Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
By the way, I’m trying EOU2 Classic. Any suggestions for a party comp? I’m trying to work around a Beast and it’s a bit different than the story team’s dynamic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I was gonna say Highlander, Beast, Alchemist, Gunner, and Medic.

But then I realized that's practically the EOU party. :v:

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Blastinus posted:

By the way, I’m trying EOU2 Classic. Any suggestions for a party comp? I’m trying to work around a Beast and it’s a bit different than the story team’s dynamic.
5 survivalists

theshim
May 1, 2012

do not actually do 5 survivalists

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I'd say anything would work in that case. Just make sure you have some damage dealers (Ronin is mediocre, and while workable, may want to be avoided if you don't want to put that much work into the game) and some other supports as well.

werbear
Jan 14, 2017
If you want a strong defensive core Beast + War Magus + Hexer is a great combo. War Magus can deal good damage against enemies with an ailment with Ailing Slash and Vampire heals their line for a percentage of the damage they deal against enemies with an ailment - so passive healing for your tank!
If you throw in a Dark Hunter things get almost too easy.

With a more standard healing setup both War Magus and Medic work well with a Beast because of their targeted heals. Souvereigns works less good with them since Beasts often need burst healing.
Lategame Gunners synergize well with them. Point Blank -> Burst Shot deals good damage from the frontline and Gunners are not the sturdiest class.
Ronins are sadly not all that strong - but they would still benefit from the Beast's tanking.
Highlanders hiding behind a Beast can sacrifice their HP with reckless abandon. Just make sure to not buff your Beast with Bloody Offence.
There are also the Palm skills for Alchemists... but I never found them all that interesting or impressive. They are TP efficient, sure but sadly their peak damage is pretty low and their area coverage is less than stellar. But if you wanted to use a Palm Alchemist a Beast is almost a must.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finished eou, 5-turned the core because that thing sucks and I hate it, then took a break to play enter the gungeon

started EOU2 and I kinda love how weird this story party is, the protector is the only standard party member

I have no idea what to be aiming for on the war magus though, I know barrier/ailing slash are both amazing but I don't know which to go for first

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Healing and Barrier are good to start off with, especially if you're starting on Expert. After that there's Ailing Slash and Vampire where Chloe can move to the front row. You'll have a bit of a rough start where your best damage dealer for a while is Flavio, but once Knight Knight gets going, I believe there's a song I can link, let me see if I can ju- NO MORE GAMES

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Barrier is not a skill I would go for now. It needs a huge investment in both Barrier and War Lore to be reliable, on top of needing Grimoires to reach guaranteed chances, which isn't feasible to go for early. While it's not terrible at lower levels, those skill points can easily make Chloe more impactful if they were say, stuffed into Ailing Slash or rather the skills leading up to it.

Ailing Slash is a really good skill to go for, since Flavio has access to Blind, which is the easiest ailment to land. And he can grab that skill pretty early.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Crosspeice posted:

Healing and Barrier are good to start off with, especially if you're starting on Expert. After that there's Ailing Slash and Vampire where Chloe can move to the front row. You'll have a bit of a rough start where your best damage dealer for a while is Flavio, but once Knight Knight gets going, I believe there's a song I can link, let me see if I can ju- NO MORE GAMES

Dr. Fetus posted:

Barrier is not a skill I would go for now. It needs a huge investment in both Barrier and War Lore to be reliable, on top of needing Grimoires to reach guaranteed chances, which isn't feasible to go for early. While it's not terrible at lower levels, those skill points can easily make Chloe more impactful if they were say, stuffed into Ailing Slash or rather the skills leading up to it.

Ailing Slash is a really good skill to go for, since Flavio has access to Blind, which is the easiest ailment to land. And he can grab that skill pretty early.

alright thanks, i'm guessing Flavio should focus on blind(and later paralysis) for now too given the synergy there

I don't know when I should start dipping into his agility tree though

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Yinlock posted:

I don't know when I should start dipping into his agility tree though

Once you have all of the bow skills you want at decently high levels.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I would also recommend Ailing Slash early, as that's when Fafnir is at his weakest, and the extra (considerable!) damage output of Ailing Slash can really help on bosses and FOEs.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

transform is really fun

these ragelopes demand games but I will give them none

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 9, 2019

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

so what is the king element of EOU2 anyway, i've been concentrating on fire/volt because those were good in 1 but suddenly everyone and their grandma is weak to ice

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
EOX soon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I do wish they hadn't like surgically managed to exclude the vast majority of my favorite classes in the big send off game for the 3DS (Beast, Wildling, Yggdroid, Necromancer, Rover, Masuaro, Dragoon, Troubadour)

