Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sunswipe posted:

Just a thought, but maybe she doesn't want to go hiking.

I personally don't believe in encouraging people to expect you to read their minds. Pick up on cues and maybe take your shoes off unless/until she says otherwise, sure, but I hate when people are too scared to say no so just waffle until it's either impossible to go or for you to get frustrated and say forget it. Just say no if you don't want to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Sunswipe posted:

Just a thought, but maybe she doesn't want to go hiking.

I considered this, but dismissed it on account of this being her idea in the first place.

You were right, though, she didn't want to go and didn't want to admit that she changed her mind.

Still love her, despite all.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Riatsala posted:

I considered this, but dismissed it on account of this being her idea in the first place.

You were right, though, she didn't want to go and didn't want to admit that she changed her mind.

Still love her, despite all.

Tell her to just loving say “im not feeling it today”

But in sweeter words ofc

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Good communication is the key to a healthy relationship. A quick "Hey Dingus, you said we were going hiking, get your tits in gear or I'm going without you" is the remedy this situation needs.

I mean it would be for me but :shrug:

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tell her to just loving say “im not feeling it today”

But in sweeter words ofc

or not- if your relationship is good, y'all should be able to just say "hey I'm not feeling it" or "sorry but I'm not into X activity" and be fine. I have hobbies my fiance isn't into, and he has hobbies I'm not into, and sometimes neither of us wants to do jack poo poo. It's okay to not do everything together constantly.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Now THAT is the Oz that I am conditioned to squint sideways at

(Also worked at an ASIAN eatery in :911: for two years and no one was sneakily evading the taxes an Honest Business would pay, maybe Australia is different buttttttttt)
No, of course not ALL ASIANS :rolleyes: As someone who spends too much money eating fast food (working on that (NEW YEAR NEW ME)), the vast majority of times I've seen cash only has been asian places.

I guess the tax office is racist because they have specifically targeted suburbs that have high proportions of asian immigrants
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/revealed-australian-suburbs-where-cash-only-businesses-are-being-targeted-by-ato

quote:

The ATO has made nearly 159 trips to Sydney's Chinatown in Haymarket and has uncovered more than $18 million in misreported transactions.

But it is just one, of about a dozen areas across the country, which have been targeted - many with a high migrant population - to make sure cash-only businesses are compliant with the law.
In fact, it's common enough (in small businesses) that the ATO is commissioning studies just to show businesses that they should consider allowing electronic payment: https://www.ato.gov.au/Media-centre/Media-releases/Australians-tapped-out-when-it-comes-to-cash-only-businesses/

quote:

• ‘Inconvenient’ was one of the top words Australians use to describe businesses operating on a cash-only basis
  • When asked about their reactions to seeing a cash-only sign, nearly 50% of consumers said it was ‘inconvenient’
  • Nearly two thirds of respondents believe business owners that use cash transactions pay less tax than they should and have an unfair advantage over small businesses that do pay tax on all their earnings (editor's note: that's me)
  • For businesses that operate on a cash-only basis:
    - 42% have never investigated electronic payment systems before
    - around 10% have looked into electronic payment systems within the past year
    -1 in 5 cited 'cost' as the reason they haven't introduced electronic payments
    -63% said they prefer to deal in cash (more than half of Australians prefer to pay electronically for most transactions)
My pet peeve is the fuckin cash only businesses. I'm not spending $2 at the ATM to pull out $20 just so i can buy lunch. Especially when there's a Subway next door.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

The ATO has made nearly 159 trips to Sydney's Chinatown in Haymarket
Probably to grab lunch too, one of their main Sydney offices is 5 minutes walk away.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Clothing sizes. Not only does every manufacturer and retailer have their own stupid standards that mean nothing, but they never seem to stay the same for long enough to get used to them either. You'd think that if you'd bought shirts from a particular shop last year you'd be able to just look at the size on them and buy more of the same, but nope, they've got a completely different system now and none of the old sizes match. Why do they even bother having the option to buy online? Are people just guessing and then returning stuff that doesn't fit? That seems like more hassle than actually going in to the shop to begin with.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Clothing sizes. Not only does every manufacturer and retailer have their own stupid standards that mean nothing, but they never seem to stay the same for long enough to get used to them either. You'd think that if you'd bought shirts from a particular shop last year you'd be able to just look at the size on them and buy more of the same, but nope, they've got a completely different system now and none of the old sizes match. Why do they even bother having the option to buy online? Are people just guessing and then returning stuff that doesn't fit? That seems like more hassle than actually going in to the shop to begin with.

oh my god, this. If I buy a loving 14, it should be a 14! it shouldn't be a 12, or an 18, or whatever the gently caress, it should be the same loving size as every other pair of size 14 pants!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It even happens on clothes that have sizes specified in inches. Buy some 32" pants, like them a lot, order another pair from the same company, receive pants that are a totally different size.

