Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Abi is great but I’d never want to be on a tribe with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

curiousCat posted:

I'm p sure there's documentation that Colton went directly to the hospital for surgery so I feel confident that medevac was legit

Also Abi is confrontational but I think not a single person in that cast has nice things to say about RC immediately afterwards

I'll believe it when you show it to me. Until then, I'll believe Jeff flat out calling it a quit on the show three seasons later.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

curiousCat posted:

Also Abi is confrontational but I think not a single person in that cast has nice things to say about RC immediately afterwards

RC seemed like a pill for sure. I wanted to like her too because she kind of looked like an offbrand Angelia and also RC cola is the best, but between her being a banker and then almost immediately trying to make the tribe go all mean girls I get it.

Boo, next season is fans vs favorites. I don't like that season gimmick. It's basically pros vs noobs, being a fan of the show doesn't seem to offer any kind of appreciable edge, if anything, it seems like it sets you up with a lot of preconceived notions you have to throw away once you're actually there shivering on the beach. I'm 100% a returnee will win, haven't even seen which ones are on yet.

Haha people cheered when Cochran and Dawn got off the chopper and scowled when Corinne got off. Erik is back and I hope he makes an amazingly dumb move. But Brandon and Phillip are both here so I feel like this season is going to be hella frustrating real fast.

Man, I do not dig challenges determined by beef mass.

Does Francesca technically qualify as worst player?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 6, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing about Colton is he DID quit the second time around and he was whining that he wanted to quit before he took power the first time around so its just impossible to find a reason to give the rear end in a top hat the benefit of the doubt on whether or not he really had a tummy ache.

Is it biased and kind of unfair? Absolutely. But that doesn't make it unearned.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Spergatory posted:

I'll believe it when you show it to me. Until then, I'll believe Jeff flat out calling it a quit on the show three seasons later.

https://uproxx.com/hitfix/hitfix-interview-colton-cumbie-talks-survivor-one-world/ ?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maybe I missed something in that link but I think cynics are gonna need something more than Colton's word to prove that Colton's word is credible.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Maybe I missed something in that link but I think cynics are gonna need something more than Colton's word to prove that Colton's word is credible.

During the reunion for BvW Colton calls him out on it and Jeff admits he was wrong

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

We're still just trading in Colton's word and whatever Jeff feels empowered to say as the representative of a multi billion dollar corporation. I could argue that I think Jeff was expressing his genuine contempt at quitters during the season taping and then was backtracking at the behest of CBS to avoid any problems at the reunion, but that would all be conjecture based on our feelings of the players. I think the point was you said there was some "documentation" that would take it out of that area.

Like I said, I think its a waste of energy because whether or not Colton quit the game because he was losing and lied about it to protect his ego he's a guy who repeatedly lied to protect his ego and ultimately quit because he was losing.

Also he's a loving racist and entitled rear end in a top hat in general, so gently caress him.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

colton is a bag of poo poo and i'll believe ANYTHING negative said about him

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't know what's better, Phillip going around sprinkling stealth r us codenames on literally everyone, or the fact that Andrea is annoyed by it because he's giving codenames to people outside of the alliance.

Shamar was a jerk with a suspicious medievac, he wasn't much fun .

Oh my god I hate Brandon, dude needs a therapist or medication or to be neutered or something holy poo poo. Please tell me CBS decided to not let him author more anything on their channel after this

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 7, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It's a bit weird since Caleb (RIP) seemed like a perfectly sweet guy from what we saw on the show, but I guess he saw something in Colton the majority of the world didn't.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Probably cause he got to see him outside of an incredibly high-stress situation?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Colton might be a nice guy in real life, but blasting racially charged comments within a week of the game says a lot.

Contestants get overedited, sure, and sometimes they even get their words twisted. But I don't think a lot of what Colton did on the show was unfairly shown (and I don't think he's ever actually complained about how he was portrayed).

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You're allowed to say "racist".

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
There was also that clip of Colton pulling his eyelids to mock asian tribemates. gently caress that guy.

The only seasons I can't rewatch are the ones with Colton, Russell, and Brandon. They're so genuinely unpleasant that they taint the whole show for me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Bad edit" or "stressful situation" just doesn't work when you're saying racist poo poo. People try that excuse but non racists don't start saying racist things when they're stressed and for as much as an edit can highlight only one side of you they can't make that side racist unless you do.

Colton's only defense was "I was trying to be funny". And all that means is "I find racism funny.". That's the best case scenario.

And beyond that he's still an entitled quitter.

Caleb seeming like a nice guy doesn't really affect anything for me. Lots of jerks and assholes and bad people have very nice people who love them.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Some people judge others based on their best self, reasoning that everyone has bad moments and that those shouldn't be taken as indicative of who they are as a whole.

I'm the opposite. I think any idiot can be nice for five minutes, especially when everything is going their way. I think people should be judged on how ugly they allow themselves to become when things get ugly around them. When they're tired, hungry, stressed, pissed off, whatever; what kind of person do they become then? I know not everybody handles everything perfectly every time, but I think your worst self is a lot closer to the truth than your best. I think a person who manages to remain calm and understanding even at their worst is a lot more impressive than someone who is calm most of the time but flies off the handle when things get bad.

So if Colton is perfectly nice and funny 90%, or even 99% of the time, good for him, but that 1-10% of him being a screaming, hateful, racist piece of poo poo is what I'm going to remember.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's essentially what "character" is, right? Who you are and how you act when poo poo hits the fan.

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

The only seasons I can't rewatch are the ones with Colton, Russell, and Brandon. They're so genuinely unpleasant that they taint the whole show for me.

