Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Just delete the guy's profile from the forum or replace it woth "deletes" as a name amd then semd the law form a few GB of c9mpressed, encrypted log files showing what uou did.

Then tell them you would like proof that their client has deleted your email address from all of his/her systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Klyith posted:

the upvote downvote system means that the overall tone can go incredibly negative when people start getting angsty. after a while people start downvoting positive stuff just because they want to feel justified about quitting.

I've been through a dying game before.

I appreciate the helpful advice in comments and on twitter, I really do. But at the end of the day my industrial activities in EVE were always a casual one man affair trying to have some fun making a small business on one screen while working on another and the two ganks this past month have shown me that its become more frustrating than its worth.

I was at keyboard, watching ships around me, ready for danger and still I failed. I had to know the proper way to log off, I had to have scout alts, I had to wait for the right time, avoid certain systems, join channels, etc etc etc. On the other hand, the gankers sit there and ping a channel when a target is sighted, target me, hit F1, and get a kill. The asymmetry of it all galls me still, and has for years. If I can't casually have my high sec little business without this stress, I'm going to quit. Other's can have it.

Of course its asymmetric. You have a large group of players working in concert doing exactly what it is you do not want to do--having scouts, planning ahead of time, joining in-game chat channels, and utilizing voice coms--going up against you. You chose, as you said above, to treat your high-sec business as a solo endeavor and, on top of that, you readily admit that you did not want to be bothered with taking the steps you could have taken to, even as a solo player, to be safer.

Eve is at its core a non-consensual full loot pvp game. This is what makes everything in the game, including whatever your small industry business is/was, work. So believe me when I say, I understand how this type of game is not for everyone. Some people want out of their games something mindless and stress free, and the only way you are going to get that out of Eve (sort of) is maybe station trading.

That being said, even though it is okay that you have decided that "eve just isn't for you anymore," there is absolutely no space for you to argue that there is something wrong with the game and that what happened to you is 'unfair.' Because of course it was unfair, as we discussed above. Groups of people acting in concert together are always going to have an advantage over an individual, particularly an individual who knowingly ignores the steps he or she should be taking to reduce the risk to themselves to the absolute minimum.

Don't get me wrong... Eve certainly is not perfect; however, in this case the game mechanics, unlike other games, are not built around mitigating the advantages of multiple humans who are highly organized over a single person autopiloting through systems he or she knows are dangerous, and who does not take the most basic precautions. In fact, Eve rewards this type of social behavior more than any other MMO that I can think of.

Eve, more than anything else, is an experiment in what happens when you put human beings into a particular set of material conditions. It is a beautiful view of our own dystopic capitalist future; however, it is also a game.

So yeah, in real life if a group of thugs stopped your car and stole all of your poo poo at gunpoint it would be unfair and wrong, but in this particular game, which was set-up on creation to be exactly what it is. It is only human that someone who loses what he or she put a lot of work into under such circumstances complains, gets mad, and is sad; however, in the case of this pixel spaceship game you do not really have the right to lament about how the game is broken and caters to the 'risk adverse.' The opposite is actually true.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 7, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hexel posted:

anything that makes people add more popups to websites :golfclap:

if your website isn't a pile of poo poo, it doesn't need any popups.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truga posted:

if your website isn't a pile of poo poo, it doesn't need any popups.

Yeah the exact issue here is pretty much every website nowadays is a pile of poo poo that wants to collect and sell your personal data :nallears:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ZombieLenin posted:

Of course its asymmetric. You have a large group of players working in concert doing exactly what it is you do not want to do--having scouts, planning ahead of time, joining in-game chat channels, and utilizing voice coms--going up against you. You chose, as you said above, to treat your high-sec business as a solo endeavor and, on top of that, you readily admit that you did not want to be bothered with taking the steps you could have taken to, even as a solo player, to be safer.

