Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

mallratcal posted:

I'm looking to add cyber frog to the failure list. He's 15 pages behind and has no script.

I believe Uncle Ethan has also claimed 'print file problems.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's a recognizable pattern with guys who try to trade on right-wing politics: they never actually produce anything worthwhile and their business plans collapse under the weight of infighting and general incompetence. And while their customers aren't quick on the uptake, they're also defined as being guys who get extremely angry when they feel they aren't being properly catered to.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Dawgstar posted:

I believe Uncle Ethan has also claimed 'print file problems.'

Which is odd considering the Kickstarter for Jawbreakers doesn't include a PDF version, so the only files will be print files. Knowing there's no digital version means you'd have been working for print the whole time- your colours are optimised for print, your page templates include bleed from the getgo... If your comic actually exists. Which it totally does, honest.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Covok posted:

And yeah Dick Meyers still sued. That's where the money went, most likely. Covering his legal expenses.

It pleases me to no end that the MAKE COMICS CISHETWHITE AGAIN people will only have Ironsights to read, with two failed (Jawbreakers, Alt-Hero) projects to their name.

Mmm, yes, such amazing proof of how GREAT their comics are.
Not to say anything nice about Comicsgate, but Alt-Hero has put out five issues. They're not on Comixology but they're all on Kindle, and I read issues 1, 2, and 4 on Kindle Unlimited (#3 and #5 aren't free on there and I'm not giving them any money). I talked about it upthread, it was terrible and clearly has not taken the comics world by storm given that you weren't even aware that it came out.

The follow-up series Alt-Hero: Q by Chuck Dixon got canned by Indiegogo and moved to a shadier crowdfunding site and raised $18,000 and is scheduled to come out in May 2019, so we'll see what happens to that. Trump's Space Force, another book by Chuck Dixon, was supposed to come out in November 2018 and there's no sign of it either.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kojiro posted:

Which is odd considering the Kickstarter for Jawbreakers doesn't include a PDF version, so the only files will be print files. Knowing there's no digital version means you'd have been working for print the whole time- your colours are optimised for print, your page templates include bleed from the getgo... If your comic actually exists. Which it totally does, honest.

Given how ComicsGate's fixation of books on the shelves being the only thing that matter, as a lot of comics that they leave them so sore wroth (comics starring brown people, or women, or brown people who are women, etc) do better in digital sales and the like I'd about buy that's what they did.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

Not to say anything nice about Comicsgate, but Alt-Hero has put out five issues. They're not on Comixology but they're all on Kindle, and I read issues 1, 2, and 4 on Kindle Unlimited (#3 and #5 aren't free on there and I'm not giving them any money). I talked about it upthread, it was terrible and clearly has not taken the comics world by storm given that you weren't even aware that it came out.

The follow-up series Alt-Hero: Q by Chuck Dixon got canned by Indiegogo and moved to a shadier crowdfunding site and raised $18,000 and is scheduled to come out in May 2019, so we'll see what happens to that. Trump's Space Force, another book by Chuck Dixon, was supposed to come out in November 2018 and there's no sign of it either.

Goddammit Chuck Dixon. You used to write awesome Robin stories and now you do this. Why must you be so lovely?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Goddammit Chuck Dixon. You used to write awesome Robin stories and now you do this. Why must you be so lovely?

Nothings come out yet, maybe he's grifting the grifters?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It is a crime that the name "cyber frog" will forever be associated with CHUDs. It's an inherently pleasing combination of words.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

It's one of those things where I can see the seeds were planted long ago, but I still find Dixon's siding with CG really depressing. That said he's also the only CG-adjacent creator I can think of whose work I ever cared about, unless we're counting Dave Sim but that ship sailed about the time of Cerebus' Latter Days.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

Nothings come out yet, maybe he's grifting the grifters?
It's an especially long con that involves doing a bunch of conservative interviews for the past twenty+ years, writing op-eds titled things like "How Liberalism Became Kryptonite for Superman" for the Wall Street Journal, doing friendly interviews with Milo Yiannopolous and Steve Bannon, adapting the conspiracy-peddling book Clinton Cash into a graphic novel, blaming his reduced workload at DC/Marvel on "leftist political cliques", trying to do a "conservative" Captain America book for Crossgen in the mid-2000s where "American Power" would go over to Iraq and behead all of the terrorists while wearing a leather bondage mask, etc.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Edge & Christian posted:

It's an especially long con that involves doing a bunch of conservative interviews for the past twenty+ years, writing op-eds titled things like "How Liberalism Became Kryptonite for Superman" for the Wall Street Journal, doing friendly interviews with Milo Yiannopolous and Steve Bannon, adapting the conspiracy-peddling book Clinton Cash into a graphic novel, blaming his reduced workload at DC/Marvel on "leftist political cliques", trying to do a "conservative" Captain America book for Crossgen in the mid-2000s where "American Power" would go over to Iraq and behead all of the terrorists while wearing a leather bondage mask, etc.

