Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Iorveth and Saskia do not appear in the Witcher 3, but Roche and Ves do and there is a resolution to the fate of Temeria. The plot of Witcher 2 is pretty irrelevant to 3. Witcher 3 is so big that a Regicide is something that happens in a sidequest.

Geralt is much bearable to control, especially if you choose the alt-control-scheme which lets him move on a dime.

Alchemy is plenty powerful. You only have to craft a potion once and its use is refreshed by resting.

Combat is fine now. The lock-on works like in Ocarina of Time. It's not Souls-level but what can you do?

You can freely respec your skills with a potion, and mutagens can be swapped around without penalty.

The story in 3 is a lot more straight-forward, albeit there is a ton of doing favors for people to get information. The last act of the story is pretty weak because it's about fighting the Wild Hunt, but the Wild Hunt themselves have barely any screen-time or characterization. The story high-points of 3 are the Bloody Baron, the Isle of Mists, the events at Kaer Morhen, and everything to do with Gaunter O'Dimm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Len posted:

It took me about an hour all said and done but it was not what I signed up for

Fair enough. The thing that did drag down Hollow Knight was Colosseum, Round 3 aka The floor is lava now. Fighting in air against tiny targets that dont really want to come close is not what I signed up for.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

rydiafan posted:

What are some specific things you want to see resolved?

Off the top of my head,aryan lavalette surviving,geralt being killed by pitchfork rob,what the gently caress happened to this yennefer and ciri?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Iorveth and Saskia do not appear in the Witcher 3, but Roche and Ves do and there is a resolution to the fate of Temeria. The plot of Witcher 2 is pretty irrelevant to 3. Witcher 3 is so big that a Regicide is something that happens in a sidequest.

Geralt is much bearable to control, especially if you choose the alt-control-scheme which lets him move on a dime.

Alchemy is plenty powerful. You only have to craft a potion once and its use is refreshed by resting.

Combat is fine now. The lock-on works like in Ocarina of Time. It's not Souls-level but what can you do?

You can freely respec your skills with a potion, and mutagens can be swapped around without penalty.

The story in 3 is a lot more straight-forward, albeit there is a ton of doing favors for people to get information. The last act of the story is pretty weak because it's about fighting the Wild Hunt, but the Wild Hunt themselves have barely any screen-time or characterization. The story high-points of 3 are the Bloody Baron, the Isle of Mists, the events at Kaer Morhen, and everything to do with Gaunter O'Dimm.

Ok this doesn't sound too bad although i would like to find out alot about the wild hunt,they looked really cool in the cutscenes and them being described as otherworldy evil elves really had me intrigued.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Bad Guy is intimidating right until he takes off his face-plate to reveal Marylin Manson.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Herr Bazooka posted:

Fair enough. The thing that did drag down Hollow Knight was Colosseum, Round 3 aka The floor is lava now. Fighting in air against tiny targets that dont really want to come close is not what I signed up for.

Yeah I normally enjoy arena minigames and did the first two but that third one is just a war of attrition against the worst types of enemies

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's a good reason why most installments in a franchise are self-contained and just leave the sequel-tease stuff to after the credits. You can enjoy the movie Bumblebee without watching a second of the Bay movies.

The parts of AC that people enjoy (being an assassin in the past) is pretty self-contained.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

rydiafan posted:

What are some specific things you want to see resolved?

I know you weren't asking me but the only game in the series I've played was Witcher 3 and I finally gave up on it.

Geralt's movement, whether in combat or not, is just so slippery no matter what setting I use. Too much time spent staring at the mini map, sorting junk from valuable items and navigating inventory menus too. I thought the crafting system was somewhat obtuse as well (what to keep? what to break down for parts?)

I really see why people love the game though. It's gorgeous to look at, has a great story full of cool side quests, terrific voice acting, decent enough combat once you get used to it and very compelling set pieces but I just couldn't overcome the things I listed.

I'd like to see his Witcher senses be automatically "on" for minor poo poo like herbs and junk boxes so I can stare at the environment instead of that little circle map. For secrets and treasure make it so you have to activate them. Tomb Raider had a skill that sort of did this.

For all I know so did W3 and maybe I just didn't get that far.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Also final thing do any of the dangling plot threads get resolved in witcher 3? cause if not i probably won't bother.

Imagine finishing the first two Witchers and then deciding not to bother with 3...

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
The inventory system in Witcher 3 is fine. Crafting items don't weigh anything so you can just hoover all that poo poo up, and any junk items you get you can just throw on the ground or sell if you're near a merchant. If you're trying to craft something like a weapon or armor, you can just buy any missing components right then and there. I've played through several times and the inventory was hardly ever an issue worth worrying about.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Necrothatcher posted:

Imagine finishing the first two Witchers and then deciding not to bother with 3...

I just didn't want it to be a mass effect thing where you play through two massive games just for a poo poo third game where none of it mattered anyway.

Also i can run w2 i'm just wondering if w3 might be too new to run well,we'll have to see.
Just started a roche run on w2 dark mode so i'll try things differently.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I like the first two Witchers, but the third one is a far better game objectively.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oh dope posted:

The inventory system in Witcher 3 is fine. Crafting items don't weigh anything so you can just hoover all that poo poo up, and any junk items you get you can just throw on the ground or sell if you're near a merchant. If you're trying to craft something like a weapon or armor, you can just buy any missing components right then and there. I've played through several times and the inventory was hardly ever an issue worth worrying about.

I'm playing it through for the first time at the moment, and the inventory system is not fine, it is in fact bad and trash. Its not bad enough to put me off the game, but its definitely one of the weak points in the games design. Theres a room full of poison gas containing a chest with an upgrade diagram, and my normal "just burn that poo poo from a distance" strategy doesn't work as it seems to spread back again almost immediately. I know I have a potion that negates poison. Problem is that a) The names of the potions dont relate to their effect, and I cant remember which decoction is the one I'm looking for offhand and b) The names arent listed on the inventory screen anyway, instead its tiles of little bottles, so I have to go through them one at a time, and each name/effects takes a second to load when I select them, so I'm sitting going "left (wait) no, left (wait) no" until I find the right one. There were times early on when I was over encumbered and couldnt work out where all the weight was going until I found out that I had accidentally been hoarding bear and wolf skins in the "other" inventory tab. Its a good game, but its not perfect and the inventory system is one of the very imperfect bits.

Early on I also had a bit of "What do I keep, what do I sell, what do I disassemble for parts?" angst, but by the time I had some witcher gear, I settled on "Keep all alchemy stuff/runestones/crafting materials, disassemble any weapon or armour which gives an unusual metal ingot, sell most everything else", which by and large works fairly well. This is obviously not a hard and fast rule, if you have 57 necrophage bloods, obviously you can sell half of it if you need some money, or sell a bunch of outdated runestones or whatever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah you can sell them if you want but what if an hour later you need 57 necrophage bloods then you’re gonna be like oh man if only I hadn’t sold them. Best to just keep them all imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
more like oldbloodless

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

oh dope posted:

I just found it overwhelming and felt I was spending way too much time fussing with it I guess. So much of the make up of that game drug me out of what I really wanted to do which was soak in the environments and go adventuring. It felt like I was constantly accessing menus all the time. Maybe I was playing it wrong I dunno.

E:

SiKboy posted:

Early on I also had a bit of "What do I keep, what do I sell, what do I disassemble for parts?" angst, but by the time I had some witcher gear, I settled on "Keep all alchemy stuff/runestones/crafting materials, disassemble any weapon or armour which gives an unusual metal ingot, sell most everything else", which by and large works fairly well. This is obviously not a hard and fast rule, if you have 57 necrophage bloods, obviously you can sell half of it if you need some money, or sell a bunch of outdated runestones or whatever.

It was pretty much this and you describe the problem well.

Even like when I encounter a monster, I have to pause, look the motherfucker up to recall his weakness, go apply that oil or buff, switch that weapon, etc. Even the powers I had I couldn't always remember what the names meant relating to what they did except for the fire one.

Like I said, it's a pretty great game and I totally understand the love for it. I just wish it allowed more time to really soak in the actual environment and PLAY it instead of hitting "menu" so often. I didn't even mind the dialogue trees. In fact, I enjoyed those as well as the cut scenes and most of the stuff that usually drags down open world games but the constant pausing and the lining up of my Witcher to pick up a metal cup off a shelf or grab a flower grated on me.

Maybe I just suck at Witchering.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 19:46 on Jan 6, 2019

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

play like book geralt and trash all your poo poo and spend all your money on booze

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Were you playing on Insane Hardcore Bullshit difficulty or something, I finished the game including both expansions and pretty much never looked up monster weaknesses or applied oils to my weapon

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was messing around with the Polish adventure game Observer today and it is pretty neat and has an interesting style but my god, does the first "interrogation" scene take way too long. Like it really should have just focused on the parts that were relevant to storytelling and cut out the generic wandering around padding bits.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I actually do like Meat Boy platformers and didn’t like the White Palace. It’s not what I wanted out of Hollow Knight and it was both stylistically and mechanically out of place with the rest of the game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Were you playing on Insane Hardcore Bullshit difficulty or something, I finished the game including both expansions and pretty much never looked up monster weaknesses or applied oils to my weapon

No. Normal difficulty I think. Several times I ran into monsters that were taking my attacks like I was tickling them though - wraiths and ghosts if I recall - and they were usually quest oriented. For teh most part, random monsters weren't a huge hassle, especially once I figured out the motherfucking dodge button and stopped button mashing.

It's a really good game and I can't really poo poo on it. Like I said, I get all the acclaim and its enormous popularity. There were just a lot of little things dragging it down for me and I saw the title of this thread.

so...

I posted.

End of story.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

so...

I posted.
typical rookie mistake for this thread

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I love EDF but I really, really need a little routine slipped into the ally AI to check if the player is currently firing so they can stop wandering into my guns. It wasn't that bad playing as ranger because I was mobile enough to avoid them but Fencer can't plant and fire anything without the little dorks walking face first into your fire, protecting the enemies with their bodies.

My Pokemon choice here is Rowlet.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I love EDF but I really, really need a little routine slipped into the ally AI to check if the player is currently firing so they can stop wandering into my guns. It wasn't that bad playing as ranger because I was mobile enough to avoid them but Fencer can't plant and fire anything without the little dorks walking face first into your fire, protecting the enemies with their bodies.

My Pokemon choice here is Rowlet.

Pretty sure that's a feature.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BiggerBoat posted:

No. Normal difficulty I think. Several times I ran into monsters that were taking my attacks like I was tickling them though - wraiths and ghosts if I recall - and they were usually quest oriented. For teh most part, random monsters weren't a huge hassle, especially once I figured out the motherfucking dodge button and stopped button mashing.

It's a really good game and I can't really poo poo on it. Like I said, I get all the acclaim and its enormous popularity. There were just a lot of little things dragging it down for me and I saw the title of this thread.

so...

I posted.

End of story.

Its really easy to accidently stumble into quests that are waaaaay above your level by accident. Enemies way above your level have a skull above their head (and too high level quests are indicated the same way), but totally possible to miss that in the heat of the moment, particularly early in the game when you havent seen high level enemies yet. Very quickly after leaving the tutorial area and arriving in Velen I got a quest to track down someone who had fled to the mines with some women (I think it was a noticeboard outside the first tavern the game directs you to maybe), hit R3 to track the quest, tracked it to the monsters lair.... Then noticed the red skull. For the quest it sits above the quest name/objectives on the right hand side. If its level number is in red but no skull then its still too high level, but if you are carefully and patient you can reasonably chip it to death eventually. Or gently caress it and run away and come back later to kill it in seconds.

Basically, double check that you are doing contracts/side quests which are level appropriate, and if you encounter an enemy out in the wild that has a red skull above its health bar, just run away from it. There are a fair few "guarded treasure" locations with super high level guardians within spitting distance of somewhere that low level quests take you to. You'll fairly quickly outlevel the main quest, and have a bunch of side stuff you havent got to yet that is rated lower than your current level (there is a lot of stuff in this game). If you are a decent level, and particularly if you track down and periodically update witcher gear, then the combat gets much easier very quickly. The start of the game is no doubt the hardest part of it.

