Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

VERTiG0 posted:

I got some $15 set off of Amazon like 4 years ago and I've done dozens and dozens of birds with great success.

Same. Then I broke them when I thought they were able to be taken apart. Then I bought some $15 shears that can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

Now we need to discuss poultry shears.

Go on...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Is it acceptable to smoke a brisket to the stall, then foil it and put it in the oven at like 300 till it's done? I see this is common with pork, but on beef...?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yup, totally doable. That's what those of us with electric smokers are basically doing regardless of an actual oven or not. The one thing I will say is that I've found wrapping with foil causes my brisket to come out too braised. I like using butcher paper.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Cool, thanks! Is butcher paper a supermarket thing, or Amazon?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Cool, thanks! Is butcher paper a supermarket thing, or Amazon?

You can use parchment paper if you can't find butcher paper at the grocery.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Or if you have a U-Line account at work just order it there. That's what I do. Cheap and quite a few options.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

I found a set of these on clearance.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-PowerArc-Easy-Action-Shears/dp/B01MT5RQUR

You want to talk about EZ spatchcocking. So much nicer than my old set.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Canuckistan posted:

I found a set of these on clearance.

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-PowerArc-Easy-Action-Shears/dp/B01MT5RQUR

You want to talk about EZ spatchcocking. So much nicer than my old set.

Ok, I'm lazy and my shears rotate apart and I toss them in the dishwasher. How do you clean what you linked?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I'm thinking about getting a masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker.

Are these worthwhile? What easy idiot proof smoker should I get?

I like sous vide because it's hard to gently caress up.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

TheReverend posted:

I have one and like it but it doesn't produce a lot of smoke on it's own, you'll probably want something like this to go with it.
https://www.amazon.com/MAZE-N-Pellet-Smoker-Smoking-Works/dp/B007ROPJ1M

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have one and while I'm definitely new to the hobby it seems to produce enough smoke for me. I have the one with the flat digital controls, not the one with them raised. Not sure how much that matters. I don't preheat it. Just throw in the meat, the wood chips, then turn it on. That runs the heating element plenty to get the chips smoking. I'll usually throw another stack in like 1-2 hours later. Been plenty of flavor for me.

But I also got it because I live in an apartment and didn't want a traditional smoker that obviously produces way more smoke.

It is extremely brain dead. I feel like I'm cheating. The worst part is cleaning. I remove everything I can and clean those parts every cook. I bet most folks don't and are fine.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 7, 2019

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I have one and while I'm definitely new to the hobby it seems to produce enough smoke for me. I have the one with the flat digital controls, not the one with them raised. Not sure how much that matters. I don't preheat it. Just throw in the meat, the wood chips, then turn it on. That runs the heating element plenty to get the chips smoking. I'll usually throw another stack in like 1-2 hours later. Been plenty of flavor for me.

But I also got it because I live in an apartment and didn't want a traditional smoker that obviously produces way more smoke.

It is extremely brain dead. I feel like I'm cheating. The worst part is cleaning. I remove everything I can and clean those parts every cook. I bet most folks don't and are fine.

You probably dont need to clean literally everything inside, like the side parts that hold up the racks don't get dirty other than smoke (you do have to take the bottom right/left side out to remove the drip tray tho). I take out all the racks I'm not using so I don't have to clean them, but you do need to clean the racks, and at least the drip tray every time. I hosed up once and didn't clean poo poo for like 3 months after one smoke and had a shitload of mold. I scrubbed the gently caress outta the inside and then ran the thing at full throttle for a few hours.

Also true about just putting the meat in when you're doing the preheat, you get a lot of smoke that way since the heating element is on full time. I just never got a good smoke ring using the heating element alone, once i got that a-maze-ing tray, the smoke penetration was just better. It's fine for something like smoked salmon but when I do brisket I want that smokey flavor going as deep as possible.

DiggityDoink fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jan 7, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

TheReverend posted:

MES is basically as easy and cheap as smoking can get. The only thing I'd mention is that you can't get a full rack of ribs on the 30". That said, the 30" sells for so much less than the 40" that it may be worth the tradeoff unless you're routinely cooking for big groups.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

MES is basically as easy and cheap as smoking can get. The only thing I'd mention is that you can't get a full rack of ribs on the 30". That said, the 30" sells for so much less than the 40" that it may be worth the tradeoff unless you're routinely cooking for big groups.

It's an easy enough get around to fit a full slab of ribs in, just cut them in 1/2. You're more than likely slicing them before serving so it doesn't really matter if it's a whole or a half going in.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

No big groups. Just me , the wife, and a baby.

Thanks I'll check it out!

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

MES 30 is a great starting smoker. I haven't used mine in the winter yet this year but it works well in summer. It does have a hard time getting big slabs of meat (racks of ribs or full packer briskets) but you CAN cut meat in half. I had a group of people and ended up doing 3 racks of ribs in mine.

I would agree with others that you don't get a fantastic smoke ring, but the food tastes great coming out of it, and it's so easy to use. Just put in meat, add wood and let it run. I generally add extra wood about every hour or so for a few hours since the hopper doesn't work.