Quick question, and I figure that there isn't really an adequate answer out there, but in the specific case of Dixon, did all this stuff come out after 9/11, and in the broader sense how many comic creators got their brains....er....broke...by 9/11? I know Frank Miller is a pretty good example as you can see the direction his work took before and after 9/11, but I am curious if people like Dixon were more centrist before and then 9/11 happened and they became more...radicalised (if that is the right word). This isn't to make an excuse, but I am wondering if 9/11 broke a lot of people in the comic community for the worst.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Covok posted:

And yeah Dick Meyers still sued. That's where the money went, most likely. Covering his legal expenses.

It pleases me to no end that the MAKE COMICS CISHETWHITE AGAIN people will only have Ironsights to read, with two failed (Jawbreakers, Alt-Hero) projects to their name.

Mmm, yes, such amazing proof of how GREAT their comics are.

That's not their fault though, it's those damned SJWs so please just give them more money and be patient

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Madkal posted:

Quick question, and I figure that there isn't really an adequate answer out there, but in the specific case of Dixon, did all this stuff come out after 9/11, and in the broader sense how many comic creators got their brains....er....broke...by 9/11? I know Frank Miller is a pretty good example as you can see the direction his work took before and after 9/11, but I am curious if people like Dixon were more centrist before and then 9/11 happened and they became more...radicalised (if that is the right word). This isn't to make an excuse, but I am wondering if 9/11 broke a lot of people in the comic community for the worst.
Dixon has called himself a "lifelong Republican" and reading his work on Punisher, Batman, and others well before 9/11 really seem to support that. I haven't read them in ages, but he was one of the writers who really leaned on (and helped cement) the sort of grim n gritty dialogue that was always some variation of "you criminal scum you don't get to blame society or economic conditions or growing up in poverty or struggling to survive on your crimes, you made your decision to be evil and must be wiped out (or just brutally beaten and left for the cops), and you bleeding heart psychologists at Arkham make me sick" sort of poo poo.

Miller I think you could make a better case for '9/11 contributed in driving him nuts'. Elements of sort of fascist power fantasies were evidence in all of his 1980s/1990s works (though really you can say that about most superhero/pulp comics creators), and the 2000s saw his hometown get attacked on 9/11 in a way that clearly traumatized Miller (and tons of other people) in a real way. You also can't discount the fact that it was in the 2000s that he also had his marriage to Lynn Varley (a creative and romantic partner for 20+ years) fall apart, some serious alcohol/health problems, etc. happen. You could chicken-egg it, but regardless I think there's a more marked shift in Miller's life/views after 2001 than there ever were with Dixon. If anything the environment for right wing grievance/radicalization has just helped him be more open with it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/renfamous/status/1082425018280300549

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

quote:

And instead of caring about the 13-year-old Sim ADMITTEDLY transported across state lines to stay in his hotel room
Wait. What.:stare:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

ryonguy posted:

Yeah what the heck, first time I'm hearing about that.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah Dixon always sucked, we just didn't know to read between the lines back then

hell Stephanie Brown's whole teen pregnancy arc is basically a lecture on the dangers of pre-marital sex followed by her carrying the child to term because abortions are evil

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
For that matter, if I remember correctly, when he found out that fans thought Connor Hawke might be gay, Dixon's reaction was to write a story in which Connor slept with Shado, of all characters. Because that was somehow better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah what the heck, first time I'm hearing about that.

Also has Dave Sim actually left Kitchener in the last decade?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ryonguy posted:

Ethan is more upset that this forced him to fire Dave off his frog book instead of, you know, what Dave did.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

More details here : http://momentofcerebus.blogspot.com/2019/01/the-trial-of-dave-sim.html?m=1

Don't read if you don't have a shower handy because you'll feel grody afterwards, but here's a sample :

quote:

The "girl" in question was born tomorrow January, Eighth. In 1970. I know it's bad form to mention a lady's age, but the "13 year old girl" everybody's up in arms about, is 49.

