Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Now my Umineko install refuses to play any sound or music, I am cursed to never finish Ep4.

E: it's consistent across two machines, what the gently caress

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You're gonna have to recap me on your madcap setup because your issues seem to be both insane and very specific to you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

This is literally just trying to play it on a PC through Steam at this point, no sound when I try either of my two machines, even after reinstalling on one of them. It has to be some kinda funky setting for something in Steam but I can't find any settings that would deal with it at all.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Did you somehow turn down its volume in the windows audio mixer? ....on both computers?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Terper posted:

I will!

...Once it's on Steam!!

I recc'd LDM but with some reservations on how there is unnecessary MC suffering and weird ideas of proprietary for women in cities. Great localization and VA though.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Did you somehow turn down its volume in the windows audio mixer? ....on both computers?

Nope. I can crank it to max in the Windows sound mixer and it doesn't even register that there should be sound playing in the visualizer. It's nuts.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This is a real left field move but can you confirm that the audio files are even downloaded/installed? Could the PS3 patches (if you're using them) be interfering somehow?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Anyone have your saves corrupt during a game? I'm like 2 hours into Muramasa and suddenly when at the save screen my save is gone. And trying to save tosses an error. Could be because I'm using SD2Vita?

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 3, 2019

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

food court bailiff posted:

This is literally just trying to play it on a PC through Steam at this point, no sound when I try either of my two machines, even after reinstalling on one of them. It has to be some kinda funky setting for something in Steam but I can't find any settings that would deal with it at all.

It's not this is it? https://steamcommunity.com/app/639490/discussions/0/3020122487772736533/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Man, I hope so. It would be weird if that were the case since 1) the problem first manifested when I was trying to stream it to my TV, and before I even had my Steam controller turned on - it's possible something is mapped to the "m" key on the TV remote and my cat stepped on it or something but I didn't see anything like that and 2) I didn't save my game or anything after the problem started, it seems like it would be super weird for the game to store optional config stuff like that in a secret ~hidden save~ or whatever that Steam is picking up from the cloud....although I'm pretty sure the Umineko releases are pretty gnarly under the hood so who knows.

I'll give it a shot later, thanks for the heads-up either way. It's just always such a pain to search for support for stuff like this without accidentally tripping into a page of spoilers.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

More Umineko Episode 6 thoughts: I finally got the point where Battler got locked by his own logic in the locked room. That whole scene, from the start of the debate on, was really good! I'm glad to have almost caught up to the intro to this episode. I think that for me, it was a bad move to start this episode with that flash forward in that it set me up to wait until this moment, and in doing so made of some of this episode drag somewhat because I was "waiting" to catch up and see the "new" stuff beyond that intro. Erika is now more of a love to hate character for me than she was when she was first introduced, where I just didn’t like her at all.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

I didn't save my game or anything after the problem started, it seems like it would be super weird for the game to store optional config stuff like that in a secret ~hidden save~ or whatever that Steam is picking up from the cloud....although I'm pretty sure the Umineko releases are pretty gnarly under the hood so who knows.

Yeah, it's just one of the weird quirks with the umineko steam releases. Because of how the game's save files work, system settings are stored alongside with your actual game saves, so all of the obscure system settings end up in the steam cloud, even the things that don't really belong there.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

:psyduck:

Well, thank you, it was definitely muted. Weirdly enough the first time I loaded into the game the 'm' key did nothing, I really just exited out and tried once more out of desperation read: insanity and suddenly my sound was back. I'm just being cursed by the Golden Witch for taking too drat long with the question arcs.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Been a while, but leaving a trip report from my impressions from jumping into VNs for the first time ever last year.

I made the bad choice of starting with Higurashi, because my uneducated self thought "oh hey, there are 5 chapters on steam that must be the complete set!"

Looking forward to 2020+ when I can finally finish that one!

Then I jumped into The House in Fata Morgana back in July. Long story short, this was my top game experience of 2018. I suspect that might have ruined everything else in comparison.

But that's not entirely the case, because I started slowly chipping away at Umineko and ended up binging chapters 4-6 over the past month. It rules.

I have to say:
Umineko Chapter 4-6 Impressions (It's kind of a blur)
-When Maria's incantation to become best friends with your mom was recited from the grimoire, I loving lost it.
-goddamn, Erika Furudo
-GODDAMN, Erika Furudo

I've been curious to check out the below next after I finish Umineko. It's cool going in blind so I really only know titles and might have seen a screenshot. I don't know what I'm getting into or if I'm missing anything obvious:
-Kindred Spirits on the Roof
-Steins;Gate
-Danganronpa
-Clannad

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Colorspray- I'm not going to quote you to avoid Umineko spoilers here but of your next recs Steins;Gate is really good and 2/3 DanganRonpa games are mediocre-to-bad. Personally I think the third one makes up for it with how solid it is (and imho has the most memorable/fun cast) but without the first two as background knowledge the third one might not land.