It is an odd choice to have a bunch of high level quests available at the first few locations the story takes you to, while some places that are at the arse end of nowhere have low level side quests available. You'd have to be actively avoiding levelling up to get to their starting points without outlevelling the quests.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ive said it before but witcher 3 greatly benefits from cheats that remove fall damage, and all 3 games are way better with cheats to remove or greatly increase the inventory cap

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I've been enjoying it more than the last one, even in terms of the story, but holy poo poo Shadow of the Tomb Raider really needed someone to go over the timelines in the script before calling it ready to ship.

Spoilers: So the big bad guy is chasing artifacts with you in Brazil, and he's apparently been the big bad for a while, even the last two games, even though he hasn't been named until now.

EXCEPT he's secretly a member of a lost tribe and was manipulated from childhood to be a member of the Trinity organization, so he's not actually the big bad. Meaning there was also no reason for him to be in Brazil.

EXCEPT now there's apparently an ancient cult that's both been there for hundreds of years, but is also actually a fake run by Trinity.

ALSO the cavern that hasn't been seen "in centuries" matches a tattoo some other character has perfectly, with no explanation other than "OOOH MYSTERIOUS AND SPOOKY".

AND I'm supposed to believe that a special coronation rite thing for a sidequest is in a tomb that hasn't been touched, also in centuries!? So you just... never coronated anyone, including the kid's dad???

Unless there's some dumb immortality poo poo like RotTR had, basically none of this makes a drat lick of sense. It's decently written on a moment-to-moment basis but the historical timelines are eight kinds of screwed. :psyduck:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

typical rookie mistake for this thread

True.

I was trying to make a Fargo/ snow shoveler guy joke and whiffed on that one too.

Meh. They can't all be jams.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BiggerBoat posted:

No. Normal difficulty I think. Several times I ran into monsters that were taking my attacks like I was tickling them though - wraiths and ghosts if I recall - and they were usually quest oriented. .

This one is your fault I'm afraid. You need to use yrden (the purple one, makes runes appear on the ground) to make spirits more corporeal so you can do damage to them. It's listed in their weaknesses, possibly in their descriptions as well, and in a loading screen tooltip as well.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pillars of Eternity 2 is a huge upgrade to the first game. One of the big changes is the ability to multiclass, which also opens up party NPCs, allowing you to select one of three classes (including multiclasses) when recruiting them rather than locking them into a single class. That's an awesome improvement and really opens up player character options in the early game.

Eder is a holdover character from the first game, where he was a fighter. His big endearing personality trait, which continues into the sequel, is that he loving loves animals, especially giving them belly rubs.

Eder's multiclass options are fighter, rogue, or fighter/rogue. Why the hell did they not let him multiclass into ranger, which has a class feature of You Have a Pet?

PoE2 also makes my big complaint about Divinity:OS2 even bigger. The maps in PoE2 are smaller and it has a button to speed up time, which means shorter travel times. D:OS2's maps were gigantic and, while there are the teleporter pyramids and fast travel, there is no speed up button to make travelling through already cleared areas less time consuming. I had Caves of Qud playing in the background so I could play something with D:OS2 minimized during travel times

OutOfPrint has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Jan 7, 2019

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Dewgy posted:

I've been enjoying it more than the last one, even in terms of the story, but holy poo poo Shadow of the Tomb Raider really needed someone to go over the timelines in the script before calling it ready to ship.

Spoilers: So the big bad guy is chasing artifacts with you in Brazil, and he's apparently been the big bad for a while, even the last two games, even though he hasn't been named until now.

EXCEPT he's secretly a member of a lost tribe and was manipulated from childhood to be a member of the Trinity organization, so he's not actually the big bad. Meaning there was also no reason for him to be in Brazil.

EXCEPT now there's apparently an ancient cult that's both been there for hundreds of years, but is also actually a fake run by Trinity.

ALSO the cavern that hasn't been seen "in centuries" matches a tattoo some other character has perfectly, with no explanation other than "OOOH MYSTERIOUS AND SPOOKY".

AND I'm supposed to believe that a special coronation rite thing for a sidequest is in a tomb that hasn't been touched, also in centuries!? So you just... never coronated anyone, including the kid's dad???

Unless there's some dumb immortality poo poo like RotTR had, basically none of this makes a drat lick of sense. It's decently written on a moment-to-moment basis but the historical timelines are eight kinds of screwed. :psyduck:
I'm almost done with the game now and yeah something's gone very wrong with its basic structure, especially compared to the first two. The story is almost incoherent, the pacing is some of the worst I've ever seen in a game that's not deliberately open world "gently caress off forever doing sidequests", the upgrade, crafting and stealth systems are completely useless considering there's, like, 10 fights in the entire game (haven't started the end sequence yet, I suspect there's a bunch more there but come on)...

Like, I got the "stealth takedown 25 enemies" Achievement in the last big fight before the end. I'd have killed 25 enemies from Stealth in the tutorial mission in Dishonored! I don't even like the combat in the Tomb Raider games that much and think they're worse for focusing so much on it, but don't give me a huge skill tree with all those combat upgrades and then gently caress-all to use them on.

Why would I hunt anything if I can find all the pelts I need for the special armor from monolith treasures? Armor that gives bonuses like "double pelts from enemies"? There is zero reason to ever kill an animal and they only kept the system because it was a selling point for the first game, which focused on survival. It's pointless now and should have been cut from the planning phase. What a mess of a game, which is really sad because it looks amazing, plays exactly as fine as the previous two with all the refinements that can be expected, but it's just...worthless to play overall.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I fired up Hearts of Iron III for the first time last night and the tutorial is given to you by a poorly written "oh-so-wacky" Hitler.

I mean like, there's little asides written in the second person where 'you' think he's insane or being ridiculous or whatever, but it is a whole series of short tutorials given to you by Hitler doused in really bad humor that does not come anywhere close to landing. They even lampshade it like "you wonder if he was chosen for your mentor for comedic effect" which just makes it worse.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OutOfPrint posted:

Pillars of Eternity 2 is a huge upgrade to the first game. One of the big changes is the ability to multiclass, which also opens up party NPCs, allowing you to select one of three classes (including multiclasses) when recruiting them rather than locking them into a single class. That's an awesome improvement and really opens up player character options in the early game.

Eder is a holdover character from the first game, where he was a fighter. His big endearing personality trait, which continues into the sequel, is that he loving loves animals, especially giving them belly rubs.

Eder's multiclass options are fighter, rogue, or fighter/rogue. Why the hell did they not let him multiclass into ranger, which has a class feature of You Have a Pet?

Eh...being a ranger and learning the skillset takes years whereas Eder is a fighter (or fighter/rogue) because he picked up a sword in a peasant war. It fits him better. I like animals too doesnt make me a vet.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RagnarokAngel posted:

Eh...being a ranger and learning the skillset takes years whereas Eder is a fighter (or fighter/rogue) because he picked up a sword in a peasant war. It fits him better. I like animals too doesnt make me a vet.

One of the New Game + bonuses you can turn on in PoE2 now is "Eder has a pet slot now." This isn't the same as having a ranger pet, but it does mean you can have twice the adorable animals (or imps or lich skulls) following you around giving you party-wide passive bonuses.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is more like a big thing with a lot of little things contained therein but god drat it i need to complain about it somewhere

so the Steam game Zero Ranger is a very good and satisfying shmup with a wide variety of bosses and bangin' music. it's also fairly punishing (at least in my experience, i don't play the genre much) - there's no bombs, no slider for extra lives, and you don't unlock any options for deflecting/absorbing bullets until later in the story. but it also has a "banking" mechanic where your max score at time of death slowly fills a meter that grants you an extra continue for the entire run. so, you start the game with 3 lives, lose those three lives, score 50k points, and those points fill up the meter x% for a continue. it tops off at 8 continues total, with each one requiring more and more points to unlock

so far so good. there's also a stage select option so at least you don't have to slog through everything from step one every time

then we get to the final bosses

the final stage of the game is devoted entirely to the bosses, which are a punishing back-to-back duo that both use new mechanics - one constantly summons various orbs that have to be destroyed near-simultaneously to move on to the next phase, and the other has all sorts of sneaky bullshit, including a health meter that starts off temporarily invulnerable (so you're not even sure if you're hitting it) and a final desperation health meter that constantly drains of its own accord while the boss blitzes you with its strongest attacks. but whatever, it's the end of the game, it's part of the experience. you scrape by, and then you find out there's actually a true final boss that the game gives you a great deal of incentive, narrative-wise, to fight, not in the least because you haven't properly beaten it otherwise

except there's a little caveat, which is spoilery:

losing to this boss deletes your save file

not only that, but your remaining continues at the end of the penultimate boss fight are converted to lives for the last boss, so if you spent a while grinding out score (or just doing exceptionally well over several runs) and maxed out the whole 8 continues, and 1cc'd everything up to this point, you'll be doing okay...but, if you're a schmuck like me who got through the last fight by the skin of his teeth, you'll be able to take exactly one hit from a shmup endboss before all of your progress goes bye-bye. the game gives you some warning you've only got one shot at this fight, but the continue-conversion mechanic is only hinted at by some vague flashing circles behind the text boxes

the whole thing has me terribly vexed

Oxxidation has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Jan 10, 2019

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

I fired up Hearts of Iron III for the first time last night and the tutorial is given to you by a poorly written "oh-so-wacky" Hitler.

I mean like, there's little asides written in the second person where 'you' think he's insane or being ridiculous or whatever, but it is a whole series of short tutorials given to you by Hitler doused in really bad humor that does not come anywhere close to landing. They even lampshade it like "you wonder if he was chosen for your mentor for comedic effect" which just makes it worse.

I think that HoI as a series has a serious "B product" stink on it. It just is so obtuse and the GUI is less than intuitive for the scale it tries to convey.

The first was great, although the best iterations of that game were made by someone else as third party DLCs (AoD and Darkest Hour). The second was a mess with broken AI and the third one has UI that does not help you at all with all different small logos and mechanics that seem to work, but actually dont do anything because you forgot to do something completely different somewhere else. For example, halfway invading France I discovered that my airforce did jack poo poo and the AI really does not seem to handle encirclement and stuff very well. Why add levels of details, when graphics-updated version of HoI 1+expansion with some quality of life improvements would sell just as well?

Also, these problems seem to plague only the HoI family. Crusader Kings 2 with its perpetual DLC machine is doing fine, and EU4 is not nearly as complicated thing if you want to get things done. Even Vicky2 is more approachable, even if it has become more or less abandoned IPR.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, and I don't have huge feelings about it other than it has more of the same fun running around adventuring, and I haven't had a huge problem with the pacing when I'm not actively deciding just to go around collecting junk. The photo mode is the best stupidly fun thing in the series.
(edit, I mean c'mon: )

But the one little thing that's really dragging it down is that they give you full body mod "outfits" including the lovely low-poly Lara from Tomb Raider 2, but then apparently disable it a bit into the story when you start getting into cutscene-heavier interactions with all the normal characters :mad:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 04:14 on Jan 8, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Unfortunate double-post, but I finally got to the point where I can forgive the game's little problem. It's such a perfectly bonkers choice in an otherwise SUPER DARK AND SERIOUS game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Captain Hygiene posted:

Unfortunate double-post, but I finally got to the point where I can forgive the game's little problem. It's such a perfectly bonkers choice in an otherwise SUPER DARK AND SERIOUS game.

Even with my complaints I’ve been enjoying it because it does occasionally remember how to be really stupid fun. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dewgy posted:

Even with my complaints I’ve been enjoying it because it does occasionally remember how to be really stupid fun. :allears:

Lara rising from a burning river to be a goddess of vengeance is 1000% more entertaining when it's the crap TR2 model, and I wish more games realized this mindset.