Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

phasmid posted:

I can watch some of his movies for nostalgia and even though nothing he does interests me now, he's a brilliant director and pretty much only thinks about entertaining the audience. One movie I never watched was AI because it was supposed to be more of a Kubrick movie and one gets the feeling that Spielberg would have made a lot of changes and you'd be left with "this movie could have been so much better".

gently caress Spielberg generally (Schindler's List and uh a bunch of other things notwithstanding) but watch AI

It's Pinocchio but with Oedipal issues!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

phasmid posted:

One movie I never watched was AI because it was supposed to be more of a Kubrick movie and one gets the feeling that Spielberg would have made a lot of changes and you'd be left with "this movie could have been so much better".

AI makes me incredibly angry. It's obvious where Spielberg made changes for the worse.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
AI has 5 acts and is like 3 hours long and is really fuckin' boring. I felt immense relief when it was over. Nearly identical watching experience as bicentennial man with robin williams. And I love old school sci-fi mentality, I've read and loved a ton of asimov, arthur c. clark, and phillip k. dick.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Olaf The Stout posted:

AI has 5 acts and is like 3 hours long and is really fuckin' boring. I felt immense relief when it was over. Nearly identical watching experience as bicentennial man with robin williams. And I love old school sci-fi mentality, I've read and loved a ton of asimov, arthur c. clark, and phillip k. dick.

Robin Williams is in AI :science:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

syscall girl posted:

gently caress Spielberg generally (Schindler's List and uh a bunch of other things notwithstanding) but watch AI

It's Pinocchio but with Oedipal issues!

Not really sure where this mentality is coming from. First, Raiders of the Lost Ark basically gives Spielberg a pass for everything ever in my view, but he's made a lot of great popcorn movies. Yeah, his movies haven't been as good recently, but he still has a good eye and even his bad movies are still very watchable.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

Not really sure where this mentality is coming from. First, Raiders of the Lost Ark basically gives Spielberg a pass for everything ever in my view, but he's made a lot of great popcorn movies. Yeah, his movies haven't been as good recently, but he still has a good eye and even his bad movies are still very watchable.

It's just his dialogue with George Lucas re Raiders that ruined him for me

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Olaf The Stout posted:

People made fun of the EE version of LotR for having 14 endings but my god I was yelling at the screen for AI to loving END ALREADY THE END MOTHERFUCKER, SAY IT!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
That Every Frame a Painting YouTube channel had a thing on Spielberg and his extended one shot scenes. Even a dogshit movie like Always had John Goodman in a no-cut shot coordinated with a loving 747 passing overhead.

Spielberg may not be the best at any one thing, but he's probably consistently better at the movie-making process than any other director.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Krispy Wafer posted:

That Every Frame a Painting YouTube channel had a thing on Spielberg and his extended one shot scenes. Even a dogshit movie like Always had John Goodman in a no-cut shot coordinated with a loving 747 passing overhead.

Spielberg may not be the best at any one thing, but he's probably consistently better at the movie-making process than any other director.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8q4X2vDRfRk

Its a drat shame he's not making these videos any more. One of the best series for explaining the craft of cinema.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

There is very very little to criticize about Spielberg. I just pick on that one little thing. I don't like all his movies but BoB?

Saving Private Ryan scarred my young self in a good way

And Schindler's List, forget about it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I appreciate Spielberg's craftsmanship, even when he veers into sentimentality. A.I. is a great example of this; the film looks great & the story moves along well, but his focus on the unrequited love of the robot towards its mother is what sinks the movie IMO. You know that if Kubrick was directing it, the tone would've been a lot colder (and funnier).

I remember watching Ready Player One and thinking, "This movie has a dumb story but man Spielberg can direct." The spart of the movie when the heroes get to the Overlook Hotel had me go :asoiaf:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Empire of the Sun was one of my all time favorites. I tried watching it with friends and they made fun of Christian Bale the entire time and I never volunteered another opinion on movies around them again.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Android Apocalypse posted:

I appreciate Spielberg's craftsmanship, even when he veers into sentimentality. A.I. is a great example of this; the film looks great & the story moves along well, but his focus on the unrequited love of the robot towards its mother is what sinks the movie IMO. You know that if Kubrick was directing it, the tone would've been a lot colder (and funnier).

