Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Threeeeead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SeXReX posted:

I'll gently caress off but only on my own terms, doing so as rudely as possible

*moonwalks out of the thread flipping the double bird*

:moonrio::moonrio::moonrio:

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
With GDQ just around the corner I'm about to start my annual run of Mario 64 with friends. It's a 14 year tradition. We all play once a year and we are all terrible, but here
is a multitwitch for it. We were supposed to start 35 minutes ago, so I expect we'll start in about 20 minutes. We even have a neural net playing this year!

And by "we are all terrible" I mean I currently have the trophy with a time of 5 hours 56 minutes. My first year in the tournament I practiced and got something like 3 hours and was summarily disqualified for practicing. This year I have the flu, we'll see if I can keep it.

Edit: We are actually starting now! 3 hours late!

Oyster fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 6, 2019

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Chat thread is a dumpster fire for goons to keep warm around, but the info thread is where we get the meal we all eat while warming up by the dumpster fire.
So which thread is Arbys?

KennyMan666 posted:

^ Red Bull has sponsored ESA as well.
I swear Red Bull will sponsor almost anything. A few years ago they sponsored a janky MK8 esports event where I live.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Croccers posted:

So which thread is Arbys?

this thread is arbys :burger:

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Cant wait for every failbrained idiot in these forums to get epic shitpost horney xD over kazooie or isabelle or whatever the gently caress

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Arf I'm not big into it either but do you always just pop up to complain about other peoples' posting or something

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Now that you say it... huh that does seem to be the case.
Have I truly become a monster...

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

ArfJason posted:

Cant wait for every failbrained idiot in these forums to get epic shitpost horney xD over kazooie or isabelle or whatever the gently caress

https://twitter.com/purrblind/status/1081799232569462785?s=19

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ArfJason posted:

you loving suck in every thread you brokebrained loser

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FirstAidKite posted:

Arf I'm not big into it either but do you always just pop up to complain about other peoples' posting or something

thats his gimmick

next he'll go to c-spam and post a le epic post about idiocracy

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
E: forgot there was a thread

site fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 7, 2019

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

eonwe posted:

next he'll go to c-spam and post a le epic post about idiocracy

He actually did it! The absolute madman!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

KennyMan666 posted:

Infothread's coming tonight (my time).

So I was hoping we'd be posting the threads close to each other, and I tend to wait until like 24 hours before the marathon starts because in my experience the period of time between posting the thread and the marathon starting isn't one where a lot of good posting happens. I'll still be posting the thread as I've planned, but I'll be honest, sometimes I wonder why I put in the effort since nobody really seems to care about the informative marathon threads anymore. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely get the appeal of liveposting, I write a lot in the GDQ IRC during the marathons and chatting about it with others definitely improves it and is an important part of The Marathon Viewing Experience™, but just stuff like ^ calling the chat thread "the good one" implies that my upcoming "serious"/effort/informative thread would be "the bad" GDQ thread.

No, I'm not mad at anyone and I don't mean for there to be any animosity, I just increasingly get the feeling that the effort I put into my marathon threads isn't appreciated at all.

Sorry bud, I can appreciate the effort you put in but the kazooie rear end thread is fun and comfy and the srs bsns one isn't :shrug:

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

KennyMan666 posted:

Infothread's coming tonight (my time).

So I was hoping we'd be posting the threads close to each other, and I tend to wait until like 24 hours before the marathon starts because in my experience the period of time between posting the thread and the marathon starting isn't one where a lot of good posting happens. I'll still be posting the thread as I've planned, but I'll be honest, sometimes I wonder why I put in the effort since nobody really seems to care about the informative marathon threads anymore. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely get the appeal of liveposting, I write a lot in the GDQ IRC during the marathons and chatting about it with others definitely improves it and is an important part of The Marathon Viewing Experience™, but just stuff like ^ calling the chat thread "the good one" implies that my upcoming "serious"/effort/informative thread would be "the bad" GDQ thread.

No, I'm not mad at anyone and I don't mean for there to be any animosity, I just increasingly get the feeling that the effort I put into my marathon threads isn't appreciated at all.

It's extremely nice to have a thread that's about sharing information about this event and not about posting thirsty Nintendo characters and mashing emptyquote as hard as possible.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

mfcrocker posted:

Sorry bud, I can appreciate the effort you put in but the kazooie rear end thread is fun and comfy and the srs bsns one isn't :shrug:
ok

the "comfy" one is way too much, the equivalent of that gif of a rolleyes vomiting hundreds of rolleyes but with :justpost: instead, the other one is mostly recommendations/takes on recent runs and occasional hype posts(and that one dude calling out an interviewer for being an abusive sex pest), it's a good thread brent

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

SoftNum posted:

It's extremely nice to have a thread that's about sharing information about this event and not about posting thirsty Nintendo characters and mashing emptyquote as hard as possible.

Having Options is good. It's like Gradius, when the TASbot doesn't desync.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Captain Invictus posted:

ok

the "comfy" one is way too much, the equivalent of that gif of a rolleyes vomiting hundreds of rolleyes but with :justpost: instead, the other one is mostly recommendations/takes on recent runs and occasional hype posts(and that one dude calling out an interviewer for being an abusive sex pest), it's a good thread brent

That's cool and I'm glad there's an audience for Kenny's thread! I'm just explaining why people might have expressed quite strong views on "good" and "bad" threads

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
How are you even supposed to follow a thread that gets a thousand posts an hour

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

site posted:

Masturbating furiously

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

site posted:

:jpmf:

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

site posted:

Follow's the wrong word, you don't "follow" it

Please don't bother reading posts from the past in that thread. Instead, just go to the newest page and say "hey everybody! What have I missed in the last x hours/days?" Some helpful speedfriend will summarize for you, and may even link you to relevant supporting links/posts. Then proceed to watch the marathon and :justpost:

It goes against The SA Code but it's a very special thread with it's own special rules, you see. Once you accept that, it's fun!