They're honestly not super bad games or anything, but they're not great VNs. The plots are paper-thin excuses to get to murder mysteries, and the ending of the first one was tremendously underwhelming to the point it's kind of astounding it got a sequel/franchise at all.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Also everyone has different opinions on which of the three is the good one.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
You should also give the Zero Escape series a try.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

s;g bad. I watched the anime and I realized it was tolerable since they reduced Okabe to by -90% otherwise his constant commentary was obnoxious. I have no idea why writers thought it would be funny to hit the reader with the same joke over and over.

DR1/2 were fun mystery games with minigames with less than serious plot. They reminded me of AA and I liked both MC. Although there are some terrible humor moments where they completely lost me.

Alder fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 7, 2019

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

NRVNQSR posted:

Also everyone has different opinions on which of the three is the good one.

Both 2 and 3 are good. :colbert:

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Clannad, the anime is honestly probably better than the VN.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the only thing clannad the anime is missing is tomoyo after :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Good.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I'm biased to liking Steins;Gate (duh), but I watched the anime personally first. The most obvious distinction the VN has is its very unique art style with weird satellite rings in character eyes and everything having this weird texture I can only describe as dust shining in the sunlight or something. I also hated Okabe's antics with zeal but I guess I've grown to like the character.

Is... White Album /2 actually good? Asking because vndb rates it highly. What's the prerequisite knowledge behind them? I haven't played a single, uhh, "straight" romantic VN in my life which it looks like to be. There doesn't seem to be a reasonable way of obtaining the game legally, sadly.

edit: poo poo I can't figure if the VN has a clean all-age version and how much sexual content it has (Fate had one scene) so I guess disregard this?

Talking of highly rated VNs "obvious" recommendations would be Fate/Stay and Muv-Luv, with some uhh, caveats, especially with regards to Muv-Luv and I'm not going to be apologetic about the game. Fate/Stay isn't exactly high literature although Nasu sure likes his pretentious overly wordy prose, but none of the anime adaptations have quite captured the feel of the series in my honest opinion, there are legitimate reasons it's rated highly and why it's such a staple.

fake edit: It actually seems crazy to me there's no official translation or digital release of F/SN now that I check it. :wtc:

Dessel fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 8, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Probably not all that obvious, but 428.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
Okabe is really annoying at first but as I got farther into Steins I was okay with it

also I like Danganronpa & Zero Escape in general. I'm also not sure why anyone would not have played Phoenix Wright but it's visual novel adjacent enough so I'll remind you to play those too just in case

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Everyone here is awesome! Whatever I pick next, I'll post more detailed impressions (or not) of whatever it is. If that sort of thing is fun to read (or not).

Taking a Umineko break due to AGDQ this week, but it's cool to be going through that the same time as a few of you here.

Late news, but last night I found out that limited run games is printing an english Vita cart for The House in Fata Morgana sometime this year, which I want to pick up specifically to share with a friend who is interested but has no means to experience it for themselves.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you want to read a Key slice of life/drama VN read Little Busters over Clannad imo

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Alder posted:

s;g bad. I watched the anime and I realized it was tolerable since they reduced Okabe to by -90% otherwise his constant commentary was obnoxious. I have no idea why writers thought it would be funny to hit the reader with the same joke over and over.

:eyepop:

Um, to Colorspray: I definitely disagree with this take. Steins;Gate a very popular VN/Anime and with good reasons. It ain't perfect, but don't take this opinion for a reason to hard pass.

As for adding to the list, I believe most of these titles were already listed, but my choices for a "must play" (in no particular order):

• Fate/Stay Night - A canonically good VN turned into a popular anime, and for good reason
  • Zero Escape series - A good mystery series with good characters. Isn't perfect, but has lots of great moments
  • Muv Luv trilogy - Essentially a must play series due to Alternative's popularity. I think its overrated, but you shouldn't skip over it because of a random person on the internet's unpopular opinions
  • Ace Attorney series - Arguably not VNs, but whatever your definition, its probably best to try it out and some point and see if its your thing. If it is, you got 7 officially released games, and 2 fan translated ones, so it should keep you set for a while.

Adding to that a "conditional" list:

• Dies Irae - If you enjoyed Fate/Stay Night, this is probably up your alley. An pretty solid action VN with some flaws.
  • Long Live the Queen - A VN/Raising Sim hybrid that is fun, and has a surprising amount of depth despite its short size. After completing the game for the first time (which usually will be proceeded by many deaths), continuing to play will reveal a ton of interesting details and backroom plotting. If this sounds up your alley, check it out. It is only $10 when full price.
  • VA-11 HALL-A - This is a controversial VN in this thread, despite the general reception being positive. It doesn't really have much in the way of a plot, it is mainly focused on just hearing the jabberings of the characters that come into your bar. Generally, I would describe this as the VN equivalent to the mindless games you play to take your mind off the stress of life. Suspenseful stories can't do that. It has a great soundtrack and is a nice way to relax at the end of a day. Of course, I'm in the part of this thread that likes it. Only read it if what I described sounds appealing.

dmboogie posted:

Both 2 and 3 are good. :colbert:

This person hopes

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 8, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As somebody playing through Muv-Luv at the moment, I will warn that Extra (the first) is slow going. It's taking me a while to finish. And then I have to do another route to get to Alternative.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Ryuga Death posted:

You should also give the Zero Escape series a try.

