Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

haveblue posted:

To be totally accurate you have to let the gif play twice

Those trucks look like they're from the 80s so they SHOULD know how to Moonwalk.

edit- HEEE-he!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

GotLag posted:

Are you going to share with the rest of the class?

Are you a cop? You have to answer if you're a cop.

It's been a looooong time since I read that book, but it was basically this thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil_bomb with gunpowder or optional explosives attached.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

FogHelmut posted:

A friend from school gave a copy to me on a floppy disc around 22 years ago. I don't have it anymore. Wasn't the napalm supposed to be a mix of gasoline and styrofoam?

I had a copy on a floppy disk labeled, "Fuzzy Bunnies TXT", given to me by some kid in middle school whose name I don't remember.

I tried to make an exploding pen out with match heads and sand paper, but it never really worked. I also spent a lot of time lamenting being too young to have the opportunity to do phone phreaking.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Wasn't there another one about filling up a tennis ball with match heads?

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I also spent a lot of time lamenting being too young to have the opportunity to do phone phreaking.

My buddy in junior high and high school (84-90) was big into red and beige boxing.

I never saw the appeal in it.

FogHelmut posted:

That might have been in the Poor Man's James Bond series

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

FogHelmut posted:

Did this, and got it to ignite, it was underwhelming. Bouncing tennis balls through a puddle of burning gasoline is much more fun, leaves a fire trail like back to the future.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I tried to make a molotov cocktail but I managed to find the strongest bottle and couldn't get it to smash

e: nothing we ever tried was ever as fun as just throwing bottles of deodorant in to a fire

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FogHelmut posted:

A friend from school gave a copy to me on a floppy disc around 22 years ago. I don't have it anymore. Wasn't the napalm supposed to be a mix of gasoline and styrofoam?

gasoline and powdered laundry detergent

I doubt it works with tide pods though, so that ship may have sailed

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Memento posted:

This has been linked before and is an excellent article about the institutional momentum that contributed to the deaths of the seven astronauts on Columbia

Columbia's Last Flight

drat. :cry:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lurking Haro posted:

The revolutionary army is kind of underwhelming.
Teeheehee

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The tale of a kid who rescued himself after having both arms ripped off by a PTO.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

TTerrible posted:

I had the anarchist cookbook version of napalm and had a seriously loving bad time.

:justpost:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I remember a period of time when the news was warning of tennis balls full of match heads supposedly left to injure dogs that find and try to chew on them.

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
not very osha

mildly nws

https://i.imgur.com/vk4VVS0.gifv

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

FogHelmut posted:

Jolly Roger's Cookbook had that one for sure. I still have that fucker somewhere, it somehow survived from floppy disk in 1995 until now. I printed the whole thing off at school in 10th grade, back before that sort of thing raised eyebrows.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

wolrah posted:

I recall seeing some homebrew mini shuttle train someone built out of an old van that used a similar system to turn around at the end of the lines, but I can't find the video now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zeBIxI7n1I

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

He's doing OK: https://www.grandforksherald.com/content/john-thompson-still-struggles-aftermath-1992-accident

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Luneshot posted:

These shedding events were common enough to not be considered a danger by management.

Is there any more frightening phrase to a worker than, "not considered a danger by management"?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

This is incredible. Makes Aron Ralston look like a baby.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Jolly Roger's Cookbook had that one for sure. I still have that fucker somewhere, it somehow survived from floppy disk in 1995 until now. I printed the whole thing off at school in 10th grade, back before that sort of thing raised eyebrows.
In case you’re missing any of it...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

https://i.imgur.com/0Rwjn5L.gifv

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

In hospital bed there is plenty of time for literary classics. One of my favourites is Hemingway's Farewell to arms.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lightning strike?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

wesleywillis posted:

Lightning strike?

That would be my guess. Lightning strike hitting a telephone pole.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

In hospital bed there is plenty of time for literary classics. One of my favourites is Hemingway's Farewell to arms.