Eve is at its core a non-consensual full loot pvp game. This is what makes everything in the game, including whatever your small industry business is/was, work. So believe me when I say, I understand how this type of game is not for everyone. Some people want out of their games something mindless and stress free, and the only way you are going to get that out of Eve (sort of) is maybe station trading.

That being said, even though it is okay that you have decided that "eve just isn't for you anymore," there is absolutely no space for you to argue that there is something wrong with the game and that what happened to you is 'unfair.' Because of course it was unfair, as we discussed above. Groups of people acting in concert together are always going to have an advantage over an individual, particularly an individual who knowingly ignores the steps he or she should be taking to reduce the risk to themselves to the absolute minimum.

Don't get me wrong... Eve certainly is not perfect; however, in this case the game mechanics, unlike other games, are not built around mitigating the advantages of multiple humans who are highly organized over a single person autopiloting through systems he or she knows are dangerous, and who does not take the most basic precautions. In fact, Eve rewards this type of social behavior more than any other MMO that I can think of.

Eve, more than anything else, is an experiment in what happens when you put human beings into a particular set of material conditions. It is a beautiful view of our own dystopic capitalist future; however, it is also a game.

So yeah, in real life if a group of thugs stopped your car and stole all of your poo poo at gunpoint it would be unfair and wrong, but in this particular game, which was set-up on creation to be exactly what it is. It is only human that someone who loses what he or she put a lot of work into under such circumstances complains, gets mad, and is sad; however, in the case of this pixel spaceship game you do not really have the right to lament about how the game is broken and caters to the 'risk adverse.' The opposite is actually true.

that's a quote from reddit :v:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

now I feel bad, I didn't think that would trick anybody.

also not reddit but close. these were the kills that did it, so GSF once again makes somebody quit! :toot:

As for his argument about asymmetry, it's easily disposed of by the fact that one guy (the scout) is paying at least as much attention to the game as he is. The total amount of human attention on the ganker side is far in excess of his. What he didn't learn from the first gank is that when you carry 8-10 billion isk in a freighter, mere attention isn't enough.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I used to play this horrible game but ended up winning about four years ago.

Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across the December economic report a few days ago and saw that Delve mining production was greater than the rest of Eve combined. I'm assuming that Goons occupy Delve then and that mining has become viable again?

I remember being part of Remedial's Goons in that one 0.0 space that is NPC controlled ( S-something?) and having to run the pipe with a hold full of Zydrine to sell in Jita and having a blast being retarded. Then the drone regions were introduced which basically killed mining as an enterprise and then my interest started to fade.

What is the state of mining now in Goonspace?

When playing eve, I liked nothing more than having two max-output Hulks sucking rocks and a third hauler account taking my ore to a safe station somewhere while I watched a movie and bullshitted on comms. Sometimes I'd get a mining fleet together and bring out a max-bonus Nighthawk to give everyone bonuses out of the goodness of my heart.

Is this a viable activity in today's Eve?

I admit that I just logged in an ran a couple of L1 missions from Jita in an Alpha and the game sure is pretty.

Oh god am I really thinking about resubbing three accounts to this game?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

This is what happens when I read something that irritates me so much I stop paying attention. I go after every last motherfucker in the room. :tfrxmas: , but with words.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Agrikk posted:

Imagine my surprise when I stumbled across the December economic report a few days ago and saw that Delve mining production was greater than the rest of Eve combined. I'm assuming that Goons occupy Delve then and that mining has become viable again?

When playing eve, I liked nothing more than having two max-output Hulks sucking rocks and a third hauler account taking my ore to a safe station somewhere while I watched a movie and bullshitted on comms. Sometimes I'd get a mining fleet together and bring out a max-bonus Nighthawk to give everyone bonuses out of the goodness of my heart.

Mining is now viable, but the pair of hulks aren't. CCP turned the Rorqual into a capital mining ship; it uses 5 super-mining-drones that each mine like a T1 barge.