And yeah I can see why you'd want to skip those. Brandon especially just can't handle when poo poo's not about him for two seconds. He makes Russell look well adjusted. I have actually forgotten Brandon was on the season I'm watching right now, it feels like two different shows. Brandon did his rage thing and was tribally executed and then a new season started mid-game.

I'll be glad to never see him again, but I hope the show goes on long enough we get to see one of his presumably terrible kids compete on the show.

edit: Random HII question: Is there a rule saying you can't find someone's idol and like hide or throw it away? Do they record 24/7, could you be sneaky and toss it when unsupervised if it was a rule?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 8, 2019

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

That's essentially what "character" is, right? Who you are and how you act when poo poo hits the fan.

Yeah. "How you act when no one's looking" or "how you act when the chips are down" or "how you treat someone you don't have to treat well." Everyone can get on their best behavior for someone with power over them or who they want to impress or what have you. Its how they treat everyone else that matters.

To me Colton's defining feature wasn't even the racism. It was the entitlement and how he treated everyone around him like poo poo. And when things went bad and the people less than him had power over him he quit rather than lower himself.

Khanstant posted:

edit: Random HII question: Is there a rule saying you can't find someone's idol and like hide or throw it away? Do they record 24/7, could you be sneaky and toss it when unsupervised if it was a rule?
I believe the official rules are someone's idol is there's unless they give it to you. So I assume doing that would be out of bounds.

It seems unlikely you'd be able to do that without a camera catching it. That's literally their job, to record everything and not miss something important like that.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 8, 2019

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I agree, even if he was woke as gently caress, he'd still have been acting like the world and island owed him.

And I suppose you're right, I can't be the only one to have thought it would be nice if someone's idol disappeared never to be seen again.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Ironically, this happened in One World!

Bill found Colton's idol in his stuff and threw it in the ocean. Producers had to give it back.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Christian made an appearance with Johnny Impact at a wrestling event last night to try and figure out how to beat his opponent with math and I missed it and I'm heartbroken and hate myself.

Nick was there too.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's hilarious! I wonder if there was a moment where Colton finds out and tattles on him and acts all smug and annoying when he gets his replacement one.

I wonder if they could actually set up a Big Brother style constant Survivor stream now that it seems like they're not travelling the world as much anymore. Okay actually I guess stringing up heck of cameras out in the beach/jungle where it rains like hell often would still be impractical and logistically would probably just end up further restricting where players can go. Also this show blurs out butt cheek creases so they're never going to let me watch Brenda poo poo in the jungle.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

curiousCat posted:

Ironically, this happened in One World!

Bill found Colton's idol in his stuff and threw it in the ocean. Producers had to give it back.
Yeah, you can’t steal someone’s idol from their stuff. But if they hide it out in the woods somewhere and you discover it, I do think it’s yours. That may have been the rule Angelina was playing on when she hid her “idol” and then Alison found it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Found it.

"How to Beat a Machine" w/ Professor Christian Hubicki and Impact World Champion Johnny Impact starts after the 6 minute mark.

https://www.fite.tv/watch/impact-wrestling-homecoming-preview/2oe4o/

Sadly the Brochacho Blindside didn't quite work out as intended.

https://twitter.com/GIFSkull/status...23post491359132

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 8, 2019

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

STAC Goat posted:

Found it.

"How to Beat a Machine" w/ Professor Christian Hubicki and Impact World Champion Johnny Impact starts after the 6 minute mark.

https://www.fite.tv/watch/impact-wrestling-homecoming-preview/2oe4o/

This is great

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Brochacho skit was funny, reminds me of work team building videos I've had to participate in.

That second clip is interesting because apparently all of the pro wrestling I've seen before has been good, I was cringing at the second failed attempt -- they had to finish off too and I can't imagine loving up like that when you're the center of attention. I know that shits hard to pull off so it's cool to have a comparison now.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Getting to the merge on Australian Survivor is like winning regular Survivor.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You Caramoan has been a weird as hell roller coaster season and it seems fitting this FTC involves someone having to take out their false teeth.

Cochran actually looks like he winces a little about nobody else getting a vote when he realizes they've said his name too many times in a row for them to bust out another name, like it would have been less awkward for him if at least Dawn had gotten even just one. Also his family greets him like they just heard some bad news and were there to comfort him. I'm not saying everyone needs to be all screaming and jumping, but it almost seemed sad.

Started Blood vs Water. First laugh is them using "mysterious illness" to describe why Colton left the first time. Can i get a spoiler on how long I'll have to put up with him until he quits?

Okay, the central conceit of this season was interesting until I realized it's basically just returnees vs newbies again! Immediate vote-off also sucks but maybe it's a trick like the time stripe-shirt blonde had it happen to her.

Barf! The twist is redemption island, I was hoping it would have been a tribe swap for the voted off people.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 10, 2019

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Blood vs Water is a very good season :)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I am thinking this is a sufficient twist on noobs vs olds, and actually even redemption island as a concept seems like it works better thematically than usual.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Yeah, BvW is the one time Redemption Island feels super satisfying. People in the game have emotional connections to pretty much every duel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Tina: "So this is what survivor 27 looks like? You don't want to deal with drama for 39 days."
*the colton intensifies*

Next episode - jeff to crybaby boy "is that how it goes, if it doesn't go your way you just stop."

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 11, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
BvW is great because the cast collectively laughs at Probst’s attempts to force feed them idol clues.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I got up to episode 3 of DvsG. What is the rest like?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lampsacus posted:

Just keep watching.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Blood vs Water was the first season I saw since watching All-Stars on it's original run. I've since caught up on a lot of the seasons... but I haven't rewatched Blood vs Water since. I remember really hating Tyson as a player at the time.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Lampsacus posted:

It gets better and better!

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
To clarify, this isn't sarcasm. It's a very good season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oh gently caress yes! Thanks ApplesandOranges, Spokes and Adus.