Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
‘’@A-Oh-C’’ (with Civil War-era extra fifth verse, because gently caress the Neo-Confederates)

AOC can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the Twitter’s last gleaming,
Whose broad memes and bright tags through the perilous fight,
O'er the Internets we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
And the Repubs' red glare, the attacks bombing on air,
Gave proof through the night that our tag was still there;
AOC does that star-spangled account yet dance
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the Freep,
Where the FOX's naughty host in shrill anger shrieks,
What is that which the Media, o'er the pearl clutching steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first Own,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled account, O long may it dance
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of Web and the Q-Anon’s confusion,
A home and a country, should leave us no more?
Their sweat has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the pundit and CHUD
From the terror of Antifa, or the gloom of the Ban:
And the star-spangled account in triumph doth dance,
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

AOC be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved homes and the right's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Peopl’d rescued land
Praise the Hard Fight that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: ‘Impeach the Fucker.’
And the star-spangled account in triumph shall dance
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

When our land is illumined with Liberty's smile,
If a troll from within strike a blow at her glory,
Down, down with the traitor that dares to defile
The hash of her tags and the page of her story!
By the millions enfranchised, who their birthright have gained,
We will make her bright future greater, just and equal!
And the Star-Spangled Account in triumph shall dance
While the land of the free is the home of the brave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Yeah that's not creepy at all.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CubanMissile posted:

Yeah that's not creepy at all.

Settle in, the next two years is going to be an endless litany from folks of every political stripe being creepy as gently caress about Ocasio-Cortez.

Edit: not saying you shouldn't call it you, mind. Just grab a bear and pace yourself, cause it's going to get exhausting.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jan 7, 2019

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Where's Sandy's birth certificate???

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

No politician has gotten people super hyped before and then disappointed. Right? Right??

(I'm not making any predictions here, just cautioning people not to do the whole cult of personality thing)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Family Values posted:

No politician has gotten people super hyped before and then disappointed. Right? Right??

(I'm not making any predictions here, just cautioning people not to do the whole cult of personality thing)
before she was even seated, people in this forum were unironically arguing she should be elected president

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

before she was even seated, people in this forum were unironically arguing she should be elected president

I'd vote for a ham sandwich over anyone with an R next to their name, and given what Trump has been doing, I'm pretty sure the sandwich would be a better president.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Before she was even seated she was already better than anyone either party has nominated since 1944

E: I'm not sure that necessarily means she should be president, just everyone else sure as hell shouldn't have been.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

to be fair, about 2 people in this forum seem to know what a president actually does beyond deploying precisely the right woke twitter word salad at all times.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

A president who did nothing but tweet for eight years would be better than all but like maybe 5 American Presidents ever, just on the lack of a bodycount alone

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Is "gateway" his nickname for his rear end, because that is what he seems to be talking out of.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
"Woke twitter word salad" would be a pro username

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Settle in, the next two years is going to be an endless litany from folks of every political stripe being creepy as gently caress

she could end our long national nightmare by answering my dms

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Mantis42 posted:

"Bronx Hoaxer" is a pretty hilarious and petty smear. Her constituents obviously love her and no one outside of New York cares about what burrough/neighborhood you come from.

e;fb with the image

If a fart noise is a bronx cheer what does a bronx hoax sound like?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

People are starving, being tortured or already dead because of the current president jumps towards the most dumb, racist thing his single brain cell can retain for over a second. A loving corpse could run this country better.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Republicans posted:

If a fart noise is a bronx cheer what does a bronx hoax sound like?

Something about being the best borough, probably.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

logger posted:

Is "gateway" his nickname for his rear end, because that is what he seems to be talking out of.

Google the phrase “The Stupidest Man on the Internet.”

That should tell you everything you need to know about Jim Hoft.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey white people, when POC adopt white names, its because we're tired of you butchering our real names or yelling at us for having hard to pronounce names in front of the entire class.

Alexandria is not exactly a super ethnic name

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
The right would be much better served to not even mention Ocasio-Cortez. They're giving her a lot more clout and attention.

So keep doing that I guess.

edit: like seriously she's one representative out of literally hundreds. This is just Republicans digging a hole.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 7, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hey white people, when POC adopt white names, its because we're tired of you butchering our real names or yelling at us for having hard to pronounce names in front of the entire class.
but of course alexandria went by “sandy” because racism, and not for the same reasons i decided people should call me howard in the 1st grade

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

You're not wrong but uh, Alexandria is already a white name.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fyodor and aoife are “white names” its just that they are actually more difficult for americans to pronounce than a wealthy virginia city lol

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Conservatives are losing their poo poo over "Sandy" because they think she's Mexican right?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Why are there so many black people wanting to take a picture with Trump

Actually why would there ever be photos of POC with Trump

What the gently caress

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
They think she’s a hurricane maybe?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Katt posted:

Conservatives are losing their poo poo over "Sandy" because they think she's Mexican right?

Also actually leftist in a public space saying words that people agree with. And the media is not able to constrain her message through the normal gateways because twitter for all of its awfulness is a public space and the media is not. She's engaging with people in a way that many politicians can only simulate because they're horribly out of touch and she's a former bartender. That's a job that requires you to connect with people.

Also her name is scary to conservatives.

Also she's a woman.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Katt posted:

They're attacking her identity as a minority to paint her as a fraud in general

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What the gently caress

Shitfucker xenophobe to the point incest is his ideal or not, Trump is still celebrity, and wart on a goblins rear end in a top hat or not, some people want to show 'I was near someone world infamous, once.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

What the gently caress

Black people are humans. There are celebrity-obsessed garbage humans of all races.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

What the gently caress

There are black republicans. There aren't a ton of them, but they tend to make up about 9-12% of the black voting population while the overwhelming majority of democrat. So while uncommon, they're not rare. What's rare is getting one to admit that they vote republican.

Note that I don't say black conservatives, but black republicans. In my experience in the South, black people are pretty darn conservative (in general, not as a monolith) and old black people are especially conservative. The only times I get called stuff like a child of God is by older black ladies who are often adorable, open and sweet in my interactions with them.

Black people tend to vote democrat not because they 100% agree with the party platforms, but because the democrats abuse them less than republicans and are more likely to empower them (read, at all) when attention turns towards them in a positive way. Black women especially are gems of the democratic party because they'll vote in the upper to mid-nineties percent lately to vote democrat and turn out in higher numbers than black men though I'm not sure if that's due to being suppressed by stuff like far higher than average incarceration ala The New Jim Crow. Anyway, black women are a constituency that the dems seriously need to appeal to in order to turn them out in even larger numbers. No one else to my knowledge beats black women for voting D at the rate that they do. In the past black women republicans were so rare that I've listened to conservative radio call in shows that will stop everything they're doing when a black woman calls in and they'll engage with her because finding a black woman who will out herself is bizarre and they will want to talk to her or even call on her in the future to get her take. In one instance she became a co-host for the entire length of that particular show that night.

Black republicans are genuinely difficult to find in the wild as stated before because many won't admit to it. I've seen fights start because someone finds out that their husband votes republican (it's almost always the husband) and holy poo poo that gets ugly and often stays ugly.

It strikes me as bizarre because many republicans are constantly dogwhistling racism except when they're openly racist or tolerating racists, maybe damning them with "Hey, no, stop" in a kind of deadpan voice. Trump on the campaign trail kicked out the congressional black republican caucus in...I want to say Florida because he thought they were there to sabotage them and then never issued an apology. Republicans occasionally embrace people like Kayne, but largely only as cover in the "hey, I have a black friend", never believing that black people have actual problems in regards to how they're treated which is why so few of them show up. Or if they do know they don't give a poo poo or enjoy the cruelty. Black republicans are largely disconnected from the cruel policies of the republican party through their wealth or you get black evangelical Christians who vote for religion over their own interests despite knowing that the republicans are a party that actively abuse them through policy. There are probably other reasons, but those are the two main groups that leaps out at me who are motivated to vote R at above the margin of error.

If you ask a republican congressman about why they should vote republican, the answer tends to be, "We're the party of Lincoln". And the answer is generally the same for "What have you done for black people lately?"

The goal of republican politics (and often politics in general) is to get people to act against their own interests. That is not always the case, but I can comfortably say that a black person voting for the republican party in any form is against their own interests, especially nowadays where open racism and fascism are more prevalent.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jan 7, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

What the gently caress
There are Latinx people (undocumented even) who voted for/convinced family to vote for Trump.

Sometimes people are dumb.

As for the photo, likely during that Black Trump Supporters rally where he called them all beautiful a few months back.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Before she was even seated she was already better than anyone either party has nominated since 1944

E: I'm not sure that necessarily means she should be president, just everyone else sure as hell shouldn't have been.
Truman is criminally underrated

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Dapper_Swindler posted:

also, his argument is "he was near a black child and didn't kick her to death, that means he is not racist".

She's going to break the hearts of the youth and shack up with the military?

Fart City posted:

Whenever someone defends a person as not being racist by showing them standing near a POC, it confirms that both the person being defended and the person doing the defending are racist as gently caress simply for resorting people to props.

Its also dumb as gently caress because they seem to not realise that "Black person says that a GOP politician is not racist" is logically countered by "White person says they ARE racist", and there's a fuckload more of group B than group A.

VitalSigns posted:

Considering that you deem the necessities of political life to be the worst sin imaginable, and the greatest virtue is the purity of having done nothing of consequence, its not really that shocking you think someone who didn't have a political career had the best one.

Crabtree posted:

People are starving, being tortured or already dead because of the current president jumps towards the most dumb, racist thing his single brain cell can retain for over a second. A loving corpse could run this country better.

"Would be better than this dumbass" is not the bar for "Should be elected president." If it was, there's about 66 million people you could point to as being deserving of the presidency.

but of course alexandria went by “sandy” because racism, and not for the same reasons i decided people should call me howard in the 1st grade

You gotta admit, "Howard" is quite the stretch for "Kotex"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Its also dumb as gently caress because they seem to not realise that "Black person says that a GOP politician is not racist" is logically countered by "White person says they ARE racist", and there's a fuckload more of group B than group A.

Uh, no. Having a single black person say you're not racist makes you 100% not racist forever. Black people are a hivemind and a single black person speaks for all black people. That's why "I have a black friend" is the ultimate defense - it's just like being Aquaman.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was Dick Cheney really the “shadow president” behind Bush that his reputation always seems to portray? Because I always felt that kind of fed into the whole Bush is a clueless dope thing which wasn’t really true and kind of excuses him for being complicit in all those crimes.

Sort of.

Bush wasn't a clueless idiot -- "intelligence" itself being kind of a bullshit concept, he's still a reasonably canny political operator, a lot more-so than JEB! -- but he did have the Trumpian qualities of being both uninterested in the minutiae of day-to-day governance and almost pathologically incurious about learning things that didn't support his pre-existing wealthy white, right-wing, religiously apocalyptic worldview. Bush is exactly the type of guy you will find at the top of a lot of large, middling-ly successful corporations bragging about being an "ideas-guy" or a "Big-picture thinker"* while actually just coasting on the success of the previous office-holde, except with extra helpings of Jesus.

Enter Cheney: ruthlessly interested in the basic mechanics of power and lacking any kind of moral or ideological compass. He famously spoon-fed Bush only the facts that Bush wanted to hear -- it's hard to remember but, before Trump, Bush was also ridiculed for receiving "intelligence briefings" that were barely above the level of glossy magazine articles with trite religious slogans and pictures plastered all over them to keep his attention-- to get Bush to do what he wanted. But he was only able to be successful because Bush was already sympatico with Cheney's main violent imperialist corporatist thrust; he wasn't a good man led astray by bad councilors, he was a lovely, lazy, evil man who dug himself into a pit through bad advice and took us all with him.

It really was the marriage made in hell, and it's why, short of dropping nukes, Trump's going to go down in future history books as being a less bad president than Bush.

*Bush's "The Decider" comment is really the most telling thing about his philosophy, such as it is. He's not wrong -- anyone whose job involves sitting through tedious conference calls or board meetings will agree that there's incredible value in having someone with the ability to cut through everything and say "No, gently caress it; we're doing this, end of discussion" -- but it trivially conflates the ability to make decisions with the ability to make good decisions, because to Bush there was never any difference.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 7, 2019

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I remember reading over ten years ago on LF a longform article about how Bush was in an accidental way the best friend that left-wing movements in South America ever had, because of his rather obsessive focus on the GWOT, the intelligence community's South America ops got cut to the bone and defunded in a way that nobody else would ever do.

Then again, his strangely adversarial policy against Russia probably had a lot to do with Putin's Georgia and Ukraine shenaningans and his rejection of Iranian overtures in September 2001 did a lot to create the shitfest that's going on in Syria right now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Majorian posted:

Black people are humans. There are celebrity-obsessed garbage humans of all races.

That also looks like an old photo going by Trump's orange level

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What the gently caress

I think that was that "Young Black conservatives"/ Blexit Kanye Toilet Paper USA event at the White House about 80 years ago.

They found all the black Republicans they could and put them in a small room to make the crowd look bigger

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

A president who did nothing but tweet for eight years would be better than all but like maybe 5 American Presidents ever, just on the lack of a bodycount alone

To be fair, VS, a President would have to put in ~work~ to keep the executive branch from causing a body count on institutional inertia alone. That's before you factor in his picks for DOD/DOJ/State/Homeland/CIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

I remember reading over ten years ago on LF a longform article about how Bush was in an accidental way the best friend that left-wing movements in South America ever had, because of his rather obsessive focus on the GWOT, the intelligence community's South America ops got cut to the bone and defunded in a way that nobody else would ever do.

Then again, his strangely adversarial policy against Russia probably had a lot to do with Putin's Georgia and Ukraine shenaningans and his rejection of Iranian overtures in September 2001 did a lot to create the shitfest that's going on in Syria right now.

The Labor Party in Brazil was rooting for Bush in 2004. After the failed coup attempt in Venezuela the Bush administration mostly stood aside for the pink wave, and at that time the FTAA was still a priority for democrats.