Plan on getting a decent probe thermometer too so you aren't opening and closing to get temps. I use a wireless one and it make life easy, I can see my meats temp while sitting cozily in the living room.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Final question, is this something you have to somewhat babysit?

I probably shouldn't start smoking and then head to work for 8 hours ...?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
For a brisket or pork shoulder you could probably do that, most stuff is going to be faster than that though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Some MES have a meat probe and a remote, but the range is poo poo compared to something dedicated to the task.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ok, I'm lazy and my shears rotate apart and I toss them in the dishwasher. How do you clean what you linked?

Same way as any other scissors? Wash, sanitize, air dry. If I'm doing turkey I already have sink of bleach water on the go for sanitizing as I go.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TheReverend posted:

Final question, is this something you have to somewhat babysit?

I probably shouldn't start smoking and then head to work for 8 hours ...?

You can prety much let it go, If you want to let it sit you'd probably want to get the amazon pellet thing. They'll give you many hours of smoke. I get to work from home so I just set mine and toss wood in occasionally.

I'd recommend trying some pulled pork on a weekend or something to make sure it's all working correctly.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Some MES have a meat probe and a remote, but the range is poo poo compared to something dedicated to the task.

yeah but not the ~$100-$140 30" You're better going with a separate device.. I think some of the remote thermometers have a cloud connection so you can even monitor from work.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I finally got around to replacing my heating element this weekend so I did a Pepper Stout Beef to celebrate. Oh so good! I am not sure if the old element was actually bad because one of the leads was corroded and fell apart. That might have been all it was but for $30 they sent an element and 2 new leads so I changed it all anyways. Worked great after.

TheReverend posted:

I have an MES 40 (get the 40 if you ever plan on doing bigger meals/parties) and love it but yes you will also want to get an AMAZEN pellet smoker to put inside to get more smoke. The Amazen is also good if you want to cold smoke fish or cheese or something as you can use that for smoke instead.

One thing with the electrics is that you cant get crispy skin on chicken and stuff due to the temp not getting high enough. You can always finish on a hot grill or the oven if that matters though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Canuckistan posted:

Same way as any other scissors? Wash, sanitize, air dry. If I'm doing turkey I already have sink of bleach water on the go for sanitizing as I go.

That was sort of my question and wondered to how to get them clean. Guess what I was getting at is my two pairs I can take them apart and not have (possible) meat stuck in the hinge.

tater_salad posted:

yeah but not the ~$100-$140 30" You're better going with a separate device.. I think some of the remote thermometers have a cloud connection so you can even monitor from work.

Sure, don't do Maverick.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Colostomy Bag posted:

Sure, don't do Maverick.

Seriously, this thread is littered with people who started with "cheaper" thermometers and then upgraded when they failed in one to two years. Save the pain and money and get a Thermoworks Smoke from the get go.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The smoke is so good. No question the single largest thing you can do to up your cooking game.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My Maverick lasted over 3 years. I'm one of the lucky ones.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My Smoke has been a serious PITA. After a couple of hours one of the probes would just show like 180F no matter what the temp was, and it kept doing that if I put replacement probes in too. I use my Flame Boss now for easy-mode cooking anyway, but it was annoying.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

VERTiG0 posted:

My Maverick lasted over 3 years. I'm one of the lucky ones.

You should have bought a lotto ticket.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
According to my order history my Maverick is going on 4.5 years, though I've replaced both probes at least once.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
FYI, the Smoke is on sale for for $20 off right now- I decided to pick one up so I don't have to leave my ChefAlarm outside anymore.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Veritek83 posted:

FYI, the Smoke is on sale for for $20 off right now- I decided to pick one up so I don't have to leave my ChefAlarm outside anymore.

I'm ready to make the leap. Anyone "beat on them"? As in hey it is sprinkling outside, and it survives? Probe life?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm ready to make the leap. Anyone "beat on them"? As in hey it is sprinkling outside, and it survives? Probe life?

I've used mine outside when it was raining, it was fine. It's pretty durable overall.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Colostomy Bag posted:

I've left mine overnight in the snow. It was fine.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What does this line mean:

Smoke Gateway only; Smoke BBQ thermometer sold separately.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Colostomy Bag posted:

What does this line mean:

Smoke Gateway only; Smoke BBQ thermometer sold separately.

The gateway is a device that allows you to capture and process the data sent by the Smoke BBQ Thermometer. You don't want to own the Gateway without the Thermometer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

ada shatan posted:

The gateway is a device that allows you to capture and process the data sent by the Smoke BBQ Thermometer. You don't want to own the Gateway without the Thermometer.

Ahhh, gotcha. Previous link confused me. I can basically get away with the 2 channel kit if I don't care about the wifi.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The gateway lets you connect your smoke to wifi and poo poo. The basic smoke just talks to the base station. But yeah the gateway would be useless without the smoke proper.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I think I am going to get a DOT and Thermopop. I really want to want the Smoke, but I want it to have 1-2 more probe spots for when I do multiple meats.

I think eventually I will get this.
https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

El Jebus posted:

I think I am going to get a DOT and Thermopop. I really want to want the Smoke, but I want it to have 1-2 more probe spots for when I do multiple meats.

I think eventually I will get this.
https://www.thermoworks.com/Signals

One of those things where it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

So go for it.