Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

this is what i've lost, both times while hacking relics. the second time with like 100mil of loot in it. i'm poo poo at pvp and the few times ive tried it i've lost because people field better ships then me, for instance my first real attempt at finding solo fights was in a brawler-fit incursus with all T2 modules, i kept range on a tristan but in the end I lost because he was dealing more DPS than I did with his T2 drones. He had me in structure while I was still blatting down his armor

seems like i just need to study up on common fits and ships and know what fights to pick and when i'm outclassed and if i can't take somebody on then to just warp off and deal with it :shrug:

I was having fun murdering Asteros in relic sites for a while and I can agree that the multi-purpose Astero is a recipe for failure. Either go full-on Battle Astero or just use a covops. But also, if someone fights you then you've likely already lost. Local, dscan and zkillboard are your tools. Also, gently caress doing relic sites in wormholes, they're way more dangerous and a pain in the rear end to boot. If you're living in a hole then find a good nullsec exit, zip around for a while hoovering up the region, and get out.

also, asteros are really quick to align. Practice using your "warp to" hotkey to get out in a hurry. Also set your overview so that it's big, obvious and always visible, and mash that hotkey if anything unexpected shows up on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Prop Wash posted:

If you're living in a hole then find a good nullsec exit, zip around for a while hoovering up the region, and get out.

I do live in a wormhole, and usually response is fast if I squawk for help, but what am i supposed to do in NS?

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

seems like i just need to study up on common fits and ships and know what fights to pick and when i'm outclassed and if i can't take somebody on then to just warp off and deal with it :shrug:

This is pretty much solo pvp. I dunno how new/experienced you are to Eve, but one thing I used to do a ton, still do to double check myself, is when i see a ship on dscan, Right click the ship in dscan and show info. By looking at ship bonuses/traits, slot layout and resist profile, you can kinda guess what they can be fit like.

Ex. If someone looks at the Incursus they know it 1) uses hybrids, which means its Kin/Therm locked 2) Most likely armor tanked, which means you don't want to shoot EM. You'll want to shoot Explosive, unless you think he filled his resist hole, then kin or therm. If you choose to engage him then you can check a few things like his speed, if velocity is over 500 m/s, he's got an AB. if he scrams you and doesn't web you, then his 3rd mid is a cap booster (most likely) and he now has the potential to be dual rep. If he does web + scram you, then he's probably just 1 ancil repper.

Basically, it's like a flowchart/checklist to learn.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

froody guy posted:

May you stay forever won. Spodbless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Klyith posted:

Mining is now viable, but the pair of hulks aren't. CCP turned the Rorqual into a capital mining ship; it uses 5 super-mining-drones that each mine like a T1 barge.

However rorqs can't mine mercoxit, so there is still a job available for barges.

Also they turned moon mining into an active mining job. Instead of towers sucking moon juice through a straw, the new moonbases blow a huge chunk of moon straight off the surface and tractor it up to create an asteroid belt. Those rocks have to be collected by miners. If you like mining, it is now highly lucrative.

How does mining go with a Rorq then? A single account parks a Rorq in a belt and just gobbles up rocks until the bay is full then the Rorq heads back to the local citadel or whatever it's called to unload? Or wasn't there a thing where the Rorq refines its own ore somehow? I've never played a rorq so I'm not sure if there would be a benefit to having multiple accounts subbed.

How does a Rorq player set up shop?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 8, 2019

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Agrikk posted:

How does mining go with a Rorq then? A single account parks a Rorq in a belt and just gobbles up rocks until the bay is full then the Rorq heads back to the local citadel or whatever it's called to unload? Or wasn't there a thing where the Rorq refines its own ore somehow? I've never played a rorq so I'm not sure if there would be a benefit to having multiple accounts subbed.

How does a Rorq player set up shop?

A single Rorq? No. Oh ho ho, no. My child, we have such sights to show you!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

this is what i've lost, both times while hacking relics. the second time with like 100mil of loot in it.

the main thing to know is that when you're not in a PVP combat fit, you will lose to anyone that is in one.

the astero is one of the few ships in the game that can do that multi-purpose thing, and it can just barely do it. but even then you're looking to kill only the most helpless of prey -- T1 explo frigs and such. the guys who bait in ventures and battle-herons do it because of overconfident astero pilots.

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

i'm poo poo at pvp and the few times ive tried it i've lost because people field better ships then me, for instance my first real attempt at finding solo fights was in a brawler-fit incursus with all T2 modules, i kept range on a tristan but in the end I lost because he was dealing more DPS than I did with his T2 drones. He had me in structure while I was still blatting down his armor
a blaster ship is probably one of the harder ones to start with, because blaster range is puny and you get kited easily. the tristan was likely mitigating damage in falloff and his drones are doing all the work -- on paper you almost certainly did more dps than him. brawling is tough because you have to go all-in from the start of the fight, meaning you need an instant decision from the starting conditions.

quote:

some guy on reddit made a pdf guide of t1 and faction frigates. those might be helpful places to start if you're doing frig pvp and need an overview of how each ship works.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwB1SiNPb6Y

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
z

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
o

watched all of that

Fratstar_Eatpuss
May 29, 2010

Eve players are loving insane

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have my own Corp I made on a dude a long time ago and dont really wanna lose it, but I want to get that guy down to delve. I dont mind doing the payment to get my Corp in the alliance, but I wont be ratting or anything with that guy, just manufacturing. I dont mind paying taxes but is this foolish? I could make my alt that never gets played CEO I guess. I dont know much about stuff.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

BUT WHAT ABOUT GOOOOOOOOONS

HOW DO 15 RORQUALS PULL DRONES AS SOON AS I START TO BOOSH ITS DA INPUT BROADCASTS

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

vandalism posted:

I have my own Corp I made on a dude a long time ago and dont really wanna lose it, but I want to get that guy down to delve. I dont mind doing the payment to get my Corp in the alliance, but I wont be ratting or anything with that guy, just manufacturing. I dont mind paying taxes but is this foolish? I could make my alt that never gets played CEO I guess. I dont know much about stuff.

If you don’t make money that would get taxed normally on that character then may as well bring the Corp with you, plus it’ll come in handy when you get into reactions and have 40 alts doing a bunch of bullshit every day

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Is Hole Squad still a thing?

Not that I'm thinking about coming back. Yup totally not considering that and buying a laptop that will run EVE.

I do miss dropping black-ops battleships on unsuspecting locals though. And scamming, I miss that too.

gently caress.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013
Don't do it Big. HV got the :commissar: treatment years ago.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

madjack posted:

Don't do it Big. HV got the :commissar: treatment years ago.

Ah, so the station I logged out in probably no longer exists then. I guess that might make my decision a bit easier.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Original message unreadable anymORE

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

froody guy posted:

Original message unreadable anymORE

Me beratna belta lowda, original message deciphered. Next era secured.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

froody guy posted:

Me beratna belta lowda, original message deciphered. Next era secured.

:drat:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Big McHuge posted:

Ah, so the station I logged out in probably no longer exists then. I guess that might make my decision a bit easier.

Your stuff is probably in asset safety in lowsec so come back and become a Pathfinder today!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also there are groups that do blops dropping.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

do not post large xenuria

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

ChickenWing posted:

do not post xenuria

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
:cripes:

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair
ADOPT NEUROTOXINS

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

Eve players are loving insane

Confirming.

In other news... I once had a max skilled Rorquel Pilot who also had near perfect mining, refining, and :science: skills... roughly 90 million SP worth.

Really I was just using her as a hauling alt for my main, who was a low-sec pirate at the time.

Long story short, I figured I could train another character to haul and sold her for 30ish billion. Then the person I sold it to promptly quit playing.

My two take homes from this story are:

1. Eve inflation is a bitch; and
2. Because of 1, and the new Rorquel excavator drone isk printing, I wish I never sold her.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I sold an alt for 19b in 2012 and i really miss having her because she flew moros and erebus :saddowns:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Even tho I've been playing EVE on and off for years, even though I often thought I would never come back.. the thought of selling my characters never even went through my head. Somehow... it feels wrong to do so, but that's just me :shrug:

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I played with a few friends back in 2004-2007 or so and when they stopped playing they all gave me their accounts.

So I sold them all for isk and dollars and kept my own habit up and running.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Dalael posted:

Even tho I've been playing EVE on and off for years, even though I often thought I would never come back.. the thought of selling my characters never even went through my head. Somehow... it feels wrong to do so, but that's just me :shrug:

My main I don’t think I would ever sell; however, the character in question, like I said was just a hauler alt to me despite the fact she had 90 million SP.

At the time there was no plex, so I was paying cash anyway and I just trained her to fo the opposite of pvping, but the thing is... I never used or did any of the poo poo she had the skills for.

Basically I wasnt in a null alliance, and was a mostly ‘self sufficient’ pirate in low-sec. I had a a second alt who I ran level 4s with very rarely if I needed extra money...

So stupidly when I got offered 30 bill for my ‘hauler’ I was like, “I will never need isk again!” I believed it so much I sold my mission runner too.

Unfortunately... I never considered eveflation.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

ZombieLenin posted:

So stupidly when I got offered 30 bill for my ‘hauler’ I was like, “I will never need isk again!” I believed it so much I sold my mission runner too.

Unfortunately... I never considered eveflation.

As a relative newbee, how bad is eveflation, really?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cobbsprite posted:

complicated. average earning power is much higher, but the price of items hasn't gone up because resource production has increased along with isk. a titan is much cheaper than it was 5 years ago, T2 hulls are more expensive, it evens out. the overall effect is that losses don't hurt as much. and someone who was rich 10 years ago when they quit and comes back today is now middle class, unless they invested everything in plex.

otoh a lot of the time when people are talking about eveflation they're looking at plex and SP. 90m SP today would be worth at least 70 billion isk.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Cobbsprite posted:

When I started playing in 2011 trit was 3 isk and plex 300 Million. Now trit is 3 isk and plex 1.9 Billion :shepspends:

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Yeah I really wish I'd had the foresight to spend all my cash on PLEX when I took a break a few years ago. I could have tripled my money.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
The funny thing is that the Consumer Price Index is actually steady, or even down over a long enough time frame.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Don't know who this guy is but im the parti cle board in the window next to the ac.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZekeNY posted:

The funny thing is that the Consumer Price Index is actually steady, or even down over a long enough time frame.

i stared at this for ages before figuring out i was in the eve thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Dalael posted:

From experience, buying them back 2 years later is pretty loving costly.