Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Maybe its the emulator, but when orange looks closer to yellow and yellow looks more like green.. you have a problem, game.

(Or maybe I was colorblind this whole time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It's not the emulator. Fortunately they never put anything that's too close to the right answer next to it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

DeafNote posted:

This is the kind of thing where nobody necessarily has to have hosed up, because of different cultural ideas of color. A few older NES games had issues with translating green puzzle objects as "blue" because the distinction is a lot less clear in Japanese.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

The Dark Id posted:

Make is your malfunction, Earth element?!
Is this supposed to be "Make up your mind," or "What is/What's your malfunction"?

Should be "Seraphim".

DeafNote posted:

Maybe its the emulator, but when orange looks closer to yellow and yellow looks more like green.. you have a problem, game.

The "orange" is definitely yellowish, but more orange than the shade of yellow that they actually use for "yellow". It would probably be more obvious if they put the two on the same screen, but that would probably confuse people. I personally see more of a problem with what they consider to be "blue/indigo/violet". Yes, indigo is a more bluish shade of purple, but what they use is straight-up blue.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Watching the two intros to this game if you just let it stay still at the title screen, one of them involves fighting inside-out meat Jesus, and boy was reaching him for real an absolute delight.

The Dark Id posted:

But, this being a dungeon and all there naturally is a few things standing in our way.

It is worth mentioning that Diving Punishment would also inflict random status effects ranging from Paralysis to Petrification and outright Death... were everyone not already equipped with those ever useful Crucifix accessories.

1. Should be "are."

2. Should be "Divine."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordiceius posted:

OH gently caress. Shadow Hearts, aka one of my favorite games of all time?! I wish I knew there was an LP of this going on.

A real shame that they never made a Shadow Hearts 3. Shadow Hearts 1 & 2 hold a very special place in my heart. I bet a Shadow Hearts 3 would have been great.

Uh.... Have you not played From the New World?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Uh.... Have you not played From the New World?

It sure is a real shame that they never made a Shadow Hearts 3

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
A lot of people think it doesn't really "count" as Shadow Hearts 3 because it's mostly unconnected to the characters and plot of 1 and 2. I can see where they're coming from. FTNW is to Shadow Hearts like Shadow Hearts is to Koudelka.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Or Lunar Dragon Song to Silver Star and Eternal Blue

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Or Lufia: The Ruins of Lore to... well, anything else in the series.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
From the New World is actually a good game though and not horrible.

The writing is weaker, there is a bit more stock JRPG elements, and Johnny utterly pales in comparison to Koudelka and Yuri but its still very much a Shadow Hearts game, it just went harder into the alt-history zaniness instead of the cosmic horror.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I don't think anyone said it's horrible. Koudelka wasn't horrible either, but Shadow Hearts is as little of a direct sequel to that game as FOTN is to Covenant. Covenant, on the other hand, directly picks the plot from Shadow Hearts back up where the ending leaves off. The game would possibly have been better received if it had just not marketed itself as Shadow Hearts 3, because to people who expected another sequel to Yuri's story, that's just not what it really is.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Accordion Man posted:

The writing is weaker, there is a bit more stock JRPG elements, and Johnny utterly pales in comparison to Koudelka and Yuri but its still very much a Shadow Hearts game, it just went harder into the alt-history zaniness instead of the cosmic horror.
Okay, fine. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter compared to the rest of BoF. A decent/good game on its own merits, but nearly completely disconnected from the themes and plots of the rest of the series.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That seems like a very fair comparison. Dragon Quarter was a very good and unique game that a lot of people didn't like a whole lot because it's really nothing at all like what you'd expect out of the series after playing DQ3 and 4, except for some character callbacks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Shadow Hearts 2 walks a fine line between grim grittiness and goofiness. Meanwhile, Shadow Hearts 3 is basically all goofiness and that didn't work for me.

Like the "ring soul" side story in Shadow Hearts 2, but it is the main game and cranked to 11.

SH3 just, tonally, feels like as much of a Shadow Hearts game as something like Sunset Overdrive.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jan 6, 2019

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Or Lunar Dragon Song to Silver Star and Eternal Blue

Expect Dragon Song is hot flaming trash garbage in a dumpster fire.

Dev 1: 'hmmyes let's make our walking pace glacially slow'
Dev 2: 'That sounds absolutely awful, at least give the player a run button.'
Dev 1: 'ah yes that's a marvelous idea'
Dev 2: 'Ok, I'll get right on th-'
Dev 1: 'then we can make it so that running drains the player's hp, and mkae it so they can't run when they get below 1/3 of their hp! BRILLIANT!'
Dev 2: 'wat'

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wouldn't really call any part of Covenant grim or gritty. Dark, yes, at times. Goofy, also yes, at times. Grim, though, not as such - like the rest of the series it's fundamentally a very optimistic game, taking in a place in a world that is dangerous, but where you can also go punch the ghosts and demons in the face and win. "Gritty" really also implies something more earthy and street-level than the high fantasy that it really is.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Mordiceius posted:

Shadow Hearts 2 walks a fine line between grim grittiness and goofiness. Meanwhile, Shadow Hearts 3 is basically all goofiness and that didn't work for me.

Like the "ring soul" side story in Shadow Hearts 2, but it is the main game and cranked to 11.

SH3 just, tonally, feels like as much of a Shadow Hearts game as something like Sunset Overdrive.

Covenant was a gigantic pile of goofiness and it was a major turn-off, so its not like FTNW started that trend. Major story beats were frequently punctuated by pussy jokes, gay jokes, dog jokes, "Bite me" etc.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

DiggleWrath posted:

Dev 1: 'hmmyes let's make our walking pace glacially slow'
Dev 2: 'That sounds absolutely awful, at least give the player a run button.'
Dev 1: 'ah yes that's a marvelous idea'
Dev 2: 'Ok, I'll get right on th-'
Dev 1: 'then we can make it so that running drains the player's hp, and mkae it so they can't run when they get below 1/3 of their hp! BRILLIANT!'
Dev 2: 'wat'

I haven't played this game, but what the actual poo poo?! Is this an overexaggeration or genuinely how the mechanics work? Because I can't fathom anyone thinking this is a good idea, much less a game dev.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Covenant was a gigantic pile of goofiness and it was a major turn-off, so its not like FTNW started that trend. Major story beats were frequently punctuated by pussy jokes, gay jokes, dog jokes, "Bite me" etc.
Take the humor out of Shadow Hearts and you've just got unrelenting bleakness left, which isn't really all that great, either.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

placid saviour posted:

I haven't played this game, but what the actual poo poo?! Is this an overexaggeration or genuinely how the mechanics work? Because I can't fathom anyone thinking this is a good idea, much less a game dev.

https://lparchive.org/Lunar-Dragon-Song/

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

placid saviour posted:

It's not an exaggeration. And it's only the tip of the iceberg of that game's terrible design decisions.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

W.T. Fits posted:

It's not an exaggeration. And it's only the tip of the iceberg of that game's terrible design decisions.

Dragon song is a travesty in every single way a game can be.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Dragon song is a travesty in every single way a game can be.

let's not forget you get one character's ultimate weapon about five minutes before she's permanently out of the game with zero chance of actually using it and a game in the 2000s that won't let you select your target in battle!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Cardiovorax posted:

Take the humor out of Shadow Hearts and you've just got unrelenting bleakness left, which isn't really all that great, either.

Yeah. A big part of the appeal of the series is having protagonists that deal with horrible supernatural abominations by mostly laughing them off and making snarky comments. One of our major villains introduced himself in the form of an adorable puppy.