Well no here's one from the comments I'll leaver unspoiled:

quote:

2) Someone may want to let the "influencer" Ren-whatshername know that she's opening up herself to charges of libel by saying on twitter Dave transported a 13 year old across state lines. As the above fax states, she was 15 at the time (1985).

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That spoilered bit is the weirdest/weakest defense I have ever seen, Jesus Christ.

Edit: Everyone is a creep

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm reminded that the A Moment of Cerebus guy no doubt had to sign one of those 'I Vow To Never Imply Dave Sim is In Any Way a Misogynist' forms.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Jedit posted:

Also has Dave Sim actually left Kitchener in the last decade?
I think I said this last time Dave Sim stuff came up, but the only saving grace for Sim versus [insert anyone else we talk about in this thread is that he's realized that his belief system/values are completely out of sync with society and has effectively taken himself out of said society. That doesn't excuse past behavior or current statements, but even then the worst equivocations/excuses aren't coming from Sim in that link.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Just to make sure I read that whole essay correctly, since reactions in the comments and elsewhere seem to muddy the waters:

Dave Sim groomed a young teenage girl for romantic purposes, admitted to it, labeled himself a "world class sleaze ball" over his past conduct, and his fans just shrug and say, "but he mails us extra comics sometimes so who cares."

Do I have that right?

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Space Fish posted:

Just to make sure I read that whole essay correctly, since reactions in the comments and elsewhere seem to muddy the waters:

Dave Sim groomed a young teenage girl for romantic purposes, admitted to it, labeled himself a "world class sleaze ball" over his past conduct, and his fans just shrug and say, "but he mails us extra comics sometimes so who cares."

Do I have that right?

Don't forget "What I did was wrong but it was the happiest day of my life and I kept pictures of myself with my 14 year old future paramour!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Space Fish posted:

Do I have that right?

Essentially. At this point you have to rationalize so much stuff to be a fan of Dave Sim that the news coming back to light was probably child's play for them.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
wait... so the ace in the hole/"I'll sue for libel!" is "How dare you say I transported a 13 year old child across state lines for sex! She was 15!" Am I reading that right? :psyboom:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Coolness Averted posted:

wait... so the ace in the hole/"I'll sue for libel!" is "How dare you say I transported a 13 year old child across state lines for sex! She was 15!" Am I reading that right? :psyboom:
To be clear, it's even dumber because it's essentially:

Twitter: You did a terrible thing, Dave Sim.
Dave Sim: You're right, I did.
Webmaster: I mean was it that bad?
Comments: SUE THEM FOR LIBEL FOR GETTING A DETAIL WRONG

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

"It's not like Dave Sim could have done something worse right?" says increasingly nervous EVS.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Can I just say that someone who won't shut up about women being satan doing creepy sex stuff with an underage girl is the least surprising thing ever?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Lurdiak posted:

Can I just say that someone who won't shut up about women being satan doing creepy sex stuff with an underage girl is the least surprising thing ever?

:reddit: women are evil, girls are pure

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Some fine trolling here. ( the whole thread is great )

https://twitter.com/micahmyers/status/1083380868629045249

I've worked with Micah on a past project, and he was an all around decent guy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Poor guy got a "ah, yes, but where is actual PROOF of ComicsGate's harassment" although he wisely ignored it. (Others took up the banner, because they have time to kill or whatever.)

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dawgstar posted:

Poor guy got a "ah, yes, but where is actual PROOF of ComicsGate's harassment" although he wisely ignored it. (Others took up the banner, because they have time to kill or whatever.)

I like that guy who did engage just told them to check the comicsgate hashtag for examples of harassment

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sims' big new confession about his underage girlfriend posted on Bleedingcool points to back-matter in Cerberus #75 from 1987 where he and pals Art Adams, Jackson Guice and Bob Burden have a "Gam Jam" in a hotel room drawing on the 14 or 15 year old girl's legs. It's easy to find on Google if you want to feel icky about some old pros.
Somewhere in there he blames schools for not educating men on how to differentiate between women and underage teen girls in make-up.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wauughhhb my skin is fleeing from me at maximum speed

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
youve been infected by the thing, better go freeze yourself in some ice

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The real harassers are the ones against the harassing something something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can't believe (((Soros))) is now paying Renfamous and SJWSpiderMan to directly harrass good boy Ethan!