:sigh:

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

Yinlock posted:

so what is the king element of EOU2 anyway

Iirc volt should have the least resistances and either the most or second most weaknesses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zore posted:

I do wish they hadn't like surgically managed to exclude the vast majority of my favorite classes in the big send off game for the 3DS (Beast, Wildling, Yggdroid, Necromancer, Rover, Masuaro, Dragoon, Troubadour)

:sigh:

That's what happens when you base it off of a poll. There's a lot of redundancy too: did we really need Nightseekers and Reapers?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
No Hoplites, poo poo game/10.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

werbear posted:

Iirc volt should have the least resistances and either the most or second most weaknesses.

alright thanks

I know I should invest in every element but fafnir is just so thirsty for skill points

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

alright thanks

I know I should invest in every element but fafnir is just so thirsty for skill points

Yeah, that's like post-game stuff. But Fire and Volt are the biggest ones you want, early, iirc. Especially Fire by S3's end. (They changed Scylla's weakness from Volt to Fire despite it being Volt in EO2 and 3!)

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Yeah, I'm sad many of my favorites are missing. It feels so melee heavy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

No Hoplites, poo poo game/10.

aren't they just protectors with crappy spear skills instead of crappy sword skills?

e: oh except all their skills are way better

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 11, 2019

theshim
May 1, 2012

Hoplites had great skills and fuckin' rad aesthetics.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yinlock posted:

aren't they just protectors with crappy spear skills instead of crappy sword skills?

e: oh except all their skills are way better

Pretty much. They could also actually tank damage in another party members place. (Protectors in 1 and 2 only had indirect ways of doing that through Provoke.) The only thing that was really nerfed was their Elemental Walls getting their healing taken away (which not many people really cared about.)

You could also make one into a Ninja and hoo boy, did they get crazy when that happened.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
I feel weirdly unenthused for EOX. Maybe it's the cast, maybe it's the lukewarm level design. I expected to care more about it by now? Especially given how much I enjoyed 5.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
a lot of the cast are pretty boring tbh. The fact that so many of the more unique classes got cut out because they're not popular enough is lame.

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012
Can't you technically use a Hoplite portrait for your Protector anyway? Enduring the fact that your weapon won't match, as with any class that can use multiple weapons.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

Can't you technically use a Hoplite portrait for your Protector anyway? Enduring the fact that your weapon won't match, as with any class that can use multiple weapons.

Any of the DLC portraits can be used with any class. It's just the base portraits that are restricted to their own classes.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Dr. Fetus posted:

Any of the DLC portraits can be used with any class. It's just the base portraits that are restricted to their own classes.

Wait what for real?

Gdi I was gonna use the Pugilist portrait for another class

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 12, 2019

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

blizzardvizard posted:

Wait what for real?

Gdi I was gonna use the Pugilist portrait for another class

Fetus is mistaken.

This is a Harbinger (Reaper) with a Sovereign portrait. You can mix and match portraits any which way.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh, about time they finally did away with that restriction! :woop:

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Oh phew

I was all ready to overhaul my team comp just so I can use the portrait :v:

Botman
Mar 3, 2006
DASH DASH DASH!!!!
Just picked EO4 back up again, and I just finished mapping out the 2nd major dungeon. I just need to fight the boss, so quick question: would it affect any medals if I put it on Casual difficulty to grind before the next boss? (I plan to switch back to Normal for the actual boss fight.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Botman posted:

Just picked EO4 back up again, and I just finished mapping out the 2nd major dungeon. I just need to fight the boss, so quick question: would it affect any medals if I put it on Casual difficulty to grind before the next boss? (I plan to switch back to Normal for the actual boss fight.)

No, that medal only cares about boss fights.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Darn my EO4 cartridge is getting wonky about whether my 2DS can read it.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I went digital for eo4 :(

Violently Car
Dec 2, 2007

You are now entering completely darkness

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Fetus is mistaken.

This is a Harbinger (Reaper) with a Sovereign portrait. You can mix and match portraits any which way.

I've always wondered why the Japanese versions of the game have the internal name "Etrian Odyssey (number)"...

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

I really wish this was coming out for Switch instead. It was pretty great to swap between TV and portable while playing through Labyrinth of Refrain.

I haven't powered on my 3DS since... Since I finished EO5, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Violently Car posted:

I've always wondered why the Japanese versions of the game have the internal name "Etrian Odyssey (number)"...

Probably because English is the de facto programming language even in Japan, and they recognize Etrian Odyssey as the "correct" translation of Sekaiju no Meikyuu. If you go through the data of a Japanese game, almost everything has an English placeholder name of some sort.