Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sure, AOC has a lack of knowledge. It certainly isn't on par with Palin's. The other huge differences are that AOC not only can learn, but has the interest to do so as well.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Sure, AOC has a lack of knowledge. It certainly isn't on par with Palin's. The other huge differences are that AOC not only can learn, but has the interest to do so as well.

She literally has a colllege degree in economics. Palin couldnt name a single newspaper.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Doctor Butts posted:

Honestly though, I didn't expect it to happen this quick.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

When you look at the GOP she is clearly head and shoulders above the average conservative congress person but for some reason there aren't daily OPEDs talking about how much they need to learn.

The centrist media is not your friend and it's not up for debate.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doctor Butts posted:

palin didn't know what "the fed" was dude.

nobody was comparing paul ryan to palin despite everything him saying being insanely wrong.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Nucleic Acids posted:

Have any networks other than CNN, CBS, and NBC said anything about carrying the response to Trump’s speech?

Not sure but honestly that's way better than I expected. I didn't think any network would do it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Petr posted:

20 years from now, extremely left posters from here will be repeating "but remember how dumb she was?" because it will be a Known Fact about her that everyone just accepts.

Yep. They have tried several negative narratives against her. It turns out that people weren't bothered that she grew up in Bronx suburbia rather than the Hood. It turns out people are OK with the fact that she can dance. So now they are trying the "cute but dumb" angle.

Eventually they will find something that sticks, and then it will be the only thing anyone ever remembers about her.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Radish posted:

When you look at the GOP she is clearly head and shoulders above the average conservative congress person but for some reason there aren't daily OPEDs talking about how much they need to learn.

The centrist media is not your friend and it's not up for debate.

Tom loving Cotton still exists, why isn't everyone calling him out for being a complete dullard?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

palin didn't know what "the fed" was dude.

Every Republican spent the day gloating they don't understand how taxes work but yeah it's AOC that needs to learn more.

Solkanar512 posted:

Tom loving Cotton still exists, why isn't everyone calling him out for being a complete dullard?

"I'll have you know he went to Harvard and is a conservative so he must be very smart" -generic WAPO/NYT pundit.

AOC is like a honey trap for Sensible Centrists to show that they are just Republicans that know a tiny bit of PR.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jan 8, 2019

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

You know why

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tom cotton runs every day so he can eat a single piece of white sheet cake.

and here's that smiling moron bill maher has on too often:

https://twitter.com/JackKingston/status/1082277309330132992

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 8, 2019

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Radish posted:

Every Republican spent the day gloating they don't understand how taxes work but yeah it's AOC that needs to learn more.

I got free lunch from my co-workers for a week once after betting them all that they had a profound misunderstanding about how marginal tax rates work. Boomers by and large are so ignorant that it would be funny if they didn't vote.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fallom posted:

Yes I would say that Trump is honest or not. Great poll question.

Literally nobody answered that question as if it were an OR in a programming language, dummy

Every single person understands what they want

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

Plus his name is Tom loving Cotton and he's from Arkansas and he's a racist misogynistic shitlord. Tom loving Cotton.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Radish posted:

"I'll have you know he went to Harvard and is a conservative so he must be very smart" -generic WAPO/NYT pundit.

Whenever I learn that someone I'm talking to went to Harvard or any Ivy League school I start talking slower and using my hands more when I'm speaking.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wish people would shut the gently caress up about AOC at this point, the media's obsession over her is grating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

Literally nobody answered that question as if it were an OR in a programming language, dummy

Every single person understands what they want

I wouldn’t bet on that

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Butts posted:

Sure, AOC has a lack of knowledge.

What the gently caress is this drivel

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

As someone who has both a graduate and an undergraduate degree AND has had to work scut jobs to make ends meet anyway, FUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUU dude. Why do all these assholes live in a world where "college degree == high paying job!"?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I wrote a fool-proof SOTU response that can be performed by a semi-lucid trained bonobo if requred:

"That's cool, Donnie. But you did say Mexico was going to pay for it. Where's the money?"

*mic drop*

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

As someone who has both a graduate and an undergraduate degree AND has had to work scut jobs to make ends meet anyway, FUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUU dude. Why do all these assholes live in a world where "college degree == high paying job!"?

Because that's how it was when they were getting out of college and they think that's how poo poo still is.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

I wish people would shut the gently caress up about AOC at this point, the media's obsession over her is grating.

It's pretty clear there's a coordinated attempt by the media to gaslight the public into thinking she's dumb and oh so crazy usung a standard they hold literally no one else to so I think it's important when people push back against it so it doesn't get normalized. Every dumbass Mad Boot or Glen Kessler tweet gets pounded with actual fact checking which is good so far.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Fallom posted:

I wouldn’t bet on that

Here's the other part you don't understand : Almost nobody said "yes" or "no" to the question. They said "honest" or "not honest", and the clever pollster checked "yes" or "no" accordingly!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Grapplejack posted:

The media's obsession with her and her alone is grating when we had such a lovely cast of fresh congresswomen.

The media's obsession with being disemboweled by her, on the other hand, is delicious schadenfreude.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Do you think that every time some asshat posts some AOC hot take they post it, recline a bit in their chair with a sly smirk on their face, and say “got em”?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

Stop watching anti-vaxxers like Bill Maher. He was owned by loving BILL FRIST over the issue years ago.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
AOC isn't lacking in knowledge you goon. She got a number wrong but her point is sound.

Are people comparing her to Palin? loving really? One of the dumbest laziest fucks in politics and people are comparing her to AOC?

Really?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Groovelord Neato posted:

Turns out a college degree is nice but not as helpful as coming from a rich and/or connected family, like most non-scholarship students at ivy league schools do.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Grapplejack posted:

Not going to happen, better get used to it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I'm used to targeted attacks on politicians that loop endlessly in the media.
But it's funny to me that all of the multi-billion right wing think tanks agreed to use "not smart" as the attack on AOC for the last few weeks.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grapplejack posted:

The right has focused on her as representing the changing demographics that are scaring the poo poo out of them and they're dead set on smearing her so they can dismiss women and people of color again publicly.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mike the TV posted:

I'm used to targeted attacks on politicians that loop endlessly in the media.
But it's funny to me that all of the multi-billion right wing think tanks agreed to use "not smart" as the attack on AOC for the last few weeks.

Yeah, that's the dumbest route of attack for someone so obviously intelligent with credentials that back it up. So of course they're going with that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeha kinda weird to go after her on smarts when your entire platform is "we're morons and so are you".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They treat her like a teenager fresh out of high school. But the whole media in general has been training people and themselves to consider millennials to be permanent children.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What I don't get is people here freaking out that the media are going to broadcast the president giving a speech. What do you think this speech is actually going to DO? Are you afraid Trump is going to turn into a master orator overnight and dig himself out of his eternal 38-42% approval hole? That this, finally, is going to be the :master: pivot that flips everything in his favor out of nowhere? Seriously?

Trump was the stupidest assole alive in 2016, and he's been in a continuous state of cognitive decline ever since. He's going to figuratively and/or literally poo poo his pants with a :saddowns: face in front of millions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The big newspapers just published an absurd race baiting story about prisoners eating high on the hog during the shutdown riddled with mistruths but yeah AOC getting a number wrong is what we need to be focusing on since she needs to learn. This from the guys that said Iraq was going to be easy and never looked back.

The faster the newspapers oped sections and cable news discredit thenselves with everyone the better.

sean10mm posted:

What I don't get is people here freaking out that the media are going to broadcast the president giving a speech. What do you think this speech is actually going to DO? Are you afraid Trump is going to turn into a master orator overnight and dig himself out of his eternal 38-42% approval hole? That this, finally, is going to be the :master: pivot that flips everything in his favor out of nowhere? Seriously?

Trump was the stupidest assole alive in 2016, and he's been in a continuous state of cognitive decline ever since. He's going to figuratively and/or literally poo poo his pants with a :saddowns: face in front of millions.

He's going to continue normalizing white supremacy and muddy the debate with lies the media is not capable of rebutting effectively. It also signals that the "objective" media is still more than willing to work with Trump in a way they weren't with Obama which should be troubling to anyone.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do you think that every time some asshat posts some AOC hot take they post it, recline a bit in their chair with a sly smirk on their face, and say “got em”?

Yep. Then they get ratio'ed into the ground on Twitter and they bemoan the evil fake liberal media, all according to plan.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Groovelord Neato posted:

Lol this is making a way different point than he thinks

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ACTBrigitte/status/1082357218631188480

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

sean10mm posted:

I tend to think, given that there won't be an audience to tempt him to get extemporaneous, "boring teleprompter speech by clearly sedated persimmon in approximate shape of man" is more likely, but he's also been working himself up about the wall steel slats for a while so a meltdown is possible!