Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

TulliusCicero posted:

Imagine thinking Trump of all people can convince democrats to defect on ANYTHING with 8 minutes to ramble

Like, Jared Kushner is profoundly loving stupid, jesus christ

the art of the squeal

edit: dog draining the swamp

an AOL chatroom fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TulliusCicero posted:

Oh man, this really is not going to play well. I know a LOT of millenials (myself) included who are absolutely loving bitter and incensed about the big lie we were sold about college and high paying jobs, and how we have to continue to work entry level jobs because: there are not enough high paying jobs offered, and the absolute trap of requiring years of experience in the field for getting an entry level position on your field.

This is why millenials loving hate boomers and older people. Dumb rear end know nothing old fucks just like this guy. Even right leaning millenials could sympathize with AOC here.

They just keep stepping into bear traps and will never loving learn.

loving this. I graduated a BA with honors but because of various illness, it took a while so i have very little actual work experience but i have a decent amount of volunteer experience. almost a year later i am looking for entry level jobs in retail or clerical stuff. i am going through an NGO to see if they can help me because they help people with disabilities. but they basically told me to look for local below min wage poo poo. i got lucky and have an interview tomarrow, at the disney store. so maybe i can get a foothold there. gently caress boomers.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

Given the legitimate concern in this thread earlier about AOC getting attention over all of the other awesome new reps doing cool poo poo idk if a whole thread is a good idea?

Maybe a thread about Congress in general? I'd want to be able to bring up Omar and Tlaib and others when they are in the news.

Thread about the new Congresswoman but the OP only consists of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBmMU_iwe6U

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Bah. I was hoping for Snoop Dogg.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Because no one voted for Trump to take down the wealthy and powerful, moron

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

I know the mid-term election was a long time ago. but I put together a graph showing how it fits into some historical patterns in the senate vote, and why it represents a change.

The senatorial vote goes on a 12-year pattern. That is because there is three different senate classes, with one third-of them up for election every two years, and then with the added cycle of whether it was a presidential election. Class 1, who had a mid-term election in 2018, were up during a general election in 2012, and last had mid-term elections in 2006. Of the Senatorial classes, one of them, Class 2, by chance is mostly from states with smaller populations, which also tends to be more conservative.

Mid-term elections have lower turnouts. The years with Class 2 senators lining up with mid-terms are the troughs on the chart: 1990, 2002, and 2014. The most active years are years where Senatorial Class 1 and 3 coincides with a presidential election. Mid-terms with 1 and 3, as well as Presidential elections with 2, tend to be in between.

Which is why you can see Bat-Man's cowl on this, twice, separated by the 2002 mid-terms.

Two things to remember: first, the Republican "Wave" years showed very small advantages in numbers. Look at 1994 and 2010: its just a little bump, but because they occurred in mid-terms, that small advantage in numbers translated to a big gain in seats.

And another thing to look at: before about 2004, those numbers were pretty close together. The senate was less partisan, and senators had a good chance of keeping their head above water when political changes came. Since that year, notice that the gaps between the parties have been growing wider.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thegalagakid posted:

I can already hear "Tonight Trump became the President" as a geriatric racist manages to not foam at the mouth talking about asylum seekers.

i don't think so. that time loving passed after his first year. he is gonna do some stupid horrible poo poo and gurgle and lie and then the media will talk about how much of moron he is because that makes more money/views.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I bet the TV show man with golden buildings will really stick it to those fat cats.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SocketWrench posted:

Because no one voted for Trump to take down the wealthy and powerful, moron

Well some did to put the Jews Globalists back in their place.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

The Super-Id posted:

I bet the TV show man with golden buildings will really stick it to those fat cats.

Salt of the earth, that one

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

"Clearly they were asking for it"

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
Trump is going to screw this up and then cancel the SOTU. None of the media will call him out.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I gotta admit, several months ago I doubted the value of AOC spending so much time and effort owning right-wingers on Twitter. But if she can use that to trick the rest of the media into clear, appealing policy discussions that's really something and speaks to a bright future for both her and the Congressional left in general.

I would also like to hear her answer to the "what newspapers do you read" question (seriously, I'm sure she'd have a good and thoughtful answer).

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1082667096616636417

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

So apparently Joe Manchin might not be racist. Apparently being a Republican in every other way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ManInTheHoody/status/1082438655430471681

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1082664478704062464?s=19

Dunno much about this person but here ya go

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Well if she ever shows up stateside again, maybe it'll matter.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Super-Id posted:

Really the tragedy of the 2016 election is that the guy who was born with a silver spoon shoved firmly in his rear end who lives in a literal golden tower WAS able to play to the fears and worries of working class people than the lady who actually came from that background.

