Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

BlackMK4 posted:

seems legit, I'll order one off ebay because gently caress amazon

OT, but you seriously prefer ebay over amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slidebite posted:

I’m not him but I do! I don’t always need everything immediately so I like to check if I can save a few bones.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

slidebite posted:

Actually, yeah, because tax isn't applied and you can usually get better prices on everything in the first place. I had Prime for a while and I realized it just made me spend more money because I was buying poo poo I didn't really need to hit the free shipping threshold.

I've never really had a bad experience through eBay, but I don't buy stuff from the China sellers and what I do buy is generally from bigger merchants anyway.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Also I think Jeff has enough money now. If there's a comparable price elsewhere, I'll try to give them the business where possible. There's a chance that they'll be less exploitative of the market and their employees than amazon, too.

But if Amazon is far and away cheapest, or most convenient (when it matters), then gently caress it. Maybe I don't have very strong convictions :shobon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Amazon can almost always get the item to me in 48 hours so my convictions can get hosed I need that poo poo now.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Raluek posted:

Also I think Jeff has enough money now. If there's a comparable price elsewhere, I'll try to give them the business where possible. There's a chance that they'll be less exploitative of the market and their employees than amazon, too.

But if Amazon is far and away cheapest, or most convenient (when it matters), then gently caress it. Maybe I don't have very strong convictions :shobon:
This is basically my perspective. I don’t like Bezos, and I don’t like amazon, but if they provide a direct benefit, I’m not overcome by guilt.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Oddly some stuff can even be cheaper from mcmaster-carr, especially odd/specialty stuff. That miniature wright ratchet I bought came from mcmaster and was cheaper, shipped, from them than the ratchet alone on amazon, at least at the time. Add a couple other oddball things you want a small quantity of or need that you can't get locally (looking at you, kroil) and you can come out ahead if you do your research first. Some people get paranoid about the undisclosed shipping rates but I've always found them to be reasonable when I get my invoice.

Also I live near enough the Atlanta warehouse that if I order by 6 pm I'll get it delivered to work around lunchtime the next day at ups ground rates, even though i'm in a different state.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

berth ell pup posted:

Also I live near enough the Atlanta warehouse that if I order by 6 pm I'll get it delivered to work around lunchtime the next day at ups ground rates, even though i'm in a different state.

We're 2.5 hours from the Elmhurst warehouse and get stuff next day.

If you're real close, you can just go pick it up for free same day.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Any opinion on these kinds of ear plugs?

https://www.mcmaster.com/#54875T7

I've always used foam ones for long periods of use, but they are annoying now as an engineer cause I'm always taking them out to talk to customers.

Are this style easy to put in and out? Good sound protection? My biggest issue with the foam ones is getting them in and waiting for them to expand and fill my ear, especially if I'm putting them in often.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I hate them but it tends to be a really individual thing how much that type bugs you.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I don't use those in particular, but I use triple-flange silicone plugs all the time for loud tools, movie theaters, rock concerts, and, back in the day, my kid's orchestra concerts.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

powderific posted:

I hate them but it tends to be a really individual thing how much that type bugs you.

I've also tried them and hated them. The edges of the cups feel stabby in my ears after a while.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Uthor posted:

I've always used foam ones for long periods of use, but they are annoying now as an engineer cause I'm always taking them out to talk to customers.

Are this style easy to put in and out? Good sound protection? My biggest issue with the foam ones is getting them in and waiting for them to expand and fill my ear, especially if I'm putting them in often.

It really, really depends on your ear canal. I personally use Howard Leight Laser Lites as my go-to disposable. They form their installed shape quite quickly (goes without saying, but don't use old earplugs) and are quite comfortable. I actually use them for sleeping if I am somewhere noisy.

BUT, I'm telling you dude, speaking as someone that uses hearing protection multiple times a day every day, if you need to talk to people often enough just get some electronic earmuffs. Problem solved. Everything is amplified so you can hear speech perfectly well, possibly better than normal if your hearing is starting to go, but anything loud enough to damage your hearing is muted.

Or, even the non-amplified ones are very easy to just lift up an ear and talk and then put back down immediately.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My cat cannot wait for other services to bring it cat food only amazon is capable of stopping the mewing in 12 hours or less.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

slidebite posted:

It really, really depends on your ear canal. I personally use Howard Leight Laser Lites as my go-to disposable. They form their installed shape quite quickly (goes without saying, but don't use old earplugs) and are quite comfortable. I actually use them for sleeping if I am somewhere noisy.

BUT, I'm telling you dude, speaking as someone that uses hearing protection multiple times a day every day, if you need to talk to people often enough just get some electronic earmuffs. Problem solved. Everything is amplified so you can hear speech perfectly well, possibly better than normal if your hearing is starting to go, but anything loud enough to damage your hearing is muted.

Or, even the non-amplified ones are very easy to just lift up an ear and talk and then put back down immediately.

I use https://www.amazon.com/3M-Uncorded-...rds=3m+earplugs for everything, just keep the 200 pack in the garage and they come in handy.

I haven't heard of electronic earmuffs, though... I'm intrigued.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

They're the bees knees. If you want to try a pair, you can get some fairly inexpensive ones from sporting goods stores (hell, maybe even Walmart). I have a fairly cheap pair permanently in my shooting bag and I haven't gone deaf yet.

I suspect a $20-$30 walmart/Cabelas pair isn't the same as a $100 industrial pair, but might be good enough.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I use these electronic muffs shooting: http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2

They work well for outdoor shooting, but for indoor shooting I double up and wear them with foamies. Outdoor shooting with pistols (incl. 44mag), shotguns, and rifles they worked well. The exceptions were a semi-auto 7.62x54r rifle and, well, a Barrett (50cal). The x54r made me want to double up, but was alright. The Barrett was, well, a 50cal.

(And just realized I better check them to make sure the batteries haven't corroded in there... haven't shot in a while and they're in a humid basement)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

slidebite posted:

They're the bees knees. If you want to try a pair, you can get some fairly inexpensive ones from sporting goods stores (hell, maybe even Walmart). I have a fairly cheap pair permanently in my shooting bag and I haven't gone deaf yet.

I suspect a $20-$30 walmart/Cabelas pair isn't the same as a $100 industrial pair, but might be good enough.

I have the $14 Harbor Freight ones that I use in the garage and at the shooting range. They're thoroughly okay. I meant to replace them if I liked the idea but haven't found a need yet.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I have a pair of shur fire earplugs that I use at work, they have a nice little case that hangs on my vest. I also only have incidental exposure and not prolonged, so a high NRR wasn’t the priority. I’m of the opinion now that the best earplugs are the one you’re gonna use and think you should try as many as you can at any cost.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

I use these electronic muffs shooting: http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2

They work well for outdoor shooting, but for indoor shooting I double up and wear them with foamies. Outdoor shooting with pistols (incl. 44mag), shotguns, and rifles they worked well. The exceptions were a semi-auto 7.62x54r rifle and, well, a Barrett (50cal). The x54r made me want to double up, but was alright. The Barrett was, well, a 50cal.

(And just realized I better check them to make sure the batteries haven't corroded in there... haven't shot in a while and they're in a humid basement)
I use the Leight Impacts as well, and double up with these:

http://getdubs.com

Depending on what noise levels you’re trying to deal with, something like the dubs might be sufficient alone - and they’re designed to still allow conversations. My experience has been that they’re great for reducing vehicle noise and even music that’s a bit louder then I want, but generally still allow conversation. I wouldn’t use them alone for gunfire, but combined with the Leights, I’ve been very happy (ample for .223 and 54r, I dunno about .50).

Cat Hatter posted:

I have the $14 Harbor Freight ones that I use in the garage and at the shooting range. They're thoroughly okay. I meant to replace them if I liked the idea but haven't found a need yet.
Replace them. I went shooting with those once and will never do it again - they are not protective enough for much. (.22LR wasn’t an issue, 9mm was loud enough that I was concerned.)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 8, 2019

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Shooting, I would double up, with cheap foam plugs under electronic muffs. That way I could hear people talking, but the electronic muffs would cut out the shots. I don't quite understand how electronic muffs would work with continuous loud noise, as opposed to impulses.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Uthor posted:

I've got a pair of these attached to my hard hat

https://www.uline.ca/BL_1090/Cap-Mounted-Earmuffs

They work good. Been using these ones for years. Well different pairs, but that same kind/brand. They've always been sufficient for me, in the drilling industry. Even when standing within a foot or two of a hydraulic jack hammer, that is at times literally at ear level. They also hold my hardhat in place in the winter, when I might have a hood underneath it and my hat will fall off easily otherwise.

You mention being an engineer, are these for a factory floor type situation, or construction site type use?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Factory floor. Right now at a welding facility. Mostly ambient noise of many fans and grinders and guys with hammers.

It's for occasional walkthroughs at customer facilities, so I don't need ear muffs. I appreciate that others do.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I use a set of Etymotic plugs at work. Grinders, air drills, and the occasional tire bead seater/air blaster. Work provides the Howard Leight foam plugs, but I prefer these.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015IQ6HI4/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you have to wear a hard hat/bump cap, muffs are easily the most convenient because you can attach them directly to the side of your lid so they literally flip up/down as you need them.

That said, everyone's ears are different and some will certainly fit better than others. You'll have to just try some different ones and settle on the ones you like best.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Krakkles posted:

Replace them. I went shooting with those once and will never do it again - they are not protective enough for much. (.22LR wasn’t an issue, 9mm was loud enough that I was concerned.)

I really don't go shooting enough to not just use them over regular earplugs. I mostly use them for yard work and around circular saws/air tools when I can be bothered to get off my rear end and do something productive.

The other half of trying them out was to figure out not only if I like how electronic muffs work, but if I would wear them often enough to justify a better pair.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Cat Hatter posted:

I really don't go shooting enough to not just use them over regular earplugs. I mostly use them for yard work and around circular saws/air tools when I can be bothered to get off my rear end and do something productive.

The other half of trying them out was to figure out not only if I like how electronic muffs work, but if I would wear them often enough to justify a better pair.

Get a better pair. We are not trying to be assholes (yet by definition we come across as them) but you have a pair of eyes and ears. Don't cheapo out on that stuff. The HF is fine for a leaf blower or a miter saw, but firing a gun...egads.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Get a better pair. We are not trying to be assholes (yet by definition we come across as them) but you have a pair of eyes and ears. Don't cheapo out on that stuff. The HF is fine for a leaf blower or a miter saw, but firing a gun...egads.

Cat Hatter posted:

I really don't go shooting enough to not just use them over regular earplugs....

The earplugs I wear under them are sufficient even without earmuffs over them. If I went to the range even once a year I'd consider getting something better.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

slidebite posted:

If you have to wear a hard hat/bump cap, muffs are easily the most convenient because you can attach them directly to the side of your lid so they literally flip up/down as you need them.

That said, everyone's ears are different and some will certainly fit better than others. You'll have to just try some different ones and settle on the ones you like best.

Keeps my ears nice and toasty warm in winter too.

I usually use foam ear plugs when I shoot, but I'm always outdoors so its probably not nearly as bad as whatever dude bro has his loud as gently caress AR rapid firing inside or whatever.

My dad was in the air force back in the 60s and they didn't give a poo poo about ear protection apparently. So he was busting caps with machine guns and rifles, pistols etc, toosing some grenades probably too.

He "doesn't hear so well" these days.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

He "doesn't hear so well" these days.

What?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Huh, sonny? Speak up!

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Electronic earmuffs are sweet. I have a set of those as well as a set of Walker's Razor for shooting. They both work great for the task although they don't work for long arms with higher cheek welds/rapid fire applications i.e. some shotguns and clay shooting (they have a tendency to get pushed off of your firing-side ear) . I haven't really used them for power tool work since I'm usually by myself and just use regular foam inserts, but I'm sure they'd be great for it.

