Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
As far as I know Freesynch is AMD's implementation of Adaptive Synch, working with HDMI. I hope Adaptive Synch is possible with HDMI too and not just DP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm happy that two most graphically demanding games I play are Witcher 3 and Total War series, which means all I need for high quality 1440p is stuff in 450€ range.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

As far as I know Freesynch is AMD's implementation of Adaptive Synch, working with HDMI. I hope Adaptive Synch is possible with HDMI too and not just DP.

The politics behind Freesync-over-Displayport and Freesync-over-HDMI are quite different, so Nvidia supporting one doesn't necessarily mean they'll support the other.

Freesync/DP is just AMDs branding for a native feature of the Displayport standard, not actually tied to AMD beyond the name, but Freesync/HDMI is a non-standardized extension that AMD developed themselves.

Nvidia will probably support HDMI 2.1 VRR eventually but there's no sign of them adopting AMDs stop-gap extension in the meantime, or even if AMD is open to licensing their extension.

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 8, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Palladium posted:

Yep pay $350 so I can get the same performance as my launch $450 1070 its really damned exciting

Maybe you deserved that 50% stock implosion Nvidia

Don't get it twisted, it's a rare coincidence that stockholders are mad while the company is doing some blandly anticonsumer stuff*

*Where price/perf is exactly the same as the generation before**
** Guillotines for all anyway :gritin:

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
imma get the acer xv273k and run it at the full 4k/144hz res with dual dp cables to play factorio and kerbal space program

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Play console ports that spaz out at >30 fps or old PC games that introduce bugs and input lag over 60 fps on Titan RTX/4k/144 Hz.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

alex314 posted:

I'm happy that two most graphically demanding games I play are Witcher 3 and Total War series, which means all I need for high quality 1440p is stuff in 450€ range.

high quality 1440p is 1070Ti / 1080 territory for almost all modern games unless you're targeting 90+ FPS, so it's most definitely in the 450€ range! I guess a 2060 6GB would also be great for that at the relatively low price of 350€ (if the price in Europe will be that, and if there will be stock of course :) )

with my 2600x + EVGA 1080 FTW (440€ on end-of-life firesale when they announced the RTX family), I can run AC: Odyssey which is pretty badly optimized as far as I know, @1440p Ultra I get about 55 FPS, and besides some tearing or a little hiccup here and there, the game is very playable.

I haven't tried the Witcher 3 but I'm confident I could crush it at any resolution / refresh rate since it used to run decently on my old FX6300 + 7870 :D

honestly I think things have changed way less than it would appear, at least if you're still on 1080p or 1440p60Hz monitors; a 250-350€ card (be it a used 1080, a new 1070Ti on sale, or a 2060 when prices stabilize) will still be great with all modern games at those resolutions and refresh rate, and will keep being relevant for a few years still if you're willing to go down to "high" instead of maxing everything. You have to shell the big cash for 4K or for high refresh rates, and at that point I guess you'll have a top of the line CPU, a 750$ monitor, etc etc so it stands to reason you'd spend 700$ on a GPU too

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You guys joke but my most played game of 2018 was Golden Souls 2

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Palladium posted:

Yep pay $350 so I can get the same performance as my launch $450 1070 its really damned exciting

Maybe you deserved that 50% stock implosion Nvidia

The 2060 is the first respectable price/performance boost in the Turing lineup. It’s more a less a 1070 Ti (and slightly ahead on games that benefit from the Turing architecture). Thats a decent ~20% performance boost at the price point + the questionably useful ability to hit 60 FPS in BF5 with RTX on “low”.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Stickman posted:

The 2060 is the first respectable price/performance boost in the Turing lineup. It’s more a less a 1070 Ti (and slightly ahead on games that benefit from the Turing architecture). Thats a decent ~20% performance boost at the price point + the questionably useful ability to hit 60 FPS in BF5 with RTX on “low”.

You could get a new 1070ti for 320 bucks pretty recently.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

On sale (though I think it was more like $360 for the bargain basement models), but that's pretty much true of every generational bump. Pascal was pretty uniquely large in it's launch price/performance boost - 20% has been far more typical over NVidia's history.

