Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your resolution for the new year?
This poll is closed.
To play more games 54 12.68%
To play more games 52 12.21%
To play less games...sorry, I meant more games 70 16.43%
To play games more 79 18.54%
Something else (in addition to playing more games) 66 15.49%
To make more/less Bowsette references 105 24.65%
Total: 219 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah sure that's totally a reasonable interpretation of what I said :rolleyes:

e: seriously did you even think this through? "You don't like how a game that encourages you to get 100% had some really lovely quest design? Well you're the reason why production nightmare FF13 was just a long hallway." I get that this is your thing and all but c'mon you can do better than this.

corn isnt wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

In Training posted:

corn isnt wrong

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
well, it's not completely true, the other reason ff13 is a single corridor is horrible production management

remember when they said it was impossible to make towns in HD

e: i don't actually mean to be antagonistic but it seems like this criticism comes up constantly about lots of stuff i really like, that it's annoying or repetitive to do absolutely 100% of everything and therefore the game's bad. maybe ffx2 is bad, i don't know yet, but it seems like it's pretty cool

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 7, 2019

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
it IS impossible to make towns in HD. every town you see in every modern game is just designed in standard definition and up rezzed

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

it IS impossible to make towns in HD. every town you see in every modern game is just designed in standard definition and up rezzed

This opens a lot questions

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

corn in the bible posted:

well, it's not completely true, the other reason ff13 is a single corridor is horrible production management

remember when they said it was impossible to make towns in HD

e: i don't actually mean to be antagonistic but it seems like this criticism comes up constantly about lots of stuff i really like, that it's annoying or repetitive to do absolutely 100% of everything and therefore the game's bad. maybe ffx2 is bad, i don't know yet, but it seems like it's pretty cool

FFX-2 is a top 3 FF

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

In Training posted:

FFX-2 is a top 3 FF

The other two of course being Lightning Returns and FF8.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

FFX-2 is one of my favorite FF games, I just think that a good portion of the design is assholeish in general like making it so you miss out on % completion by skipping dialogue and poo poo like that, and I feel like the excuse of "it was made annoying on purpose so that you can do it all over again on a second playthrough where you'll skip those same quests and just do the ones you did before" is a poor excuse.

I also just don't like how antagonistic you are in general. You say you aren't trying to be antagonistic but you always post like this and I wish you'd knock it off and stop with the half-hearted contrarian routine and just mellow out some instead of trying to pick fights like you usually do.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chumbler posted:

I'm disappointed that Crystal Chronicles isn't coming to PC :(

Lots of people dislike it but I remember having a lot of fun with that way back in the day

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 7, 2019

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
first game finished in 2019 for me is REmake, the Jill Route which I somehow never got around to before. Ready for REmake 2!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lots of people dislike it but I remember having a lot of fun with that way back in the day

I only ever played it alone, but the multiplayer had some interesting ideas even if it was wildly impractical. I don't think people would consider it to have enough meat now for good matchmaking that a rerelease would need.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

chumbler posted:

My other two are 7 and 13 but LR is swag.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chumbler posted:

I only ever played it alone, but the multiplayer had some interesting ideas even if it was wildly impractical. I don't think people would consider it to have enough meat now for good matchmaking that a rerelease would need.

well, i mean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoa97CdeG_w

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Crystal chronicles with online matchmaking so I can get called slurs for not carrying the bucket

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Actually top 3 FF are FFXIV:ARR, FFXIV:HW, and FFXIV:Stormblood in that order.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Apparently I completely missed or forgot about that.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Crystal chronicles with online matchmaking so I can get called slurs for not carrying the bucket

I think bucket boy controlling their lives might possibly curb that a bit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
bucket bitch will still get chewed out for being in the wrong place

like of all the things they really needed to strip out of any remaster of crystal chronicles to make it better, they left in the one thing that sucks the most

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think the bucket carrying is an awesome mechanic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

In Training posted:

it certainly feels that way whenever you aren't carrying it at least

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In Training posted:

it's a really bad mechanic when you only have two people and you fight with your brother over who has to carry the bucket, though

