Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Is there a reason you don't want to just leave it in DND? I do that with my iPads. If you turn that setting on which still lets notifications appear when unlocked, the device pretty much functions normally when you're using it, aside from the little moon icon in the status bar.

gently caress I didn’t even consider that. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Boris Galerkin posted:

gently caress I didn’t even consider that. Thanks.

There's also an actual silent mode, which is always enabled for me. (However, it's a toggle and not a smart function as you've described.)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any cool use cases for USB - C accessories ya'll have come across? Is that Satechi thing good? What kinds of stuff can you do with it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Any cool use cases for USB - C accessories ya'll have come across? Is that Satechi thing good? What kinds of stuff can you do with it?

I don't like that style, they eliminate two ports and give you very little back. For day to day stuff, I really only use my Samsung T5 drive and I have a short USB C to USB C 3.1 cable for that.

For home studio stuff, I have two "HooToo" pigtails (with USB C power passthrough). I have both connected to monitors. One I have my MIDI control surfaces and keyboards plugged in. The other one uses the 87W power adapter and a USB audio interface/pre-amp with XLR and 1/4" inputs and 1/4" output for my headphones and a T3 drive for my instrument and Logic project files. It's really nice, because I can just plunk my rMBP down plug those in and I have Logic in one monitor and other apps like Amplitube in the other for my guitars.

Even though I'd never heard of HooToo before two years ago, these thing have been rock steady. While mine live permanently in my home office/studio, they're eminently portable. I'm a big fan and if I ever need to get anymore I'd probably get another (or an Anker pigtail)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Is there a reason you don't want to just leave it in DND? I do that with my iPads. If you turn that setting on which still lets notifications appear when unlocked, the device pretty much functions normally when you're using it, aside from the little moon icon in the status bar.

You don't see notifications pop up when using it in DND mode? They show up on the lockscreen, but won't "ding" you.

the way I understood it, op wanted something that was only silent/no notifications only when they weren't using it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Proteus Jones posted:

I don't like that style, they eliminate two ports and give you very little back. For day to day stuff, I really only use my Samsung T5 drive and I have a short USB C to USB C 3.1 cable for that.

For home studio stuff, I have two "HooToo" pigtails (with USB C power passthrough). I have both connected to monitors. One I have my MIDI control surfaces and keyboards plugged in. The other one uses the 87W power adapter and a USB audio interface/pre-amp with XLR and 1/4" inputs and 1/4" output for my headphones and a T3 drive for my instrument and Logic project files. It's really nice, because I can just plunk my rMBP down plug those in and I have Logic in one monitor and other apps like Amplitube in the other for my guitars.

Even though I'd never heard of HooToo before two years ago, these thing have been rock steady. While mine live permanently in my home office/studio, they're eminently portable. I'm a big fan and if I ever need to get anymore I'd probably get another (or an Anker pigtail)

Interesting, can you link to either the HooToo or Anker Pigtails? I'm intrigued.

I googled Anker Pigtail and got random Anker stuff.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Interesting, can you link to either the HooToo or Anker Pigtails? I'm intrigued.

I googled Anker Pigtail and got random Anker stuff.

Here's the HooToo I use for hooking in the power cable. I have an older one I use for USB MIDI devices, but that one doesn't pass through as much power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072268Q68

Here's an Anker hub I'm looking at to get for my laptop bag:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Adapter-Ethernet-ChromeBook/dp/B071G83L1J

I also have a bunch of these in my desk and laptop bag:

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook-Pixelbook/dp/B01AUKU1OO

NOT: these also work very well with the 2018 iPad Pro, which I use to noodle around in various music apps.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 3, 2019

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Proteus Jones posted:

Here's the HooToo I use for hooking in the power cable. I have an older one I use for USB MIDI devices, but that one doesn't pass through as much power.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072268Q68

Here's an Anker hub I'm looking at to get for my laptop bag:

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Adapter-Ethernet-ChromeBook/dp/B071G83L1J

I also have a bunch of these in my desk and laptop bag:

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Adapter-MacBook-Chromebook-Pixelbook/dp/B01AUKU1OO

NOT: these also work very well with the 2018 iPad Pro, which I use to noodle around in various music apps.

Thanks! :)

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Last Chance posted:

You don't see notifications pop up when using it in DND mode? They show up on the lockscreen, but won't "ding" you.

the way I understood it, op wanted something that was only silent/no notifications only when they weren't using it.

You do see and hear them as usual if you have the setting for DND to only apply when the screen is locked, as I said.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gotcha, I forgot about that option

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Let’s say I wanted to follow along with Bob Ross’ shows with my iPad and pencil. Is there anything better than procreate I should be looking at?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Anyone know of a Bluetooth receiver you can plug 2 sets of headphones into? So my wife and I could watch shows on the iPad without waking the kids...

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Feenix posted:

Anyone know of a Bluetooth receiver you can plug 2 sets of headphones into? So my wife and I could watch shows on the iPad without waking the kids...
Just get a headphone splitter cable and plug into whatever receiver? Or if you don't mind each listening with a one ear, AirPods or whatever sets of wireless earbuds like that.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Google “Bluetooth splitter”. I’ve never used one, but a ton apparently exist.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This is probably more of a Physics question than an iPad one, but since you all might have been in a similar situation...

