Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

see Bertolt Brecht, "The Interrogation of the Good"

he's full of poo poo anyway, the complete quote would still have been 251 characters which is well below the limit of 280.

edit: [img]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

chaser, it's not even true, the whole quote fits within the character limit
https://twitter.com/mczub/status/1082347187034443776

Even if it was correct, and that the quote was too long, it is very common practice to abbreviate words in Tweets.

What I'm saying is, Cillizza is a mtherfckr.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crows Turn Off posted:

Not really.

538 has an article here. In short, more people blamed Trump for the shutdown prior to Christmas, but the most recent poll said that more people blame the Congressional Democrats than Trump (51% to 49%).

The Democrats always get blamed for a shutdown, no matter what.

Um, no. That's not what the poll says at all. 538 is mixing poll questions in that article.

The first polls asked "who is most to blame" and the percentages quoted in the new poll are in response to "Do you approve or disapprove of the following groups’ handling of the partial government shutdown so far?"

Worth noting that the poll did ask "Who do you think is at least somewhat responsible for the partial shutdown? Select all that apply." which resulted in these numbers per the HuffPost page:

"A 51 percent majority of Americans now say Trump deserves at least some responsibility for the shutdown, with 44 percent saying Democrats in Congress bear some responsibility, and 36 percent saying that Republicans in Congress do.

The HuffPost/YouGov poll didn’t ask whom Americans consider most responsible. "

In short Rakich on 538 is being a complete disingenuous fucker.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1082347305699889157

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

eke out posted:

also lol @ the rush to declare she's definitely going back to jail. very cool

Gee, I wonder why so many people are skeptical of the justice system in this white supremacist nation? :thunk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish 60 minutes was getting more poo poo for letting the admin have the last word on trump's racism. there's a lengthy history of his racism before he was even president, this isn't something to debate.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The Presidents authority on the border is absolute and he will steal the land from the greedy Republicans to do it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

That's all he really wants anyway, the whole thing is still a TV show to him.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Written by an aide

E. Although every time I think that I remember the concise and coherent tweet he sent where he banned trans folk from the military, because I cant decide which is more unlikely: the idea that he wrote that or that he had an aide willing to do it for him.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

mcmagic posted:

There is basically nothing he can do to go below 40% heh.

Donald Trump's approval rating was below 40%, reaching as low as 36.4%, for almost nine months, from May of 2017 to February of 2018.

That might seem like a pedantic point, if the overall point is "Trump does have a floor he can't drop below", but it has already been demonstrated that that floor is below 40%. We just don't know how low.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

I must be an idiot cause I'm not getting this.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

He is going to use the unparalleled access the white house has to media in order to loudly declare democrats responsible for the shutdown in a setting they can't directly counter.

Also he'll probably read off some prepared racist remarks but the first bit is most important.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i never understood why trump's approval went up from 36. he's been worse and worse as time's gone on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theblackw0lf posted:

old weird white dudes want to speak to managers, it's known

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

i never understood why trump's approval went up from 36. he's been worse and worse as time's gone on.

Economy probably.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Oh good. We get to hear him whine about how everyone else but him sucks and how all the bad things are someone else's fault.

Whiny little prick.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

"look you may tell me my house is burning down and my flesh is melting off, but my gut feeling tells me that isn't the case despite my agony I feel and my vision shrinking as the blackness closes in"

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish 60 minutes was getting more poo poo for letting the admin have the last word on trump's racism. there's a lengthy history of his racism before he was even president, this isn't something to debate.

Every Trump voting former acquaintance of mine vehemently denied he was a racist even given the long history. They will argue this point to death.

Probably because they know on some level if they admit Trump's a racist they're admitting they're racist too.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

traffic citations don't generally count as probation violations

also lol @ the rush to declare she's definitely going back to jail. very cool

I get your thing is being all 'the law is actually very equal and never used for corrupt gains' but no dude the parole system is 90% loving people over to get them back in the prison system.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Somehow the people on the southern border are being exposed to tear gas and I, the President of the United States, plan to figure out how that is happening.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Priapus Unbound posted:

He is going to use the unparalleled access the white house has to media in order to loudly declare democrats responsible for the shutdown in a setting they can't directly counter.