And Kenny, I hate to hear that you feel your efforts aren't being appreciated :( I have to be honest, and I'm only saying this because it's something I need to hear every now and then, but...maybe you could consider putting less effort into it? That's a super long OP, and unless a majority of it is just copy/pasted, I don't know if all that info's truly necessary! I love the serious thread post-AGDQ for recommendations like everyone else has said; that's where I think effort is best spent.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

site posted:

To borrow an analogy from the Sports Forum:

-This thread is the more, 10k foot view of speed running.
-This thread here is the News/Views thread. It's for after the fact discussion, not live reaction.
-This thread here is for live reaction, or a game day thread. Don't try to stay on top of it, :justpost:

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I really miss the old thread setup where people were talking about the runs as they happened and you could actually read it instead of having one dead thread and one twitch chat but on the forums thread

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
I wish the chat thread had more live reaction and less bird dicks.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
The live thread is sometimes useful for catching the "mood" of a run but yeah I haven't seen much of that so far.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Booourns posted:

I really miss the old thread setup where people were talking about the runs as they happened and you could actually read it instead of having one dead thread and one twitch chat but on the forums thread

The recommendation thread was first started as an answer to the chat thread when the chat thread became "twitch chat but on the forums". I wouldn't mind if we decide to use it for on-topic commentary during the runs.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Booourns posted:

Carbon dioxide posted:

The recommendation thread was first started as an answer to the chat thread when the chat thread became "twitch chat but on the forums". I wouldn't mind if we decide to use it for on-topic commentary during the runs.

Yeah, I miss the times where you could post a funny pic every now and then but still read comments on the runs. The popularity kinda ruined it for me. Nowadays it just seems many people are just out to use the GDQ as a context for shitposting their favourite memes. Maybe we should do live commentary on the slow thread as well.

e: while I was writing that post, the chat thread had like 500 posts more. I'm gonna move to the slow thread instead of shouting in the wind.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 7, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they're both fine

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Wasn't there still the 2 thread dichotomy before there were explicitly 2 threads, it's just that the dichotomy was between a more liveposting official gdq thread and a separate kind of more calm and newsy posting but in this thread?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I love the chat thread and the memes, but I don't really appreciate the borderline and blatant :nws: images and really weird fetish fanart that sometimes pop up. It can really get out of hand sometimes and I worry that scares away other potential speedfriends. Most of my liveposting time happens during downtime at work and I prefer not having to be ultra-careful scrolling down lest I get another giant bird dick in my face.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I tried to follow the chat thread during the Castlevania II run since I missed a part, but there was just pages of posts of gay Overwatch characters and unrelated naughty pics.

Yes I'm sure there was a post about the actual event there somewhere too, but it certainly is not the place to be during US evening time if you want to talk about speedruns. Euro morning/afternoon was a lot better in that sense, you could at least read some replies since the thread didn't move at breakneck speed.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

At least for threads in the Games subforum, the story of there two threads was as follows:

I had been doing marathon threads for a bunch of marathons, then for one AGDQ (whichever's the first one that's listed as having a Chat thread in the list of marathon threads), despite me posting in the speedrunning thread that yes, I would be making the thread like usual, someone else made a thread with an OP based entirely on a single meme and not much information. I made my thread as I had planned anyway and the mood turned a little sour for a bit. What it ended up turning into was live-reaction thread and seriousposting thread. Then it happened again for SGDQ the following year. It was concluded that yeah, having the two threads was not bad as such as it was good to have one that you could actually follow, I was just annoyed by how the person who made the two other threads that year completely and actively ignored me and my GDQ threads, like when he for the next AGDQ posted something in the speedrunning thread to the effect of "I've been doing the GDQ threads, now I want someone to take over". To say that rubbed me the wrong way would be an understatement.

But splitting it up into seriousposting thread and shitposting thread - yeah, that was a good thing. So since then, we've been doing it on purpose and with actual cooperation between the threads. Before the split it was a single thread with the long, informative OP that also served as the live-reaction posting thread. Of course, the audience was smaller back then, so it wasn't as impossible to even attempt to follow like the chat threads are now.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

The chat thread of AGDQ 2018 (it seems so long ago!) was the best, it got crazy during some select runs but you could still read it most of the time and even the memes were on-topic. Then at SGDQ they discovered Kazooieass and I guess people are still continuing from that thought.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
to be 100% fair, the point of making the competing thread was to get on your nerves Kenny

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

eonwe posted:

to be 100% fair, the point of making the competing thread was to get on your nerves Kenny
That the thread was made for no other reason than to troll me personally doesn't exactly make it any better. Actually, it makes it the complete opposite of that!

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

KennyMan666 posted:

That the thread was made for no other reason than to troll me personally doesn't exactly make it any better. Actually, it makes it the complete opposite of that!

I think that was a joke my man!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
or was it

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Jokes have no place in this, the most serious of speedrunning threads. That still has a Halloween thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

KennyMan666 posted:

Jokes have no place in this, the most serious of speedrunning threads. That still has a Halloween thread title.

what would be more fitting than a speedghosting thread on these dead forums