Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
I had a friend that was super into the Lunar games and I asked them about that DS one only to be met with a 1000-yard stare and a face like they were recalling atrocities from the war. I never bothered to look into the details. That's a lot... Early hardware cycle games are always a trip of terrible decisions.

As for jank from using an emulator, those colors and that hosed up rainbow effect were all on original hardware. The only emulator error for the LP is the screen flickering from Yuri's transformations. I had to turn off the blurring effect a ton of PS2 games slathered all over the screen because it caused like three frames of ghosting on every animation and looked horrific for screenshots. The effect didn't make that rainbow attack look any less shite.

Edit: The next dungeon and boss loving SUUUUUUUUUUCK! :suicide:

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

placid saviour posted:

I haven't played this game, but what the actual poo poo?! Is this an overexaggeration or genuinely how the mechanics work? Because I can't fathom anyone thinking this is a good idea, much less a game dev.

Yeah, it was horrendous. Everyone did a pretty god job of covering some of the absolutely awful decisions, but to go get the full experience, you should check out the LP HardDiskD linked. It does a real good job of taking apart Dragon Song.

The Dark Id posted:

I had a friend that was super into the Lunar games and I asked them about that DS one only to be met with a 1000-yard stare and a face like they were recalling atrocities from the war. I never bothered to look into the details. That's a lot... Early hardware cycle games are always a trip of terrible decisions.

The Dark Id posted:

Edit: The next dungeon and boss loving SUUUUUUUUUUCK! :suicide:

Huh, I've played this game before and I don't know which dungeon you're talking about. I think I also had a higher pain tolerance back then, so maybe that's why.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Such a shame because Silver Star and Eternal Blue are awesome, and that series has so much potential, plot-wise. I really hate that they just keep remaking those two games.

Hell, Lufia is the same way. Breath of Fire, Lunar, Lufia, and Suikoden are my dream RPGs that will never get more entries. I also think I'm one of like, 3 people who liked Curse of the Sinistrals.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Ugh, forced early release DS mechanics. I remember those ever so fondly. I guess a lot of people here will have played Dawn of Sorrow, seeing how popular it was, and it always grated on me just how completely useless and shoehorned-in the seal drawing was. Dawn of Sorrow is a great game, a wonderful handheld Castlevania entry in really every sense... that also doesn't use touch controls, like, basically at all.

Except at the end of boss fights. Then, it forces you to scramble for the stylus that you haven't needed in hours and draw a progressively more complex symbol while it times you, and you either succeed or get to re-do the final phase of the boss fight. If you're bad at that kind of fast coordination, it might take you three, four, or even more tries.

I am so glad the whole stylus input gimmick mostly died an ignoble death years ago.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Cardiovorax posted:

Ugh, forced early release DS mechanics. I remember those ever so fondly. I guess a lot of people here will have played Dawn of Sorrow, seeing how popular it was, and it always grated on me just how completely useless and shoehorned-in the seal drawing was. Dawn of Sorrow is a great game, a wonderful handheld Castlevania entry in really every sense... that also doesn't use touch controls, like, basically at all.

Except at the end of boss fights. Then, it forces you to scramble for the stylus that you haven't needed in hours and draw a progressively more complex symbol while it times you, and you either succeed or get to re-do the final phase of the boss fight. If you're bad at that kind of fast coordination, it might take you three, four, or even more tries.

I am so glad the whole stylus input gimmick mostly died an ignoble death years ago.

I was so happy when I discovered a patch that removes all the stylus parts from Dawn of Sorrow, even breaking those blocks

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I was so happy when I discovered a patch that removes all the stylus parts from Dawn of Sorrow, even breaking those blocks
:stare: Please give me a link, or at least a name.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

I think in Julius Mode it skips that, too, partially because Yoko might have it on lockdown.