Without the sense that the game isn’t taking itself all that seriously, this world would be so depressing that it’d be impossible to believe that it is even worth trying to save. Too much bleakness is a quick way to lose an audience.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

No kidding. Some genuinely horrible poo poo happens in these games. Without the humor, I think I would've checked out around Orphan Stew Central at the latest. Probably earlier.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

placid saviour posted:

I believe the HP drain is a fixed rate so it gets less relevant the farther in the game you are, but otherwise it is completely correct and far from the only terrible decision in the game.

For example, you have to choose between two battle modes, one of which gets you item drops, the other of which gets you XP. You can pick whichever one you want more or less whenever, but you can't get both from the same battle.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Doesn't help the new shapeshifter character and Yuri's replacement is probably the most boring heroine I've seen in a JRPG.

And the bar is low.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

BioMe posted:

Doesn't help the new shapeshifter character and Yuri's replacement is probably the most boring heroine I've seen in a JRPG.

And the bar is low.
What really sucks is that she's the only female Native American video game protagonist I can think of, even if she's from a fictitious tribe.

*Edit* Wait, there is the little Inuit girl from Never Alone, but that's pretty much it.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 6, 2019

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I can forgive a lot of the issues in FTNW because the changes to the combat system they made from Covenant's already very good combat system are incredible.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

dude789 posted:

I can forgive a lot of the issues in FTNW because the changes to the combat system they made from Covenant's already very good combat system are incredible.

Agreed. FTNW's battle system is one of the best out there for the genre.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Never played Dragon Song here either, but on bad game mechanics, I heard that the way you ran from battles involves you breathing on the bottom of the DS. Yup, can only imagine how much fun people had there.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Agreed. FTNW's battle system is one of the best out there for the genre.

I have a friend who will go on at length about how awful the Stock system is and how it devolves almost entirely into using your stock to make sure the enemy never gets to use theirs, and how most of the characters feel like B-List versions of the Covenant party. Also that A certain characters Curvy mode is so busted it invalidates half the cast.

Nimsant
May 7, 2015
In Russian, the rainbow colors are red - orange - yellow - green - light blue - blue - purple.

Same in Japanese. In Japanese, the light blue is called "water blue".
They seem to have an American version of the rainbow too, but not too popular.

No excuse for the orange color however.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Per Wikipedia, there's some speculation that Newton used the words "blue" and "indigo" to refer to what we would call "cyan" and "blue" today.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Roy G. Cbv

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Shitenshi posted:

Never played Dragon Song here either, but on bad game mechanics, I heard that the way you ran from battles involves you breathing on the bottom of the DS. Yup, can only imagine how much fun people had there.

Oh god you have no idea. They had to shoehorn in a LOT of stuff just because the DS was new at the time. It's easily one of the worst RPGs out there IMO.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Sgt Thud posted:

I have a friend who will go on at length about how awful the Stock system is and how it devolves almost entirely into using your stock to make sure the enemy never gets to use theirs, and how most of the characters feel like B-List versions of the Covenant party. Also that A certain characters Curvy mode is so busted it invalidates half the cast.

The first part is... the entire point of the battle system. lol I still got my poo poo kicked in by more than a few bosses in the game, though.

That character is a bit broken, but I honestly never used them. The gimmick was at least more manageable than the equivalent character in Covenant.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kemix posted:

Oh god you have no idea. They had to shoehorn in a LOT of stuff just because the DS was new at the time. It's easily one of the worst RPGs out there IMO.

All of Dragon Song's bad decisions can be explained by the team being massively rushed to be the first RPG on the DS, regardless of quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Accordion Man posted:

What really sucks is that she's the only female Native American video game protagonist I can think of, even if she's from a fictitious tribe.

*Edit* Wait, there is the little Inuit girl from Never Alone, but that's pretty much it.
There's a female Native American protagonist in Tengai Makyo 4, as well. Tomato LP'd it for Legends of Localization. It's a video LP of a Saturn JRPG, so not for everyone, but the game's such a wild ride that it sort of carries itself.