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's something weird about Valkyria Chronicles that makes my particular flavor of brain worms completely refuse to accept anything less than perfection on any map. Like I just spent an hour retrying a mission to get it done in two turns when the A rank requirement is 3. I did the same thing in VC1 with getting S ranks my first time through. The mechanics of VC rely kind of heavily on both semi-hidden information (what the exact range of enemy intercept fire is, the exact radius of grenade explosions, etc) as well as a component of executional complexity (executing movements quickly and without hesitation reduces interception fire, you have to manually aim, etc). I think the design intention was to make it so that the best-laid plans always go wrong but instead it just makes me go "ugh, if only I were a little better at the game I could achieve my goal" and try again endlessly. If I'm right about the design goal then I think it would have been better achieved by adding more actual out-of-player-hands RNG. Let me see enemy ranges and snap to headshots and auto-position grenades so that I get double kills without needing to play minigames unrelated to the tactical component I'm here for.

(signed, a fire emblem fan)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

bucket carrier for smash dlc

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

now play suikoden tactics/rhapsodia and then tear your hair out over trying to get literally impossible S-ranks

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

A fun thing from Tales of Maj'Eyal

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The White Dragon posted:

now play suikoden tactics/rhapsodia and then tear your hair out over trying to get literally impossible S-ranks

I mean I don't mind when the difficulty is in the tactics/strategy. I mind when it's in the execution in a mostly-tactical game

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Eternal Sonata update: my two street urchin boys are class conscious proletariat who recognise the exploitations within the capitalist system and the inherent greed of man and also it turns out having cancer lets you do magic. Which is allowed to make sense cause this entire world is Chopin's dream. It's like the Tidus twist but for everything.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SoR 1-2 have the best soundtracks in video games. I have no idea what happened with SoR3 though, it's like the composer had a lobotomy between games or something

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Rarity posted:

Eternal Sonata update: my two street urchin boys are class conscious proletariat who recognise the exploitations within the capitalist system and the inherent greed of man and also it turns out having cancer lets you do magic. Which is allowed to make sense cause this entire world is Chopin's dream. It's like the Tidus twist but for everything.

i'm glad you're enjoying eternal sonata but you're giving its writing way too much credit. it's like when you're a kid playing final fantasy 2 and your brain fills in the gaps of the 1992 translation, you're stopgapping things that simply aren't there

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i love crystal chronicles but i'm glad it's not coming to PC

i have enough competition as it is without having the game i'm directly ripping off of being on the computer market

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

My first game completed for 2019 is Detroit Become Human. I enjoyed this adventure game, but went in with low expectations to begin with. Beautiful graphics, good soundtrack, excellent voice acting, but shallow storyline that follows a lot of tropes for this genre. It didn't do anything to set itself apart from the already oversaturated genre of androids gaining sentience.

This time the androids were the good guys.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Selling a few old magazines on Ebay today and... 90's adverts man :stare:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Not just the ads in this case. The tone of the whole game is what you'd expect from that page.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Society in the 90s was really something. It's amazing that we thought these things were acceptable.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ah 90s advertising :allears:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rarity posted:

Society in the 90s was really something. It's amazing that we thought these things were acceptable.

IIRC PC Gamer ran a censored version of that Jo Guest one where they airbrushed on some tiny pants

Not sure what exactly that was meant to achieve :shrug:

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
After sinking several hours into it, Atom is a pretty fun game. Its fun to walk around post apocalyptic Russia, which is just as corrupt and hellish as regular Russia, smoking a blunt and chugging vodka until the next random encounter has rats eat you alive..

The writing is halfway decent too, despite some really iffy moments like the Jewish Stereotype selling books..

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Hey buckethead!
_______________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
My little brother is super excited for the Crystal Chronicles remake. Like, ridiculously excited, to the point where he's talked about it more than most new games coming out. I played that game with him a few times when he was little, didn't realize it had such a huge impression on him until now.