Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The sj app not telling you where you have read to is dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Where are the new chapters shonen jump!! Dont tell me your taking the holidays off!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So I'd powered through Kekkaishi last week, then promptly forgot about the experience because all these drat holidays happening within days of each other.
Ending definitely is one of the smoothest manga endings I've read. In spite of a literal Deus ex Machina in the form of "The one who watches" just resolving the magic nuke. It didn't feel cheap or rushed to me despite the growing awareness that there were only 5 or so chapters left to get things to some kind of resolution. And similar to FMA the ending places characters where they need to be and not where I think fans would have wanted them. Masamori is still middle of the pecking order (really at the bottom) as he still lacks the real backing and mentality to take over the Urukai. Yoshimori and Tokine are still just friends at this point and that's fine for them. The two families have finally stopped the rift which was already pretty arbitrarily enforced at this point. And Chuushimaru and his rear end in a top hat dad are going to get some nice bonding time until they both fade from existence. That last one is a bit bittersweet but there wasn't a real way to "fix" that particular plot point and I'm glad that the power of friendship didn't let it be overridden.

Yellow also did a nice job of balancing a handful of characters who are incredibly powerful or hyper competent alongside the main duo. The council of 12, the Leader, Yoshimori's mother, the Ancestor, that one old guy who had a contract with like 100 demons. There were a lot of characters who could have felt like bigger crutches but wound up fitting in quite nicely. But by that same token when it came time for those characters to flex their force on the plot; Like the Shinigami killing his land god, it was quick and to the point just to emphasize that they really are in that tier of powerful individuals.

Solid story, was a real page turner. Next I should re-read the oneshot she put out between projects and then dive back into birdmen.

But using Kekkaishi as a framework to imagine how Birdmen will pan out I can at least expect some of these things
>Villains, antagonists, or really shady people getting away scott free
>complicated situation not having the "perfect" outcome just the "best possible"
>a Deus ex machina at some point. I think this mysterious white void that's popped up a couple times and the entity within it qualify

Biggest difference in my mind between Birdmen and Kekkaishi however is the lack of an uber-powerful support network for the Main characters. These kids are flying solo for the most part and don't benefit from a 400yo lineage or shadow organization to offer resources. They have "something" in the background but it's far more vague in potency and intention.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
New We Never Learn
https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/94/page/1

Ashumi makes a good attempt at best girl status this chapter.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 3, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Yes. Good chapter. I really liked the epilogue.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
This is what I like about this manga: the characters are all good people at heart.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
A long time ago I started reading Soukyuu no Ariadne. It was the next manga by Yagi, the guy from the Claymore Manga.
It wasn't very special, but there was something...fun about it. Seems like it could go anywhere, but even if it doesn't the leads seem to have a good time.

Anyway, the translations stopped after a few chapters, but I was suddenly wondering whether it had been picked up again and to my surprise it was. Apparently Cyan Steam wants to keep translating it, but they've been busy. So if you're like me and dropped it when the translations stopped, it's being worked on again.
So there's that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

cool I liked that series. the characters were fun

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

A long time ago I started reading Soukyuu no Ariadne. It was the next manga by Yagi, the guy from the Claymore Manga.
It wasn't very special, but there was something...fun about it. Seems like it could go anywhere, but even if it doesn't the leads seem to have a good time.

Anyway, the translations stopped after a few chapters, but I was suddenly wondering whether it had been picked up again and to my surprise it was. Apparently Cyan Steam wants to keep translating it, but they've been busy. So if you're like me and dropped it when the translations stopped, it's being worked on again.
So there's that.

Oh, neat. I dug Claymore. Actually re-reading it now thanks to SJ's sub thing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
its nice being able to read jujutsu kaisen and jigokoraku weekly now imo

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen's translator is on twitter but tweets in such a way that I feel really old because every post and image is smothered in emoticons and stickers

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Jose posted:

its nice being able to read jujutsu kaisen and jigokoraku weekly now imo

I haven't gotten into Jujutsu Kaisen yet but Jigokuraku kicks rear end. I didn't see that Viz picked it up which stinks for me since I'm extra poor these days. I was wondering where the updates went

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fabricated posted:

Jujutsu Kaisen's translator is on twitter but tweets in such a way that I feel really old because every post and image is smothered in emoticons and stickers

The guy who translates MHA and Dr. Stone is also on Twitter and he's pretty cool. Posts a lot of the hard-to-translate in-jokes and why stuff is translated the way it is.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The One Piece translator also though he also appears on an OP podcast which is where he explains most of the translation stuff.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
did the seven deadly sins thread get archived? or is forums searched poo poo from a butt? regardless i had a question about where the head of the goddess clan is

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Relin posted:

did the seven deadly sins thread get archived? or is forums searched poo poo from a butt? regardless i had a question about where the head of the goddess clan is

Unfortunately Seven Deadly Sins doesn't get much conversation here. It's been a few years since I remember seeing a thread for it. I'm guessing you just read the latest chapter but I don't think the whereabouts of the Goddess has ever been talked about before now. So far it seems like the Goddess is just "gone" for some reason probably pertaining to the after effects of the seal 3000 years ago much in the way the Demon King went to Purgatory.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Relin posted:

I thought she was stuck in Heaven like the demon king is stuck in Hell.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm not sure it's clear what's up with angel boss

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Relin posted:

The Mangaka doesn't know either. :v:

But Yeah, like Reiche said we have no idea what happened to her. All we know for certain is that she's without a real body like all goddesses except Mael.
Maybe she was in the Horn that Ban burned?

RatHat posted:

I thought she was stuck in Heaven like the demon king is stuck in Hell.

The Demon King is actually in purgatory. It's not clear to me how he got there though.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Just read the latest Eden's Zero chapter (link), and it was weird to see planet-wide genocide being depicted as a good thing. I can't imagine any other Shonen series doing the same.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I was under the impression that most if not all of all the people got off planet (it should be noted that a fair amount of the people on world at that time were victims of kidnapping) before the chronophage hit so I thought it was talking to the irony of such a planet being reverted to a Miyazaki paradise rather than anyone deserving getting erased from time. I think the only one that got it square in the neck was "Sister" and all we know at the moment was that she took whatsherface's powers.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New Marry Grave
It's too short!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

New Marry Grave
It's too short!
I'm still holding out for magical clone but I'll take daughter as well. And a very creative use for Sawyers immortality this chapter.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Oh no....Marry Grave has already been cancelled. Chapter 52 was the last chapter. That sucks.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 18, 2019

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Oh no....Marry Grave has already been cancelled. Chapter 52 was the last chapter. That sucks.

Oh godddamnit :(

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wait what?! Are you joking? Please be joking. :(

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Cursed... That was the most cursed post I've read in a long time... loving hell

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
For fucks sake. :(

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

Hey guys I just started reading this manga Mx0!!! Gosh is it fun and unique!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

It's all true! :negative:

On the bright side, I read that apparently chapter 52 does at least provide some measure of closure. So there's that.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/95/page/1

I really like Nariyuki, he's a good boy and it's nice to see a harem lead with some agency of his own.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

...Do japanese schools usually make their students run marathons? :stare: That seems a bit excessive.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mikl posted:

...Do japanese schools usually make their students run marathons? :stare: That seems a bit excessive.

They're not regulation marathons. It's usually a day spent completing a few miles around the neighborhood.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We got something similar in Montreal, where we'd go run a (iirc) four-kilometer walk on the île Sainte-Hélène every year.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

We have a similar thing here in the Netherlands, at least the school I used to go at. Once a year we all got dragged out to do a marathon run of 7.5 kilometers.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Well that's just confusing. In the context of running, "marathon" specifically means 42-and-something kilometres; you call it "sports day" or "fun run" or anything else if it's not that distance.

(Sorry, I'm nitpicky on stuff like this.)

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
Does anybody remember a bad guy with grey skin, sunglasses, and a purple fedora who swung his testicles around screaming "tama tama", creating some weaponized force power? Was that Excel Saga?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nichol posted:

Does anybody remember a bad guy with grey skin, sunglasses, and a purple fedora who swung his testicles around screaming "tama tama", creating some weaponized force power? Was that Excel Saga?

I think that was Puni Puni Poemi.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mulderman posted:

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/95/page/1

I really like Nariyuki, he's a good boy and it's nice to see a harem lead with some agency of his own.

I kinda feel like the author doesn't have a great idea of what they want to do with Rizu compared to the other characters. She kinda stopped being beep boop robot does not understand emotions, which is good because that is kind of one note, but her recent appearances seem to have mostly been just trying on different roles. Maybe that will be her overall arc, but it doesn't feel well connected right now.

Basically she needs more time with Sekijou. Also is it just me or does it seem like she has gotten taller?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

I think that was Puni Puni Poemi.

Yeah, it was the (two I think?) aliens from that.