E: I'm not saying it's super exciting, just that it's pretty much standard (at least compared to 0%, which has happened before, but not often).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So is the "$350" for the Top 8GB GDDR5X model, or one of the many lesser models? Or do we not know yet?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

EdEddnEddy posted:

So is the "$350" for the Top 8GB GDDR5X model, or one of the many lesser models? Or do we not know yet?

there isn't a 8gb model right? only 6-5-3 so clearly its 350 for the 3gb gddr5-nonX.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

no, that was never going to be a thing

there was a gsync upgrade kit for one specific asus monitor that required replacing the entire mainboad, and that's it

nvidia probably prototyped gsync by modding that monitor and turned those prototype parts into the upgrade kit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMKpJr0KTC8

I have the monitor, never bought the upgrade board. They were too expensive, then they stopped making them, and beyond that you'd lose the extra inputs, scaler, and all OSD features.

I now have the AW3418 and would consider doing the upgrade on my old monitor if I came across the board for cheap, but I haven't ever seen the kit for less than $200

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
$350 is the 6 GB FE price I think? It's certainly going to be higher for certain custom designs. And good custom 1070s were certainly as cheap or cheaper, and could almost reach the Ti.

I guess it's exciting compared to the more expensive cards, but in the end it's still 1070 Ti performance (also the same performance/watt) with 2 GB VRAM missing, for a price point that's similar to where the old card was recently. The VRAM thing doesn't seem like much, but according to the ComputerBase review there already are games where it leads to noticeable frametime issues and that's current games in 1080p and 1440p. It's not going to get better in two years.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

It’s slightly better than a 1070 Ti at the price point and you won’t be able to buy a 1070 Ti soon so it’s a fine purchase. It’s not an exciting price/performance revolution, but I think upgrades like that are going to get exceedingly more rare.

Speaking of the 2060, Linus spent a ton of video time complaining about the GTX 1160 and other memory configs, neither of which have launched. Was a very weird/bad vid. GNs, as per usual, was very good.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

K8.0 posted:

That's only bad if after buying a high-end monitor you decide you want to start buying crappy GPUs.

I bought one of those $350 Dells. It's not a high-end monitor in the eyes of the $900 GPU market.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cygni posted:

It’s slightly better than a 1070 Ti at the price point and you won’t be able to buy a 1070 Ti soon so it’s a fine purchase. It’s not an exciting price/performance revolution, but I think upgrades like that are going to get exceedingly more rare.

Speaking of the 2060, Linus spent a ton of video time complaining about the GTX 1160 and other memory configs, neither of which have launched. Was a very weird/bad vid. GNs, as per usual, was very good.

This is all very reminicscent of Intel's approach before AMD launched Ryzen. We can and should expect better.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

wargames posted:

there isn't a 8gb model right? only 6-5-3 so clearly its 350 for the 3gb gddr5-nonX.

yet

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

2060ti

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Zotac 2070 can be had for $450 with BFV, which is not a bad deal at all. The 20xx series is slowly coming into decent price/perf territory.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Hell yeah freesync on nvidia. Acer XV273K here I come

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
since that monitor is "HDR400" that means it's pretty much just your slightly-above-average IPS screen right?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Truga posted:

since that monitor is "HDR400" that means it's pretty much just your slightly-above-average IPS screen right?

Pretty much. It's got wide color gamut and support for 10-bit input, but not the eye-searingly bright backlight capability that actual HDR needs.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Nvidia back to getting flack for their poor GPU review supplies for critical YouTubers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otvIXprL2LU

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I'm sympathetic but Nvidia PR can send cards to whoever they want, whenever they want, and however they want. Their job is to get the coverage that benefits their bottom line the most, not to be an equal-opportunity magnanimous cool company. It sucks that HWUB is getting stiffed but this isn't the first time this has happened in the tech press and it's certainly not a practice unique to Nvidia. I'm honestly surprised that more reviewers aren't just doing the end-run and going out and buying a card if their coverage is going to be stonewalled by NV PR anyway.

