Lots of hidden images back then.

Coke BJ
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coca-cola-poster-recall/

Pepsi sex.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pepsis-got-a-lot-to-give/

Sort of...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dialhforhero posted:

Nickelodeon probably
Had a lot to do with the while grossness popularity, what with sowing the seeds in the 80s with You Can’t Do That on Television. By the 90s every show had to have boogers and barf and farts even if it wasn’t necessary because at that point it was literally the identity of Nickelodeon.

Dont forget the Nickleodeon Slime.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I've got a feeling that Gross Era had something to do with the relaxing of Children's Programming rules. I can't really prove it, but it seems like a start

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how Americans talk about you can't do that on television, it's a Canadian show I firmly remember from the 80s.i actually wax friends with the son of the woman who was the mom in sketches when it was like 8.

Its so Wierd that it's seen as a 90s nick classic.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I've got a feeling that Gross Era had something to do with the relaxing of Children's Programming rules. I can't really prove it, but it seems like a start

I assumed it was copying Ren & Stimpy and Garbage Pail Kids.

Edit: Content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oZa38GVD4w

Imagined has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jan 7, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Imagined posted:

I assumed it was copying Ren & Stimpy and Garbage Pail Kids.
Sure, R&S are kind of the Patient Zero for all that. But I doubt it would have been a thing if everyone needed to couch their endings in Knowing is Half the Battle morality plays for kindergarteners.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

burial posted:

I actually have one these, minus the back to the battery part. Also one of the buttons is broken. I’m not sure why I haven’t thrown it out.

I think losing the battery cover was pretty common as the thing went thru batteries so fast you never had time to put the cover back on before having to replace them again.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

twistedmentat posted:

I love how Americans talk about you can't do that on television, it's a Canadian show I firmly remember from the 80s.i actually wax friends with the son of the woman who was the mom in sketches when it was like 8.

A bunch of shows on Nick were Canadian. I remember a soap opera type show that had a young Ryan Gosling.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mu Zeta posted:

A bunch of shows on Nick were Canadian. I remember a soap opera type show that had a young Ryan Gosling.

I think most cable channels were just random stuff in the early days. I mean, there's that Simpsons episode where the Cable Ace award goes to old Starsky and Hutch episodes.

I was thinking about when DVDs were annouced. I think it was 96? I remember most of the complaints where based around vhs was able to record and DVDs couldn't. Also a lot about quality and expense. But really, as soon as it came out, people were loving it. I remember getting a DVD player for Christmas in 1999 with Gladiator. That was the start of an addiction. Glad I started selling them off before the market really fell apart.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking about when DVDs were annouced. I think it was 96? I remember most of the complaints where based around vhs was able to record and DVDs couldn't.
Yeah I remember that argument too but no-one seemed to actually really give a poo poo soon after :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Croccers posted:

Yeah I remember that argument too but no-one seemed to actually really give a poo poo soon after :shrug:
Likely because no one was chucking the VHS player out when they got a DVD player, or getting rid of their VHS/blanks.

We really didn't need DVD quality captures of the nightly news -- well maybe for Rights Disasters like Daria amd Beavis & Butthead...

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

That is something I won't miss about the 90s, everything was just about grossness for a while.

Like Earthbound's bizarre ad campaign:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Do your friends get a discount from the normal rate?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FilthyImp posted:

Likely because no one was chucking the VHS player out when they got a DVD player, or getting rid of their VHS/blanks.

We really didn't need DVD quality captures of the nightly news -- well maybe for Rights Disasters like Daria amd Beavis & Butthead...

Yea, i certainly kept my vcr and so did my parents after we got dvd players. All my anime was on vhs tapes. When I worked for HMV, we still sold blank VHS tapes up until at least 2010, though the last movie I remember being released on vhs that we carried was I think The Two Towers, if not Return Of the King.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

I remember when it was airing I wasn't a huge fan of the video segments in B&B, but now that I"m old I miss the poo poo out of them. I spent so many nights sneaking across the house to watch that show

I watch the Time Life Beavis and Butthead do Christmas DVD every few years.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

I remember when it was airing I wasn't a huge fan of the video segments in B&B, but now that I"m old I miss the poo poo out of them. I spent so many nights sneaking across the house to watch that show

They played a ton of cool, interesting music videos that never ever would have gotten airtime on MTV otherwise. I'm not saying they were all good - in fact, most weren't - but it was really neat finding out that they existed.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Iron Crowned posted:

I watch the Time Life Beavis and Butthead do Christmas DVD every few years.

