Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Who will fact check the fact checkers?

edit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

i can't write an article if im not allowed to draw wildly inaccurate comparisons

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1082311686344896513

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

so loving what? there are bad fact-checkers, therefore fact-checking is bad? is that really the argument you're pushing here?

Good example of how the Orwellian title of "fact-checker" functions.

Anyone who criticizes how fact-checkers operate is anti-facts! It's in the name!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No Democrats gave a gently caress when Obama had a brain fart and said 57 States even though that was the biggest story on Fox News for days.

A brain fart or misspeaking about a statistic isn't the same thing as Trumpist propaganda. This is both side'ism at it's worst.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Rolling into 2019 like

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone else fully on board with taxing the ever loving poo poo out of the rich even if we literally take all of that money and burn it in a giant bonfire? Because at least those fuckers won’t have it anymore.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also with stuff like the 57 states thing and other minor errors Obama would joke about it and go oops. Trump is incapable of admitting a mistake so you would get him saying he’s right while the GOP Tripp’s over themselves to justify it.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SHARIA LAW SCHOOL posted:

i can't write an article if im not allowed to draw wildly inaccurate comparisons

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1082311686344896513

This article is a great example of exactly how some people in this thread are misrepresenting what she said.

AOC specifically says facts are important, but that just because someone makes a clumsy misstatement of a number doesn't invalidate their argument if the correct figure still supports their argument or if the argument is correct for other reasons regardless of that mistake

The Post even quotes her saying that fact-checking is important, and then immediately lies and claims she hates facts.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So, given that it's now January 7th, I'm gonna go on the record and say that I was wrong and am owned about thinking the government would be open by the 10th, and I am surprised at Trump holding out for this long.

Feel free to quote this if the government actually does reopen by the 10th and double own me.

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

Weren't the parties basically the opposite back then though?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

Anyone who criticizes how fact-checkers operate is anti-facts! It's in the name!

Exactly. If some journalists wants to say she is full of poo poo and this is why that's their opinion. But when the Fact Checkers do it they are specifically leveraging their job title to give extra credibility. It would be one thing if a " fact checker" got something wrong they we're totally discredited but they consistently are full of poo poo and continue. In most other fields you can't just be wrong consistently which is one of the reasons to be on the level but Fact Checkers do not have that quality control.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Radish posted:

Literally no person has no biases. I'm way more suspicious of someone saying they are totally objective when fact checking than someone that admits those biases. It's how you get these racist algorithms when "well it's science and math from an unfeeling computer" that just happened to be programmed by white dudes.

We need to look at what people are saying and call out lies and listen to people that understand the issues being discussed. That's a lot more complicated than just leaving it to random pundits and the CNN backroom.

Agreed, someone who has no biases is someone whose biases are so normalized that they aren't seen as problematic. You don't have to be wearing a white hood on the weekend to be biased.

There is a reason why the sciences require redundant studies to back up single points, because the original person has a massive bias towards proving their hypothesis and everyone knows that.

E. Now that I think about it, politics and science kind of overlap in terms of lovely reactive reporting. "LAB CURES CANCER in rats with a certain strain of cancer and half of them died anyways"

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 7, 2019

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1082318105890746368

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

So, given that it's now January 7th, I'm gonna go on the record and say that I was wrong and am owned about thinking the government would be open by the 10th, and I am surprised at Trump holding out for this long.

Feel free to quote this if the government actually does reopen by the 10th and double own me.

Honestly, every day the government stays shut I get more and more frightened. I want Democrats to hold the line, but I don't think we have the luxury of doing so much longer. My hope is that Pelosi at least knows more about the situation than I do.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Toobly posted:

yeah but they still try to pretend to be the "part of lincoln".

bobjr posted:

Also with stuff like the 57 states thing and other minor errors Obama would joke about it and go oops. Trump is incapable of admitting a mistake so you would get him saying he’s right while the GOP Tripp’s over themselves to justify it.

and there's a vast gulf between misspeaking and lying your rear end off. trump often doesn't care if what he says is true but he's knowingly lied. it's not misspeaking when it's every time you talk. it's just speaking.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Toobly posted:

It was more industry / capitalism (rep) vs agriculture / labor (dem), which is why the republicans wanted railroads, cheaper labor, and open markets. but, you know, with like a lot more nuance

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Toobly posted:

Not really, modern political ideologies and platforms don't really track 1-1 with the 1860s.

Broadly speaking, the Republican Party was a northern-oriented business party focused on the development of industrial capacity, while the Democratic Party was a southern-oriented cash crop party focused on protecting the plantation economy.

Also worth noting that 1868 was before the big xenophobic wave against Asian people and the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Honestly, every day the government stays shut I get more and more frightened. I want Democrats to hold the line, but I don't think we have the luxury of doing so much longer. My hope is that Pelosi at least knows more about the situation than I do.

Why do the Dems have to give at all?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

so loving what? there are bad fact-checkers, therefore fact-checking is bad? is that really the argument you're pushing here?

the example i posted was of arguably the most well-known known fact checker thrusting his thumbs in his ears and shouting "I CAN'T HEAR YOU" over and over and over when presented with facts that contradicted his original fact check and refusing to actually correct it, because it contradicted his friends at a libertarian think tank and would have made his friend jake tapper look bad

fact checking as practiced by people like glenn kessler is a loving sham

B B fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 7, 2019

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Why would you think this?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why do the Dems have to give at all?

I agree, the longer the shutdown goes on the worse it is for Republicans. It's a powerful own goal and there's no way they can credibly spin it with non-chuds as being the Democrats' fault when Trump loudly, preemptively declared he'd own the shutdown.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kobayashi posted:

They are right though. Weaponizing the left's compassion against them is standard practice now.

The Democrats won't let people starve and the Republicans know that.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/1082319456246923267

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I agree, the longer the shutdown goes on the worse it is for Republicans. It's a powerful own goal and there's no way they can credibly spin it with non-chuds as being the Democrats' fault when Trump loudly, preemptively declared he'd own the shutdown.
The government shut down when the Republicans were in charge of both chambers of Congress. Republicans not only shut down the government, but Trump said from the beginning that he would own the shut down (before pussying out), and he's the reason it is still shut down.

A reasonable person would see that the Republicans are at fault, which is why 35% will blame the Democrats.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it would be catastrophically stupid for the dems to cave. the majority blame trump and it'll just let him know to do it in the future.

polling shows only the republican base blames the dems.

heyitsamanda
Jul 17, 2018

I mean, it's one banana Michael, what could it cost? 10 dollars?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

If they don’t hold the line, the Dems are going to get turbofucked until Trump is out of office because he’ll just hold our society hostage every time he wants something. It’s like that flashback in the first season of the Expanse where all of the refugees surrender explaining they only wanted oxygen for their children, then the Earth Military just kills them all anyways.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The Dems can’t cave here.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I guess we've had an ongoing national security crisis for decades and never realised it! thanks trump!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

She means a DC area Taco Bell

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

so the new plan is to pretend there's a national security crisis at the border by saying 'national security crisis' a bunch and hope that'll help him using military funds to build the wall?

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Yea, we could do with a good 40-50 years of the federal government pulling that poo poo on conservatives. Just to balance the scales.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
^Holy poo poo the look on Ryan Coogler's face in that clip. yikes. ^

Also politifact and its ilk are biased as gently caress and absolutely pushing a corporate centrist agenda with their so-called "fact checking." They weren't divinely ordained as "fact checkers" who now must be rejected as such but:

VitalSigns posted:

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

Because I don't think Republicans will, and when you have the party of "we hate government and want it to fail" put up against "we prefer, uh, functioning government" it says to me that the only people who will blink are the ones who want government to function.

Lightning Knight posted:

A powerful own goal it might be, but apparently Trump doesn't care, and Mitch McConnell is busy hiding in his shell--so what are our options? Wait until enough Republicans decide to put country before party?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

lol, what a loving waste. i guess thats when he will declare a national emergency.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
Someone just took a commanding lead in the race for 2019's dumbest Democratic office holder.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1082283243355992064?s=19

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

lol, what a loving waste. i guess thats when he will declare a national emergency.

Good, can we reopen the government now? You know, since Donny has decided he doesn't need Congress to build his dumb wall (spoiler alert: this won't survive the first court challenge by a competent lawyer).

DynamicSloth posted:

Someone just took a commanding lead in the race for 2019's dumbest Democratic office holder.

https://twitter.com/politico/status/1082283243355992064?s=19

:ughh: He just legitimized all of Trump's blather for the last three weeks about "steel slats" being an acceptable compromise. Goddamnit, get him off TV.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Anyone else fully on board with taxing the ever loving poo poo out of the rich even if we literally take all of that money and burn it in a giant bonfire? Because at least those fuckers won’t have it anymore.

Naw, I'd rather do some good with it. Spite doesn't keep people warm and healthy at night.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

undocumented immigration is so low on the list of issues facing this country in terms of severity it's insane that one party is animated seemingly solely over it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

so the new plan is to pretend there's a national security crisis at the border by saying 'national security crisis' a bunch and hope that'll help him using military funds to build the wall?

It’s a pretext for trying to declare a national emergency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

cochise posted:

Naw, I'd rather do some good with it. Spite doesn't keep people warm and healthy at night.

Depends how close to the money bonfire you are