But yeah, I think the only early-DS game I still have a soft spot for that had ultra-heavy touchscreen control emphasis was LostMagic, which still had its own issues (you don't need to put timers on every battle, seriously) but dodged most of the touch wonkiness by one, having a lot of RTS in its blood, and two, basically only using the buttons as camera controls.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm on my phone right now but it's on romhacking.net

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm on my phone right now but it's on romhacking.net
Found it, here's a link for everyone.

Thank you so much. I will ordain my firstborn raccoon as a rabbi in your honor.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Such a shame because Silver Star and Eternal Blue are awesome, and that series has so much potential, plot-wise. I really hate that they just keep remaking those two games.

Hell, Lufia is the same way. Breath of Fire, Lunar, Lufia, and Suikoden are my dream RPGs that will never get more entries. I also think I'm one of like, 3 people who liked Curse of the Sinistrals.

Curse of the Sinistrals is a bit tragic really. The technical issues are... very noticeable, to a degree I can't fault people for mostly rejecting it. But aside from that it's almost a perfect remake? It captures the bits and pieces of each character and expands them in logical ways that, while still on the cliche way, mesh together pretty well. Never mind that the original plot wrinkle that made Lufia II stand out, that the hero and heroine got married in the middle, is STILL nearly unique to this one game.
It kept the puzzle element, but adapted it in a way that made sense in the ARPG direction they went. The more pointless jaunts that made sense in a turn-based game for padding were excised to keep the plot moving smoothly. Probably the only non-technical letdown was most of the bosses aren't really very interesting, but then again the Sinistrals were one-dimensional bruisers in Rise of the Sinistrals too so... *shrug*

I am pretty sure I would think long and hard about blood sacrifices if it guaranteed me an honest to god Suikoden VI. ... or a new Shadow Hearts game for that matter.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The best DS gimmick game will forever be Zero Escape.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

CmdrKing posted:

Curse of the Sinistrals is a bit tragic really. The technical issues are... very noticeable, to a degree I can't fault people for mostly rejecting it. But aside from that it's almost a perfect remake? It captures the bits and pieces of each character and expands them in logical ways that, while still on the cliche way, mesh together pretty well. Never mind that the original plot wrinkle that made Lufia II stand out, that the hero and heroine got married in the middle, is STILL nearly unique to this one game.
It kept the puzzle element, but adapted it in a way that made sense in the ARPG direction they went. The more pointless jaunts that made sense in a turn-based game for padding were excised to keep the plot moving smoothly. Probably the only non-technical letdown was most of the bosses aren't really very interesting, but then again the Sinistrals were one-dimensional bruisers in Rise of the Sinistrals too so... *shrug*

I am pretty sure I would think long and hard about blood sacrifices if it guaranteed me an honest to god Suikoden VI. ... or a new Shadow Hearts game for that matter.

That lag was pretty awful, but on the other hand I got to crush Amon in 20 seconds using a boxing glove coming out of a suitcase

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

It's the other thing Dekar is best at: stealing Tia's weapon and making it look better than she ever could.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

DeafNote posted:

I didn't actually play 999, I just read the LP, so I forgot about it. This is the actual truth.

CmdrKing posted:

As for Tierkreis, I think it was late enough in the DS' lifecycle that it didn't have forced touchscreen but I never finished it. It seemed to me at the time it was an alright-but-not-great JRPG and later talks about it with people that have played other Suikoden games have reinforced that opinion, added that it has some good ideas and great character designs, and most importantly that it would have been better received as a standalone IP rather than on the back of a franchise with a long, storied history, But Konami Happened.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

CmdrKing posted:

It's the other thing Dekar is best at: stealing Tia's weapon and making it look better than she ever could.

If you don't give Tia a chance to shine and take center stage for once you're a monster and I hope Gades comes after your town next

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Cardiovorax posted:

Found it, here's a link for everyone.

Thank you so much. I will ordain my firstborn raccoon as a rabbi in your honor.

There's also a hack for DoS that fixes the Luck stat, which was glitched in the game to have basically no effect on drops or souls.
A pretty major reason why obtaining alot of souls was so rare.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

AweStriker posted:

It seemed to me at the time it was an alright-but-not-great JRPG
Honestly, I always kind of thought that this just makes it par for the course. The sheer amount of recruitable characters and the army combat mechanics made Suikoden a fairly unique series, but they're not all that outstanding by modern standards. They're mostly interesting due to their role in video game history. They were one of, or even the, first major series to come up and consistently use a lot of gameplay features that are seen as standard for C/JRPG these days. Things like an expandable player base, party members you can talk to, optional recruitments, that kind of stuff.

Tierkreis isn't really a lot better or worse than the Playstation games were. It's just that it was made ten years after the titles that most people remember so fondly. It's like comparing Final Fantasy 4 to Final Fantasy 9, it just won't look that good simply because games have evolved a lot in the meantime.

quote:

There's also a hack for DoS that fixes the Luck stat, which was glitched in the game to have basically no effect on drops or souls.
A pretty major reason why obtaining alot of souls was so rare.
It totally works, it's just that the curve is such that it peaks sharply at around ~1024 luck or so and then sharply descends again to basically nothing. Hack your Luck stat to 1023 and you will get a soul drop literally every time, hack it to 10000 and you get nothing. I tried.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 7, 2019

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Tierkreis is definitely a step back for the Suikoden series in a vacuum. Put it side-by-side with Suikoden II, despite the translation Suikoden II has a more nuanced use of theme, more complex internal politics, better driving conflict, more interesting gameplay (just by adding more ways to tweak your party, and thus giving you more stuff to DO with your cast of dozens), stronger main-cast writing, and waaaay stronger villain writing. Not to say Tierkreis is bad, the "it'd be a solid 6-7/10 in most people's books if they hadn't slapped the Suikoden name on it" take is pretty hard to dispute, but it's just not as good a game as most of the actual Suikoden games.

And that's before factoring in the slowly expanding integrated world of the original series, which is the main reason I always specify "Suikoden VI" and not "more Suikoden".

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Tierkreis isn't really a lot better or worse than the Playstation games were.

I will fight you

E: f,b

placid saviour fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 7, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

:v: Alright, alright, please don't bite me. In all fairness, it's substantially worse than Suikoden 2 was, but that's kind of the peak of the series and a bit of a tough act to follow. I just didn't really think it was substantially worse than, like, Suikoden 1 or 3, if you put them side by side.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
If you lost your stylus like I did, you can always use your finger for the touchscreen.

Also the next boss is indeed a pain. He's one of the few that actually gave me a game over.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oh! Valkyrie Profile! Make it a round 5 to my RPG list.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Yeah, I remember the next boss being real rough too.

Cardiovorax posted:

It totally works, it's just that the curve is such that it peaks sharply at around ~1024 luck or so and then sharply descends again to basically nothing. Hack your Luck stat to 1023 and you will get a soul drop literally every time, hack it to 10000 and you get nothing. I tried.

There's no way you'll get to luck stats anywhere near that without hacking though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cyflan posted:

There's no way you'll get to luck stats anywhere near that without hacking though.
Yeah, you can't even come close. It doesn't even really help to try, because the formula is such that the bonus only meaningfully starts to diverge from zero around a luck value of 800 or so. The curve is nearly flat until that point. It's not glitched in the sense that there's a coding error, but I don't think anyone who actually understands math ever looked at the drop rate formula before the game was shipped.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Oh! Valkyrie Profile! Make it a round 5 to my RPG list.

God, Valkyrie Profile was so weird and good.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

Guys, stop reminding me of the mythical, long lost golden age when Konami made games. It's making me sad to remember that we won't ever get any more castlevanias, suikodens, metal gears*...

*gently caress NO DOES METAL GEAR SURVIVE COUNT

Honestly, I would forgive Konami for a lot of the crap it's pulled over the past couple years if they started making real vidya games again, and not pachislot garbage. Oh well, I guess I'll put that in my hilariously unrealistic dreams box, along with Shadow Hearts sequels and the death of EA, Ubisoft, and other such companies...

