Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ours is pretty old but the client still works with the basic management stuff. there are a bunch of missing features but its fine for getting stuff decommissioned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wait they force you to use the web version these days? christ i'm glad i don't have to manage VM's anymore

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shame Boy posted:

wait they force you to use the web version these days? christ i'm glad i don't have to manage VM's anymore

when 5.0 came out they locked the thick client to basically read-only but there was practically a riot because the flash client was horrible and then they walked that back in 5.5 so the thick client can do some amount of edits to existing vms/hosts which helps with bootstrapping a failed cluster or whatever but a whole lot of stuff is inaccessible/read-only from that point forward

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
we're on 6 and the thick client works fine. again there are certain features that weren't available in the 5.5 vpshere thick client so it cant do those, but everything else works fine.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

4.x was so loving good and I miss those days but I'm not ops any more so that's someone else's problem. we sat out 5.x until 5.5 came out and missed the worst of it because they walked backed on their loving idiotic vcpu/vram licensing scheme they were trying to push that would gently caress over everyone's over provisioning strategy

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

6 seems okay and that's when I went to html console only because safari/osx and that works pretty well for all the routine stuff

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

its a large protocol suite designed to do broadcast discovery and happens to have some ability to request port forwards from a upstream NAT. some kind of discovery protocol is a requirement for any kind of soho environment without proper DNS infrastructure. you're tilting at windmills and being an idiot. the problem are the routers enabling the port forward functionality by default, implementing in a shoddy manner, and not updating/supporting their poo poo in the field.

i don't see how i'm an idiot for calling poo poo what it is: poo poo. upnp is straight garbage, i accept that it has been adopted and exists and that the majority of problems are due to lovely implementation but that aside it's dumb trash!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

we're on 6 and the thick client works fine.

it works fine for 98% of stuff then the pain comes

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i don't see how i'm an idiot for calling poo poo what it is: poo poo. upnp is straight garbage, i accept that it has been adopted and exists and that the majority of problems are due to lovely implementation but that aside it's dumb trash!

christ you are stupid

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lol

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

christ you are stupid

fine gently caress you then cheers

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

Pile Of Garbage posted:

lol take a look at this guy

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Edit: good job dunking on me ozymandOS, fellow white noise poster charlatan.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 4, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pile Of Garbage posted:

ok steve gibson

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Edit: good job dunking on me ozymandOS, fellow white noise poster charlatan.

BARONS LAST STAND

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Pile Of Garbage posted:

I hate technology that tries to be self sufficient and platform independent because sometimes it is complicated and doesn't work. :rolleyes:

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

CmdrRiker posted:

I hate technology

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
OSNews was apparently hacked and all user emails + passwords (stored as unsalted SHA-1 hashes) were stolen:

OSNews: *What happened here?* posted:

Regular readers will have noticed that we’ve been offline for several days. As you can see, during that time, we’ve made some major changes to the site, and though the design has changed substantially, we’ve made even more dramatic changes in the back-end. We are now running our 6th major iteration of OSNews. It all was precipitated by messages from readers we’ve received over the past few weeks alerting us that they’ve been getting spam, phishing attempts, and some weak-sauce cyber-extortion emails at addresses that were unique to their OSNews accounts.

It certainly seems like we’ve had a breach. Our best guess is that someone was able to exploit a vulnerability in old, unmaintained code in the site’s content management system, and made off with at least some user data, which may be as little as a few user records or, at worst, our entire database. Your email addresses were in there, and the encryption on the passwords wasn’t up to modern standards (unsalted SHA1). The truth is that once we concluded it was likely that we were breached, our small volunteer team decided it was better to go offline than it was to learn the avenue of exploit, given that we had no interest in continuing to rely on the aged codebase.

don't worry, they migrated their site to Wordpress so it should be secure going forward :nsallears:

in other news: OSNews is still around?! :eyepop:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Only people as smart as you should be able to host a server for any purpose is pretty much your end result here.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Lmao i'll never understand turbo nerds hate of upnp "THEY SHOULD HAVE TO CALL ME TO OPEN THE PORT ON THE ROUTER"

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Celexi posted:

Lmao i'll never understand turbo nerds hate of upnp "THEY SHOULD HAVE TO CALL ME TO OPEN THE PORT ON THE ROUTER"

You can txt me bb

EssOEss
Oct 23, 2006
128-bit approved

Celexi posted:

I wonder how they'll react when they realize what IPv6 does to this situation.

Edit: Oh, is this what is holding IPv6 adoption back?! :tinfoil:

EssOEss fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 6, 2019

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rjmccall posted:

i had just never considered that some non-american might watch south park and not recognize the running joke that everything associated with cartman is at least subtly and often unsubtly racist

yeahhhh, we have long ways to go...

just yesterday I watched a talk show guest being introduced with video clips of him screaming “I AM NOT A RACIST, YOU WILL NOT CALL ME RACIST”, and he came on dressed up as one of the three wise men, complete with makeup to darken his skin color

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Max Facetime posted:

yeahhhh, we have long ways to go...

just yesterday I watched a talk show guest being introduced with video clips of him screaming “I AM NOT A RACIST, YOU WILL NOT CALL ME RACIST”, and he came on dressed up as one of the three wise men, complete with makeup to darken his skin color

im torn between the fact that they are racist for brown-face but accepting of the fact that their bible characters weren't aryan supermen

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

rjmccall posted:

i had just never considered that some non-american might watch south park and not recognize the running joke that everything associated with cartman is at least subtly and often unsubtly racist

I have reached the point in my curmudgeonly old age where I believe making any kind of television or film story with a negative male role model (Tyler Durden, Walter White, Tony Soprano, Don Draper, etc.) is immoral because the audience of young white men is too stupid to understand that they're not supposed to emulate him.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, i totally see that argument (and a few others) against making the joke in the first place

but it is clearly an intentional reference

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

pseudorandom name posted:

I have reached the point in my curmudgeonly old age where I believe making any kind of television or film story with a negative male role model (Tyler Durden, Walter White, Tony Soprano, Don Draper, etc.) is immoral because the audience of young white men is too stupid to understand that they're not supposed to emulate him.

sssssssaaaaaaaaaammmmeee

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EssOEss posted:

I wonder how they'll react when they realize what IPv6 does to this situation.

Edit: Oh, is this what is holding IPv6 adoption back?! :tinfoil:

ipv6 succs

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:stare:

...Ok, who had (checks notes) “UPnP” for the “What 2019’s first meltdown will be about” pool?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 7, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Ipv6 owns

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
let's shut the gently caress up about upnp

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
ip up we all p

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ipnp and i cant stop

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
in my experience, upnp is usually the result of having had too much beer

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

don't break the seal on your router

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

im torn between the fact that they are racist for brown-face but accepting of the fact that their bible characters weren't aryan supermen

just 1 of the three isn’t, and him being of a specific skin color is apparently so important to the tradition that still, all too often, he’s portrayed by someone in blackface

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Krankenstyle posted:

ipnp and i cant stop

:yossame:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Max Facetime posted:

just 1 of the three isn’t, and him being of a specific skin color is apparently so important to the tradition that still, all too often, he’s portrayed by someone in blackface

iirc its to show theyre from all over the world or something like that

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
speaking of meltdowns what's the status of the big spectre/meltdown hullabaloo from last year? how many systems out there are thought to still be vulnerable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

all