Sorry, what was that? I have regrets involving younger, dumber years and .44 Mags :downs:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

When I was a teenager, I bought an FN49 in 8x57 and the very, very first time I shot that thing, I was in a covered/enclosed firing line with zero hearing protection.

I never made that mistake again.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

slidebite posted:

When I was a teenager, I bought an FN49 in 8x57 and the very, very first time I shot that thing, I was in a covered/enclosed firing line with zero hearing protection.

I never made that mistake again.

Heh. Yeah I bet that hurt. I like movies where they are shooting out windows in the car. My god your next step would be the hearing aid center.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

Sorry, what was that? I have regrets involving younger, dumber years and .44 Mags :downs:

Another heh. Was young, dumb, full of you know what that rhymes. Was around 17, and myself and two friends who are close in years head to an indoor range. We had .380 and 9mm stuff so that is what we mostly shot.

But as we neared the end we eyed the rental section. And there it sat, a .44 Redhawk. So we rented that, and purchased a giant grizzly bear target (this thing was full color, think some bad wallpaper mural) that had to be strapped across three firing lanes since it was so big. So we had to coordinate sending it down. The plan was for us to unload on that bastard at the same time. I had the 44.

In short, it really is a hand cannon and I did feel it a tad the next day.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

If you were going to buy a Milwaukee M12 ratchet, which would you get? Primary use would be auto maintenance.

The 3/8” has more torque than the 1/4” - the 1/2” has the most, but diminishing returns. The non-FUEL have the least power, but have smaller heads that would fit in more places.

I’m leaning toward the 3/8” fuel, but I’m curious if anyone has any strong opinions.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Colostomy Bag posted:

But as we neared the end we eyed the rental section. And there it sat, a .44 Redhawk.

:hfive: Mine was a .44 Blackhawk, and I still have it. I nailed a sprinting jackrabbit at 80 yards with it, and have maintained a fond appreciation for hand-cannon caliber tools ever since.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Krakkles posted:

If you were going to buy a Milwaukee M12 ratchet, which would you get? Primary use would be auto maintenance.

The 3/8” has more torque than the 1/4” - the 1/2” has the most, but diminishing returns. The non-FUEL have the least power, but have smaller heads that would fit in more places.

I’m leaning toward the 3/8” fuel, but I’m curious if anyone has any strong opinions.

I just did this, and went with the 3/8 M12 Fuel, unfortunately I haven't tried it out yet. Reasoning was I probably use my 3/8 ratchet more than the others, and I already own one of those M18 nutfucker 9000 1/2" impacts for big stuff (that was big enough to completely gently caress the threads on a cross-threaded lug nut when I tried to take it off, and all I noticed was a slightly slower hammering briefly, and an intense burning sensation when I tried to pick up the lug nut off the ground).

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

boxen posted:

I just did this, and went with the 3/8 M12 Fuel, unfortunately I haven't tried it out yet. Reasoning was I probably use my 3/8 ratchet more than the others, and I already own one of those M18 nutfucker 9000 1/2" impacts for big stuff (that was big enough to completely gently caress the threads on a cross-threaded lug nut when I tried to take it off, and all I noticed was a slightly slower hammering briefly, and an intense burning sensation when I tried to pick up the lug nut off the ground).
Sounds reasonable to me, and I am also a BinfordMilwaukee NutFucker9000 owner.

I guess I'm teetering between that and the 1/4" (maybe even non-fuel?) because I have plenty of ways to break things loose, but really want something to spin things out in small spaces, but the 3/8" probably isn't THAT much bigger, and having some torque to it would let it spin a lot more things loose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
If you happen to have a Home Depot nearby, they sometimes have them on display. From what I remember, the 1/4" Fuel isn't hugely smaller than the 3/8" Fuel, but the non-Fuel versions of both are substantially less chunky. I went with the Fuel versions reasoning that if access was that tight, I could just use a normal ratchet, and would probably appreciate the power/speed of the Fuel versions more often than I'd wish they were smaller.