Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
"run the UK into the ground speedrun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I thought there was supposed to be a shortage of semen

corbyn makes pearl jam

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

isn’t there an issue with certain goods being prevented for export by the EU if the destination country’s customs checks are deemed insufficient? ie medicines and nuclear/chemical materials ?

I would imagine lassiez faire border controls would do that

Mighty Steed
Apr 16, 2005
Nice horsey

Baloogan posted:

"run the UK into the ground speedrun"

Watch this - I'm just gonna use a rare consistutional glitch to break these treaties and shave 4 months off my time.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Knowing that if you've got an unsafe product or food that doesn't meet the requirements for other countries you can still ship it to the UK will really help stimulate global trade.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

There's nothing the UK exports that the EU can't get somewhere else instead.

Except bad teeth, heyooooo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

prefect posted:

I'm thinking "Upper-Class Twit of the Year".

Can we skip ahead to the bit where the tories run themselves over?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I think the UK is enjoying dying in the worst way imaginable.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

do you guys still use the word "dickensian" much because I reckon it is going to come back in a big way

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think dickens era England was more rational and had a better future

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I guarantee in the worst case scenario the brexiteers will all be screaming 'WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US' about everything, or more like blaming the EU and the minorities and the liberals. Likely all of the above.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

yeah i guess 19th century britain but without citrus fruits stolen from colonial possessions is considerably worse

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I guarantee in the worst case scenario the brexiteers will all be screaming 'WHY DIDN'T EU TELL US' about everything, and also enjoy blaming the EU and the minorities and the liberals. Likely all of the above.

Fixed

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

economist: the economy works(or in this case doesn't) because of x and y

nationalist: the economy works because Britain is great, what do you mean a truck delay makes everyone lose millions

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I guarantee in the worst case scenario the brexiteers will all be screaming 'WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US' about everything, or more like blaming the EU and the minorities and the liberals. Likely all of the above.

I'm thinking the victims will be blamed for insufficiently-stiff upper lips.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

so if England applied to be relet into the EU they probably have to give up the pound right ?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius posted:

so if England applied to be relet into the EU they probably have to give up the pound right ?

lol

the Uk hasn't even left yet, if the UK leaves and then reapplies, who the gently caress knows, the pound will probably be decimated and will be lucky to be worth as much as the euro.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It really seems like you guys are doing post-war Iraq reconstruction to yourselves

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gripweed posted:

It really seems like you guys are doing post-war Iraq reconstruction to yourselves

You've figured out what the Torie brexiteers get out of this

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

so is this likely to finish off what remains of quaint English/Welsh/Scottish villages and poo poo people picture when they imagine the british isles? like all those semi-rural picturesque places surely require tremendous subsidies that largely come from the EU and probably rely, to some extent, on tourism and the cheapness of goods so are they just going to wither and die

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Oh gently caress christ

All the emergency funds will go to emergency firms set up one month ago and run very badly by Tories and their bezzie mates. There will be inquiries as money vanishes and people die. Strong reccomendations. No consequences.

No Tory will see any blame for brexit once the dust settles. Corbyns plan to avoid the blame is insanely naive and pretty stupid. Within 3 years all the media and 70 percent of the public blame corbyn for brexit like labour and the GFC.

No brexiteer will realise theyr wrong

The narrative will immediately switch to being stabbed in the back by elitist eucrats and scheming subhuman migrants

/prophecy ends

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
hey what's cameron up to these days anyway

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Microprophecy:
The economic devastation caused by brexit is blamed on brexit for a full year but by 2021 the narrative is back to wasteful state spending on immigrant benefits has bankrupted us and the media has no memory of brexits effects.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Microprophecy:
The economic devastation caused by brexit is blamed on brexit for a full year but by 2021 the narrative is back to wasteful state spending on immigrant benefits has bankrupted us and the media has no memory of brexits effects.