TheJeffers fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 9, 2019

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
"Critical YouTubers"

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Please stop linking videos to that clickbait idiot.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

TheJeffers posted:

I'm honestly surprised that more reviewers aren't just doing the end-run and going out and buying a card if their coverage is going to be stonewalled by NV PR anyway.

My understanding is that getting any sort of traction on YouTube requires you to be in the very first wave of videos posted on any given new release. Which is only possible if you get the card in advance of the embargo lift / release day.

However, I don't really get why you'd bitch about it in a YouTube video... especially if your gripe essentially acknowledges that you understand that it's a PR game, not some search for objective truth. It'd be preferable, but that's not the name of the game.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think it's pretty funny tbh.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

sauer kraut posted:

Please stop linking videos to that clickbait idiot.

Agreed no AdoredTV videos please

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Welp so much for AMD being competitive in GPU's for 2019, here's to 2020

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Hmmmm, $699 you say.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
lol @ people who bought the leak that it would be $300

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7nm-cpu-radeon,38399.html

quote:

The Radeon Vega VII will be available February 7th. AMD will sell the card through third-party retailers as usual beginning on October 7, but the company will also sell the card directly, a new tactic for AMD, through its website beginning February 7.

AMDs direct store has an 8 month exclusive? :confused:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It is probably a typo, should be the same day/month

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So if you're Nvidia seeing whatever the hell AMD just put out with Radeon VII, you're pretty much pushing your 7nm node shrink series to next year, right? Maybe before Intel put out something.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

ufarn posted:

So if you're Nvidia seeing whatever the hell AMD just put out with Radeon VII, you're pretty much pushing your 7nm node shrink series to next year, right? Maybe before Intel put out something.

Might as well. Sad to see AMD didn't try to undercut the 2080 on price. Gaming's going nowhere for the time being it seems :(

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Feeling pretty good about spending $520 on a barely used 1080ti and selling my 1070 for like $220 to a friend and just sitting on this for the next couple years. Upgrade to zen2 at some point I guess

Kinda stuck with Nvidia gpus though between the gsync monitor and gamestream on a shield tv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
This is a show off my poo poo post, sorry. I think SHSC really could use a box thread. But there is a little value here showing what I needed to do to make a G12 bracket fit in an SG13 for those who might be interested. I posted earlier about having problems and I resolved that and this is the rebuild after

I delidded and added a copper IHS. Every bit counts in a case like this. I also lapped the CPU die, IHS, GPU waterblock, which surprisingly helped quite a bit across the board.

If you are familiar with G12 brackets you will notice what's been removed. I had to take off the whole horizontal bar on top and make a slot for the power plugs in my case were facing the wrong way with the clips. I also notched out a corner to prevent the hoses from being pinched.

Bringing it back with some fan grillllllllllllllllllllllls

Install procedure was obnoxious, I had to install the card first then the bracket and block. Not as bad as it might seem but it is bad. I didn't see any way around this with my reference card length and general dimensional problems all around

About as packed as it gets

Performance time:

I added slim Noctua 120mm fans to replace the 1x 120mm Corsair fan on this H50i AIO. YMMV on better AIOs but one fan was not cutting it before. At full speed the new fans keep the temperature in regular AIO ranges (50-60*) but I put the low noise adapters on them where they are virtually silent but still manage to keep it below 77* under a long looping 3d mark load. For me this is perfect, the GPU + AIO is basically silent but never throttles. The CPU cooler is another matter as its small and kind of loving sucks but with the delid its running no higher than 80* under a long CPU load. Its a 9700k that isnt OC'd yet but I have a bit of headroom it looks like for a small OC, such as a 4.9ghz all core lock.

This case was a lot of work but the end result is very satisfying and its running cooler overall than I'd have imagined. Without the cover everything drops 10-15* though, which makes that tempting. Currently I have airflow directed out the front but I am curious to flip the fans around just to see what happens but another time

What a cutie. That stack of laptops there are 13" HP netbooks for size comparison