However rorqs can't mine mercoxit, so there is still a job available for barges.

Also they turned moon mining into an active mining job. Instead of towers sucking moon juice through a straw, the new moonbases blow a huge chunk of moon straight off the surface and tractor it up to create an asteroid belt. Those rocks have to be collected by miners. If you like mining, it is now highly lucrative.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Goons are bad for the game not because they're goons, but because they're a highly insular group with powerful in-group preferences and a huge amount of control over the content & direction of the game. Their leadership are self-important twats who refuse to admit they are playing a game, and instead of enjoying this video game we all play together, they spend their time metagaming & trying to mold the game for everyone else in their image. The goon self-righteousness summed up in "grr gons" is a complete mischaracterization of the problem in an attempt to discredit anyone raising issues about the increasingly stale state of Eve by forcing every issue into a neat box. grr gons is much easier to argue against than self reflection about whether your actions are having a negative impact on the long-term future of Eve.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Goons are bad for the game not because they're goons, but because they're a highly insular group with powerful in-group preferences and a huge amount of control over the content & direction of the game. Their leadership are self-important twats who refuse to admit they are playing a game, and instead of enjoying this video game we all play together, they spend their time metagaming & trying to mold the game for everyone else in their image. The goon self-righteousness summed up in "grr gons" is a complete mischaracterization of the problem in an attempt to discredit anyone raising issues about the increasingly stale state of Eve by forcing every issue into a neat box. grr gons is much easier to argue against than self reflection about whether your actions are having a negative impact on the long-term future of Eve.

where is the lie

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Addamere posted:

where is the lie

The suggestion GSF doesn't recognize its "actions are having a negative impact on the long-term future of EVE" because of a lack of self-reflection.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maneck posted:

The suggestion GSF doesn't recognize its "actions are having a negative impact on the long-term future of EVE" because of a lack of self-reflection.

I agree that not enough goons turn off their monitors.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Their leadership are self-important twats who refuse to admit they are playing a game

:eyepop:

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

i lost two asteros in two days to mining frigates with blasters so i'm gonna take another several-month break and let my 2 skills train to V so I can start ganking people in better ships

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Maneck posted:

Goonswarm puts more effort into making EVE an entertaining game than CCP does.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

i lost two asteros in two days to mining frigates with blasters so i'm gonna take another several-month break and let my 2 skills train to V so I can start ganking people in better ships

dont quit because you got baited

just grind some money and buy injectors instead

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

were these actual combat asteros, or one of the dumb multi-purpose exploration / hacking / combat kitchen sink asteros that people like to fly?

because if it was the latter, skills won't help and what you need is to know that you are not a combat ship and so should only take engagements you know 100% for sure are not bait. that includes using the look at button to see if that venture has blasters, and using zkill to see if that pilot has ever baited people in the past.

if the former, lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Agrikk posted:

I remember being part of Remedial's Goons in that one 0.0 space that is NPC controlled ( S-something?) and having to run the pipe with a hold full of Zydrine to sell in Jita and having a blast being retarded. Then the drone regions were introduced which basically killed mining as an enterprise and then my interest started to fade.

I admit that I just logged in an ran a couple of L1 missions from Jita in an Alpha and the game sure is pretty.

Mining is extremely good right now thanks to rorqs as someone upthread said. If you like mining, now is the time to :getin:

(also sell me your moongoo tia)

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Agrikk posted:

it is not viable, because comms are the worst they have ever been. if you are not joining back up to play with specific people that you know are cool and good, you will not find them in the goon swarm federation at large

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

were these actual combat asteros, or one of the dumb multi-purpose exploration / hacking / combat kitchen sink asteros that people like to fly?

because if it was the latter, skills won't help and what you need is to know that you are not a combat ship and so should only take engagements you know 100% for sure are not bait. that includes using the look at button to see if that venture has blasters, and using zkill to see if that pilot has ever baited people in the past.

if the former, lol
:eyepop:
I've never even considered you could look at the ship model to see what weapons are equipped.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it is not viable, because comms are the worst they have ever been.