Like, it was wrong, blaming immigrants and poo poo is not the correct solution, but it was literally 'America is already great!!!' vs a dude saying 'poo poo sucks and the immigrants and jews did it to you' so woops.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

loving this. I graduated a BA with honors but because of various illness, it took a while so i have very little actual work experience but i have a decent amount of volunteer experience. almost a year later i am looking for entry level jobs in retail or clerical stuff. i am going through an NGO to see if they can help me because they help people with disabilities. but they basically told me to look for local below min wage poo poo. i got lucky and have an interview tomarrow, at the disney store. so maybe i can get a foothold there. gently caress boomers.

A cousin of mine is fresh out of high school and trying to find part-time work. He's applied to basically every crappy job in town and hasn't even gotten a response yet because even dishwashers have college degrees in this town.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

sexpig by night posted:

lol when one of his fans did the worst antisemitic attack in American history because of his admin's lies about the caravan he was praised by all the majors for 'comforting' people despite no one wanting him there.

Also even if your timeline is right it wasn't Fox that had ~Military Experts~ all but openly beating off about how beautiful missile strikes are.

Pence brought along a crypto-fundy "rabbi" to speak to the synagogue who believes that all jews are going to hell

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The collective media needs to get its head out of its rear end and realize they aren't the noble good guys here by constantly propogating Republican hate speech and lies in their privledged notion of "fairness" before it's just the right wing that sees them as the enemy of the people.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jan 8, 2019

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

I've said it before, but I'd like for any of the assholes knocking AOC to attempt to work even one busy shift at a bar or restaurant. They'd probably end up pulling their hair out, dissolving into tears, getting fired, or some combination of the three before the rush even hit.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

So apparently Joe Manchin might not be racist. Apparently being a Republican in every other way.

No, he's probably racist too; he just realizes that the DACA-for-wall deal was the best offer Trump was going to get and he's trying to resurrect it. Schumer needs to slap him down hard.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

cr0y posted:

Dunno much about this person but here ya go

She's the one who met with the Jr., Jared, Manafort brain trust.

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
Aw drat, that picture makes me her look so trustworthy too.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Oh yes, just a misstatement, good thing she didn't say "motherfucker" or anything progressive

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Crow Jane posted:

I've said it before, but I'd like for any of the assholes knocking AOC to attempt to work even one busy shift at a bar or restaurant. They'd probably end up pulling their hair out, dissolving into tears, getting fired, or some combination of the three before the rush even hit.

Since we elect reality tv people now, we should just make a show where elected officials at the federal level have to work a service job for a month before they're allowed to vote on anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I feel awful for the Russian lawyer that reported her fraud in Russia and got arrested for it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

No, he's probably racist too; he just realizes that the DACA-for-wall deal was the best offer Trump was going to get and he's trying to resurrect it. Schumer needs to slap him down hard.

If it's Manchin is definetely racist and probably the kind of deal where the Dreamers have to work for a decade without being unemployed while their family gets deported.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Apparently, the Russia thread was gassed overnight.

It was, at times, a good resource at keeping track of what was going on.

I believe that an involved, massive legal investigation into the President of the United States that has led to the convictions and guilty pleadings of his closest advisors, and that is continuing to expand, is more important than covering the latest Sick Twitter Burns, but I appear to be in the minority as far as that goes.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Yes, I know that when I want to change minds, I call in Jared loving Kushner.

I swear, if I was actually on the fence, hearing his nasal-rear end voice on the phone going "But you HAAAAAAAVE to support it" would scare me off in a hurry.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

SocketWrench posted:

Oh yes, just a misstatement, good thing she didn't say "motherfucker" or anything progressive

How many whoppers/pinocchios was this worth?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

RuanGacho posted:

Since we elect reality tv people now, we should just make a show where elected officials at the federal level have to work a service job for a month before they're allowed to vote on anything.

It's honestly kinda hard trying to figure out who'd be the worst at it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/The_Law_Boy/status/1082671739346259968

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Best thing about working in the restaurant industry:

- Drugs everywhere

- Chefs and I were tight

- Crying in the bathroom

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Guze posted:

How many whoppers/pinocchios was this worth?

I only respect the authority of the pants of fire needle.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think Chuck and Nancy doing it is smart.

These responses are always disasters, and chuck and nancy have nothing to lose. You don't change any minds, you're not going to improv up some sick world ending burn, and the best case scenario is everyone forgets about it ten minutes later with the exception of how weird your lips looked.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/RepDebHaaland/status/1081605249218109441

Get hosed Gaetz! For those that don't know, Deb Haaland is a Pueblo Congresswoman elected in the new class! I hope she does great things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

HobbitGrease posted:

Aw drat, that picture makes me her look so trustworthy too.

She is about to unhinge her jaw and devour the poor fool out of frame.