Belts are the worst. I have belts sized from 29" all the way up to 44" that are all the same length.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Jan 6, 2019

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’m a short guy and buying from a store is never an issue but buying something online or at a concert is a nightmare because the mediums are often huge and the smalls often have tiny, tight sleeves because they’re really the unofficial women’s shirt. But that’s what I get for being an adult who still wears band tees.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Iron Crowned posted:

Podcasts that spend 20+ minutes of each episode going over listener emails.

Yeah, mailbags can be great, but not as a large chunk of every episode, limit them to one 40 minute episode per month of only the best emails. Instead you get 20 extra minutes of low effort chaff every week that is for an audience of exactly the same people who sent in an email.

I understand how it happens, when you're starting off, you get a couple actually useful emails and want to share them. As the popularity builds, the wheat dwindles, and then you get a 30 minute sessions of "Please wish my friend happy birthday in your overused joke voice!" or "Please go on tour to Bumblefuck, Turkmenistan."

It also seems to contribute to the hosts shoving their heads even farther up their rear end every week. It really does make some podcasts boarder on unlistenable.

On this note, I hate in-front-of-an-audience episodes of podcasts. It feels like about 50% of the episode becomes generic "host makes comment to elicit audience participation, audience cheers for a few seconds, host says "Whoa, calm down guys, haha, you're crazy here in *city*!" audience hears city name and cheers for a few more seconds".

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

El Cid posted:

On this note, I hate in-front-of-an-audience episodes of podcasts. It feels like about 50% of the episode becomes generic "host makes comment to elicit audience participation, audience cheers for a few seconds, host says "Whoa, calm down guys, haha, you're crazy here in *city*!" audience hears city name and cheers for a few more seconds".

Same. Also when some drunk rear end in a top hat starts shouting at the hosts.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I feel very out of touch for just not "getting" the concept of a podcast. Like I listen to talk/morning radio all the time, but I would never listen to a recording of a day that I missed. I don't like when things like that are episodic instead of just talking about mostly things only relevant to that day.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's people talking about things. You listen to it at work, during long drives, or when you're doing things around the house. There's podcasts about anything and everything you ever wanted to hear about.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

It's people talking about things. You listen to it at work, during long drives, or when you're doing things around the house. There's podcasts about anything and everything you ever wanted to hear about.

If it was live, I would listen to it. I don't know why there's that distinction in my mind, but there is. I like things where i can tune in whenever I want and it's just on and it doesn't matter if i didn't hear the past half hour or listen to last week's show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can listen to it whenever you want. Most podcasts don't require you to pour through their back catalog.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Podcasts are a good idea but 95% of them seem to be some mushmouth with That Voice who can't go four words without Uhhhh'ing and then they all do That Laugh.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Perennial Peeve- youtube “oh you just finished ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning Audiobook’? Perhaps you would like ‘7 Reasons Ben Shapiro Dominates Debates’”

No, no I really wouldn’t

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That video title doesn't have nearly ENOUGH random CAPITALIZATION for it to be a REAL ben shapiro video.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

El Cid posted:

Ugh, yeah, there are a couple in my feed that minimize the audience garbage, but otherwise when I see "live from the Chapel Hill Mall" I'll just delete it. The other problem I have with live episodes is they're usually recorded very poorly, like it was just someone in the back with an old Realistic tape recorder. I feel like a lot of these places probably at least use a soundboard, but the board operator is either incompetent, or these podcasters have forgotten how to use a microphone.

Disgusting Coward posted:

Podcasts are a good idea but 95% of them seem to be some mushmouth with That Voice who can't go four words without Uhhhh'ing and then they all do That Laugh.