I remember watching Ready Player One and thinking, "This movie has a dumb story but man Spielberg can direct." The spart of the movie when the heroes get to the Overlook Hotel had me go :asoiaf:

Something about ready player one makes me enjoy watching it but in a weird shameful way. The movie seems to slow to a crawl anytime they leave the game world, though. I would have been more than happy with one and a half hours of cgi action and pop culture references.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gejimayu posted:

One of my favorite things about Spielberg is his respect for his actors/crew. The way he treated his child actors is 90% why he got such amazing performances in his most iconic films featuring child actors.

I recall the Home Alone kid or whoever got molested by half of Hollywood said he only trusts Steven Spielberg and Michael Jackson.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I recall the Home Alone kid or whoever got molested by half of Hollywood said he only trusts Steven Spielberg and Michael Jackson.

Are you talking about corey feldman?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Are you talking about corey feldman?

That sounds about right.

In retrospect, it seems the best argument for Michael Jackson's innocence is that if he really was a pedophile, Hollywood would have put way more effort into covering it up.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Corey Feldman’s autobiography trips balls. The man is completely delusional about almost everything except child molestation. On that subject he should probably be leading a multinational task force and be considered an expert.

He’s especially delusional about his music. Holy poo poo his album on Spotify.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Corey Feldman’s autobiography trips balls. The man is completely delusional about almost everything except child molestation. On that subject he should probably be leading a multinational task force and be considered an expert.

He’s especially delusional about his music. Holy poo poo his album on Spotify.

He's hosed up enough in the head that he did a whole "Don't bully me" campaign when everyone pointed out how lovely his music is, and yet the contracts he makes his "Corey's Angels" sign are loving gross. They're restricted as to what kind of clothing they wear and food they eat, they can't hang around other men, and they have to submit themselves to being "teachable"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

If we're talking about Spielberg, Duel is his first film and even on a TV movie budget it's still fantastic.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh drat. Just realized when thanos gets axed and ports out, there's tiny little green dots around the wound showing he used the time stone to fix it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh drat. Just realized when thanos gets axed and ports out, there's tiny little green dots around the wound showing he used the time stone to fix it.

It is actually a good thing that insane nerds have grown up to the point where they get gigs on this stuff

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

phasmid posted:

I can watch some of his movies for nostalgia and even though nothing he does interests me now, he's a brilliant director and pretty much only thinks about entertaining the audience. One movie I never watched was AI because it was supposed to be more of a Kubrick movie and one gets the feeling that Spielberg would have made a lot of changes and you'd be left with "this movie could have been so much better".

When David finally meets the blue fairy, stop watching. If you see frozen seas, you've watched too much.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
AI was a film with a rich and varied world backstory and incredible visuals that really makes you think about what happens to your Tamagotchi after you get tired of it.

The scene where he tries to eat food freaked me out.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I think The Big Lebowski's denouement has a subtle effect. It's the end of the story, and the filmmakers are gently easing you out of movieland. The scene starts with a guy making a perfect strike, and then the narrator returns and break the fourth wall to remind you that it's just a story. And then after a relatively long single-shot take (2:43), the camera tracks over and gazes on a bowler just stroll up and casually nail another perfect strike.

It's not just a perfect aesthetic end to the film; the length of the take combined with the perfect strikes might also make people snap back to reality to awe at how hard it must have been for the creators to get that shot right. The narrator's return and the stunts combine to gracefully eject the viewer from movieland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwbKkNUyE64

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There are so many subtle moments in The Big Lebowski it's goddamned ridiculous. Remember how The Dude hates the band The Eagles? Check out what song is playing in the background of the scene where their arch rival Jesus is introduced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWz8NGIisMo

Also Donny is the only one of the three who ever wears a bowling shirt to the bowling alley (The Dude wears one when they're scattering Donny's ashes, probably as a memorial to him), but he wears a different bowling shirt in every scene and it always has someone else's name embroidered on it:

Also Donny always bowls a perfect strike except for the very last time he bowls, and immediately after that he sits down and starts rubbing his bowling arm like it's aching. Moments later he has a heart attack.

