Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
After what happened with the swamp gas, we'll need ALL the possible protection: Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Comstar posted:

Elementalism

The Fall of Blood Mountain posted:

You draw upon your elemental powers and focus them at a large oil-filled lantern which hangs directly above the platform. You summon a gust of wind to buffet this lantern in the hope that it will cause some of its blazing fuel to splash onto the kegs below.

We roll: 4.

You are able to cause the lantern to rock from side to side until it begins to drip burning oil onto the powder kegs. The creature is unaware of the danger until it is too late. One burning drop of oil falls through an open bung-hole, and in an instant, the platform is consumed by a thunderous ball of flame.

The destruction of the platform creates a pall of dense grey smoke, and its smouldering fragments set off a chain-reaction of smaller explosions all around the hall. Suddenly the Shom’zaa minions are gripped by a blind panic. They rush in every direction, clawing and biting at each other in their frenzy to escape the explosions and flames. You seize the opportunity to make a dash for the archway, and skilfully you weave your way through the chaos, felling all who dare stand in your way. When you reach the portcullis, you lower your head and hurry down the stone ramp to the level below.

The stone ramp leads to a titanic, lantern-lit cavern, where acres of wheat and barley are ripening in fields of fertile soil. You are amazed that such rich arable land can exist so deep below the surface of Magnamund, where rain has never fallen and the sun has never shone. Truly the Goddess Ishir gave the Drodarin a wondrous gift when she bestowed upon them the Throne of Andarin, for its powers alone permit this miracle to exist.

You leave the ramp and follow a rutted cart track. It borders upon a field of tall wheat, swaying gently in a cooling breeze. As you walk along, you magnify your vision and attempt to judge the distance to the far wall of the cavern. You have just concluded that it lies more than two miles ahead when suddenly you see something in the middle distance that makes you freeze in your tracks. A group of six large, two-footed creatures have emerged from the wheat field. At first glance they remind you of the guanza, the racing lizards bred in the Southlands, but when you take a closer look you see that these grey-skinned mounts are not born of natural stock. Astride their scaly backs sit Shom’zaa minions armed with spears and lances. The leading rider sights you on the track and immediately the group comes speeding towards you with a loose, loping gait.

We roll: 1.

Hurriedly you leave the track and leap through the tall crops, pitching and stumbling among the tough stalks as you struggle to get away from the approaching riders. In your haste to escape, you forget to use your innate Pathsmanship skills to cover your tracks, and within a minute of first sighting you the riders are able to pick up your trail.

The sound of them crashing through the wheat alerts you to the need for you to hide your tracks. You change direction repeatedly, and use your Kai skills to weave through the crops without leaving any sign of your passing. This tactic throws most of them off your scent, but one rider follows his instincts and he homes in on you with uncanny precision.
Bravehart: COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 28
Shom’zaa Agarashi Lancer: COMBAT SKILL 44 ENDURANCE 30
Combat Ratio: 10

We roll: 5
Bravehart: COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 27
Shom’zaa Agarashi Lancer: COMBAT SKILL 44 ENDURANCE 16

We roll: 4
Bravehart: COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 25
Shom’zaa Agarashi Lancer: COMBAT SKILL 44 ENDURANCE 4

We roll: 7
Bravehart: COMBAT SKILL 54 ENDURANCE 25
Shom’zaa Agarashi Lancer: COMBAT SKILL 44 ENDURANCE 0

Your killing blow pitches the Shom’zaa lancer out of its saddle and sends its lifeless body tumbling into the wheat, trailing a stream of black ichor. As its steed flees through the tall crops, you notice a bulb-like object fall from its saddlebag. You take a closer look and discover that it is an unexploded Phosphor Bomb. (If you wish to keep this item, record it on your Action Chart as a Backpack Item.) Then you hear the sound of the other riders approaching, and quickly you dive into the tall crops and hurry away towards the north to avoid them.

After a few minutes, when you can no longer hear the lancers crashing through the wheat, you begin to feel confident that they have lost your trail for good. You have just crossed into an adjoining crop of barley when suddenly a barrier of piercing light erupts in front of you as first one explosion and then two more detonate among the plants. In a desperate attempt to flush you out, the riders are hurling phosphor bombs into the fields. Within seconds the tinder-dry crops are ablaze, fanned by a stiff breeze. You retreat to the wheat field to avoid the roaring flames but, as you retrace your steps, your Sixth Sense tells you that you are being forced back into a trap.

Automatically used one Potion of Laumspur: +4 EP (29/43).
Automatically took Phosphor Bomb.
Shall we continue retreating or attempt to pass through the wall of fire to the barley fields beyond?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Go through fire!... and hope it doesn't cause our phosphor bomb to detonate.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
We have a platinum amulet and Nexus which should really be sufficient for dealing with a grass fire. Go through.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

nelson posted:

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Continue retreat. Just cause it’s a trap doesn’t mean we can’t fight our way out.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://youtu.be/0jgrCKhxE1s

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

This is exactly what I guessed it would be, thank you.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We have a platinum amulet and Nexus which should really be sufficient for dealing with a grass fire. Go through.