I refuse to clap for this pun.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

wesleywillis posted:

Lightning strike?

Sounds like no, if this guy is real:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

Lightning strike?

No it's malfunctioning if it were lighting he wouldn't be filming it and it wouldn't have already been glowing/sparking.
Probably one of the insulators failing.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 8, 2019

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ixian posted:

I refuse to clap for this pun.

Don't clap-shame.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Sounds legit if it was recent, Portland OR (and Vancouver WA which is right next door) had ~50MPH gusts of wind on Saturday night.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i'm disappointed that the hazards aren't synced, but great effort otherwise :v:

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Lightning strike?

There was a crazy windstorm in the Seattle region early Sunday morning with some areas reporting 60mph gusts. Lots of trees came down. So something probably already hit the wires before that. I was up checking on my property while blue and orange flashes lit up the sky all around. There are still some areas without power and trees/branches littering the roadside.

Someone uploaded this, too.
https://i.imgur.com/4tqEuAD.gifv

I thought I filmed some of the huge flashes, especially the one that resulted my area's power going out but unfortunately I failed to actually press the record button and just held my phone to the sky....

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Lightning strike?

It looks like there are a few sparks falling at the very start of the video. Which would make sense if there was an initial flash and then whoever started filming.

My guess is that the static wire (lightning protection at the top of the towers) failed. The initial flash was the static getting close enough to the energized lines to draw an arc. That would trigger the relays to trip the breakers at each end and remove power from the line. The relays will attempt to re-energize the line after a few seconds, because most of the time it is lightning or a tree branch. That couple of second delay allows the static to come fully into contact with the conductors, and why it basically flashes to plasma and burns away.

Those lattice towers are usually only used for very high voltages, somewhere north of 100kV. The amount of energy available during faults at those voltage levels is truly amazing/scary.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Bad Munki posted:

This seems to make complete sense and would explain why the span was glowing before suddenly lighting up like Christmas and melting.

Cythereal posted:

That would be my guess. Lightning strike hitting a telephone pole.

Beaten to this, but it wouldn't have already been glowing. Also kinda picking nits here, but that's an electrical transmission tower, it's easily more than twice the size of an average telephone pole in height alone and has four legs. So it has no phone lines on it and it's not really a pole...

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Syrian Lannister posted:

That might have been in the Poor Man's James Bond series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cxvr0f2N144

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
OSHA related:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46793916

choice quote from the article:

Dr Magdalena Edington, from Glasgow's Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, wrote the report for the December edition of BMJ Case Reports.

In it, she said: "Prescribing errors are common, and medications with similar names and packaging increase risk.

"However, it is unusual in this case that no individual, including the patient, general practitioner or dispensing pharmacist, questioned erectile dysfunction cream being prescribed to a female patient, with ocular application instructions.

"We believe this to be an important issue to report, to enhance awareness and promote safe prescribing skills."

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

spiny posted:

OSHA related:

"However, it is unusual in this case that no individual, including the patient, general practitioner or dispensing pharmacist, questioned erectile dysfunction cream being prescribed to a female patient, with ocular application instructions.

That must have made it hard to see.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

spiny posted:

OSHA related:

Dr Magdalena Edington, from Glasgow's Tennent Institute of Ophthalmology, wrote the report for the December edition of BMJ Case Reports.

In it, she said: "Prescribing errors are common, and medications with similar names and packaging increase risk.

"We believe this to be an important issue to report, to enhance awareness and promote safe prescribing skills."

I bet her vision went way up.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

spiny posted:

OSHA related:

What happens if her vision improves for more than 4 hours? :ohdear:

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

spiny posted:

OSHA related:

It turns out the patient was a snail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Memento posted:

This has been linked before and is an excellent article about the institutional momentum that contributed to the deaths of the seven astronauts on Columbia

Columbia's Last Flight

Thanks for the link, I read this all the way through before realizing it was by thread favorite William Langewiesche.