Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The other historical almost married life manga got an official release recently :toot:

Featuring a big dog and some other characters I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

sinky posted:

The other historical almost married life manga got an official release recently :toot:

Featuring a big dog and some other characters I guess

Thank you for this! Shiba and Rati are such cuties, and I enjoy how happy the village is :3: It’s very cozy.

One thing I enjoy about the art style besides the gorgeous scenery is how often Shiba’s drawn with the wide-eyed cartoony :eek: face whenever he’s in the background or just goofily spacing out. It’s simple but gets me laughing every time.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nondevor posted:

Thank you for this! Shiba and Rati are such cuties, and I enjoy how happy the village is :3: It’s very cozy.

One thing I enjoy about the art style besides the gorgeous scenery is how often Shiba’s drawn with the wide-eyed cartoony :eek: face whenever he’s in the background or just goofily spacing out. It’s simple but gets me laughing every time.

It's such a good comic. I also love that the dog is real and accurately sized.

Tibetan mastiffs are gigantic.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I was rereading Thorfinn in Jutland when he first reunites with Leif and asks about Vinland instead of his family, he even asks if it's been settled yet. A bit later during his final duel with Askeladd after Thorfinn hears Askeladd's past he wonders about "the promised land". It's really neat the Yukimura planted the seed to grow into the latter half of Vinland so much earlier than I realised. Obviously the inevitable journey to Vinland was always there I guess but the specific idea of Thorfinn trying to find a promised magical land of peace.

I really like Hild and lmao that anyone would be interesting in comparing hers and Thorfinn's power level. I would like to see more characterisation of her. I agreed with the post that mentioned her being a mass of wasted potential for all the great things she could have (hopefully will) bring to humanity due to her desire for revenge. That said I feel like she's been a bit too one note and I'd like to see her interactions with people other than Thorfinn.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

You know what's a good moment it's when Einar says Thorfinn new haircut is good because he doesn't look strong anymore I love Vinland saga thanks for listening

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Rodyle posted:

You know what's a good moment it's when Einar says Thorfinn new haircut is good because he doesn't look strong anymore I love Vinland saga thanks for listening

V quality moment, also big fan of helga calling Einar her son also. Think a lot about Thorfinn eagerly trying to lick Halfdan's boot also.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
I'm surprised that no one seems to be reading Azumi in this thread.

It's finished in Japan 1994-2009 but still being translated by scanners. I am really into it, and the good thing is that they are close to the end of the story with scans, so there's tons to read if you haven't read it before.

I know that kissmanga has it, but I'm not sure about anywhere else.

If you like ninjas, samurai, some nudity, pre 17th century Japan, and lots of blood and gore then you will love Azumi.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Well it sure starts with a bang. Jesus.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hamelekim posted:

It's finished in Japan 1994-2009 but still being translated by scanners. I am really into it, and the good thing is that they are close to the end of the story with scans, so there's tons to read if you haven't read it before.

If you like ninjas, samurai, some nudity, pre 17th century Japan, and lots of blood and gore then you will love Azumi
Foreign History Manga Thread

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Coaaab posted:

Foreign History Manga Thread

Foreign to Japan or to North America? I never know what that means.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hamelekim posted:

Foreign to Japan or to North America? I never know what that means.

Foreign to Japan. Basically, people writing about somewhere they're not from.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

chiasaur11 posted:

Foreign to Japan. Basically, people writing about somewhere they're not from.

Ah, so Japanese Manga authors not writing about Japan, I get it now. Well, I'll take my Azumi elsewhere then.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
certainly wouldn't wanna clutter up this extremely busy thread with non-authentic history mangas.

there are just so many to choose from, after all.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Hamelekim posted:

If you like ninjas, samurai, some nudity, pre 17th century Japan, and lots of blood and gore then you will love Azumi.

I’m an avid reader but never brought it up here because of how much the samurais love rape.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I think nobody draws random bandits quite like the azumi guy.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
There's a new Vinland Saga chapter out, y'all.

Heeeeeeeere's Thorkell! :getin:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Mikl posted:

There's a new Vinland Saga chapter out, y'all.

Heeeeeeeere's Thorkell! :getin:

Someone has been watching The Shining.

Hamelekim fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 25, 2018

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

https://mangadex.org/chapter/505414

a+ reference

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the mad bastard actually did it lol

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I love it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

loving incredible

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Maomao update, Maomao gets a present

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I found a cool manga about being a logistics officer in early 20th century not-Muscovy

https://mangadex.org/title/8002/guns-and-stamps

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Plutonis posted:

I found a cool manga about being a logistics officer in early 20th century not-Muscovy

https://mangadex.org/title/8002/guns-and-stamps
What a weird disconnect between the cutesy style and the grim subject matter. Not just visually, but there are these silly slapstick kind of scenarios and then all of a sudden someone dies and there's a weird lack of weight to it.

I don't regret reading it. It's a very cute manga with an interesting premise. I only got through the first volume so far, and it might develop more after that, but it seems like something written by a tech-obsessed military fanboy who just likes cute things.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
The author has a type, a lot of his stuff features ww2 Russian waifus. I think his other serialization was about a lady lieutenant teaming up with baba yaga to fight the British werewolf corps or something :ussr:

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 9, 2019

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

OH from the Witch Vasenka's War guy

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Eiba posted:

What a weird disconnect between the cutesy style and the grim subject matter. Not just visually, but there are these silly slapstick kind of scenarios and then all of a sudden someone dies and there's a weird lack of weight to it.

TBH I think that captures the character of prolonged war pretty nicely, like when Martina sees the hill where the officers she was being friendly to is blown up and the people inside are killed and can barely bring up words to talk about it.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
New Otoyomegatari, a short one from December about every new cat owner's evolution into an awful furry little goblin doter

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Those meat pies at the end look delicious.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

So for those keeping track the top tier is presently

1. samsa 2. Great grandma 3. Mustache guy

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New Vinland Saga - https://mangadex.org/chapter/529430/1

This chapter is "Chapter 158 - Baltic Sea War - Part 34". Which means the "Baltic Sea War" arc already comprises over 20% of the entire series so far.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Thorfinn's faces at the end are my everything.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

JosephWongKS posted:

New Vinland Saga - https://mangadex.org/chapter/529430/1

This chapter is "Chapter 158 - Baltic Sea War - Part 34". Which means the "Baltic Sea War" arc already comprises over 20% of the entire series so far.
Mangadex seems to be kinda hosed so I found this imgur album:
https://imgur.com/a/FwCd2dH

I've been really enjoying the random soldier perspectives we've been getting now and then and this chapter is no exception.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm glad it's not just me then, and yeah, I'm going to second about the random soldier's perspective. They're really good.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
wtf why is Bigfoot here. Did I stumble into a different manga?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ANIME AKBAR posted:

wtf why is Bigfoot here. Did I stumble into a different manga?

He was Floki's last ditch ultimate weapon.

It didn't really work.

Theowulv
Feb 21, 2015

My wall can now attack
Ymir's probably not an actual monster just a really big guy with a a bunch of abnormalities and a pretty lovely guardian.

Theowulv fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 30, 2019

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

chiasaur11 posted:

He was Floki's last ditch ultimate weapon.

It didn't really work.

Tharkell was impressed, though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The author probably saw those "Wolfman" people who have that genetic thing that makes them hairy all over their body and animefied it to the extreme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahkri
Oct 16, 2012
The PV is out for Vinland Saga:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkJmBWvCfNU

Not sure how janky the CG is going to be but it looks promising so far