Yes!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The blazing wall of flame is being fuelled by powerful Drodarin incendiaries, and the temperatures they are generating are far higher than your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus can withstand.

You draw upon your Grand Mastery of Nexus to protect your body as you get ready to attempt to forge a way through this white-hot wall of fire. With fear running cold in your veins, you close your eyes, lower your head, and then sprint towards the roaring fire like a charging bull. You hit the flaming wall and you are consumed by its terrible, searing heat. But you do not falter or lose your footing, and within a few seconds, you emerge from it and crash headlong into a sea of soft, cool barley.

Physically, you have survived your ordeal unscathed, but when you prise open your eyes and take stock of your equipment, you quickly discover that your tunic and Backpack are on fire.

You utilize your improved Discipline of Elementalism to condense water out of the surrounding air with which to douse the flames that are feeding hungrily on your clothes and equipment. Your speedy action extinguishes the fire and saves your tunic and Backpack from ruin.

Having successfully reached the far side of the wall of fire, you hurry away towards the north in case the Shom’zaa lancers should attempt to outflank you. Soon you come to a muddy ditch which marks the boundary between two neighbouring fields of barley. In the field ahead the plants are younger and shorter, and you are able to see the roof of a Drodarin farmhouse less than 50 yards distant.
Shall we check out the farmhouse or avoid it?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Check farmhouse for plot coupons & loot!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

achtungnight posted:

This.

Also does

quote:

Your speedy action extinguishes the fire and saves your tunic and Backpack from ruin

imply there's a branch of this book where we're belting round with out clothes and backpack burned off?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're going to the farmhouse and finding a farmer and getting them killed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tiggum posted:

Shall we check out the farmhouse or avoid it?

We shall not pass up the chance to loot!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Runcible Cat posted:

This.

Also does

imply there's a branch of this book where we're belting round with out clothes and backpack burned off?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

achtungnight posted:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Runcible Cat posted:

Charred but not destroyed:

quote:

Swiftly you draw upon your Magnakai Discipline of Nexus to fight the flames by the force of your will alone. Your speedy action extinguishes the fire, but your tunic and Backpack are badly charred. When you make a closer examination, you discover that some of your possessions have been ruined.

Erase the last two items that you have recorded on your list of Backpack Items. You must also erase one Weapon and any Arrows that you possess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

As you approach the stone-built farmhouse, your Kai tracking skills detect that the Shom’zaa lancers have already paid this dwelling a visit. Its oak door is hanging off its hinges, its windows are broken, and splintered furniture lies scattered throughout the rooms of the ground floor. Few items of any value remain intact.

Among the wreckage of the kitchen you discover enough food for 2 Meals, a Jug of Vinegar, and a Candle. You also discover a concealed drawer beneath its refectory table. This compartment contains 2 Potions of Laumspur (they each restore 4 ENDURANCE points when swallowed following combat).

You are preparing to leave when suddenly your keen ears detect a faint bubbling sound. It is coming from beneath a trapdoor set into the middle of the kitchen floor.
  1. What do we take, what do we drop?
  2. Do we investigate the trapdoor or leave?

Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  3. Shovel
  4. Pick
  5. Meal
  6. Flute
  7. Phosphor Bomb
  8. Meal
  9. Meal

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Drink both laumspurs and take the candle. If we can't drink the laumspurs (can't recall what the rule is about that) drop a meal and take both laumspur potions.

Wear the candle on our helmet and wield the pickaxe like a true miner as we investigate the trapdoor!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Decoy Badger posted:

Drink both laumspurs and take the candle.

Wear the candle on our helmet and wield the pickaxe like a true miner as we investigate the trapdoor!

This sounds good.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The bubbling sound is clearly a boiling vat of acid poised to launch itself at anyone that opens the trapdoor. This trap was cleverly set up by the owners of this innocuous farmhouse to horribly burn any intruders, because that makes sense.

Ditch a meal, take both Laumspurs, open trapdoor.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Drink laumspurs, drop meal, take candle and vinegar, open the door of traps.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Drink both Laumspurs, ditch a meal, take Vinegar, open trapdoor.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Decoy Badger posted:

The bubbling sound is clearly a boiling vat of acid poised to launch itself at anyone that opens the trapdoor. This trap was cleverly set up by the owners of this innocuous farmhouse to horribly burn any intruders, because that makes sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nelson posted:

Endurance: 37/43.

You pull open the trapdoor and descend a ladder to a cool cellar. The floor is stacked high with corked bottles, and the walls are lined with shelves that sag beneath the weight of a hundred glass flagons, each one filled with a dark bubbling liquid. The pungent smell of fermenting ale assails your nostrils, and your suspicions are confirmed when you risk a sip of the heady home brew.

The flagons contain Bor Brew, a notoriously potent ale. If you wish to take some of this beer, you can fill an empty bottle and store it in your pack (a Bottle of Bor Brew = 1 Backpack Item).

