Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

nite_moogle posted:

It's really dumb but I'm so excited to see the Manufactorum and Sector Fronteris terrain kits. I don't even want to paint miniatures at this point, I just want to magnetize and paint loads of buildings.

Manufactorum kit looks neat for bridging the Sector Administratus and Mechanicus terrain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh. Uh... enjoy your skull.

I... may... be able to cut off the shoulder pad. There’s very few contact points between it and the underlying arm; mostly at the edges.

I’m not sure I want to try. Past a certain point one has to accept an imperfect result and move on.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 6, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

I... may... be able to cut off the shoulder pad. There’s very few contact points between it and the underlying arm; mostly at the edges.

I’m not sure I want to try. Past a certain point one has to accept an imperfect result and move on.

Honestly I would try. IMO that point is way after priming.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I would try. IMO that point is way after priming.

I guess I'll give it a shot, then.

I may also try to make a better skull helmet; cutting out the current one would be easy enough, and the nice thing about making a replacement helmet is I can learn whether I can pull it off without loving with the existing mini.

EDIT: Got it! And I managed to salvage both the bird skull and the purity seal, so I haven't lost any valuable bits, either.

Thank you for the encouragement.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 6, 2019

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Death guard are finally primed!

And f—k the bloat drone for falling off my water bottle and knocking one of the guns loose. It is completely fixable, but a little disheartening none the less.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Can I throw 20 pox walkers into 2 rhinos that then stay together or are they just not going in any vehicles?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

I guess I'll give it a shot, then.

I may also try to make a better skull helmet; cutting out the current one would be easy enough, and the nice thing about making a replacement helmet is I can learn whether I can pull it off without loving with the existing mini.

EDIT: Got it! And I managed to salvage both the bird skull and the purity seal, so I haven't lost any valuable bits, either.

Thank you for the encouragement.

What other helmet would you use?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Can I throw 20 pox walkers into 2 rhinos that then stay together or are they just not going in any vehicles?

You can put a minimum sized unit of 10 into one, but no, you can’t split a unit between two transports.

Just blob em up and walk them forward, shambling to victory/death. :zombie:

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Putting a pox Walker in a rhino is like putting a roll of bubble wrap in a padded box.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What other helmet would you use?

Gonna see if I can make one using the demo I linked to above. Just need to find a correctly-sized skull; the ones in the Citadel Skulls kit are a bit too small, I think. I need to practice with green stuff anyway, and if I gently caress it up I can just try again. (Anyone know where that chain he gets the skull from is from? Actually, if anybody has that kit, can anyone say whether those skulls are bigger than the ones from the Citadel Skulls kit or whether they're the same size and I'm just misjudging it?)

So here's what he looks like now with a better positioned, actually centered shoulder raven skull and an additional raven skull hanging off his belt next to his book (to cover up a rough spot from where I cut off the leg tube).

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 6, 2019

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly I like the Reiver helmet.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I like the Reiver helmet.

It works! Recessed into the back of the huge Aggressor gorget, it looks pretty good!

But I'd prefer the gaping, empty-eyed sockets of a proper skull to the sculpted lenses on display here. Chaplains ought to look spooky.

EDIT: Also I'm considering adding some molecular bonding studs to one of the greaves now, I guess, now that I can do that. Probably need smaller ones than the 0.050s I used on the Hellblasters.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 6, 2019

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Stephenls posted:

Gonna see if I can make one using the demo I linked to above. Just need to find a correctly-sized skull; the ones in the Citadel Skulls kit are a bit too small, I think. I need to practice with green stuff anyway, and if I gently caress it up I can just try again. (Anyone know where that chain he gets the skull from is from? Actually, if anybody has that kit, can anyone say whether those skulls are bigger than the ones from the Citadel Skulls kit or whether they're the same size and I'm just misjudging it?)

So here's what he looks like now with a better positioned, actually centered shoulder raven skull and an additional raven skull hanging off his belt next to his book (to cover up a rough spot from where I cut off the leg tube).

I think those shoulderpads are sitting a little low? The one on the gun arm specifically, it looks like it's floating off the underlying shoulder joint.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I think those shoulderpads are sitting a little low? The one on the gun arm specifically, it looks like it's floating off the underlying shoulder joint.

I played around a lot with shoulder pad placement and that was the best I could do without taking a knife and file to something somewhere. I've decided I kinda like the loose appearance.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

I played around a lot with shoulder pad placement and that was the best I could do without taking a knife and file to something somewhere. I've decided I kinda like the loose appearance.

You could add green stuff to raise them.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You could add green stuff to raise them.

I think I'm good. I think I don't want to cut off the shoulders again. But I appreciate the feedback.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stephenls posted:

I think I'm good. I think I don't want to cut off the shoulders again. But I appreciate the feedback.

You do you. It looks great.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

R0ckfish posted:

A CSM dude

Stick a Rubric marine head on him and maybe put the braziers on the Rubric bird head backpack and he'd make a dope Exalted Sorcerer.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Im sure it also looks fine on the tabletop. Every off detail is super obvious that close.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I primed my dudes off the bases but its probably easier to paint them if I set them on the base with some blue tack, right?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

I primed my dudes off the bases but its probably easier to paint them if I set them on the base with some blue tack, right?