Well, last time I was on mumble I didn't hear anyone shouting the N-word trying to drown out the guy discussing how the SS were actually very honorable soldiers in a lovely situation.

So you're solidly wrong there.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

it is not viable, because comms are the worst they have ever been. if you are not joining back up to play with specific people that you know are cool and good, you will not find them in the goon swarm federation at large

What, was the cultural revolution rescinded and we're back to dhd rants and racist shrieking or what

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

im on comms every time i play and so far i have yet to hear a shitlord nor a braindead shrieker so lol

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Addamere posted:

What, was the cultural revolution rescinded and we're back to dhd rants and racist shrieking or what

Nah, that dude’s posting gimmick is being too cool for goonswarm. Comms are mostly the same as ever, and probably better than they were at the beginning since a woman can speak without 30 solid seconds of people screaming about it. Isolated pockets of racist shrieking may exist but it’s rare to see it in open comms.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Agrikk posted:

May you stay forever won. Spodbless.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

bring back lobby crew

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

im on comms every time i play and so far i have yet to hear a shitlord nor a braindead shrieker so lol

I'm going to shriek just for you when I find you in mumble.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Hexel posted:

bring back lobby crew

PL needs the recruits

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

yogizh posted:

I'm going to shriek just for you when I find you in mumble.

i was one of the aussies hootin and hollerin in that one fleet saturday night/sunday morning :3:

wait a sec, am i the baddy? :ohdear:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh hey: https://massivelyop.com/2019/01/07/eve-online-cheater-accidentally-exposes-himself-in-a-hilarious-way/

In before "ALL GOONS CHEAT BAN THEM ALL BECAUSE WE CAUGHT THIS ONE GUY1!1!1!1!1!1"

And the "grrr goons" vitriol isn't new. The reasons behind it are simple: we robbed the common EVE-playing pubbie of the dream of a glorious endgame reward. They'll never be ~an elite~ in BoB (or PL) where they can feel like they "earned something," because a bunch of terrible people from a dead gay internet comedy forum managed to keep failing upwards while apathy and infighting murdered everyone else.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh hey: https://massivelyop.com/2019/01/07/eve-online-cheater-accidentally-exposes-himself-in-a-hilarious-way/

In before "ALL GOONS CHEAT BAN THEM ALL BECAUSE WE CAUGHT THIS ONE GUY1!1!1!1!1!1"

that wasn't a goon, it was the guy from bombers bar

but you better believe the gaara cynos thing got brought up about 500 times

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hexel posted:

bring back lobby crew

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

BUT WHAT ABOUT GOOOOOOOOONS

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

BUT WHAT ABOUT GOOOOOOOOONS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxUuDPNbkJk

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast

That is country in tyool 2019 ? Shits gone a long way. :staredog:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Klyith posted:

that wasn't a goon, it was the guy from bombers bar

but you better believe the gaara cynos thing got brought up about 500 times

Ah, I just assumed, since the "echos" were listed in an imperium channel.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yogizh posted:

That is country in tyool 2019 ? Shits gone a long way. :staredog:

That song is from August 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Klyith posted:

one of the dumb multi-purpose exploration / hacking / combat kitchen sink asteros that people like to fly

this is what i've lost, both times while hacking relics. the second time with like 100mil of loot in it. i'm poo poo at pvp and the few times ive tried it i've lost because people field better ships then me, for instance my first real attempt at finding solo fights was in a brawler-fit incursus with all T2 modules, i kept range on a tristan but in the end I lost because he was dealing more DPS than I did with his T2 drones. He had me in structure while I was still blatting down his armor

seems like i just need to study up on common fits and ships and know what fights to pick and when i'm outclassed and if i can't take somebody on then to just warp off and deal with it :shrug: