Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're already getting called out for saying a brown woman standing up for herself is having a "meltdown" right?

JFC the different standards

I have high standards for her. I want her to act more like "gently caress it, I got work to do. I don't have time for this."

e: please look at my dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I thought AOC was getting disproportionate attention because she got her seat but crushing one of the most powerful D's in Congress in the primary.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tayter Swift posted:

WaPo is reporting that the White Houseis making arrangements to have tax refunds go through. IRS folk will be unfurloughed.

This timeline is so stupid that in a few months every department and branch of the government will be unfurloguhed/backpaid/etc. due to special arrangements but still technically shut down on paper so that Trump can still whine continuously about how we are still shutdown because of 17 Angry Democrats who want to Destroy our southern Border or whatever.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gort posted:

Of course, anyone who's not an old white man will suffer ten thousand times the scrutiny and backlash but technically everyone is accountable to some degree

Haha omg.

Holding politicians accountable for their words and actions is racist now.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Tayter Swift posted:

WaPo is reporting that the White Houseis making arrangements to have tax refunds go through. IRS folk will be unfurloughed.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1082378913102278656

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Haha omg.

Goddrat you're disingenuous. That is NOT what that poster was saying at all.

EDIT: Maybe you misread things constantly, but this is a Thing for you.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

VitalSigns posted:

Haha omg.

No...? Holding politicians accountable for their words and actions is not racist. Holding politicians accountable for their words and actions to different degrees based on things like age, ethnicity, wealth and gender is horseshit and happens constantly.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Sanguinia posted:

I thought AOC was getting disproportionate attention because she got her seat but crushing one of the most powerful D's in Congress in the primary.

True, which is why the conservative establishment focuses so much fire on her. They're afraid the democrats are having their own tea party moment where genuine leftists are seizing the reigns of power.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Sanguinia posted:

I look forward to her crushing a lot of D's

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

So is Pressley? Or at least I'm 99% sure she was DSA endorsed.

She's endorsed by the Boston chapter but is not, to anyone's knowledge, a member. She's functionally a part of that coalition, though. She's on the Green New Deal, all the DSA members of Congress endorsed her, etc.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Priapus Unbound posted:

Are you perhaps referring to this painting of John Brown?

modern progressives could take a page or two out of john brown's playbook.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Gort posted:

No...?

Priapus Unbound: "it's bad that AOC gets so much support because if she does something bad one day she will get criticized"
Me: "politicians should be held accountable when they do something bad"

You:

Gort posted:

Of course, anyone who's not an old white man will suffer ten thousand times the scrutiny and backlash but technically everyone is accountable to some degree

I'm curious what your solution is, because you seem to be saying that if we hold anyone accountable, WoC will inevitably be criticized more so the alternative is...what?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

You know what's even better then not getting my tax refund due to the shutdown?

UNCERTAINTY about not getting my tax refund due to the shutdown. I'm so glad that I don't need that money this year... sort of.

I'll have my refund before my September wedding, right? No way they'll still be shutdown, right?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rinkles posted:

i'm her age. i have no idea how i'd survive a day in her shoes.

Chris Cizilla parachute account?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You're already getting called out for saying a brown woman standing up for herself is having a "meltdown" right?

JFC the different standards

Her frantically digging and going "Oh yeah I was wrong once but Trump is wrong like a million times" is not how to parry this. She should be active and not reactive.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I hate how there are dozens "may be illegal" reports that come out about the Trump Administration every week.

1) It either is illegal or is not illegal, don't even report on it until you know.
2) It doesn't matter if it's illegal, they do tons of illegal stuff every day, but nobody is holding them accountable and they face no consequences, so it doesn't matter.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
One of my favorite parts of these threads is KM popping in and saying "hey remember that even thought you're a leftist and your heart is in the right place you can still be promoting racist structures" and a bunch of posters going "NO IT'S NOT ABOUT THAT"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Republicans posted:

True, which is why the conservative establishment focuses so much fire on her. They're afraid the democrats are having their own tea party moment where genuine leftists are seizing the reigns of power.

You've got to hold the reins (a cord used for steering a horse) in order to reign (the rule of a sovereign).

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Crows Turn Off posted:

2) It doesn't matter if it's illegal, they do tons of illegal stuff every day, but nobody is holding them accountable and they face no consequences, so it doesn't matter.

The courts consistently blocking Trump's illegal actions has been far and away the most consistent barrier to Trump's agenda.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Crows Turn Off posted:

I hate how there are dozens "may be illegal" reports that come out about the Trump Administration every week.

1) It either is illegal or is not illegal, don't even report on it until you know.