Their reaction to Milli Vanilli is still one of the funniest things I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaHa2yAunwE

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

uli2000 posted:

I think losing the battery cover was pretty common as the thing went thru batteries so fast you never had time to put the cover back on before having to replace them again.

That’s the thing, isn’t it? I’m pretty sure I almost always just used it plugged in, rendering the portability aspect completely pointless except that grandma probably wouldn’t have let me hook anything up to her actual television.

Somebody told me people are gutting nomads and making little gaming emulators or something out of them? I’d look into it if I had any relevant skills.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Pastry of the Year posted:

They played a ton of cool, interesting music videos that never ever would have gotten airtime on MTV otherwise. I'm not saying they were all good - in fact, most weren't - but it was really neat finding out that they existed.

Is there anyplace that has a good listing of the music videos played on Beavis and Butthead? I'd like to try and find some of the weirder ones my frazzled brain half-remembers from 20 years ago.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ryonguy posted:

Is there anyplace that has a good listing of the music videos played on Beavis and Butthead? I'd like to try and find some of the weirder ones my frazzled brain half-remembers from 20 years ago.

Not sure how completist it is, but here:

http://lyrics.wikia.com/wiki/LyricWiki:Lists/Songs_Featured_In_Beavis_And_Butt-Head

The ultrashitty bit is that the re-releases of B&B don't include any of the good parts, which was them sitting on the couch making GBS threads on MTV's videos and target audience. They just have the interstitials where they wander around the neighborhood and antagonize the proto-Hank Hill neighbor.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

The ultrashitty bit is that the re-releases of B&B don't include any of the good parts, which was them sitting on the couch making GBS threads on MTV's videos and target audience. They just have the interstitials where they wander around the neighborhood and antagonize the proto-Hank Hill neighbor.

The videos are left out due to rights issues. Back when B&B, or other shows that used licensed music, came out, no one considered that in the future someone could own an entire series and not take up a wall. So, MTV had the rights for broadcast, but for home video sale they'd have to renegotiate, this would include royalties, and just be a nightmare considering how varied everything was.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

ryonguy posted:

https://rjwj.home.xs4all.nl/mirror/bnbepguide.html

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

The videos are left out due to rights issues. Back when B&B, or other shows that used licensed music, came out, no one considered that in the future someone could own an entire series and not take up a wall. So, MTV had the rights for broadcast, but for home video sale they'd have to renegotiate, this would include royalties, and just be a nightmare considering how varied everything was.

I've got the "complete**" B&B collection and it has a bunch of the videos, but they're on a separate disc, not part of the episodes on disc.

**Its not complete, there are a lot of episodes, maybe most of them, but there are several that I remember, that aren't included.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wesleywillis posted:

I've got the "complete**" B&B collection and it has a bunch of the videos, but they're on a separate disc, not part of the episodes on disc.

**Its not complete, there are a lot of episodes, maybe most of them, but there are several that I remember, that aren't included.

That's because that set is just the three Mike Judge Collection sets, plus the revival season.

The Mike Judge Collection was a three volume set from the mid 2000's, which only included 2/3 of the series. I will forever cherish my Time Life set that I bought a million years ago because it has some episodes that weren't included there. The other issue I always had with the Mike Judge Collection was that it broke up some of the continuity, for example Beavis and Butthead Do Christmas is split up, and the letters to Santa Butthead are now a special feature (other than the standard videos missing, the Time Life DVD keeps it in it's original context)

Really I hope someone like Shout Factory will get around to putting out a Blu-Ray of everything in original form, with music rights restored. It's just a dream, I know

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Iron Crowned posted:

That's because that set is just the three Mike Judge Collection sets, plus the revival season.

The Mike Judge Collection was a three volume set from the mid 2000's, which only included 2/3 of the series. I will forever cherish my Time Life set that I bought a million years ago because it has some episodes that weren't included there. The other issue I always had with the Mike Judge Collection was that it broke up some of the continuity, for example Beavis and Butthead Do Christmas is split up, and the letters to Santa Butthead are now a special feature (other than the standard videos missing, the Time Life DVD keeps it in it's original context)

Really I hope someone like Shout Factory will get around to putting out a Blu-Ray of everything in original form, with music rights restored. It's just a dream, I know

It happened with The Wonder Years, and the Batman show from the 60s.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Just say "gently caress you, fair use," and put it out anyway and deal with the inevitiable lawsuit. There's hard to imagine a clearer legal case for fair use.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

*cough* The King Turd Collection *cough*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This was the best Beavis and Butthead music video featuring the most 90’s song of all time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8jWiWtIa01c