Personally, I'd just advise playing 999 and VLR. ZTD has some strong moments, but I don't think the game as a whole stands up. Plus there's a separately release called "The Nonary Games" which just has 999 and VLR.

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
Really I think 999 stood alone as a good story - a mostly complete story once you had all the endings - and made really innovative in-game use of the mechanic where you are playing through the same scenes multiple times. Everything after that has been really headscratching in terms of what the hell is going on.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

VLR is absolutely incredible. ZTD has some moments that are really great, like the Radical-6 ending, and parts that are just absolutely, profoundly stupid, like Phi's origin, and the true reveal. Still, it's worth playing, and the team-switching narrative is implemented well. Plus, ZTD goes back to the grittier, bloodier traps from 999 without going super overboard (obviously, this is just my opinion and your mileage may vary) which was kind of fun after the goofy poison injectors from VLR. Of course, the difference in trap types is really thematic, too, although I'm not sure that was intentional.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I think VLR was the high point of the series for me but I had fun enough with ZTD even if it didn’t do everything I wanted.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ZTD is worth playing. It is a disappointing finale, but on the other hand we didn't think this game was going to get made at all so I can't complain too much

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

ZTD might be my favorite in the series, I thought it was a great conclusion.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

ZTD might be my favorite in the series, I thought it was a great conclusion.

I really, really hated it when I finally finished it, but through a couple of years of hindsight the anagram in the title and pun with the 'decision' instead of 'nonary' game have grown on me immensely.

Also, I really can't overstate how much I liked the thing I called out in my earlier post, most of my issues with the game come from everything beyond that.

Part of my problem with the game probably stems from the fact that I hit the teleporter room really, really early in my playthrough, I think. It felt super out-of-place being introduced the way it was in the puzzle room, and then it suddenly becomes the focal point of the plot leading to the True Ending, despite literally nothing else in the entire series to that point relying on ....weird interdimensional alien tech poo poo. Like, there were psychics, yeah, and that was the set up for the entire first game. Casting consciousnesses was the goal for the entire second game. The teleporter tech is just like....there, and it's McGuffinized enough that I don't think it's mentioned by anyone outside of the puzzle room itself and the ending where it comes into play. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while....but it really seemed like a total non-entity during the plot.

Also, ZTD's true ending along with 'Another Time' in VLR seem to imply that the Clover and Alice in VLR are transporter clones, and that they're going to be SHIFTed back to their unconscious bodies 45 years earlier. . . . . . . . .which, uh, according to the whole theme of ZTD's true ending, kind of means that the original Alice and Clover are going to wake up on the moon surrounded by strangers in a future where their families and friends are dead and the entire planet is destroyed. So there's that.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

I really, really hated it when I finally finished it, but through a couple of years of hindsight the anagram in the title and pun with the 'decision' instead of 'nonary' game have grown on me immensely.

Also, I really can't overstate how much I liked the thing I called out in my earlier post, most of my issues with the game come from everything beyond that.

Part of my problem with the game probably stems from the fact that I hit the teleporter room really, really early in my playthrough, I think. It felt super out-of-place being introduced the way it was in the puzzle room, and then it suddenly becomes the focal point of the plot leading to the True Ending, despite literally nothing else in the entire series to that point relying on ....weird interdimensional alien tech poo poo. Like, there were psychics, yeah, and that was the set up for the entire first game. Casting consciousnesses was the goal for the entire second game. The teleporter tech is just like....there, and it's McGuffinized enough that I don't think it's mentioned by anyone outside of the puzzle room itself and the ending where it comes into play. Maybe I'm wrong, it's been a while....but it really seemed like a total non-entity during the plot.

Also, ZTD's true ending along with 'Another Time' in VLR seem to imply that the Clover and Alice in VLR are transporter clones, and that they're going to be SHIFTed back to their unconscious bodies 45 years earlier. . . . . . . . .which, uh, according to the whole theme of ZTD's true ending, kind of means that the original Alice and Clover are going to wake up on the moon surrounded by strangers in a future where their families and friends are dead and the entire planet is destroyed. So there's that.

I always wonder if there was a more ambitious game and story they had planned but couldn't because of budget issues, which is why it has the issues it has.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

My favorite thing was how well the big twist was forshadowed. Back when I first read it, I created a huge list of things hinting at it which made me appreciate the twist way more.

The worst things for me honestly were the voice acting, which felt stilted, the escape rooms themselves, which I didn't really care for, and the fact that there weren't many new music tracks. Furthermore, the new music that we got weren't that special (IMO).

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 9, 2019

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/diary_magical/status/1082638229642399744

2019 is the year of Wolf Hall. Believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~
Damien! :argh: