Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

aphid_licker posted:

How is every page itt this insane now. The fake Leonardo pic being investigated by Mueller is already nuts, and the foot fetishist quotes are loving fever dream material.

I think what's happening is a combination of the death of expertise and the rise of alt-right memewarriors caused by Trump and Twitter.

In terms of the government, poo poo is breaking that never even used to break in the past. In almost all instances, having an administration with even borderline competency makes these gently caress-ups never see the light of day. There are new gently caress-ups every day, in every corner of government, just because they're just not good at government.

In terms of the memes of production, because Trump was declared to be Good At Twitter (he's not), and his use of such got him elected (maybe?), his followers have basically decided that social media is now the Republic of Kekistan. That's leading to all of the shittiest people in the country/world slinging poo poo at the walls to try to get in on those sweet, sweet grift dollars. Or you know, there's a mouthy bitch in Congress and it's time to put that oval office in her place because she won't suck my cock, the whore.

Put that poo poo in a blender and suddenly Insane Clown Posse furries are the #1 defender of America against neonazis. There's a line connecting the points, but holy gently caress it's full of squiggles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Painting thing seems like bullshit

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Its so they can bill the patient for a massive amount as well as the insurance company. ie; say a typical insurance negotiated rate for something is $10,000. The hospital charges the patient $30k. Insurance pays the hospital $10k because thats what they believe the fair rate for it is. The hospital now goes after the patient for the remaining balance of $20k.

By not accepting any insurance they can just balance bill everyone.

what in the gently caress

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Some of the comments are saying he's been fired by MAG Aerospace, the contractor that does that. Chances are he was an army Blackhawk crew chief prior to being a contractor. Also the number of "it's a joke you leftist crybaby snowflakes" comments replying to that tweet, as well as those just voicing support, is insane and really makes me sad.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Your missing the essential quote to that:

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1082351618119659521

She specifically apologizes and says she was wrong. Washington Post's Fact Check guy chose to openly leave that out to make it seem like she was saying something else.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Some of the comments are saying he's been fired by MAG Aerospace, the contractor that does that. Chances are he was an army Blackhawk crew chief prior to being a contractor. Also the number of "it's a joke you leftist crybaby snowflakes" comments replying to that tweet, as well as those just voicing support, is insane and really makes me sad.

Some are good.

https://twitter.com/JerkVladimir/status/1044070688418553858?s=20

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Your missing the essential quote to that:

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1082351618119659521

She specifically apologizes and says she was wrong. Washington Post's Fact Check guy chose to openly leave that out to make it seem like she was saying something else.

I'm talking specifically about her response to AC where she basically says being wrong doesn't matter because the ends justify the means and Trump does it too.

e: It's only after AC calls her out on that that she backtracks. She doesn't apologize for being wrong.

COOPER: But being factually correct is important--

OCASIO-CORTEZ: It’s absolutely important. And whenever I make a mistake. I say, “Okay, this was clumsy,” and then I restate what my point was. But it’s -- it’s not the same thing as -- as the president lying about immigrants. It’s not the same thing at all.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 7, 2019

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

I'm talking specifically about her response to AC where she basically says being wrong doesn't matter because the ends justify the means and Trump does it too.

I'm gonna disagree. She's specifically saying that the facts may not be immediately present at the time, and that she is fully willing to admit when called out on it, leaving out her last sentence makes it appear like justifying Trump's alternate facts, but she openly says that when called out she'd apologize.

It completely changes the tone of what she said.

psydude posted:

e: It's only after AC calls her out on that that she backtracks.

Its the same sentence. When did he call her out on it?

Let's also be honest: AC Anderson openly was shocked when AOC called Trump a racist. why?
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a25775496/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-trump-racist-anderson-cooper/

e: Edited above sentence to reflect reality. My bad.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 7, 2019

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

That loving flag always blows my mind because it's a literal Nazi war ensign but green

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

psydude posted:

It's political and she owned the mistake. I don't know what the original misifgure was but this seems pretty appropriate?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Funny you would say that.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/us/federal-contract-worker-without-pay-cnntv/index.html

quote:

Washington (CNN)As government workers across the country figure out ways to pay the bills during the government shutdown, one contract employee says she set up a GoFundMe account to help pay her expenses during the unpaid period.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

It's political and she owned the mistake. I don't know what the original misifgure was but this seems pretty appropriate?

She wildly misrepresented some numbers regarding the Pentagon's accounting and got dinged for it. But that isn't really the issue.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

She wildly misrepresented some numbers regarding the Pentagon's accounting and got dinged for it. But that isn't really the issue.

But is she really wrong? You mean the same Pentagon that basically under an immense audit for squandering funds? Like $21 Trillion in funds?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e^: The article she's referencing refers specifically to accounting errors, not $21T in wasted money. From the fact checker article:

Regardless, in the situation Skidmore is describing, the $21 trillion is not one big pot of dormant money collecting dust somewhere. It’s the sum of all transactions — both inflows and outflows — for which the Defense Department did not have adequate documentation. “The same dollar could be accounted for many times,” as Philip Klein wrote in the Washington Examine

. . .

After this fact check was published, Pentagon spokesman Christopher Sherwood said “DoD hasn’t received $21 trillion in (nominal) appropriated funding across the entirety of American history

CommieGIR posted:

I'm gonna disagree. She's specifically saying that the facts may not be immediately present at the time, and that she is fully willing to admit when called out on it, leaving out her last sentence makes it appear like justifying Trump's alternate facts, but she openly says that when called out she'd apologize.

It completely changes the tone of what she said.

Its the same sentence. When did he call her out on it?

Let's also be honest: AC Anderson openly was shocked when AOC called Trump a racist. why?
https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a25775496/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-trump-racist-anderson-cooper/

e: Edited above sentence to reflect reality. My bad.

I'm not quite sure we're debating the same point here. I'm taking issue with the fact that she states that being factually wrong is perfectly fine as long as you're doing it for the right reasons, specifically when the president already does it for far worse things.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 7, 2019

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The White House said this number was 4,000.

Missed it by *thiiiiiis* much.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1082386871781601280?s=19

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

CommieGIR posted:

But is she really wrong? You mean the same Pentagon that basically under an immense audit for squandering funds? Like $21 Trillion in funds?

It wasn't $21 trillion in misspent funds, it was $21 trillion in crap bookkeeping.

In an overly simplistic example, if your 5.56 budget ends up running out too early but you have plenty in the 7.62 budget, moving $1 million from the 7.62 budget to the 5.56 budget creates a $2 million discrepancy.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
well its good to see centrists have moved on from 'a representative said motherfucker' to 'AOC is cancelled'

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like that expecting the Democratic party and its elected candidates to walk the walk with respect to not doing the same bullshit as Republicans somehow makes me a centrist.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

I like that expecting the Democratic party and its elected candidates to walk the walk with respect to not doing the same bullshit as Republicans somehow makes me a centrist.

We tried "when you go low, we go high"

Trump is president.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Misquoting someone to make it look worse, and then being more stringent on that person than you have been on the sitting US President and his Press Secretary is the issue.

CNN has openly been more stringent on AOC that it has on the entire Administration. And she's only been in Congress a couple weeks

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

We tried "when you go low, we go high"

Trump is president.

Relying on bullshit facts is different from rolling over due to decorum. You can't call your opponents out when they're full of poo poo if you're full of poo poo yourself.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I can't help but feel that this whole Pentagon thing was an elaborate gotcha.

How many misleading headlines did we see about this making it sound like the Pentagon had blown $21 trillion on video games and bubble gum?

Then someone prominent runs with it and suddenly they're tripping over themselves to correct the misconceptions they created.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

psydude posted:

wildly≠willfully.

I mean if she was willfully going around saying false poo poo because the ends justify the means, she'd be in the wrong, but I get what she means by saying that sometimes people misspeak when they're trying to make a point.

She's not in the wrong here, she owned up to her error but her point still stands.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Misquoting someone to make it look worse, and then being more stringent on that person than you have been on the sitting US President and his Press Secretary is the issue.

CNN has openly been more stringent on AOC that it has on the entire Administration. And she's only been in Congress a couple weeks

I don't know why you keep bringing the CNN article into this. The exchange is literally in a video, and the article I linked wasn't CNN.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

psydude posted:

Relying on bullshit facts is different from rolling over due to decorum. You can't call your opponents out when they're full of poo poo if you're full of poo poo yourself.

The fact checker calling her out specifically said he didn't include the quote because he ran out of Twitter space.

People openly demonstrated he lied. So why did he leave the quote out unless he had a motive to reframe her claims.

THATS the issue.

psydude posted:

I don't know why you keep bringing the CNN article into this. The exchange is literally in a video, and the article I linked wasn't CNN.

The article is about the video.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

She's great and I love her

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

The fact checker calling her out specifically said he didn't include the quote because he ran out of Twitter space.

People openly demonstrated he lied. So why did he leave the quote out unless he had a motive to reframe her claims.

THATS the issue.

The article is about the video.

Chris Cilliza isn't the fact checker. The fact checker in question was the Washington Post, which analyzed her tweet and the article that it referenced. CNN wasn't involved in any way, and the AC interview question referenced it specifically.

Whether or not CNN conveniently left something out of their article has nothing to do with the original fact checking. And the article that I linked in my original post wasn't the CNN article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/04/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-trillion-mistake/?utm_term=.de74408e1185

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 7, 2019

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The fact that you're even bothering to argue "Person who admits to making mistake just as bad as person outright lying" means you're a hack hiding behind "Gosh, we can't have our politicians saying untrue things, then we'd be just as bad as the Republicans!".

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1082372063866834944

The media is complicit in this. By equivocating her self-admitted mistake on numbers with anything the Trump regime does, you're dismissing her without ever having to think of considering policy.

To be fair, you've always argued :decorum: and never once touched policy anyway so I don't know why I'm expecting better.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
ITT, deliberately lying and being evil is the same as counting wrong and then apologizing.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The amount I care about AOC - a junior Congresscritter - messing up stats is close to nonexistent. Especially since she has a good response. This won't be news in a day and it shouldn't be major news to begin with. So what?

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

ITT, deliberately lying and being evil is the same as counting wrong and then apologizing.

Not an empty quote.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

The Iron Rose posted:

The amount I care about AOC - a junior Congresscritter - messing up stats is close to nonexistent. Especially since she has a good response. This won't be news in a day and it shouldn't be major news to begin with. So what?

Yeah but she's hot

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

redneck nazgul posted:

The fact that you're even bothering to argue "Person who admits to making mistake just as bad as person outright lying" means you're a hack hiding behind "Gosh, we can't have our politicians saying untrue things, then we'd be just as bad as the Republicans!".

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1082372063866834944

The media is complicit in this. By equivocating her self-admitted mistake on numbers with anything the Trump regime does, you're dismissing her without ever having to think of considering policy.

I took issue with her statement that people were focusing too much on facts. That's not quite the same as saying she's as bad as Trump.

quote:

To be fair, you've always argued :decorum: and never once touched policy anyway so I don't know why I'm expecting better.

I never bother discussing policy in this thread because we're all pretty much in agreement on things like UHC, gun control, and immigrant child concentration camps.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

psydude posted:

Chris Cilliza isn't the fact checker. The fact checker in question was the Washington Post, which analyzed her tweet and the article that it referenced. CNN wasn't involved in any way, and the AC interview question referenced it specifically.

Whether or not CNN conveniently left something out of their article has nothing to do with the original fact checking. And the article that I linked in my original post wasn't the CNN article.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/12/04/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-trillion-mistake/?utm_term=.de74408e1185

You've taken the better part of a page to say nothing in particular. Here's something else:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/gabon-coup-attempt-foiled-190107131011483.html

A minor coup in Gabon was foiled earlier today as the government rounded up 9 military members who briefly took over a radio station. It was a nice try. Gabon is small and its leader Ali Bongo is basically a French puppet but he's also 59 and in remarkably poor shape, so the instability will likely continue over time. It's also right next to the Democratic Republic of Congo, which just held elections for the first time in a while and is currently an absolute powderkeg shitshow. If the elections succeed, it'll be the first peaceful transition of power in DRC since 1960 (the Belgians hosed that country up hardcore). Here's an article about that: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-46774950

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Welp send more advisors to AFRICOM I guess. :v:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

Yeah but she's hot

Remember when I said making a cult of personality around politicians was bad? Objectification is part of that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Won't be news in a day in the mainstream. Fox and Breitbart will probably still be talking about it in a month.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

EBB posted:

Remember when I said making a cult of personality around politicians was bad? Objectification is part of that.

Just what someone who isn't hot would say.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

Welp send more advisors to AFRICOM I guess. :v:

Coincidentally enough we had 80 dudes in Gabon while the poo poo was going down, but they were there for the poo poo going down in Congo. https://www.stripes.com/news/us-troops-in-gabon-remain-focused-on-congo-despite-local-coup-attempt-1.563461 It's confusing to everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

Just what someone who isn't hot would say.

Watch it, he looks like a movie star