What I hate worse is when the whole thing just sounds like poo poo. It's not hard to get a half-decent microphone, yet there are so many podcasts that sound like they're recorded underwater. I have dropped quite a few that I liked because they just sounded terrible.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I tend to favor fiction/sketch comedy/improv podcasts to interviews/people rambling on about whatever, but that's also what I tend to prefer in other media, so no surprise there. (Exception: The Worst Idea Of All Time because mapping the descent of two New Zealand comedians into self-inflicted madness is kind of fascinating.)

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The Perennial Peeve- youtube “oh you just finished ‘A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning Audiobook’? Perhaps you would like ‘7 Reasons Ben Shapiro Dominates Debates’”

No, no I really wouldn’t

God, yes. This is rapidly overtaking my other Youtube peeve, wherein guides and reference materials increasingly only exist in convenient three-hour video form.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who mention Donald Trump in everyday conversations. Even if I agree with you or whatever it doesn't matter, just as a part of small talk it's extremely grating to hear the same boring poo poo about him over and over. I don't like him either. Let's just not talk about it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like a few podcasts, but I remember one (about pulp fiction - the genre, not the movie) which I'm pretty sure was a guy reading from the Wikipedia page. Now that's an interesting topic for a podcast to explore. But it's a shame if that was the best I could find!

There was another one I tried about noir detectives which was really hard to listen to because the producer had looped the same audio sample of "1920s hillbilly fiddle-playing" (that's what it sounded like anyway) over the top of the entire thing and it was mixed louder than his voice.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

There's a promo for a true-crime-adjacent podcast wherein the voiceover person says "acrosst," and it makes me say "UGH" out loud every drat time.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hirayuki posted:

There's a promo for a true-crime-adjacent podcast wherein the voiceover person says "acrosst," and it makes me say "UGH" out loud every drat time.

"I was over at yer guyses place last week" GAH! I know loads of podcasters are far from professional broadcasters, but I can only handle so much lazy language.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I am sick to death of Paul Scheer. My wife listens to How Did This Get Made and Unspooled and I have to leave the room when she's playing those podcasts. Between him and *zany crazy wild* Mantzoukas it's infuriating.

Edit: this isn't the peeves thread but Scheer is my pet peeve.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Antioch posted:

Edit: this isn't the peeves thread

...it isn't?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Is it?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What’s up with the title btw did I miss something?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What’s up with the title btw did I miss something?

some fyad guy got mod powers in here somehow like a week ago and changed all the titles and the real mods kept some of the changes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, no I really wouldn’t

All Alt Right people are just proto-Olafs anyway.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Antioch posted:

I am sick to death of Paul Scheer. My wife listens to How Did This Get Made and Unspooled and I have to leave the room when she's playing those podcasts. Between him and *zany crazy wild* Mantzoukas it's infuriating.

Edit: this isn't the peeves thread but Scheer is my pet peeve.

Paul Scheer played Andre on The League, right? because rightly or wrongly I’ve always assumed that’s probably not all that far off from what he’s actually like.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s pretty chill. A little Andre-esq, but not much. I like him and his podcasts. Although HDTGM can get way too nit picky to a point of them not understanding film in anyway shape or form so that kinda sucks.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
It’s news to me that he even does podcasts. I love The League, but that’s actually my only point of reference for most of the people involved.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Most of the people in The League have had pretty successful careers in comedy/improv. Guys like Zouks or Sheer have carved out a nice little niche in the podcast world and are finally starting to reemerge in acting roles. I thought Mantzoukas was great in the latest season of No Activity (which overall is just awesome), Sheer pops up here and there but not as much since NT:SD:SUV ended, and Kroll has been all over the place for a long while now so no idea how you could have missed him.

That said, I also cannot stand How Did This Get Made. They are just so wrong about everything all the time from plot points to character names that it's like they didn't even bother watching whatever movie each episode is about. I think they're pretty good at being funny with each other but everything to do with the actual movies is grating as hell. Or at least it was in the 2 or 3 episodes I tried.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It depends on the movie. It has to be seriously inept for their schtick to work. Otherwise it sucks. I dunno they’re nice to listen to at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

All Alt Right people are just proto-Olafs anyway.

Olaf was more well-read