I dunno, everyone has spent the past three years talking about Brexit. It's not like some law that was debated for a couple months and then passed and a year later a bad thing happens. I'm not in Britain but it seems like Brexit has been the number one topic of discussion for like, literally years now. And when Brexit happens there's going to be a very sharp and obvious change.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Oh gently caress christ

All the emergency funds will go to emergency firms set up one month ago and run very badly by Tories and their bezzie mates. There will be inquiries as money vanishes and people die. Strong reccomendations. No consequences.

No Tory will see any blame for brexit once the dust settles. Corbyns plan to avoid the blame is insanely naive and pretty stupid. Within 3 years all the media and 70 percent of the public blame corbyn for brexit like labour and the GFC.

No brexiteer will realise theyr wrong

The narrative will immediately switch to being stabbed in the back by elitist eucrats and scheming subhuman migrants

/prophecy ends

It's cool that on the right and left the main reason to hate Corbyn is their own fan-fiction.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

logikv9 posted:

I think the UK is enjoying dying in the worst way imaginable.

They are in the acceptance stage of grief but have no idea what they've accepted and will loop back at the start once hard brexit happens

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Frog Act posted:

so is this likely to finish off what remains of quaint English/Welsh/Scottish villages and poo poo people picture when they imagine the british isles? like all those semi-rural picturesque places surely require tremendous subsidies that largely come from the EU and probably rely, to some extent, on tourism and the cheapness of goods so are they just going to wither and die

Not if they come up with a better system (the CAP essentially funnels money to big landowners as the basic payment is based on land area, not use) but on the other hand it's Britain

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obliterati posted:

Not if they come up with a better system (the CAP essentially funnels money to big landowners as the basic payment is based on land area, not use) but on the other hand it's Britain

yeah I mean poo poo the whole country is based upon funnelling money to big landowners lol

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

JFairfax posted:

yeah I mean poo poo the whole country is based upon funnelling money to big landowners lol

:thejoke:

And so's the CAP

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Obliterati posted:

:thejoke:

And so's the CAP

dont u dats da joke me

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Frog Act posted:

Yes. Someone on twitter posted a thread about how tariffs on sheepmeat will immediately jump to 50% (ballpark) and there's more than enough Aussie and Kiwi capacity to undercut most non-industrial sheep farmers even without tariffs.

Scotland and Wales are extra hosed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/AndyMcDonaldMP/status/1082672290968584192

drat, this is as bad as the contract the US gave to some guy in the middle of nowhere who had a three-person team and wanted to do all the rewiring for Puerto Rico.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

tarbrush posted:

Yes. Someone on twitter posted a thread about how tariffs on sheepmeat will immediately jump to 50% (ballpark) and there's more than enough Aussie and Kiwi capacity to undercut most non-industrial sheep farmers even without tariffs.

Scotland and Wales are extra hosed.

As far as I’ve seen the massive amount of CAP funding is being replaced with a “Lol get hosed”. Even if they don’t get undercut farmers are still hosed

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Fans posted:

As far as I’ve seen the massive amount of CAP funding is being replaced with a “Lol get hosed”. Even if they don’t get undercut farmers are still hosed

Yep. It's darkly hilarious just how screwed farmers and fishermen are.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

tarbrush posted:

They’re often die hard Tory too. No idea why they thought the Tories would be happy to keep subsidising them when it’s something Tories bitch about endlessly.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tarbrush posted:

grimsby reinvented itself from a major fishing town to one of the biggest fish trade ports in the UK and voted 70% for brexit which is going to destroy the new industry because they wanted to be able to fish again. nobody loving likes working as a fisherman its a hard job that pays like poo poo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Fans posted:

what is CAP? is it essentially farming subsidies like we have in the US, only instead of land barons its just given to like regular barons who also own a lot of land?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Frog Act posted:

what is CAP? is it essentially farming subsidies like we have in the US, only instead of land barons its just given to like regular barons who also own a lot of land?

Precisely

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Why don't you all copy what France is doing right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Frog Act posted:

The Common Agricultural Policy is the EU's funding route for agriculture, and whilst member states can bolt on their own side policies it mostly rewards land ownership and 'land stewardship', both of which obviously reward people with lots of land. This map of Scotland is five years old but if anything it'll have consolidated since