You leave the farm and trek across five fields of barley before you come to the far side of this titanic cavern. Several cart tracks converge at the approach to a wide stone ramp that ascends to the mouth of an unguarded tunnel in the cavern wall. You climb the ramp and, as you enter this torchlit tunnel, you discover a number of broken weapons lying discarded on the ground. Among them you find 1 Arrow and a Sword that are still serviceable. (If you decide to keep them, adjust your Action Chart accordingly.)

You follow the tunnel for several hundred yards until you come to a junction where a smaller passageway leads off to the right. A stone plaque that once indicated the name of this passage lies smashed in pieces. You are trying to put the pieces back together when suddenly you hear the sound of Brozal riders approaching along the main tunnel. Quickly you move into the shadowy passageway and use your camouflage skills to hide there as you wait for the riders to pass.

While you are waiting, unless you possess the Discipline of Grand Huntmastery, you must now eat a Meal or lose 3 ENDURANCE points.

Automatically took Arrow.

You hear the Brozal slowing as they draw near to the junction, and your skin prickles with a premonition of danger. Your Kai senses detect the approach of a malevolent entity, a creature in their company that is exuding a powerful aura of evil. Fearing that you may be discovered if you stay here, you silently slip away along the passage.

Soon you arrive at a great bronze door. It is inlaid with ancient Drodarin runes and embellished with gold leaf. Gently you push against its cold surface, and the portal swings open to reveal a gloomy chamber. You sense no threat here and so you enter and then push the door closed behind you.

The walls of this chamber are lined with alcoves which are filled with ornate burial urns. Some have been smashed, and their powdery contents lie scattered upon the marble floor. You quickly determine that you have entered a Drodarin cinerarium—a place where the cremated remains of dwarven warriors are laid to rest. Such chambers are considered sacred by the Drodarin, and it saddens you to see that this one has been wantonly desecrated by Shom’zaa minions.

A large tomb dominates the centre of the chamber. Its lid is cracked and holed where the minions have attempted to force an entry. Drodarin script embellishes its dusty surfaces, and when you make a closer inspection, your pulse quickens. This is the tomb of Andarin—the first King of Bor. Through a small hole that punctures the tomb’s lid, you can see part of the king’s burial urn. It is lit by the supernatural glow of a golden warhammer that rests beside it. Your Kai senses detect that this is a powerful, magical weapon.

1. Do we take any Bor Brew? If so, what do we drop to make room?
  2. Shall we open Andarin's tomb or leave it undisturbed?

Weapons:
  1. Bow
  2. Halberd (Spear)
    Backpack:
  1. Rope
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  3. Shovel
  4. Pick
  5. Meal
  6. Flute
  7. Phosphor Bomb
  8. Meal
  9. Meal
  10. Candle

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

OMG Magic Hammer

Loot the gently caress out of that tomb.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Ditch a meal for the Brew.

I see we found the Tomb of Durin. Anyone hear any drums?

I bet if we try to loot the tomb, then a) some horrific event will unfold, and b) we'll have to turn the warhammer over to the first dwarf we find. So leave it be (he says, knowing full well everyone else is going to vote to loot).

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Drop a meal, grab a beer.

Weren’t we just saddened that this place was desecrated a few seconds ago? Leave the tomb alone.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drop the ROPE, FLUTE, CANDLE, take 3 BREW, and LOOT THE HAMMER

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Pour a brew on the Dwarf King’s Skull and leave his Hammer be. I’m betting it’s trapped.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Drop meal, insert beer

Hammertime

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I bet if we try to loot the tomb, then a) some horrific event will unfold, and b) we'll have to turn the warhammer over to the first dwarf we find. So leave it be (he says, knowing full well everyone else is going to vote to loot).

And you're right. :redhammer:

Just drink the booze, don't bother to carry any.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Synthbuttrange posted:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Loot... Loot in the deep.

We're too late, the King already passed. Leave it alone.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Pour one out for the king, then loot him.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009

RudeCat posted:

Drop meal, insert beer

Hammertime

Desecrating the dead for loot is the most sacred duty of a Kai.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Always Be Lootin'. Take the hammer.

Also:

quote:

You also learn that your destination is Boradon, the principal city of Bor, and you are intrigued to discover that in your native language this ancient Drodarin name has a somewhat evocative meaning: ‘the Mountain of Blood’.

So that implies that "Bor" probably means "mountain".
Which means that...

quote:

You follow Lord Rimoah out onto the windswept deck and look down in awe at the mighty city of Boradon. Rooted directly in the granite escarpment of Andar, the highest mountain of the Great Bor Range

... the "Great Bor Range" is most likely literally "The Great Mountain Range", this world's equivalent of the Koala Bear.
The alternative is that "Bor" means "blood", in which case we can wonderfully imagine our Dwarves living in the Kingdom of Blood, drinking Blood Brew, and wielding Blood Muskets.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Exactly my thoughts.