Remember the crazy dream sequence where all sorts of random weird poo poo happens, like Saddam Hussein handing him his bowling shoes and Maude is dressed as a Valkyrie with a trident?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z92bykaeV4o
.... except almost none of it is random, pretty much everything is a callback to something from earlier in the film

quote:

Nearly all of the visible symbols in The Dude's second dream sequence are taken from earlier scenes: The initial scene of The Dude's exaggerated walking while casting a big shadow is similar to his landlord's interpretive dance to "Pictures at an Exhibition"; the black and white tiled floor is seen earlier in the Big Lebowski's entry way when The Dude walks with Brandt, and again at the end; the tool belt and workman outfit The Dude is seen wearing is identical to the one worn by Karl Hungus (Peter Stormare) in Logjammin'; Saddam Hussein, who is standing behind the counter, is mentioned briefly by Walter in the car outside the bowling alley, we hear President George H.W. Bush comment on the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait, and in the opening credits, we see a man looking a bit similar to Saddam spraying the bowling shoes at the alley; Maude's gold bowling ball bra cups are taken from bowling balls seen on the rack behind Walter in an earlier scene at the bowling alley; Maude Lebowski's trident is from a statue at The Big Lebowski's house; the red-on-black bowling ball is the same as the one in the earlier dream sequence and is also visible on the rack behind Walter and The Dude at the bowling alley; the topless girl falling through a black frame is almost the same shot that opened the scene in which The Dude shows up at Jackie Treehorn's party; the scissors wielded by the red-clad nihilists are seen in a painting with a red background on Maude's wall.

It's also the only scene in the entire movie where you see The Dude actually bowling and even then Maude was the one holding the ball, The Dude is just guiding her arm.

This is just scratching the surface, there's so much more

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Jan 10, 2019

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

minato posted:

I think The Big Lebowski's denouement has a subtle effect. It's the end of the story, and the filmmakers are gently easing you out of movieland. The scene starts with a guy making a perfect strike, and then the narrator returns and break the fourth wall to remind you that it's just a story. And then after a relatively long single-shot take (2:43), the camera tracks over and gazes on a bowler just stroll up and casually nail another perfect strike.

It's not just a perfect aesthetic end to the film; the length of the take combined with the perfect strikes might also make people snap back to reality to awe at how hard it must have been for the creators to get that shot right. The narrator's return and the stunts combine to gracefully eject the viewer from movieland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwbKkNUyE64

Also, the dude who nails the strikes isnt just ANY dude he was/is a professional bowler and was the technical advisor for all of the bowling in the film. I saw an interview with Bridges/Goodman/Buscemi and they said he would always hit the strike. Every single take.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Asher

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

It would be especially cool if they used timeline vignettes for What If comedy bits.

e: if it turned out that, say, they've been secretly filming those for the past ten years along with all the movies, which it won't, I'd be forced to take back some of the more unkind things I've said about these movies.

To build on this (there’s no way in hell they’d do this) but I’d love to see an Alternative reality Avengers pop up in a scene and each character is played by the actors who almost got the role I.e. Tom Cruise as Iron Man, Glenn Howerton as Starlord and Joaquin Phoenix as Strange to name a few

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

gently caress me I watched The Big Lebowski just this weekend and was just like haha he's drinking another White Russian, hilarious

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popeahuntis posted:

To build on this (there’s no way in hell they’d do this) but I’d love to see an Alternative reality Avengers pop up in a scene and each character is played by the actors who almost got the role I.e. Tom Cruise as Iron Man, Glenn Howerton as Starlord and Joaquin Phoenix as Strange to name a few

I'd like a live action Spiderverse movie with the previous Spider-Men. Tobey Maguire, Andrew Garfield, Nicholas Hammond and Shinki Todo all teaming up with Tom Holland to fight... something. Whatever it is, it would grow into a giant monster at the end so Japanese Spider-Man can call on Leopardon to save the day.

Oh, and there's a funny scene where they meet their equivalents from our world, who are just the actors as themselves.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sunswipe posted:

Oh, and there's a funny scene where they meet their equivalents from our world, who are just the actors as themselves.

So...Last Action Hero then?

I was disappointed that in Spider-Verse, (very minor spoilers not even going to hide) they didn't make 'current' universe Spider-Man from the Tobey McGuire storylines and alternate universe 40-year old Spider-Man from the Andrew Garfield one. They both seem to be the same kind of Spider-Men, just older and younger.

