Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
What happens when you forget to remove the forklift before putting the roof on

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOptbvAFu-/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

OrthoTrot posted:

I recently had an incredibly qualified and competent colleague who has just got a job as a driver. They are a young, attractive, woman. And they're incredibly outgoing and, basically, flirty. That's just how she is. It's how she wants to be.

If she's flirty, every guy is going to try and gently caress her. Even if she was not flirty that would still happen, but if she is, then everyone is going to try extra hard, because they're think she's in to them.

Its not her fault guys are fuckin idiots.

I work in a male dominated industry, and there was a girl working at my company. She took a lot of poo poo from guys, and also was hit on constantly.

On the other hand, she used being a girl to her advantage from time to time.
We'd be on a construction site, or at some factory or whatever, and we'd say, need a skid of (whatever the gently caress) moved. I'd go up to joe forklift driver and be all "hey man, I gotta do some work over there by that skid of (whatever the gently caress) if you got a minute can you move it a bit for me? Thanks bud"

Most of the time it'd be "gently caress you pal, I ain't moving poo poo".

So I'd say "alright (girl's name) get 'im".

She'd walk over to the guy and be all "hey there, (giggles) do you think you could move that woody thing thats got all that (whatever the gently caress) on it, (sticks her chest out a bit) we've got to do some work over there and its sort of (flirty eyes at the guy) in the way".

Well hoooolllleeeee gently caress, theose guys couldn't move that poo poo fast enough. It was all "sure thing there little lady, I'll move that for you right now, don't you worry about a thing".
They'd end up asking for her number, and she'd give them a fake one, or get their number and promptly lose it.
She could get these guys to move poo poo, and then they'd level out a spot, or clean it up or whatever.

It was great, and then we'd make fun of the guy afterwards...

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Enkmar posted:

What happens when you forget to remove the forklift before putting the roof on

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsOptbvAFu-/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

(Sorry if this is a repost.)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Kibayasu posted:

less impact than an errant shopping cart would have,

Uh, depends. How much stuff is in this shopping cart and how fast is it going?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

azurite posted:

Uh, depends. How much stuff is in this shopping cart and how fast is it going?

assume its a frictionless vacuum and its full of 30kg turds at 120 km/h

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Former DILF posted:

assume its a frictionless vacuum and its full of 30kg turds at 120 km/h

Elon Musk's new project sounds weirder than usual.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

Wow, what a steal!

Gotta wait for the inevitable steam sale dude!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not just talked about, actually did :stonklol: It was that, or some other mercury compound (possibly dimethylmercury?). If that sounds familiar, it’s the same compound that killed someone after they spilled it on their gloves hand. This was how we found out that those common safety gloves let the dimethylmercury through, completely unimpeded. Poor Dr Wetterhahn...:(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

I don't think they ever actually did it.

Charles Stross did write an excellent little story about it though:
https://www.tor.com/2012/07/20/a-tall-tail/

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Samopsa posted:

yeah that seems fake, look at the frames where the barrel 'expands', I don't think a steel barrel would act that way

I've done it enough times in real life that I can say that if it was fake they made a very convincing fake. Barrels and cylinders love doing that if you over-pressurize them.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Kibayasu posted:

the front of the car where the barrel lands getting absolutely crumpled by what appears to be a less impact than an errant shopping cart would have

Where are you seeing this? The car looks the same before and after the barrel nudges it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not just talked about, actually did :stonklol: It was that, or some other mercury compound (possibly dimethylmercury?). If that sounds familiar, it’s the same compound that killed someone after they spilled it on their gloves hand. This was how we found out that those common safety gloves let the dimethylmercury through, completely unimpeded. Poor Dr Wetterhahn...:(

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

Pages 177–179 of Ignition!:

quote:

All sorts of efforts were being made, during the late 50's, to increase propellant densities, and I was responsible (not purposely, but from being taken seriously when I didn't expect to be) for one of the strangest. Phil Pomerantz, of BuWeps, wanted me to try dimethyl mercury, Hg(CH3)2, as a fuel. I suggested that it might be somewhat toxic and a bit dangerous to synthesize and handle, but he assured me that it was (a) very easy to put together, and (b) as harmless as mother's milk. I was dubious, but told him that I'd see what I could do.