Trump is held accountable by the courts all of the time it’s just that he does so much poo poo that we see some high profile stuff slip through the cracks.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Priapus Unbound: "it's bad that AOC gets so much support because if she does something bad one day she will get criticized"
Me: "politicians should be held accountable when they do something bad"

You:

I'm curious what your solution is, because you seem to be saying that if we hold anyone accountable, WoC will inevitably be criticized more so the alternative is...what?

Also a misreading of what I said, which was that when AOC does do something bad, the backlash is likely to be more horrific than really warranted as the people with weird parasocial crushes on her go rabid with blind betrayed rage.

Then their point was that the backlash would likely be worse than it is for other politicians because society is better at dumping on some groups than others.

CmdrRiker
Apr 8, 2016

You dismally untalented little creep!

The govt will be shutdown and money wont be flowing to our govt employees, but you know for whom the money is going to be flowing? All those rich assholes that play the tax system game. I hate everything.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

VH4Ever posted:

You skipped over a generation, don't forget the X'ers. Not as many of them as boomers but they're the old men of the future.

Gen X is just the silent generation v2.0

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So this is our January meme huh

https://twitter.com/Scouse_ma/status/1081898732050935808

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crows Turn Off posted:

I expect that a union representing some of the IRS workers brought back is going to fight this one because it will force their members to work without pay.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Z. Autobahn posted:

The courts consistently blocking Trump's illegal actions has been far and away the most consistent barrier to Trump's agenda.
Yeah, the courts have stopped a lot of their actions, but being told to "stop doing that" isn't a consequence.

What if the IRS does it anyway?

What happened when the Trump Administration didn't re-unite separated families despite the court giving them a strict deadline?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

VitalSigns posted:

Criticise the fuckers who deserve it instead of those who are already targeted for criticism at a thousand times the volume for a thousandth of the fault.

There's a loving orange elephant in the room, my dude. Punch up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Ague Proof posted:

Chris Cizilla parachute account?

god drat you

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yeah, the courts have stopped a lot of their actions, but being told to "stop doing that" isn't a consequence.

Why would they? You know many accountants who work on an IOU?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Priapus Unbound posted:

From the Guardian live feed, through Maggie Haberman's twitter:

:siren: Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney is reportedly interested in leaving the administration to become President of the University of South Carolina. The New York Times reports that the former South Carolina congressman has expressed interest in leading the university located in the state capital of Columbia. :siren:

How many jobs does he currently have?

EDIT: Two, according to the link Haberman posted.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/07/us/politics/mulvaney-south-carolina-chief-staff.html

:yeshaha:

Trump will soon be the first Cabinet to be a one man show

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Priapus Unbound posted:

Also a misreading of what I said, which was that when AOC does do something bad, the backlash is likely to be more horrific than really warranted as the people with weird parasocial crushes on her go rabid with blind betrayed rage.

Then their point was that the backlash would likely be worse than it is for other politicians because society is better at dumping on some groups than others.

I am skeptical that the man who spent last week melting down over a Muslim woman saying a swear is genuinely concerned that a woman of color might suffer unfair criticism.

I suspect that you are probably just mad that people like AOC and Rashida et al.

Gort posted:

Criticise the fuckers who deserve it instead of those who are already targeted for criticism at a thousand times the volume for a thousandth of the fault.

I think you misunderstood the conversation, I was replying to someone who is angry that people like AOC allegedly out of concern that she will be unfairly criticized (but really because he is a racist who criticizes these women of color all the time for any bullshit excuse he can find)

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Jack2142 posted:

Gen X is just the silent generation v2.0

Moat of the people that taught me about leftism were boomers and Gen Xers.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Crows Turn Off posted:

They won't because they're probably just going to be told to work without pay. The gently caress is Trump gonna do, fire them?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gort posted:

do not, under any circumstances, ask your politicians to represent you, otherwise trump will win

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Gort posted:

The media has been complicit in Trump's rise to power since day one. They've been giving him a pass on literally everything, fact checkers included. Donald Trump does not give a gently caress about Pinocchios.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

theblackw0lf posted:

I hope AOC uses her ability to get media attention on policy ideas to talk about things like HR 1 (which would end federal gerrymandering, create 6-1 small donor matching system, create automatic voter registration, among other things) , which is a pretty big loving deal

AOC has mentioned it in her tweets, but plenty of elected Dems are promoting that bill while very few are talking about M4A and some of the other leftist bills she supports.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Destroying my Impartial Fact Checker credibility to own the left.

AOC very cleanly going after these tools is wonderful.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 7, 2019

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Koalas Massacre posted:

The term comes from the Eminem song. If you want to see Stan culture in action check out the mentions of any famous singer/actor. "I want Idris Elba to break an egg on my face" etc

Come on, now. Don't kinkshame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Sputnik news employee. Conspiracy theory unattached to facts. C'mon.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jan 7, 2019