Also Spider-Man Noir is pretty cheap on Kindle and is really good.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Imagined posted:

I really have a hard time putting my finger on why the retroactive millennial Freddie Mercury worship bugs me. You see lots of teenagers online tripping over themselves to proclaim how much their peers' music sucks and how Queen was "real music". Freddie was a fabulous frontman and a very entertaining and supremely talented singer. Queen were a fun band. But they were neither particularly original nor substantive. There's a place for that, but the kids who worship them don't seem to also appreciate any other classic music. Just Queen.

The criteria that would rate Queen the best band ever seem to dovetail significantly with the values of a generation who grew up on American Idol, X-Factor, America's Got Talent, etc. Showmanship and virtuosity and entertainment. Bread and circuses. A mile wide and an inch deep.

I dunno, I like "Don't Stop Me Now" and "Show Must Go On". They've got some great songs. But they're not in any way better, to me, than T. Rex, David Bowie, Elton John, Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Talking Heads, or the Clash, or any number of other 60s-70s bands that aren't the subject of a million memes by the youths.

Ogre battle,march of the black queen,take my breath away,great king rat, are the best queen songs,everything else is great to not great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

My Lovely Horse posted:

gently caress me I watched The Big Lebowski just this weekend and was just like haha he's drinking another White Russian, hilarious

Hey man, those drinks really tied the movie together. When we first see The Dude he's making a late night supermarket run to buy a carton of half-and-half which was obviously for his White Russians. Later in the film Maude was also out of cream so The Dude had to resort to using powdered creamer when he was mixing his drink.

Something else which I only just noticed: the first few shots of the film are of a tumbleweed blowing in from the hills, passing through LA and ending up at the sea. At one point it rolls down the centre of the boulevard, just like a bowling ball rolling down a lane:

Also I'm pretty sure the uniforms that are worn by the dancing girls in the dream sequence are a callback to the colour scheme in the bowling alley, specifically the ball return machines:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really appreciate the subtle stuff but I'll be damned if the scene with Donny's ashes isn't the funniest loving thing I've ever seen in a cinema.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've started watching this movie a few times and I just don't get it. My wife was taken to see it in a big theatre by her job and she doesn't get it either.

What are we missing?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

I've started watching this movie a few times and I just don't get it. My wife was taken to see it in a big theatre by her job and she doesn't get it either.

What are we missing?

A sense of humor?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

What are we missing?

I'm a big Coen brothers fan and I readily admit to not getting some of their films. Big Lebowski was a movie I had to watch a couple of times to enjoy. Fargo was the same. I still don't like Barton Fink.

I think the problem is for all their similar themes the movies are very different. You can't go into Fargo expecting Raising Arizona. It's a different kind of comedy. I hated Buster Scruggs the first time I saw it, but it grew on me after a few viewings. About the only films I liked on the first viewing were Raising Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy, and No Country for Old Men. If I can get through 4 or 5 viewings of Ladykillers I might eventually like that film too.

EDIT: there appears to be an underlining cruelty to Coen brothers movies. I think that's what throws me off if I'm not expecting it or can't reconcile it with the humor.

Krispy Wafer has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Jan 10, 2019

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

What are we missing?

The jokes?

If you don't like it that's :thumbsup:

Everyone doesn't have to like everything

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

I'm a big Coen brothers fan and I readily admit to not getting some of their films. Big Lebowski was a movie I had to watch a couple of times to enjoy. Fargo was the same. I still don't like Barton Fink.

I think the problem is for all their similar themes the movies are very different. You can't go into Fargo expecting Raising Arizona. It's a different kind of comedy. I hated Buster Scruggs the first time I saw it, but it grew on me after a few viewings. About the only films I liked on the first viewing were Raising Arizona, Hudsucker Proxy, and No Country for Old Men. If I can get through 4 or 5 viewings of Ladykillers I might eventually like that film too.

EDIT: there appears to be an underlining cruelty to Coen brothers movies. I think that's what throws me off if I'm not expecting it or can't reconcile it with the humor.

Buster Scruggs was a mean movie.

I tried to defend it re: Tom Waits the Prospector

He had a good-ish outcome. The woman on the Oregon Trail should have played the game first to see what her likely outcome was.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krispy Wafer posted:

That might be why we don't like literally every movie you listed, so thanks for the revelation. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

Big Coen brothers fan who is either mystified by or actively dislikes their best movies. Interesting