I have the new Pro. I got the Pad and Quill Contega Thin. (BTW, decent case, but way too expensive for what it ended up being. (Fabric-ish coated cardboard folio with an elastic strap.)

Anyhoo, The case is fine and suits my needs. I wanted to also put a Gelaskin on the back. (an artsy full-back decal.)
The Pad & Quill case actually "attaches" to the iPad's back via 2 (what I am assuming reusable as I had to readjust a few times) adhesive (3M?) strips.

I am fairly confident that the adhesive strips will hold nicely to the Decal surface. My concern is, when pulling the iPad *away* from the P&Q folio adhesive strips, do we think it's going to pull/bubble up the decal? My thoughts were I'd apply the skin and then not put any "pull stress" on it for many days while it "cures".

Thoughts?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

The Pad & Quill case actually "attaches" to the iPad's back via 2 (what I am assuming reusable as I had to readjust a few times) adhesive (3M?) strips.

Yeah, I'm pretty not happy about the adhesive strips. Even cheap-rear end $20 cases on amazon use magnets.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty not happy about the adhesive strips. Even cheap-rear end $20 cases on amazon use magnets.

I probably could have read deeper on their site (or maybe it doesn't say) but for an 85 (?) dollar case, I was like, oh... this is it?? Some fabric lined cardboard (I assume it's cardboard, it feels like it) and some adhesive strips and an elastic strap to keep it closed?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The Herschel Anchor is still my favorite iPad sleeve. $11-$35 depending on the pattern and what’s on sale/where/etc.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

I probably could have read deeper on their site (or maybe it doesn't say) but for an 85 (?) dollar case, I was like, oh... this is it?? Some fabric lined cardboard (I assume it's cardboard, it feels like it) and some adhesive strips and an elastic strap to keep it closed?

I can’t complain about the rest of it. It’s all leather (no stiffener except the layered leather itself) and looks and feels fantastic. I just like to change up cases from time to time, and those 3M strips represent a level of commitment I’m not sure I’m ready to take.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
gelaskin added.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

that’s some skin

:allears:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

gelaskin added.

Owns

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks for the love. I had it on the iPad Air, too. Way back in the day. Was glad to see it still existed @ Gelaskins

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Feenix posted:

gelaskin added.

Amazing.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Update on the t, g, b, y, h keys being hosed up in portrait mode; took my second iPad 11 to the fruit stand because it immediately showed the same issue. The first tech seemed dubious, but he kept trying to replicate it with the tablet flat on the table and typing with his index fingers; that doesn't trigger the problem. Second tech did as I told him, and just held it up in portrait mode and typed with his thumbs like my use case and sure enough, problem was easily replicated.

The store manager is called over, they check over my history, and agree to another swap. I tell them I want to test this third tablet right there in store and, if the problem occurs again, I'd just like to refund entirely and be done with the 11 at this point. They were amenable, brought out my now third iPad Pro 11, and welp, same poo poo.

I strongly suspect that it's that extra bit of thinness + width on the 11 over the 10.5 that makes it, when held in a portrait grip, susceptible to an extra bit of torque or something that's causing the digitizer to not make full contact with the screen anymore in the lower-middle of the screen while held that way. Probably a literal case of "you're holding it wrong", but gently caress that, this is how I've used iPads primarily since they first debuted, and I'm not changing.

To their credit, it was no hassle to return the Pros and they even let me return the Smart Keyboard Folio, even though I bought that on launch day and am way the hell out of the regular return window at this point. They suggested keeping an eye out for any release notes in iOS updates that address keyboard issues and trying again at that time if I wish. It really doesn't seem like a software bug, but I'm not an iOS dev so who knows.

Instead, I think I'm going to just get a refurb 10.5 and rock that until an upgraded Mini comes out (rumored for spring, and I'm hoping that's true). Fuckin' bummer, gonna miss Face ID but the typing errors were infuriating.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
That sucks smr, but in a weird way, congrats on finding a definite flaw with the 11.

I also use my iPad like that a fair bit, and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. Don't want to get all tin foil-hatted, but they removed the split keyboard in portrait mode, but only for the new 11", it's still on the 9 & 10s.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I tested this myself on my 11" and was unable to replicate it, and I'm generally in portrait mode myself. There's times I occasionally miss a key, I think, but it's hard to tell because I type very sloppy and fast and autocorrect does all sorts of bonkers poo poo on iOS. I'm used to SwiftKey on Android, which has learned my typing pretty darn well over the last 7 years or whatever, but using 3rd party keyboards on iOS is rather problematic so I don't use SwiftKey there.

Anyways, sorry it didn't work out for you!

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Yeast posted:

That sucks smr, but in a weird way, congrats on finding a definite flaw with the 11.

I also use my iPad like that a fair bit, and I thought my mind was playing tricks on me. Don't want to get all tin foil-hatted, but they removed the split keyboard in portrait mode, but only for the new 11", it's still on the 9 & 10s.

It does suck, but I had a 10.5 couriered over from the local Apple Store yesterday and, maybe it's just me, but it feels like a much more solid device, physically, than the 11 did. The 10.5 is still insanely powerful and good so I'm okay with it (if I was a big Pencil user I'd probably be more put out but I'm not).

I really don't understand the decision to remove the split keyboard given this; I'm trying to think of an upside for Apple to that and can't, and think that having the split keyboard available would change my grip in portrait just enough to where the problem would probably go away (I really think it's the extra grip one has to apply at the edges when stretching thumbs to the middle of the screen that causes the issue).

smr
Dec 18, 2002

shortspecialbus posted:

I tested this myself on my 11" and was unable to replicate it, and I'm generally in portrait mode myself. There's times I occasionally miss a key, I think, but it's hard to tell because I type very sloppy and fast and autocorrect does all sorts of bonkers poo poo on iOS. I'm used to SwiftKey on Android, which has learned my typing pretty darn well over the last 7 years or whatever, but using 3rd party keyboards on iOS is rather problematic so I don't use SwiftKey there.

Anyways, sorry it didn't work out for you!

Yeah, just like the bend, who knows if it's a weakness in ALL 11 chassis, or I just got a bad run of them, or what.

The way I test replication of the error is to turn autocorrect off (otherwise it learns, corrects your typing, and hides the issue but not entirely) then just start a new note in Notes and type the word "that" over and over followed by "typing" over and over and then just count up how many t's and g's and y's are missing in the end. You can tell it's not a typo or you missing the key because I also count the keyboard sounds while typing; a true typo would either not have the keyboard sound (ie, you missed the keyboard entirely, which happens) or you'd have a wrong letter entered. But when you type "that", hear four keyboard clicks, but "hat" is what gets entered, you know you've got the issue.

Sounds bonkers, but had the senior tech test via this method and he got the problem immediately.

This 10.5 I got yesterday, just like my old 10.5, is an absolute dream to type on in the same fashion. Oh well. C'mon Mini 5 in the spring...

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I type with my thumbs alright while holding my 12.9” in portrait mode but I miss the hell out of the split keyboard. I really hope it comes back eventually. It was one of my favorite things.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

I still can't really make the problem happen. It could be I'm lucky, or maybe it's because I don't hold the edges that hard, I kind of rest it on my pinky. I took the best picture I could holding it with just one hand:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

shortspecialbus posted:

I still can't really make the problem happen. It could be I'm lucky, or maybe it's because I don't hold the edges that hard, I kind of rest it on my pinky. I took the best picture I could holding it with just one hand:

I think it would have been noted by the press or public in general if it happened to EVERY iPad; it might be something unique to my grip, even. I get that. But I proved to Apple that it was happening _to me_ on three straight iPad Pros. I'm going to be at my brother's this weekend and he also has an 11; going to see if I can replicate it there.

My grip is a bit different from yours. I don't use the pinky at all and have realized that, in order to stabilize it for typing, I do really crank the grip on the sides when portrait-typing. That said, it's never been an issue on any prior iPad so *shrug*

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Right, I get what you mean. It's more curiosity on my part and I suspect that you're right that it's a unique grip kind of thing. The new iPad is notorious for being some what flimsy compared to older ones, so it makes sense that if you have a particularly rough grip that it might be messing it up.

Anyways, you do you, baby, and glad the older one works!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
How does the pro handle pdf readers? I haven’t used an iPad since 2 and both it and the Fires I’ve used since seem to all share the same delay and load in problems.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think all new iPads handle pdf’s just fine. You don’t need a Pro for them to work good.

I use Notability and GoodReader to view and annotate PDF’s. Also Scanner Pro on my phone to scan documents to the format. It’s one of those things that iOS manages to do better than Windows or MacOS.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Absolutely loving the new 12.9" pro and pencil 2 so far for creative work!

I'm just wondering, is there a way I can import video into iOS garageband? I would like to score a few short video clips with some basic melodies but haven't found any way to do so on the iPad (you can do it on the Mac).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Supersonic posted:

Absolutely loving the new 12.9" pro and pencil 2 so far for creative work!

I'm just wondering, is there a way I can import video into iOS garageband? I would like to score a few short video clips with some basic melodies but haven't found any way to do so on the iPad (you can do it on the Mac).

Probably need to use iMovie or something.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Pencil 2 behavior chat: I leave my fully charged iPad Pro and nearly fully charged Pencil 2 magnetically linked. Days later, my (still magnetically connected) pencil 2 is literally at 0%.

How is it supposed to be charging? Only when the screen is on, orrrrr...?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Feenix posted:

Pencil 2 behavior chat: I leave my fully charged iPad Pro and nearly fully charged Pencil 2 magnetically linked. Days later, my (still magnetically connected) pencil 2 is literally at 0%.

How is it supposed to be charging? Only when the screen is on, orrrrr...?
i think it's only suppposed to need a bluetooth connection. Are you putting the ipad in airplane mode or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Last Chance posted:

i think it's only suppposed to need a bluetooth connection. Are you putting the ipad in airplane mode or anything

Nothing of the sort.
I connect it, it charges. But if I do t touch the iPad for a few days, the docked pencil 2 is dead or nearly.