I looked the stuff up, and discovered that, indeed, the synthesis was easy, but that it was extremely toxic, and a long way from harmless. As I had suffered from mercury poisoning on two previous occasions and didn't care to take a chance on doing it again, I thought that it would be an excellent idea to have somebody else make the compound for me. So I phoned Rochester, and asked my contact man at Eastman Kodak if they would make a hundred pounds of dimethyl mercury and ship it to NARTS.

I heard a horrified gasp, and then a tightly controlled voice (I could hear the grinding of teeth beneath the words) informed me that if they were silly enough to synthesize that much dimethyl mercury, they would, in the process fog every square inch of photographic film in Rochester, and that, thank you just the same, Eastman was not interested. The receiver came down with a crash, and I sat back to consider the matter. An agonizing reappraisal seemed to be indicated.

Phil wanted density. Well, dimethyl mercury was dense, all right— d = 3.07 —but it would be burned with RFNA, and at a reasonable mixture ratio the total propellant density would be about 2.1 or 2.2. (The density of the acid-UDMH system is about 1.2.) That didn't seem too impressive, and I decided to apply the reducto ad absurdum method. Why not use the densest known substance which is liquid at room temperature — mercury itself? Just squirt it into the chamber of a motor burning, say, acid-UDMH. It would evaporate into a mon- atomic gas (with a low Cp, which would help performance), and would go out the nozzle with the combustion products. That technique should give Phil all the density he wanted! Charmed by the delightful nuttiness of the idea, I reached for the calculator.
[…]
The result was spectacular. With 𝜑 = 0.1, and 27.5 percent of the tank volume filled with mercury instead of propellant, the bulk density was 4.9 and the boost velocity was about 31 percent above that of the neat propellant; at 𝜑 = 0.2 there was a 20 percent increase with 21 volume percent of mercury. At 𝜑 = 1.0, on the other hand, the best you could get was a 2 percent increase in boost velocity with 5 volume percent of mercury. Obviously, a missile with a low 𝜑, such as an air-to-air job, was where this system belonged—if anywhere.

I solemnly and formally wrote the whole thing up, complete with graphs, labeled it —dead pan —the "Ultra High Density Propellant Concept," and sent it off to the Bureau. I expected to see it bounce back in a week, with a "Who do you think you're kidding?" letter attached. It didn't.

Phil bought it.

He directed us, forthwith, to verify the calculations experimentally, and NARTS, horrified, was stuck with the job of firing a mercury- spewing motor in the middle of Morris County, New Jersey.

Firing the motor wouldn't be any problem; the problem lay in the fact that all of the mercury vapor in the atmosphere would not be good for the health of the (presumably) innocent inhabitants of the county —nor for our own. So a scrubber had to be built, a long pipe- like affair down which the motor would be fired, and fitted with water sprays, filters, and assorted devices to condense and collect the mer- cury in the exhaust before it could get out into the atmosphere. We had it built and were about ready to go, when the Navy decided to shut down —"disestablish" —NARTS, and ordered us to ship the whole mercury setup to NOTS. With a sigh of relief, we complied, and handed them the wet baby. Saved by the bell!

At NOTS, Dean Couch and D. G. Nyberg took over the job, and by March 1960 had completed their experiments. They used a 250- pound thrust RFNA-UDMH motor, and injected mercury through a tap in the chamber wall. And the thing did work. They used up to 31 volume percent of mercury in their runs, and found that at 20 percent they got a 40 percent increase in density impulse. (I had calculated 43.) As they were firing in the middle of the desert, they didn't bother with the scrubber. And they didn't poison a single rattlesnake. Technically, the system was a complete success. Practically—that was something else again.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Oh Jesus they actually did it :gonk:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Remember that this thread has taught us the 1950s was also a time when "a screwdriver" was an acceptable answer as to what to balance the certain death reflector over the plutonium ball with.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Flannelette posted:

Remember that this thread has taught us the 1950s was also a time when "a screwdriver" was an acceptable answer as to what to balance the certain death reflector over the plutonium ball with.