Yep. I’m lazy and just do a tiny dab of glue and then snap them back off the base when painted to base them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ropes4u posted:

I glue them to bits of sprue. Works great.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I like the Raven skull on the chaplain but you would have to call him Cuthbert.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Ropes4u posted:

Definitely, also one thing about painting in sub assembly I didn't think about before starting is masking any points that will be glued in future with a little bit of tack so you don't need to file away paint when it comes time to assemble.

Speaking of, my first ever sub assembled And airbrushed model is almost done, a Sergeant from Conquest issue 1 for a Fists kill team. Just his eye lenses and a few odd details to go. I'm thinking blue for the lenses - strangely there is a lack of tutorials for blue lenses, lots for red/green, but I'm just gonna go with the standard 'basecolor, dark line, light line, white dot' approach.

[img] https://i.imgur.com/DRYCWw4.jpg[/img]

Pretty happy how he turned out and looking forward to making up at least a kill team worth of these guys, it's such a nice change after painting a gazillion grey and red 'nids!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

IPA Regulations posted:

Definitely, also one thing about painting in sub assembly I didn't think about before starting is masking any points that will be glued in future with a little bit of tack so you don't need to file away paint when it comes time to assemble.

I don't even bother doing that. Scraping away doesn't take much time. Usually I just glue the model to the sprue at the glue point.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I've got an opportunity to buy some secondhand Nids and I just want to check - are the Carnifex Scything Talons the same size as, or at least roughly comparable in size with, the ones from the Hive Tyrant kit?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I don't even bother doing that. Scraping away doesn't take much time. Usually I just glue the model to the sprue at the glue point.

I've found that almost every time I haven't bothered to do masking, later on I've wished I did. Blue-tac-ing the contact points beforehand is just easier than scraping paint off afterwards, even though it feels like an extra step.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey space bug fans, I've got a new box of Termagants here but there's only 3 of the Devourer/Spinefist sprues. Is that correct or am I missing a sprue?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I glue them to bits of sprue. Works great.

Same, or I drill a 1mm hole into their foot or such and stick that onto a straightened paperclip. Or drill wherever the hole is going to be concealed.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

DiHK posted:

Hey space bug fans, I've got a new box of Termagants here but there's only 3 of the Devourer/Spinefist sprues. Is that correct or am I missing a sprue?

There should be enough to arm all of the gants completely with any of the options, so you might be missing some.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Yeah i only have enough for 9

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It depends i guess, in the case of the Primaris marines head the contact point for the neck is recessed down into the collar (gorget I think is the proper term?) of his armour, so it's awkward to scrape and I sliced a bit of paint off the gorget rim unintentionally while trying cos I'm a clumsy tool.

Would have been handy not to have needed to scrape in that case. The backpack on the other hand was easier.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Not the best photo/lighting (but I've posted most of them individually before) but tonight I finally finished the additional 10 Warriors and 10 Immortals to fill out my 2k (2045) of Nihilakh Necrons. Got the FW model to tackle next.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

I've got an opportunity to buy some secondhand Nids and I just want to check - are the Carnifex Scything Talons the same size as, or at least roughly comparable in size with, the ones from the Hive Tyrant kit?

Back in the day of 4th Edition they pulled from the same Monstrous Weapons sprue; while the Hive Tyrant's talons are now mixed in with the rest of the model on the sprue, I can't imagine that the scale would have changed too much since the Carnifex/Monstrous Weapons sprues were some of the first to be designed with CAD. Probably just dragged the drat things onto the new plastic Tyrant sprue and called it a day.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

BirdieBedtime posted:

Back in the day of 4th Edition they pulled from the same Monstrous Weapons sprue; while the Hive Tyrant's talons are now mixed in with the rest of the model on the sprue, I can't imagine that the scale would have changed too much since the Carnifex/Monstrous Weapons sprues were some of the first to be designed with CAD. Probably just dragged the drat things onto the new plastic Tyrant sprue and called it a day.

I think they are identical as you say.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

richyp posted:

At least Orks got 4 models. Orktober supremacy.

You are referring to Orkvember sufficiency?

Conan the Librarian
Mar 1, 2006

I drink zee beer from zee glass but das boring, das boot? ew yeah das more like it keep pouring
I've recently acquired some of the newer Swooping Hawk models and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with reinforcing the figures?

I'm thinking of just drilling a 1/16" hole in the foot and then running a piece of steel wire through the base. I could maybe disguise the wire with some grass tufts or something similar.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Thank you everyone I will try a little of everything until I find something I like.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
This may be a long shot, but has anyone used the Pop Goes the Monkey Deathwatch shoulder pads? Curious to see how they compare to the official GW ones and I'm gonna need a boatload of them if I'm going to be converting Primaris stuff over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just a heads up for folks here - Worldsmith Industries are closing down and having a stock clearance with some big savings available - https://worldsmithindustries.com/

From experience it's good stuff (I backed the KS and won a bunch of the ruins through the Oath thread a few years back) and you'd be supporting fellow goon Germ, so go check it out!