Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

He still thinks this is just a branding issue and that if he can just find the right lie he'll get his wall

Which makes sense, his entire loving life has just been him slapping his name onto cons.

I don't think it has as much to do with the connotations of "wall" as it does with somebody in the admin with half a neuron realizing it would be helpful to align the pet construction project with the promise to make America's steel industry relevant again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

wait what the f

eke out posted:

truman wasn't allowed to seize steel plants during an Actual War but i'm sure trump will be totally allowed to initiate a massive program of emergency eminent domain costing untold billions without any trouble

that son of a

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

He still thinks this is just a branding issue and that if he can just find the right lie he'll get his wall

Which makes sense, his entire loving life has just been him slapping his name onto cons.

The thing is, he's not "entirely" wrong on paper. The problem is that Trump doesn't want to wall because he hates immigrants (which he does, don't get me wrong), he wants the wall because he needs to give his supporters what they were promised.

Make no mistake, if he was policy-driven, there 100% would be some kind of compromise that severely, heavy-handedly and cruely cracks down on border enforcement, while being palatable enough on paper for the democrats to let pass in exchange for something as long as it's branded innocently enough.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

Good: Russia's soybean production is a rounding error off US output. China can't make up the US shortfall from Russia.

Bad: Brazil will just raze some more rain-forests and take up our slack.

It's laughable to even think that Russia could even match the United States' agricultural output, given it's a frozen hellhole for half the year.

But, yeah, Brazil will more than make up for the slack.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Come now, Trump seizing the steel industry would go great. It'd work flawlessly for the thirty seconds before Trump is assassinated.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Maybe Trump could nationalize the coal industry. Then he could run it into the ground, thus helping the US meet carbon emission goals.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fallom posted:

I don't think it has as much to do with the connotations of "wall" as it does with somebody in the admin with half a neuron realizing it would be helpful to align the pet construction project with the promise to make America's steel industry relevant again.

Nah, its just that they're pushing the lie that the Democrats supported the Wall and wanted a Wall until Trump started calling it The Wall so if they just don't call it The Wall then the Democrats have to support it, right? Its been a huge narrative from the right during all of this.

Its pure idiocy and lies but the thing about Trump and the right is that they're so loving stupid they keep believing their own lies. Its like the time Nunes wrote a nonsense memo and lied that there was damaging stuff in it and then they all insisted it so much that they forgot they were lying and released the memo only for there to be nothing in it.

So Trump just thinks he can really talk his way into this because (a) he's so smart and can do anything, (b) of course everyone actually agrees with them even if they don't realize it, and (c) everything Fox News says is true.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Nah, its just that they're pushing the lie that the Democrats supported the Wall and wanted a Wall until Trump started calling it The Wall so if they just don't call it The Wall then the Democrats have to support it, right? Its been a huge narrative from the right during all of this.

Its pure idiocy and lies but the thing about Trump and the right is that they're so loving stupid they keep believing their own lies. Its like the time Nunes wrote a nonsense memo and lied that there was damaging stuff in it and then they all insisted it so much that they forgot they were lying and released the memo only for there to be nothing in it.

So Trump just thinks he can really talk his way into this because (a) he's so smart and can do anything, (b) of course everyone actually agrees with them even if they don't realize it, and (c) everything Fox News says is true.

when he initially pivoted to STEEL WALL WITH SLATS!! i thought it was because it was somehow an exception to the restrictions on the DHS budget that stop them from using "border security" funding for a wall

but it's not that, he's just an idiot and got something new in his head that he'll keep saying over and over again

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not sure why FoxNews and the other Koch-funded blogosphere/Jordan Petersons of the world don't just manufacture complete lies and tell them the wall is already built. It's cheaper. Or better yet, tell them you need to raise taxes on the poor blacks to do it. Do they not realize they've created an alternative universe? Or are there actual limits to that universe that they know and that haven't been tested yet?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Themagicalgoat posted:

I'm not sure why FoxNews and the other Koch-funded blogosphere/Jordan Petersons of the world don't just manufacture complete lies and tell them the wall is already built. It's cheaper. Or better yet, tell them you need to raise taxes on the poor blacks to do it. Do they not realize they've created an alternative universe? Or are there actual limits to that universe that they know and that haven't been tested yet?

Ah, but if the wall is already built then they can't blame all their problems on brown people

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ah, but if the wall is already built then they can't blame all their problems on brown people

Just make up a new made up problem. Your overhead is a lot lower and you can still ALOT more money from rubes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CuddleCryptid posted:

You then start to blame it all on the brown people INSIDE the walls.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

KiteAuraan posted:

Please let me dream fellow archaeologist. Dream of a world where sites aren't constantly being looted.

Looted, sinking under the water while the people digging them aren't allowed to work, developed without any oversight... :smith:

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

eke out posted:

wait what the f

that son of a

You better tell goon lord Schiff that if he is going to steal your ideas then he needs to pay up

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/walterowensgrpa/status/1082015980698652672?s=19

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Themagicalgoat posted:

Technically I believe the Kochs oppose this. They like immigration. It lowers labor cost. And trade wars are really bad for business.

So yeah, I'd say that at its core its not as magical an alternate universe as it sometimes seems. There was something in 2017-18 that saw a direct blow to Fox News ratings because they were ignoring it completely and pretending it didn't exist but a lot of their viewers were noticing such a glaring glitch in the Matrix. I'm blanking on what it was. But for as thick as the blanket over Fox News and RWM consumers is sometimes there's still a lot of divided agendas and cognitive dissonance limits.

Which isn't to say that it isn't still really effective and dangerous, even to lots of people not watching.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

STAC Goat posted:

Technically I believe the Kochs oppose this. They like immigration. It lowers labor cost. And trade wars are really bad for business.

So yeah, I'd say that at its core its not as magical an alternate universe as it sometimes seems. There was something in 2017-18 that saw a direct blow to Fox News ratings because they were ignoring it completely and pretending it didn't exist but a lot of their viewers were noticing such a glaring glitch in the Matrix. I'm blanking on what it was. But for as thick as the blanket over Fox News and RWM consumers is sometimes there's still a lot of divided agendas and cognitive dissonance limits.

Which isn't to say that it isn't still really effective and dangerous, even to lots of people not watching.

I believe it was the Trump/Russia stuff right around the time Mueller was first appointed. Of course, that was 100,000 years ago so I forget the exact series of events leading up to it, but I remember there was a series of big revelations over the course of like a week that headlined every other news channel while Fox News was largely ignoring it.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

Themagicalgoat posted:

They already do this; I don’t even listen to President Pissbaby talk and I know his logorrhea is a mix of “we need Wall” and “Wall is already built but we need more money because reasons” alongside “demoncrats won’t let us start on Wall :saddowns:

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

Well luckily the right is united by their universal hatred towards everyone else, so those kinds of differences are ultimately unimportant. Roger Griffin wrote a whole paper about it.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0031322022000054321

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pakled posted:

I believe it was the Trump/Russia stuff right around the time Mueller was first appointed. Of course, that was 100,000 years ago so I forget the exact series of events leading up to it, but I remember there was a series of big revelations over the course of like a week that headlined every other news channel while Fox News was largely ignoring it.

Yeah, that sounds right but like it was a lifetime ago in 2017 and I can't remember poo poo like that anymore. I just remember that Fox News was in hardcore deny and ignore mode and it started to noticeably affect their ratings.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
How many of the people working without pay are in a union? Can the ones that are legally strike during a shutdown?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Themagicalgoat posted:

Because there are a very significant number of ultra-racists at Fox and in Alt right Twitter.

Fox and Friends could try to say the wall is built but Carlson would blow up the lie ASAP because he's a white nationalist first, Republican stooge second.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Lycus posted:

How many of the people working without pay are in a union? Can the ones that are legally strike during a shutdown?

I have this notion that forcing people to work indefinitely without pay and with the threat of legal punishment if they don't comply is, y'know, slavery :shrug:

but that hasn't caught on yet.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
All of these people could wildcat strike. That means they could theoretically be replaced, but if you're not paying the replacements either, who's showing up, right?

The moment enough people realize that, and the more people look at the West Virginia teachers' wildcat strike, this country becomes a lot more interesting.

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Shifty Pony posted:

Because there are a very significant number of ultra-racists at Fox and in Alt right Twitter.

Fox and Friends could try to say the wall is built but Carlson would blow up the lie ASAP because he's a white nationalist first, Republican stooge second.

Why don't they just swap him out with someone who will do what he's told? There's no one at FoxNews that isn't completely replaceable. The Jordan Petersons of the world are harder because they have their own internet shitholes. But even they can be bought.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Your Boy Fancy posted:

All of these people could wildcat strike. That means they could theoretically be replaced, but if you're not paying the replacements either, who's showing up, right?

The moment enough people realize that, and the more people look at the West Virginia teachers' wildcat strike, this country becomes a lot more interesting.

The point of scabs is that they'll gladly get ripped off. They'll come in knowing they'll get paid something eventually, and that will be good enough for them because they're scabs.

The real question is how new employees could be trained and even have their paperwork processed.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Your Boy Fancy posted:

consider who's in charge and what their response will be, they're going to do something really stupid like imprison strikers.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Themagicalgoat posted:

Why don't they just swap him out with someone who will do what he's told? There's no one at FoxNews that isn't completely replaceable. The Jordan Petersons of the world are harder because they have their own internet shitholes. But even they can be bought.

FOX needs the white nationalists to tune in.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Mineaiki posted:

The point of scabs is that they'll gladly get ripped off. They'll come in knowing they'll get paid something eventually, and that will be good enough for them because they're scabs.

The real question is how new employees could be trained and even have their paperwork processed.

Yeah but even scabs need to get paid in order to scab, and they definitely won't get paid right away. I can still see a bunch of chuds doing it thinking they would be rewarded handsomely (and then get screwed over by Trump)

Themagicalgoat
Oct 5, 2016

Ague Proof posted:

FOX needs the white nationalists to tune in.

White nationalists need fox way more than vice versa.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah but even scabs need to get paid in order to scab, and they definitely won't get paid right away. I can still see a bunch of chuds doing it thinking they would be rewarded handsomely (and then get screwed over by Trump)

This is true. I guess my point is that scabs are inherently stupid and self-defeating, and basically are the chuds you're talking about by nature. The boss will see I'm a hard worker if I just step over this here picket line.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lycus posted:

My aunt and uncle work for CBP on the Canadian border and my aunt is their union rep at their station. So there is a union presence, but I don't know what's been going on there.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mineaiki posted:

This is true. I guess my point is that scabs are inherently stupid and self-defeating, and basically are the chuds you're talking about by nature. The boss will see I'm a hard worker if I just step over this here picket line.

Chuds are also greedy, lazy and entitled creatures. They'll expect to be paid just for saying good things about Trump and if nothing comes up say that their boss is a race traitor - blaming the few essential staff the fed has.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Donald loving Trump.

Donald

loving

Trump.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Y'all were supposed to root for the Ravens :smith:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Crow Jane posted:

Y'all were supposed to root for the Ravens :smith:

says crow jane

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

So does the net go in front of the wall or behind the wall?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/jdawsey1/status/1082033459105878016

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

InsertPotPun posted:

Donald loving Trump.

Donald

loving

Trump.

Donald "Motherfucker" Trump.

Adbot