That was 1946.

They stopped doing it after that.

Today you can try it in VR (with sound):

https://twitter.com/mizzmayo/status/1073494613258731520

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Platystemon posted:

If you like Ignition, you might also like Max Gergel's memoir, Excuse Me Sir, Would You Like to Buy a Kilo of Isopropyl Bromide?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Flannelette posted:

PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread strikes again.

Queen Combat posted:

Uhh, I am not good at computer, but here it is:

https://www.redbubble.com/people/queen-combat/works/35932371-i-love-science-demon-core

I set the markup to the minimum (1%) because this isn't mine. Redbubble is trash but the shirt is available. I have no idea how their clothes are.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mr. Apollo posted:

His consistency in overfilling each container is admirable.

Jesus, I just realized he appears to be grinding volcanic glass without a respirator. :stonk:

Followed up by being completely incompetent at anything to do with glassworking, and trying to cast a 'blade' without a tang. What a shitshow.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 6, 2019

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1081588480415752192

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Don't mind that brick, it's just there to keep the portal to hell closed.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That twitter account has a lot of gems.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sweet, the basement wall from Amityville Horror

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Carbon dioxide posted:

That twitter account has a lot of gems.

No kidding.

https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1076910811988221952

I'm just imagining a single pigeon landing on the far corner and the entire thing snapping off the building.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Wingnut Ninja posted:

No kidding.

https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1076910811988221952

I'm just imagining a single pigeon landing on the far corner and the entire thing snapping off the building.

Rent: $3,200/mo

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1049073430295789568

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
https://twitter.com/CursedArchitect/status/1069010756954247168
:same: :smithicide:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I hate that picture. Every time I see it, it’s like a punch in the gut.

Hell brick was good, though.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

So Math posted:

(Sorry if this is a repost.)

Sup I'm here

Check out my "opening a beer can with a forklift" vid

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

New job, new horrors

Beats working with cyanide gas though :shrug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Platystemon posted:

The idea of liquid fueled air-to-air missiles is vaguely unsettling to me.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Vaguely related, one of my favorite OSHA-batshit rocketry ideas was Shuttle-Centaur, which proposed a fueled hydrogen-oxygen upper stage rocket carried in the Shuttle’s payload bay, and was so heavy the orbiter would only be able to reach the lowest possible orbit. The purpose was the deployment of payloads/satellites to orbits the Shuttle can’t reach, the same as an upper stage on traditional rockets.

In case of any of the main engines failing during ascent, you’d be boned; if you had to make an emergency landing, the landing gear couldn’t handle the extra weight; and there was no way to dump the fuel in flight. Some astronauts even declared that they would refuse to fly with it.

It competed with the Inertial Upper Stage (IUS), which was a much lighter, safer, and simpler solid-fueled upper stage, but had a few disadvantages (high acceleration; can’t be shut down once ignited, much less powerful.) The IUS was used for several successful missions.

In the end, the Challenger disaster, only a few months before the first scheduled Shuttle-Centaur flight, forced safety reviews that killed the program. Probably a good thing...

Luneshot fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 7, 2019

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK that post just got me thinking: have there been two shuttle explosions during my life-time or am I just Berenstaining really hard here?

e: Oh thank god Challenger and Columbia. Thought I was losing it there for a moment.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

New job, new horrors

Beats working with cyanide gas though :shrug:

What

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Considering we're putting a patio chair on a however many hundred foot stack of waiting explosion it's a loving miracle more people haven't taken the Express Flight To Their Creator.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

wesleywillis posted:

If she's flirty, every guy is going to try and gently caress her. Even if she was not flirty that would still happen, but if she is, then everyone is going to try extra hard, because they're think she's in to them.

Its not her fault guys are fuckin idiots.

I work in a male dominated industry, and there was a girl working at my company. She took a lot of poo poo from guys, and also was hit on constantly.

On the other hand, she used being a girl to her advantage from time to time.
We'd be on a construction site, or at some factory or whatever, and we'd say, need a skid of (whatever the gently caress) moved. I'd go up to joe forklift driver and be all "hey man, I gotta do some work over there by that skid of (whatever the gently caress) if you got a minute can you move it a bit for me? Thanks bud"

Most of the time it'd be "gently caress you pal, I ain't moving poo poo".

So I'd say "alright (girl's name) get 'im".

She'd walk over to the guy and be all "hey there, (giggles) do you think you could move that woody thing thats got all that (whatever the gently caress) on it, (sticks her chest out a bit) we've got to do some work over there and its sort of (flirty eyes at the guy) in the way".

Well hoooolllleeeee gently caress, theose guys couldn't move that poo poo fast enough. It was all "sure thing there little lady, I'll move that for you right now, don't you worry about a thing".
They'd end up asking for her number, and she'd give them a fake one, or get their number and promptly lose it.
She could get these guys to move poo poo, and then they'd level out a spot, or clean it up or whatever.

It was great, and then we'd make fun of the guy afterwards...

I once had a job that took me to a mine site every few months. One of my coworkers, an extra-busty lady, used exactly this technique to get things like unscheduled extra trips up and down the access shaft, mine cart rides instead of walking out to the job site, or getting a necessary form to the top of a paperwork stack. I was never out there with her, but from all accounts it worked incredibly well. The mining guys were always asking when she was going to be coming back, and she would happily describe how she'd sometimes take an extra trip out there to cut through some bureaucratic bullshit with a bit of boob bounce.

I never was up to try it myself, a combination of not being personally inclined and definitely not as physically blessed. But given the general demographics of a mining worksite plus a local economy saturated with oil-fracking money, I did encounter my share of thirsty dudes. Always polite, thank god, so it was all good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK that post just got me thinking: have there been two shuttle explosions during my life-time or am I just Berenstaining really hard here?

e: Oh thank god Challenger and Columbia. Thought I was losing it there for a moment.

This has been linked before and is an excellent article about the institutional momentum that contributed to the deaths of the seven astronauts on Columbia

Columbia's Last Flight

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

Yes, there were two. Glazing over a lot of details:

Challenger, 1986: was the infamous o-rings in the solid rocket boosters; cold weather prevented them from expanding enough to seal leaks, which they weren’t designed to do anyway. Hot exhaust gases burned through some joints and destroyed the booster, and the sudden asymmetric thrust and resulting aerodynamic forces tore the Shuttle stack apart during ascent.

Columbia, 2003: Thermal foam used for insulating the external fuel tank (the big orange thing) was shed during ascent. These shedding events were common enough to not be considered a danger by management. A large chunk of foam punched a hole in the left wing of Columbia. During reentry at the end of the mission, hot plasma entered the wing, destroyed internal systems and hydraulics, and ultimately led to a loss of control and disintegration of the spacecraft.

Both of these accidents were entirely avoidable, and fourteen people paid for management’s failures with their lives.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Luneshot posted:

Yes, there were two. Glazing over a lot of details:

Challenger, 1986: was the infamous o-rings in the solid rocket boosters; cold weather prevented them from expanding enough to seal leaks, which they weren’t designed to do anyway. Hot exhaust gases burned through some joints and destroyed the booster, and the sudden asymmetric thrust and resulting aerodynamic forces tore the Shuttle stack apart during ascent.

Columbia, 2003: Thermal foam used for insulating the external fuel tank (the big orange thing) was shed during ascent. These shedding events were common enough to not be considered a danger by management. A large chunk of foam punched a hole in the left wing of Columbia. During reentry at the end of the mission, hot plasma entered the wing, destroyed internal systems and hydraulics, and ultimately led to a loss of control and disintegration of the spacecraft.

Both of these accidents were entirely avoidable, and fourteen people paid for management’s failures with their lives.

Management got a bonus for saving some money though so it's hard to say if it was right or wrong.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jobson groeth posted:

Management got a bonus for saving some money though so it's hard to say if it was right or wrong.

im not sure if nasa management get bonuses for saving money.

with the columbia disaster i think the best way of describing it is 'institutional complacency'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

“Normalization of deviance”: this isn’t quite right, but it hasn’t killed anybody yet so its fine!