Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I'll take the high frontier stuff, please!

the game, the poster, or both?

Bloody Pancreas posted:

Mind if I nab those Dungeon Petz pets? I'll PM u my address.

yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Naturally I made a list, texted it to my friend who insisted he would buy the next game and he ran out and bought Empires: Age of Discovery which no one recommended but has a cool looking box. In his defense, it does look like something we might like.

At least I'll have a list for If Empires is no good.

Trynant posted:

Not sure which "that guy" fits the bill for "don't play Archipelago with," if it's AP then I don't think Archipelago is any worse than what you've listed. If it's "I'm going to make jokes about the black meeple chasing the white meeple" guy, then ... well yeah I can't blame you for passing on that.

I've heard Archipelago lets one player tank the game if they want to and not to play it with an rear end in a top hat who will decide third place for them means everyone should lose and it's time to roll the dice and see if there's a traitor. We've got a guy who will spot that right away and tank game after game.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Huxley posted:

Did that expansion to Cave vs Cave ever come out?

The vendor I've pre-ordered it from says end of January, in the UK at least. I think it's already available in Europe, just something holding up the international distribution.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I've heard Archipelago lets one player tank the game if they want to and not to play it with an rear end in a top hat who will decide third place for them means everyone should lose and it's time to roll the dice and see if there's a traitor. We've got a guy who will spot that right away and tank game after game.

They can tank the game if the leaders do nothing. Everyone can contribute to prevent tanking. The trick makes the game interesting: you don’t want to appear to be in the lead or if you are, make sure your lead is strong so you can afford the resource drain. In either way, it’s a fascinating rubber banding mechanic that places the onus on the players to enforce.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Empires is really good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah it's the latest version of that aoe3 game right? Quality game.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

silvergoose posted:

Yeah it's the latest version of that aoe3 game right? Quality game.

That's Empires: Age of Discovery which doesn't get talked about much but is a good euro-y game that can get fairly mean, especially with 5 players competing on the map. In fact 4-5 is probably about the ideal number for that game. It would probably go down real well with a group that likes Twilight Imperium, Eclipse, and Advanced Civ.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

That isn't possible in Archipelago for a number of reasons. First and foremost is that only one of the point scoring conditions is public and each player knows only one of the others. Unless your guy deliberately isn't even trying to fulfill the possible victory conditions he won't even know if he's in third. And if he is intentionally playing to lose, which should be quite obvious, you should invite him to gently caress off after the first game.

Second, the existence of the Separatist is a spoiler to douchebag tactics. Tanking isn't even a good tactic for the Separatist, because it's not actually possible for one player to tank the game if all of the others are determined to keep it afloat. The Separatist wins more often by building as much as he can and using this as an excuse for not contributing to crises. He wants to keep unrest close enough that one good push while the markets are empty could send it over, while at the same time scoring points from other peoples' objectives in case the revolt doesn't happen. So all tanking for douchebaggery achieves is ensuring that you don't win.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Known Lecher posted:

That's Empires: Age of Discovery which doesn't get talked about much but is a good euro-y game that can get fairly mean, especially with 5 players competing on the map. In fact 4-5 is probably about the ideal number for that game. It would probably go down real well with a group that likes Twilight Imperium, Eclipse, and Advanced Civ.

Yeah see top of this page, apparently someone in the group went off and bought it without any recommendations. Lucky!

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Whoops, I missed that in the chat about Mare Nostrum Empires. Fortunate choice for them!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Don’t mistake that game for the recent wizkids Empires game, which is a much lighter but also much worse trading/negotiation game than thread standbys sidereal confluence/JOCo.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Gutter Owl posted:

Wife and I are clearing out some furniture to put on the curb, and we ended up disturbing the top sedimentary layer of random board game garbage in the house. Which means it's time for the First Annual Maybe? Please Make It Go Away Giveaway~!

The Resistance: Avalon w/ Lancelot & Excalibur Promos

Recently picked up a KS copy of OG Resistance in a trade, and the Arthurian theme doesn't do much for me.

Not sure of the shipping cost. It'll fit in a Medium Flat Rate ($13.65), but I think I can get cheaper by weight.

I’ll take Avalon.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

T-Bone posted:

All Aboard Games has it: http://www.all-aboardgames.com/home/yasutaka-ikeda-s-1889

They're pricey but the production is good (for an 18xx anyway) and they ship quickly.

Thanks for the tip, I like DIY stuff but I think I'd much rather just buy 1889.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
In the coming days I'll be getting

Crusaders Thy Will Be Done
Beta Colony
Stephenson's Rocket with expansion maps (mostly for the maps really)
New Frontiers

Thoughts? Mistakes?? :)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mayveena posted:

In the coming days I'll be getting

Beta Colony
Stephenson's Rocket with expansion maps (mostly for the maps really)
New Frontiers

Thoughts? Mistakes?? :)

Probably. I'm only a few days out from The City of Kings: Ancient Allies and I haven't finished playing the base game yet though, so at least you're not alone.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Mayveena posted:

A pretty interesting Euro race with a surprising amount of variability due to the rondel setup. Strangely, the map does not account for the number of players. Only the number of VPs to trigger end of game changes with player count. This means the game is far more interactive at four players than at two players. The theme is pasted on, so don't expect anything related to the actual Crusades.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jan 6, 2019

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

golden bubble posted:

A pretty interesting Euro race with a surprising amount of variability due to the rondel setup. Strangely, the map does not account for the number of players. Only the number of VPs to trigger end of game changes with player count. This means the game is far more interactive at four players than at two players. The theme is pasted on, so don't expect anything related to the actual Crusades.

Agree.
Also found it a lot simpler than I expected it to be based on their past euro offerings in Orleans, Yokohama, etc., but our group enjoyed it quite a bit still. 3 players + teaching only took about an hour, so if nothing else it's nice and quick.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Any beginner tips/common rule mistakes for Twilight Struggle? My BGG secret santa got it for me because my main gaming partner is my wife. She's a History major and will know a lot more about the historical events than me, but she's usually not too into complicated games. The heaviest game she's been into is Gloomhaven, but I ran all the enemies and checked the outlier rules when needed. I've skimmed the rules to TS and it seems a bit obstruse... We're down for a couple learning games though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

In terms of rules its not too bad outside of the occasional edge case (one tho g tjat still gets me is the requirement for domination needing both a non bg and a majority of countries total) The big deal is getting a grip on the flow of the game and knowing what the big events are in each period. Soviet are generally easier but also have the initiative so they need to know what they re doing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Don’t suicide with defcon. Probably the biggest noob trap.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

To be clear that is both anything that degrades defcon or anything that lets your opponent coup a battleground* on your turn, regardless of whose decision or card it was.

*other rules still apply, like nuke subs or not having valid coup targets will prevent it

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Gejimayu posted:

Any beginner tips/common rule mistakes for Twilight Struggle? My BGG secret santa got it for me because my main gaming partner is my wife. She's a History major and will know a lot more about the historical events than me, but she's usually not too into complicated games. The heaviest game she's been into is Gloomhaven, but I ran all the enemies and checked the outlier rules when needed. I've skimmed the rules to TS and it seems a bit obstruse... We're down for a couple learning games though.

-Make sure you know the rules for scoring (Presence/Domination/Control) inside and out. Remember, each player figures out which of those conditions they meet. You only count the strongest one (so, if you have achieved Domination of a region, you don't get the points for having Presence). Domination requires owning at least one non-Battleground, while Control does not. Don't forget the bonus points for battlegrounds and enemy adjacency, they add up.
-In order to play the game properly, you both need to know all the cards (or at least, all the cards in the Early and Mid War parts of the deck). Your first couple of games will involve a fair bit of blind wandering. Hopefully it'll all even out.
-At the end of each turn, you'll have between 0 and 2 cards left in your hand. These stay in your hand, unless you have that one space-race perk that lets you discard. It's possible to have a single card sit in your hand for the entire game.

These aren't rules per se, but in a normal game of TS:
-Both players will coup aggressively and often. It's common for the Soviet player to use their first action of every turn to coup a battleground, and knock Defcon back down to 2.
-Realignments are a fairly niche maneuvre; they can be powerful, but you won't do them as often as just placing influence/couping.
-While some players contend that the Space Race is worth it for its own sake, the dominant view for a long time was that its main value is giving the player a means to get rid of bad cards.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
and if you decide to go all the way down the rabbit hole, https://twilightstrategy.com/ is still a valuable resource, even if it's a little outdated. (the site predates the release of the online game, which led to the explosion of the novel and aggressive Sankt Strategy.)

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Gutter Owl posted:

and if you decide to go all the way down the rabbit hole, https://twilightstrategy.com/ is still a valuable resource, even if it's a little outdated. (the site predates the release of the online game, which led to the explosion of the novel and aggressive Sankt Strategy.)

That’s basically “All the VP ASAP”, right?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Fat Samurai posted:

That’s basically “All the VP ASAP”, right?
More or less, but it's a bit more subtle than going for all VPs all the time.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Beizer games is making a collector's edition for Suburbia. It looks really nice, but I'm not willing to shell out $100 for Suburbia, even with three expansions included and a special organizer in the box.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Beizer games is making a collector's edition for Suburbia. It looks really nice, but I'm not willing to shell out $100 for Suburbia, even with three expansions included and a special organizer in the box.

The game plus the two existing expansions would be more than $100. It's a great deal if you like Suburbia and don't own it.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

I like Suburbia, but I only played the app version. I really like how the app does all the calculations for you when determining the costs and benefits of getting a tile. I can't imagine wanting to do that over and over in the physical version.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

medchem posted:

I like Suburbia, but I only played the app version. I really like how the app does all the calculations for you when determining the costs and benefits of getting a tile. I can't imagine wanting to do that over and over in the physical version.

As you suspect, it is incredibly tedious.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That’s funny, I just added Suburbia to my trade pile last night.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

It looks like a nice enough production, and I enjoyed Suburbia the times I've played it, but theres no way I'm giving Bezier money after the whole Oink thing.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Mad King Ludwig is the superior take on the mechanisms, anyway.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

El Fideo posted:

And Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig is even more superior

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

That is just blatantly false. Square rooms good, weird rooms better!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

El Fideo posted:

Eh. The price setting is good but the actual tile laying and town building feels much more involved (for better or worse) in Suburbia. I’m trading it away because the income/popularity tracks leads to a very easily discovered strategy and makes repeat games far too similar but the actual tile laying is still some of the best I’ve seen.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

medchem posted:

Yeah, the guy I game with sold his copy of Suburbia and both expansions because the app is just better and we never played it in person any more.

It's a solid game but it's got a lot of fiddly to track.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
I just went to check out the Suburbia app on the iOS store and it's got more 1-star ratings than anything else. A lot of them look pretty old though. Has the app been through updates lately?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I havent played it yet but NEOM from lookout games mixes 7 wonders like drafting with city builing elements.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Ladies and Lords, and those that lyeth betwixt, the Great Houses of Westeros require your leadership!

Still need 2 players for pbp of Game of Thrones. Newbies and veterans alike are welcome :) !

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878935

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

wizzardstaff posted:

I just went to check out the Suburbia app on the iOS store and it's got more 1-star ratings than anything else. A lot of them look pretty old though. Has the app been through updates lately?

I've been playing it a bunch oevr the past few weeks and it's working fine, though it's got none of the expansions except for a couple of promo ones.