DiggleWrath fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jan 8, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I'll toss in my wish for a main series Star Ocean game that isn't complete garbage, too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is technically not a Castlevania game, but really the only thing that's missing is the name.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

ultrafilter posted:

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is technically not a Castlevania game, but really the only thing that's missing is the name.
Yeah, even if Ritual of the Night bombs hard, Igarashi still managed a better record than Inafune, at least...

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

ultrafilter posted:

I haven't been keeping up with a lot of game related stuff recently, because life, but I'll check it out whenever it comes out on GoG, because I refuse to give Steam my money these days.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I wish more of those "retro" Castlevania knock-offs on Steam and GoG were ripping off Symphony of the Night rather than Simon's Quest.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

DeafNote posted:

They had to completely replace the gimmick puzzle for the PS4 port. As I understand it, the PS4 puzzle is much easier.

DiggleWrath posted:

Guys, stop reminding me of the mythical, long lost golden age when Konami made games. It's making me sad to remember that we won't ever get any more castlevanias, suikodens, metal gears*...

*gently caress NO DOES METAL GEAR SURVIVE COUNT

Honestly, I would forgive Konami for a lot of the crap it's pulled over the past couple years if they started making real vidya games again, and not pachislot garbage. Oh well, I guess I'll put that in my hilariously unrealistic dreams box, along with Shadow Hearts sequels and the death of EA, Ubisoft, and other such companies...

Thanks to the recent law change allowing actual casinos in Japan now, the entire pachinko industry is expected to almost completely die soon. Rumors are that Konami is gearing up to return to video games because they're going to go bankrupt if they don't.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

...! posted:

Thanks to the recent law change allowing actual casinos in Japan now, the entire pachinko industry is expected to almost completely die soon. Rumors are that Konami is gearing up to return to video games because they're going to go bankrupt if they don't.

and they basically ruined a lot of good will not only with gamers, but with the industry like trying to prevent Kojima from accept an award that HE earned, so they just basically hosed themselves over.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cardiovorax posted:

Supposedly, the formula was:

{100[(Drop Rate in Decimal Form)*12]} / [4096 -(LCK/2)]

10000 would make the denominator negative.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

I wish more of those "retro" Castlevania knock-offs on Steam and GoG were ripping off Symphony of the Night rather than Simon's Quest.

There's approx. 4 million Symphony of the Night clones already though.

DiggleWrath
Aug 30, 2018

O O
>

...! posted:

Nice! I think this came up many pages ago in the thread. This brings joy to my soul.

Robindaybird posted:

and they basically ruined a lot of good will not only with gamers, but with the industry like trying to prevent Kojima from accept an award that HE earned, so they just basically hosed themselves over.

Nice! This make me sad again, but hey. Maybe Konami can turn their reputation around... Welp, into the ludicrously unlikely dreams that goes to replace "konami make vidya gaems agin".

I just really want a Suikoden II remake with a localization doesn't use punctuation like it'll go extinct if you don't every sentence with 10 exclamation marks. Or one that's missing critical songs. Or one that doesn't forget to translate some of the lines. Or one that has more than 5 or 6 people that worked on it really

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that's basically how the formula worked and exactly the reason why it's so wonky. The value jumps towards infinity right before it becomes a division by zero (why), but it's otherwise so flat that 99 luck gives you maybe one extra percent on a 5% drop rate.

quote:

There's approx. 4 million Symphony of the Night clones already though.
Well, if you're gonna steal, steal from the best, not the ones that went extinct right afterwards because nobody wanted them anymore.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Tallgeese posted:

Supposedly, the formula was:

{100[(Drop Rate in Decimal Form)*12]} / [4096 -(LCK/2)]

10000 would make the denominator negative.

Doesn’t that mean that at 0 (or for that matter 1000) luck your drop rate is about 1/4 of what it should be?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's additive. You get that much of a bonus on top of what the base drop rate already is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yeah, "earth" has always seemed like kind of the weird stepchild of the elements, come to think. FIRE! ICE! LIGHTNING! ...uh, I threw a rock at him?