Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mazz posted:

They don’t have many options that aren’t the F-35, bribes or not. They can try to build more Typhoons, which are more expensive than the F-35 already and that price will climb real fast since [b]they would have to be Nuke certified to replace the Tornadoes in that role, which is a hard requirement. [B] The F-35 already will be.

They could some buy other 4+ fighters, like the F-15 or F-18 in the program bids, which is reasonably doable but unlikely. An updated F-15 like the SA or X would honestly be a fine choice but again very unlikely.

Germany can absolutely not afford its own new fighter program now, they’ve already committed to a long term typhoon replacement with France and Spain. That won’t see light till like 2040 at the earliest.

Wait, we have nuclear sharing agreements with the Jerry’s? What in the wide world of gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Wait, we have nuclear sharing agreements with the Jerry’s? What in the wide world of gently caress?

The Federal Republic of Germany is one of our most vital airbases allies.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Yes. Also with Belgium, Italy, the Netherlands, and Turkey. And formerly also with Canada (until 1984) and Greece (until 2001).

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012

drgitlin posted:

LOLWTF? I think you’ll find we call that airport “National”, friend.

Everyone I know calls it Reagan.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes. Also with Belgium, Italy, the Netherlands, and Turkey. And formerly also with Canada (until 1984) and Greece (until 2001).

What, exactly, is the tactical aim of Turkey nuke-fighters in the event of an exchange? I hope security is tighter on those warhead locks than it used to be on the Minuteman silos..

E: do the US give them nuclear weapons or just keep nuclear-armed platforms and weapons inside Turkish bases?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The bombs are American and guarded by American personnel; the vectors for them are the host country's aircraft and pilots. The idea is that if there's ever a need for them to be used, the USA will tell the other country, "okay, now's the time, we're gonna put this thing on your plane and you're gonna drop it at this target".

There's not much point to it militarily; but it's useful politically.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

The bombs are American and guarded by American personnel; the vectors for them are the host country's aircraft and pilots. The idea is that if there's ever a need for them to be used, the USA will tell the other country, "okay, now's the time, we're gonna put this thing on your plane and you're gonna drop it at this target".

Oh okay. I was worried they'd just share them with Turkish personnel and assume they'd be used against American targets come the time. Not that Turkey is that hosed (yet), but it would still be quite an act of trust.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tias posted:

Oh okay. I was worried they'd just share them with Turkish personnel and assume they'd be used against American targets come the time. Not that Turkey is that hosed (yet), but it would still be quite an act of trust.

Please. They’d use them on the Greeks.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Schadenboner posted:

Which is why Greece had the same deal, until 2001.

Also remember when talking about the Gripen, it's gone through the superbug treatment - legacy A/C models are like legacy F-18s.
Legacy Jas 39 = Legacy hornet
Jas 39E (NG+) = F-18E superbug.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/arawnsley/status/1081384192250925057

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Tias posted:

Denmark only bombs third-world farmers and head off Russian provos on christmas eve, we literally have no use for the JSF that our F-16s couldn't do if they weren't going to detetoriate at some point.
Disagree, Denmark has a large cooperation posture with the baltic countries.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Schadenboner posted:

Greeks had nukes too. The Kurds don’t.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The Russian aviation museum of Monino is going to close, and its aircraft will be converted to toys in Putin's "military disneyland" of Patriot Park.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/05/historic-aircraft-will-destroyed-move-putins-military-disneyland/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Cat Mattress posted:

It was also a significant cause for concern rather recently.

Edit: Have families returned to Incirlik?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Neophyte posted:

re: replacement planes

Whatever happened to the Gripen NG+ as the new hotness? For a while when everyone was going "oh god the F35 program is a dumpster fire WHAT NOW" there was a lot of hype regarding the new Gripen as a good alternative for non-US countries - 4+/5 gen, inexpensive to maintain and fly, cheaper, etc. But now it seems like I hardly hear it mentioned when people talk about alternative F-35 plane buys. Did the program fizzle out or?

The swiss tested the Gripen, the Rafale, and the Eurofighter in their 2008/9 fighter competition and the results (for performance in different tasks) seemed to be the same across the board. The Rafale was the best, followed by the Eurofighter, and the Gripen came in last. (Air superiority, Reconnisance, Defense, Surviveability, Strike missions, etc.) The Gripen on the other hand had the lowest price, operational cost per hour, etc.

I can't find the full report, but here is a partial one with a few of the comparison charts I mentioned.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/81390363/Swiss-Air-Force-Confidential-Report-on-the-Evaluation-of-the-Eurofighter-the-Gripen-NG-and-the-Rafale

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
How much do paper stats come into play with smaller countries and their missions? I have the hunch that for a country the difference between ”the best modern fighter” and ”a modern fighter” is neglible.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
:siren: CIA .pdf Alert :siren: but this guy collated a bunch of CIA copies of Russian strategic docs. Of particular interest:
- The Organization of Radioelectronic Warfare in an Offensive Operation of an Army and a Front (1969)
- The Principles and the Organization and Conduct of Operational Reconnaissance of a Front Offensive Operation (1974)
- Lesson No. 11: Critique of the Plan of Operational Cover and Deployment of the Front's Troops and Their Occupation of the Departure Position for the Offensive (1977)
- Lesson No. 12: Study of the Radioelectronic Warfare Plan in the Front Offensive Operation (1977)
- Spetsnaz Forces and Means in a Front Offensive Operation (1985)

Vahakyla posted:

How much do paper stats come into play with smaller countries and their missions? I have the hunch that for a country the difference between ”the best modern fighter” and ”a modern fighter” is neglible.
Overmatch is overmatch, no matter how small the country. If you want a credible deterrent, you have to pay for it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Vahakyla posted:

It's pretty much all about who they want to cozy up to. Buying a fighter is buying a political relationship. You need to cooperate with the other country's defense industry, there is frequently a lot of knowledge-sharing on everything from tactical use of the platform to maintenance practices, and if it's a current gen system you're getting a very intimate look into how their hardware functions. Depending on the thing you're buying you might also need spares etc that only the OEM can provide, which in turn makes you pretty dependent on them (the exceptions prove the rule - look at the lengths the Iranians have needed to go to to keep their F14s mostly flying).

The major players for really high end poo poo (fighters, tanks, etc) are pretty much the US, Russia, and the various European countries, plus maybe a handful of US-friendly Asian countries if you're looking at ships. Maybe China if you don't need bleeding edge and want to make a point of getting friendly with them. It's very much a map that's reminiscent of the Cold War. If China and Russia aren't politically acceptable it basically boils down to whether you want to really get in bed with the US, or just kind of sleep in the next room over by buying from their assorted NATO allies.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

For a small country with a strictly limited budget, there's an interesting trade-off there. A cheaper plane, especially one cheaper to fly, means you can afford more training. In terms of actual combat power, pilots with thousands of hours in Saabs might be able to defeat pilots with dozens of hours in fancier planes. But if your good is to deter an opponent, the hardware specs would matter more.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Unfortunately, pilots with thousands of hours in a Saab will probably lose to pilots with hundreds of hours in an F-22 or F-35.
Also, I'm not willing to bet that a country that shorts their procurement budget will turn around and fully fund their training budget.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cat Mattress posted:

Now guess how many aircraft manufacturers get to belong to both the Five Eyes and Two Eyes? And how many of them are in Europe?

But it just have to meet those standards?

How hard is it to meet, I mean the NORAD standard uses vacuum tubes amirite :smug:

[...]

[...]

:smith:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Cat Mattress posted:

The Russian aviation museum of Monino is going to close, and its aircraft will be converted to toys in Putin's "military disneyland" of Patriot Park.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/01/05/historic-aircraft-will-destroyed-move-putins-military-disneyland/
gently caress

I had daydreams of going there someday. Hopefully the big behemoths like the Bison, Tu-144, and T-4 will survive.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Unfortunately, pilots with thousands of hours in a Saab will probably lose to pilots with hundreds of hours in an F-22 or F-35.
In what universe is an F-22 going to square off with a Gripen or even be compared to it in any way, shape, or form

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Donald Trump is President we’re in the wacky mirror universe so who knows

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

david_a posted:

In what universe is an F-22 going to square off with a Gripen or even be compared to it in any way, shape, or form

A new Ace Combat game is coming out soon.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Warbadger posted:

When I was working with the Foreign Service flying out of there pretty frequently we called it Reagan National. Granted we lived in all of the other world capitols.

Huh - I've heard it called Reagan and National but not both...

Then again, I've never done a domestic gig yet.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, I'm not willing to bet that a country that shorts their procurement budget will turn around and fully fund their training budget.

Isn't it more likely to be a dozen to a hundred hours of training in a Saab vs up to a dozen hours, a few guys with tens of hours in a F-22?

Also not just the pilots, but AWACS, ground control and planning etc, army and navy exposure hours etc. Having a defense force that sees the equipment in training every few months (like in Australia) is much better than the likes of New Zealand where the equipment gets pretend used every few months on exercise and only every second exercise that they would get to put helicopters in the air, be issued live ammunition for the artillery (each six shot mission is provided two rounds, one for the first and one for the last, go through the motions of firing for the other four).

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

david_a posted:

Zorak said that, "pilots with thousands of hours in Saabs might be able to defeat pilots with dozens of hours in fancier planes." This isn't true. Anyone buying a Gripen or other Gen 4.5 fighter without a very specific use case like "bomb truck for LO standoff air-to-surface weapons" is buying a capability that is already over-matched by aircraft like the F-35 that are in production right now, or in the case of the F-22, was built in 1996.

F-16s, Gripens, etc. are rapidly losing their status as "a modern fighter" and any country that adopts them today out of parsimony or "anything but the F-35, waaaah" is only fooling themselves if they think otherwise.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 7, 2019

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Cat Mattress posted:

And here I was thinking my opinion of Putin couldn't get any lower.

Tias
May 25, 2008

vuk83 posted:

Disagree, Denmark has a large cooperation posture with the baltic countries.

As I said, our F-16 are fine for heading off the Russian provocations in our airspace that happens on a bi-yearly basis. In the event of a shooting war with Russia, we're hosed regardless and should replace our defense budget with an answering machine saying "We surrender" in Russian.

Why should we cripple our national budget on J-35s, while children still starve and people still go homeless, just so we have a war penis to shake at Russia on the Americans' behalf?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Isn't it more likely to be a dozen to a hundred hours of training in a Saab vs up to a dozen hours, a few guys with tens of hours in a F-22?

Unless you're fighting against F-22 pilots who haven't finished flight school, no. An F-22 pilot typically is getting a bit under 100 hours/year on average. And you don't pair up two green-as-hell pilots to form a two-ship.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Tias posted:

As I said, our F-16 are fine for heading off the Russian provocations in our airspace that happens on a bi-yearly basis. In the event of a shooting war with Russia, we're hosed regardless and should replace our defense budget with an answering machine saying "We surrender" in Russian.

Why should we cripple our national budget on J-35s, while children still starve and people still go homeless, just so we have a war penis to shake at Russia on the Americans' behalf?

You’re going down a D+D hole with this that won’t have a “good” answer, but basically the F-16 is going to get more expensive to keep flying in the next 25 years and the F-35 will get less because of economies of scale. A new build F-35 is already within spitting distance of a new build, modernized F-16 and it’s not out of LRIP yet. (~75m vs ~88m).

The CPFH is still about double but is also falling because the plane has been operational for 5 years to the F-16s 50. The simple fact is though the F-16s don’t have much of a service life left, especially if you want to play with NATO and do things like ISAF deployments or Baltic stuff forever. The F-16s will likely be operational in some form to 2030 or 2035 even jumping on the F-35 bandwagon anyway because this poo poo takes a long time either away.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 7, 2019

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

david_a posted:

Didn’t the US resort to doing firebombing with the B-29s partially because it was nearly impossible to reliably hit anything at the altitudes they were flying?

A couple of pages ago but this is completely backwards.

The air over Japan in 1944 was almost devoid of defensive fighters. So the B-29s started coming in low to be more effective with firebombing. Flying low exposed them to more flak so in response the B-29B was stripped of almost all it's guns so it could fly faster and spend less time exposed to flak.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Tias posted:

Denmark is a rich country in NATO. If people are going homeless/starving in a country with a gdp of 300 billion (50k/capita) that's not because its spending 1% on defense.

Meanwhile having a big military dick to wave at Russia is kind of the point of NATO collective defence. Especially for small countries such as yours and mine that stand no chance on their own. Now if you disagree with that you should probably advocate leaving NATO instead.

One thing people seem to forget is that those generous European welfare states of days past were built during the cold war when we all spent much more on defense. That we do neither today is a political choice for lower taxes etc, not some inescapable constraint.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Mazz posted:

You’re going down a D+D hole with this that won’t have a “good” answer, but basically the F-16 is going to get more expensive to keep flying in the next 25 years and the F-35 will get less because of economies of scale. A new build F-35 is already within spitting distance of a new build, modernized F-16 and it’s not out of LRIP yet. (~75m vs ~88m).

The CPFH is still about double but is also falling because the plane has been operational for 5 years to the F-16s 50. The simple fact is though the F-16s don’t have much of a service life left, especially if you want to play with NATO and do things like ISAF deployments or Baltic stuff forever. The F-16s will likely be operational in some form to 2030 or 2035 even jumping on the F-35 bandwagon anyway because this poo poo takes a long time either away.

War poo poo costs too much money and siphons it away from other government stuff, news at 11.

You forget about the used F-16s. LOTS of them available.

Yeah, I understand the fact of maintenance and such, but refurbishing and reselling older F-16's does happen. And its a LOT less expensive than 75m.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

EvilMerlin posted:

You forget about the used F-16s. LOTS of them available.

Yeah, I understand the fact of maintenance and such, but refurbishing and reselling older F-16's does happen. And its a LOT less expensive than 75m.

True, but I feel like just buying everyone else’s 16AMs came up when discussed with Belgium/Norway/whatever and it’s never been a realistic option for any of them. I mean cost wise it’s probably the cheapest but you also just prolong the inevitable and all the stuff you walk away from in terms of NATO interoperability and what not. When you tack on political offsets/bribes/corruption it gets even worse. I don’t disagree it should absolutely be considered during any proper AoA though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 7, 2019

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Looking at the alliance as a whole, I would think you would want those going to the poorer Eastern European members. Have the small rich high labour cost western europeans field the higher tech specialist stuff like the F35 for penetrating iads. While the poorer countries get the nato compatible F16s rather than ex combloc stuff.

Of course that requires coordination and doesnt work if alliance members go "welp cant deter the russians solo, might as well not bother."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
clearly the "optimal" NATO / EU force composition is to have the Nordics and the Low Countries handle specialized local stuff like amphibious and light mountain warfare plus expensive stuff like airforce, and to have the Baltics and Eastern Europe do the heavy lifting of mechanized infantry and armor - and to an extent, that has always happened, but nobody is going to fully sign off on that and leave the Netherlands with a bunch of F35s and two-three Marine regiments.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Captain von Trapp posted:

Not to derail, but what do y'all think of the Chantilly/Reston/Herndon and associated western commuter suburbs area? A company there is trying to poach me for work this thread would think is fun. I'm currently in Huntsville, AL.

I hated Reston / Herndon, lifeless suburbia and still takes for loving ever to go to DC or north to MD no matter the time of day. Its also stupidly expensive for reasonable housing without having to have a killer commute, or live in a poo poo hole predatory apartment complex. I got tired of it after like 3 years and moved back to Baltimore.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Mazz posted:

True, but I feel like just buying everyone else’s 16AMs came up when discussed with Belgium/Norway/whatever and it’s never been a realistic option for any of them. I mean cost wise it’s probably the cheapest but you also just prolong the inevitable and all the stuff you walk away from in terms of NATO interoperability and what not. When you tack on political offsets/bribes/corruption it gets even worse. I don’t disagree it should absolutely be considered during any proper AoA though.

Without a doubt.

Remember its possible to buy refurbbed F-16's (Via MLU for A/Bs or CCIP for C/Ds) are bought up to the latest avionics packages, which mostly means the APG-83 (which is a drat good system), a cockpit with some of the F-35A's features, the updted ADTE, CDEEU (finally), the LN-260 (for GPS and navigation), the IFF system based on that of the F-35 (AN/APX-126), the JHMCS II (developed from the F-35).

So while it is an F-16, its not the F-16s of old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

clearly the "optimal" NATO / EU force composition is to have the Nordics and the Low Countries handle specialized local stuff like amphibious and light mountain warfare plus expensive stuff like airforce, and to have the Baltics and Eastern Europe do the heavy lifting of mechanized infantry and armor - and to an extent, that has always happened, but nobody is going to fully sign off on that and leave the Netherlands with a bunch of F35s and two-three Marine regiments.

It also makes sense geographically. You want the big expensive F-35 to be based somewhere where it won't get obliterated in five seconds flat by missiles, and you want the tanks on the border.

Captain von Trapp posted:

Thanks all, but sadly I'm in Dulles getting ready to leave. Will definitely hit up the NRA museum next time as well.

Not to derail, but what do y'all think of the Chantilly/Reston/Herndon and associated western commuter suburbs area? A company there is trying to poach me for work this thread would think is fun. I'm currently in Huntsville, AL.

I like all of those, Chantilly the most. Reston and Herndon are better if you're commuting to Tysons Corner. Couldn't disagree more with Plinkey. The schools are excellent, and once you've seen all the museums there's no actual reason to go to Maryland or DC anyway; there's better stuff on this side of the Potomac.