Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

DO NOT CONTINUE TO USE OR OWN THAT HOUSEFIREWAITINGTOHAPPEN

Seriously.
Em yeah, where do I dispose of this warehouse house fire waiting to happen? Trash day was today and I doubt the garbage company would have been to happy with this in my bin if it lit up, I suppose I can put it in a coffee can until next trash day or try to find a battery drop off location and explain the situation.

VVV I'm watching very carefully and keeping my fingers and toes crossed with a fire extinguisher nearby. While, not anymore, it's unplugged right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Crotch Fruit posted:

The watch cooled off, I tried again,

My man what are you doing

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Crotch Fruit posted:

Em yeah, where do I dispose of this warehouse house fire waiting to happen? Trash day was today and I doubt the garbage company would have been to happy with this in my bin if it lit up, I suppose I can put it in a coffee can until next trash day or try to find a battery drop off location and explain the situation.

VVV I'm watching very carefully and keeping my fingers and toes crossed with a fire extinguisher nearby. While, not anymore, it's unplugged right now.

Lol you better have the right kind of extinguisher because sodium metal fires don't go out easy and tend to be toxic as gently caress. Dispose of it like you do car-batteries, right in the ocean.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Quantum of Phallus posted:

My man what are you doing

the kind of mind from which great stories are born

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

also you might wanna check your house wiring cause buzzing+gets super hot when plugged in sounds like something shoulda just tripped before you could get much further into burning your house down

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

also you might wanna check your house wiring cause buzzing+gets super hot when plugged in sounds like something shoulda just tripped before you could get much further into burning your house down

yes, this man should definitely be taking apart and mucking with his outlets.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do not buy poo poo from aliexpress where the failure mode is "my house is on fire" or "the Chinese government now has all of my personal data"

Aliexpress is good for, like, post-its, which are rarely self-igniting

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

guys check out these sweet looking magnesium post-its I found

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Dear friend, my house is on fire

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

guys check out these sweet looking magnesium post-its I found

New from Aliexpres-Co: Magnesium Glitter! (Caution: Top Quality, Kids Fun, Super Safe Regard) *matches included

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at hostpital, lost fingat

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Christ, if you want a decent cheap fitness band get a Mii Band 2. Want something nicer? Amazfit Bip.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Kerbtree posted:

Christ, if you want a decent cheap fitness band get a Mii Band 2. Want something nicer? Amazfit Bip.

Starting to rethink this. The fitness watch from Aliexpress is perfect. It doesn't do poo poo like track your steps or tell time, but it will surely get you sprinting once it burst into flames on your wrist, which is killer cardio.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Kerbtree posted:

Yeah, there's also a Mi Band 3.

There were issues with early HR monitors where they'd burn your wrist, add in that you're strapping a lithium battery of unknown quality to your wrist and you're just asking for trouble.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Thirding that advice: Mi Band 2 (or 3 if you want to shell out a tiny bit more for marginal improvements) or an Amazfit Bip are amazing sport watches for the price. Xiaomi is a company that makes good poo poo. My phone, robot vacuum, router, smartwatches, wifi repeater: all xiaomi products, and happy with all of them.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Do not buy poo poo from aliexpress where the failure mode is "my house is on fire" or "the Chinese government now has all of my personal data"

If you're not Chinese why would you care about that? "Google now has all your personal data" is the expected mode of operations for a Android device.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So along with some drill bits and pencil cases I had ordered, today I got a pair of really fake Ray Bans. My address, but some other name. My wife says that people who order regularly start getting random items under other names, due to them needing to have a real address to write their fake reviews. Not anything high end (for Wish or Geek), just crap that needed fake reviews.

Anyone heard of this? Most of the reviews I've seen are "Came fast, looks good, haven't used it yet, five stars", so I'm not sure why they would bother.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

MrUnderbridge posted:

So along with some drill bits and pencil cases I had ordered, today I got a pair of really fake Ray Bans. My address, but some other name. My wife says that people who order regularly start getting random items under other names, due to them needing to have a real address to write their fake reviews. Not anything high end (for Wish or Geek), just crap that needed fake reviews.

Anyone heard of this? Most of the reviews I've seen are "Came fast, looks good, haven't used it yet, five stars", so I'm not sure why they would bother.

This is a thing, there was a great Planet Money episode, #838 about this.

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 7, 2019

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
electronics from ali should be from xiaomi or at least come with a video showing it functioning properly

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

gonna start ordering loads of bullshit from every store in hopes of winning the free poo poo for fake reviews lottery

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Flea Bargain posted:

This is a thing, there was a great Reply All Tech Support episode on it iirc if you're interested in learning more.

Yeah, they buy them themselves so they can give themselves glowing reviews to trick the algorithm. Good episode.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

NihilismNow posted:

If you're not Chinese why would you care about that? "Google now has all your personal data" is the expected mode of operations for a Android device.

the more giant incompetent entities who don't give a poo poo about your best interests that have your personal information, the more opportunities smalltime criminals who give a poo poo about draining your bank account and running scams using your name have to also get it, and the more they'll sell it to third parties for who even knows what purpose.

it's some fun smug internet posturing to go "meh privacy is dead anyway" but I don't see you scratching that poo poo into the side of the bathroom stall.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 7, 2019

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

the more giant incompetent entities who don't give a poo poo about your best interests that have your personal information, the more opportunities smalltime criminals who give a poo poo about draining your bank account and running scams using your name have to also get it, and the more they'll sell it to other entities for who even knows what purpose.

it's some fun smug internet posturing to go "meh privacy is dead anyway" but I don't see you scratching that poo poo into the side of the bathroom stall.

so why is china company bad and google not

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

did you ever consider that two is a larger number than one

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

heeheex2 posted:

so why is china company bad and google not

try suing a chinese anything, company or govt. Google has actually been held accountable before

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what's ur social security and bank account + routing number, bitch. you're cool with letting whoever puts a keylogger on the crap you bought have it cause Google exists so why not share with us

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I don't see you scratching that poo poo into the side of the bathroom stall.

You don't know me.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Babby's first lithium cell incident? Good times.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

heeheex2 posted:

gonna start ordering loads of bullshit from every store in hopes of winning the free poo poo for fake reviews lottery

Make sure you apply for the freebies. Right now, I can apply for lots of fake designer make up, some awful handbags, or a creepy reborn doll. Hope I get picked!

I’m glad a goon almost burned their house down as I was looking for some fitness band recommendations and I’m too cheap to buy the big brands. I don’t really want the Chinese government to spy on me though. My Alexa already does that.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

gently caress. couldnt sue the chinese government. at least i can sue google tho.

lol

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

what's ur social security and bank account + routing number, bitch. you're cool with letting whoever puts a keylogger on the crap you bought have it cause Google exists so why not share with us

nice meltdown

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

heeheex2 posted:

gently caress. couldnt sue the chinese government. at least i can sue google tho.

lol

yeah you can, and people do. Well maybe not you, you dont seem like the type to care enough to protect yourself. Everything is hosed why try

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/LF0...7b-cbc57b379b8f

stalin engraved cigarette case, gently caress yeah

I dont smoke but these smoking gadgets are so cool/dumb
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cig...df-a21a32208814
Cig magazine. Imagine a 30rd ak banana mag

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Min...df-a21a32208814
cigarette sized lighter you can store in the pack to make sure you accidentally throw it out and need to buy another

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 8, 2019

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you guys ever wfh you could potentially be exposing your company's poo poo too. China has a uhh different concept of intellectual property, and my company would straight-up murder an employee who let their assets get out there.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anne Whateley posted:

If you guys ever wfh you could potentially be exposing your company's poo poo too. China has a uhh different concept of intellectual property, and my company would straight-up murder an employee who let their assets get out there.

china is already #1 why would they need to steal from us.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Mosley v SARL Google was a 2013 French court case in which former President of the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile Max Mosley attempted to make the internet search engine Google remove images of him engaging in a sado-masochistic sex act with several prostitutes. The publication of the images in the (now defunct) British newspaper The News of the World was litigated in Mosley v News Group Newspapers and resulted in Mr Mosley being awarded £60,000 in damages.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I actively do want the Chinese government to spy on me and I am willing to help them spy on less cooperative individuals should they request it of me.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moon Atari posted:

I actively do want the Chinese government to spy on me and I am willing to help them spy on less cooperative individuals should they request it of me.

this is a funny post and i am angry that I wasnt clever enough to make it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

New from Aliexpres-Co: Magnesium Glitter! (Caution: Top Quality, Kids Fun, Super Safe Regard) *matches included

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/99-99-Magnesium-Metal-Rod-Mg-18mm-x-100mm-High-Purity-High-Quality-Y122/32826533541.html?channel=twinner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woden
May 6, 2006

heeheex2 posted:

lol

Just VPN into Europe and tell them to stop stalking you. They have to stop, it's the law.