Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Has The Guardian et al gotten struck with a D-Notice, or is there a liberal consensus to not report on the protests anymore?

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013
The Guardian reported that the 80 year old woman who died was killed by a tear gas canister thrown back by protesters, somehow. They're such cop lovers that they unquestionably recite even foreign police statements as fact.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Biomute posted:

Has The Guardian et al gotten struck with a D-Notice, or is there a liberal consensus to not report on the protests anymore?

It's crazy. They've stormed government buildings and it seems like everyone has decided this is Not News.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shades of baghdad bob

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

cops bein cops, and le monde acting all surprised

https://www.lemonde.fr/societe/arti...05633_3224.html

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Biomute posted:

What's going on?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

english language liberal media has a total blackout on the protests lmao

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Tastykake posted:

english language liberal media has a total blackout on the protests lmao

BBC literally just put it up, took long enough though.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46771363

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
gently caress they know how to 'cade

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

HorrificExistence posted:

gently caress they know how to 'cade

take that baron haussmann

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

DangerousDan posted:

Hey, how could he have foreseen the incredibly rapid advancement of barricade technology over the past century and a half?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

The Guardian reported that the 80 year old woman who died was killed by a tear gas canister thrown back by protesters, somehow. They're such cop lovers that they unquestionably recite even foreign police statements as fact.

Do you have a source for this? I can't find it, and there's no list of redactions.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Western coverage stopped around the time the democratic party adjacents who run New Knowledge got busted for running a fake news campaign during the Roy Moore special election. They coincidentally were the main proponents of it being an alt right protest being orchestrated by russia against the brave radical centre. Without a drum to march to western liberal media doesn't know how to produce content.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol the media blackout is hilarious

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Goon Danton posted:

Hey, how could he have foreseen the incredibly rapid advancement of barricade technology over the past century and a half?

that was his job and if he couldn't do it he deserved to collapse into destitution.

French goons please desecrate his grave with ironic graffiti

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Yeah I definitely had the impression that the protests had ended until I checked this thread. Haven't seen a news story about them in weeks

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Inshallah, the next news we hear out of france is that the government has been deposed and the 6th republic has been declared

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Pizza Segregationist posted:

Yeah I definitely had the impression that the protests had ended until I checked this thread. Haven't seen a news story about them in weeks

yep my impression was the same, iirc media citing winter cold and assumption that they would have to hold off

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Russian troll farm posted:

Inshallah, the next news we hear out of france is that the government has been deposed and the 6th republic has been declared declared martial law and ordered the military to shoot protestors on sight

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Any excitement is good I think

twoday
May 4, 2005

DangerousDan posted:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
US Media is more focused on its own crisis of government so that shoves out a story that hasn't moved on from the French continuing to riot in the streets. The UK still has Brexit shenanigans going on? idk.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

macron au goloug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKVH-a9xWAI

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

God willing you want the government to start shooting people?

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

it sounds perfectly in character for macron

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Terror Sweat posted:

God willing you want the government to start shooting people?

gently caress. No.

I forgot to remove the first part of the quote :shobon:

I bet it would really kick the revolution into gear, but no.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

A Frenchman who was captured pummeling a riot police officer during Yellow Vest protests in Paris has been revealed to be a former professional boxer.

Former light heavyweight champion of France, Christophe Dettinger, was filmed repeatedly punching the officer, who was wielding a baton and a shield, as the protest turned violent on on a bridge in central Paris on Saturday.

Police were forced to retreat as Dettinger vaulted onto the bridge and repeatedly punched the officer despite the cop being fully clad in protective riot armor.

lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/BTCTN/status/1082315813711949824?s=19

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Is it illegal / a breach of procedure to identify someone suspected of committing a crime in France? Apparently the police officers' union, the SCPN, and the minister of the interior published a picture of the boxer in an official match. I guess they never used his name, but that seems as good as identifying him to me. Or do those rules just apply to the media?

Would be nice if he got off because the douche-bags were too vengeful.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 20:38 on Jan 7, 2019

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

This happened yesterday so it's more like $996 rn

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

extremely savvy of the artest to integrate :frogsiren:BITCOIN:frogsiren: in their ideological art to guarantee the media will talk about it when they wouldn't otherwise

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46788751

protesting declared illegal lmao

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly

That'll work.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it says theyre banning unsanctioned protests. what does a sanctioned protest look like i wonder?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
You stand in a designated area, usually facing some empty government building or symbol of state power, while speakers from participating groups recite some speeches. There is intermittant clapping, and sometimes some people take up a chant or two. You're surrounded by police, who generally have armored vans lined up and down the street to take anyone beliggerant away.

It's not very effective as a means of pressure, but it can help to build morale within the protesting group.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 00:14 on Jan 8, 2019

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Known troublemakers would be banned from taking part in demonstrations, in the same way known football hooligans have been banned from stadiums.
:shuckyes:

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I feel like yelling "stop it you're not allowed :mad: " might have a little more credibility before the first the first flaming car on a forklift crashed into a tollbooth, but less so now.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

lmbo yes this property damage is way too violent, we have no choice but to sacrifice more civil rights in the face of this brutal onslaught

it's weird to think the tabooing of violence is the tool of protofascists

BioMe has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Biomute posted:

You stand in a designated area, usually facing some empty government building or symbol of state power, while speakers from participating groups recite some speeches. There is intermittant clapping, and sometimes some people take up a chant or two. You're surrounded by police, who generally have armored vans lined up and down the street to take anyone beliggerant away.

It's not very effective as a means of pressure, but it can help to build morale within the protesting group.

Like the USA's Free Speech Zones from the Bush years