Also he'll probably read off some prepared racist remarks but the first bit is most important.

So? Literally no one who isn’t already in his camp will be swayed by his amazingly persuasive rhetoric.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Groovelord Neato posted:

The 3-4% in the margins are the people who think the media constantly covering Trumps unending fuckups constitutes a giant conspiracy against poor Trump, who would do such a great job if the Tolerant Left would just stop being so mean to him.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

https://twitter.com/cillizzacnn/status/852568945982930944?lang=en

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Groovelord Neato posted:

My guess is hardening partisanship. As the midterms approached people who told themselves they were "independent" hardened into Republicans, and once they identified as Republicans, that meant supporting Trump.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

None of the networks covered Obama’s immigration talking points. They denied him after he requested time. They will all cover Trump’s. Including the empty podium.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I imagine some incredibly stupid/nearsighted people initially disapproved of him solely because they saw people around him justifiably panicking when he was elected, and then after a few months they noticed that they personally still had homes and livelihoods and decided that that meant that clearly there was never anything at all to worry about and flipped over to approving as a result.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's because there's nowhere else for it to go. 36 percent of Americans want to burn the country to the ground and establish a neo-confederacy in its place.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So? Literally no one who isn’t already in his camp will be swayed by his amazingly persuasive rhetoric.

Pants-on-head independents may be convinced, but it sure is tempting to think most people have already made up their minds after 17 days and historically high access to media. Still, there will probably be a bump in support for Trump if he doesn't gently caress up too badly.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jesus loving Christ how did this not constitute a goddamn harassment allegation :stonk:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Priapus Unbound posted:

This is different from what they've been doing how?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RandomBlue posted:

Every Trump voting former acquaintance of mine vehemently denied he was a racist even given the long history. They will argue this point to death.

Probably because they know on some level if they admit Trump's a racist they're admitting they're racist too.

you'll actually hear them say that sometimes if truly pressed. "How can you call Trump a racist? I voted for him and I'm not a racist! You're calling me a racist! I thought we were friends!"

It's a corollary of the identity politics thing. People vote for Trump because of identity politics, Trump then becomes part of their identity, personal attacks on Trump are seen as personal attacks on their own personal identity as well.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

sexpig by night posted:

I get your thing is being all 'the law is actually very equal and never used for corrupt gains' but no dude the parole system is 90% loving people over to get them back in the prison system.

And their willful blindness to this simple fact is pretty infuriating >.>

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Oh this is a great idea

https://twitter.com/normative/status/1082347691257008128

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

RandomBlue posted:

That is 100% it.

He's not subtle about it, you basically have to deny reality in order to live with it if you don't see yourself as a racist.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Priapus Unbound posted:

Pants-on-head independents may be convinced, but it sure is tempting to think most people have already made up their minds after 17 days and historically high access to media. Still, there will probably be a bump in support for Trump if he doesn't gently caress up too badly.

quote:

if he doesn’t gently caress up too badly.

Yeah about that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

and that's why 60 minutes shouldn't have given him the last word. aoc was right and barely scratched the surface of his racism. it is so frustrating that for a lot of white folks being called racist is worse than being racist.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

enraged_camel posted:

Even if it was correct, and that the quote was too long, it is very common practice to abbreviate words in Tweets.

What I'm saying is, Cillizza is a mtherfckr.

Sure obviously it was a lie even if the full quote did exceed 280 characters, because he didn't misrepresent her by accident, and even if it had been an accident that's no excuse.

But it's astounding that he can't even keep his own lie straight.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Jesus loving Christ how did this not constitute a goddamn harassment allegation :stonk:

It's stunning how often rich white people do things that would result in me being fired on the spot (if I were employed lolololol).

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I'm curious about the stalwart use of the phrase "Southern border" by Trump and the administration. I find it to be an awkward phrase, but it's being used very intentionally, and I'd love to read about why. I'm guessing it's something to do with "not sounding racist" by saying Mexican border. But they must have done some polling or something to settle on that phrase, and I really hope someone writes something about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toobly
Feb 19, 2013

I keep getting this dumb ad on my Facebook feed for Donald Trumps job performance. The only options are "Great, Good, Okay, and Other" wtf
https://action.donaldjtrump.com/rate-trumps-job-performance/